PDA

View Full Version : Stupid computer swapping question

Darkwolf
12-11-2010, 10:04 PM
I'm swapping the computer in my 89 van with a computer from an 89 spirit. I've never messed with the computers in one of these and before I screw something up I just wanted to know if there is any trick to getting the computer guts out of the plastic. Is it just a matter of going around the edge of the rubber goo with a knife?
http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46646
that part

Thanks

6daytonas
12-12-2010, 11:04 AM
'89 computers are SMEC's (except for the '89 CSX which is an SBEC). The Power Module and Logic Module are housed in the same plastic chassis and mounted on the forward driver's side bulkead. As long as you are swapping like SMEC's, you'll be fine. I.E. a 2.5TI SMEC from a Spirit will work in a 2.5TI Daytona. You do not want to try and run a 2.5 off of a 2.2 SMEC, nor do you want to run a TII SMEC on a TBI car, etc...

The unit pictured in the thread you reference is a Logic Module. If you open the chassis of the SMEC, you'll see that the Logic Module will pull right out. Ususally folks just swap the entire SMEC over, instead of splitting things up. Unless you are adding a socket to the Logic Board, which allows you to reflash and tune your calibration, you should never have to get into the guts of a Logic Module.

Darkwolf
12-12-2010, 12:40 PM
Well the plastic housing off the van is way different than the spirit so I have to yank the guts out. The power module popped right out but the Logic module seems glued in.

Alright I got it apart. It was just a matter of going around the edge with a knife.

turbovanmanČ
12-13-2010, 02:41 AM
Its not that diffferent, you have to simply trim off the air snorkle snout, been there, got the badge, :p