PDA

View Full Version : Wonky pulleys

BlueBaron
06-28-2006, 02:32 AM
I'm having a problem lining up the pulleys on my car.

First the waterpump was a problem. If I remember right, it has a word stamped on the pulley "front". But if put on either way, it didn't line up with the corresponding pulley on the crank. The solution was to shim it.
Now I have the alternator in place, and it's not lining up with the crank again.
This is telling me the crank pulley is at fault.

Is there different crank pulleys for different years/cranks/blocks?

Can the crank timing gear be different? Or even installed backwards or such?

Info:
car is an '87 LeBaron that was T1
Engine is a common block 2.5
water pump and it's pulley are '87
crank pulley is '87
crank gear is not my original one
timing belt is square tooth

iTurbo
06-28-2006, 02:50 AM
It may be possible your crank gear is not pressed on all the way. It uses a special tool to remove and install it to the crank snout. Are the teeth for the timing belt on the crank gear lining up with the other cam and intermediate shaft gears?

86Shelby
06-28-2006, 07:47 AM
Info:
car is an '87 LeBaron that was T1
Engine is a common block 2.5
water pump and it's pulley are '87
crank pulley is '87
crank gear is not my original one
timing belt is square tooth

How did you get the '87 pulley to work on the common block? The bolt pattern on the pulley and crank sprocket are different. Since it's a common block it should use a round tooth belt and timing sprockets as well....

I don't have any problems running my older accessories on my common block. I am also using the common block crank pulley.

Clay
06-28-2006, 11:36 AM
what the heck is wonky???????

BlueBaron
06-28-2006, 02:06 PM
http://custommopar.homestead.com/sprocket.html

Here are some pictures I dug up.
I don't have any with the timing belt, but I don't recall the belt being out of place on any sprockets.

So there are different crank pulleys?

won·ky (British slang)
Wrong; awry. Turned or twisted toward one side.

86Shelby
06-28-2006, 03:18 PM
Now that is just odd. I was under the impression that all common blocks had a crank sprocket with 5 bolt holes for the crank pulley. And that they all had round tooth timing belts. At least all that I've worked on and seen in the JY have.

All the pre common blocks I have seen and own have 4 bolts holding the crank pulley on.

I would bet that the timing sprocket on the crank or the crank pulley is incorrect. Unfortunately I don't have anything in that state of assembly to check measurements for ya.

BARRON
06-28-2006, 10:25 PM
Hey man.. with the crank pulley I have been there, done that. The bolt patterns are the same BUT the center hole on the 87 pulley is BIGGER than on the CB pulleys.

It is near IMPOSSIBLE to get this thing centered. I did it on mine and it shook my PS pump and altenator.

Also dosent the CB crank have a longer snout on it or something?

Put a common block pulley set on it.

BlueBaron
06-29-2006, 04:04 AM
I'm assuming a common block crank pulley is going to require the use of a newer water pump? (reverse flow and different belt)

BARRON
06-29-2006, 05:57 AM
Yes it does,where the puley now runs off the back of the belt. Good luck man.

lametec
06-29-2006, 08:57 AM
You can use the old style pump on a commonblock. Only problem is that it'll interfere with the oil pan flange, making oil pan removal... umm, tricky.

Just keep the old style pump with it's associated pulley, then get a belt to fit. I ended up getting one that was a hair (1/2" I think) shorter than what was stock for the early style pump.

BlueBaron
06-29-2006, 01:20 PM
So if all my '87 pulleys fit right, and I had the '87 water pump....
A stock belt wouldn't fit anyway?

lametec
06-29-2006, 02:41 PM
If you use all '87 pulleys then the standard belt will fit. I use '89 everything except water pump and its pulley.

BlueBaron
08-29-2006, 05:14 PM
Back from the dead, the Wonky thread!

I just got back from talking with my engine builder.
Our conclusion is that the square tooth and round tooth gears will both fit a 2.5L crank in a common block.
Agreed?

He thinks the collar on the gear happens to be a little deeper on the "square" than on the "round" gear. Solution to my problem, is to machine the face down the needed amount, and all should be well.

MiniMopar
08-29-2006, 05:31 PM
Are we forgetting about the '88 main pulley, which has 5 holes but has the early block offsets?

BlueBaron
08-31-2006, 02:27 AM
So can a crank gear be removed and added while the engine is in the car?

GLHSKEN
08-31-2006, 07:04 AM
yes use the right tool and it is a 10 minute job

BlueBaron
09-04-2006, 08:01 PM
Who can identify this crank?

427321 2.5

turbo xtc
10-10-2006, 11:11 PM
i have been over this subject a few times 87-88 are a odd ball compared to a normal cb if you try to use a 85 crank pulley and a 87 timing pulley they won't line up due to 4 bolt 5 bolt now as for 89 cb they have 5 bolt and pay very close attention to the water pump they turn backwards and the housing is bigger on the water pump then the common block the belts on a cb are bigger then the non-cb.87 sprockets are square tooth 88 are round you can change sprockets on the cams with NO PROBLEMS but as for the water pumps either use all BRACKETS from non-cb and pulley from alt.Or use 1988 up brackets and pulleys and watch out cb's are reverse pumps as for non-cb are forward this can make them tend to be (wonky)

BlueBaron
10-25-2006, 04:56 AM
Here is a pic of my crank that went in the engine (parts showing. Ignore the HEI lol)

Can anyone identify it? is it a 2.5L ?
http://thebluebaron.homestead.com/files/parts.jpg

BARRON
10-25-2006, 11:02 AM
Is this a trick question?? Usually all the 2.5 cranks I have seen have the numbers 2.5 cast right into it.

Also do I see the three holes where the the CB shaft drive gear was?

BlueBaron
10-25-2006, 01:13 PM
Is this a trick question??
Also do I see the three holes where the the CB shaft drive gear was?

Sorry, I'll try not to post when I'm half asleep anymore.
I do know it's a 2.5 an above post. I'm trying to find out if it's the right crank for a '90 block to figure out my pulley problem.

Now as to your question about the counterbalance... I'm not too familiar with those. I do know I couldn't find an oil hole to plug as I assembled the block.