PDA

View Full Version : Finally killed my vibration, but...

Subliminal
12-11-2010, 06:23 PM
So, ever since I swapped out the slush box for the Getrag 360 in my truck, I've had a pretty bad vibration. At idle it vibrated a little, but parked while revving the engine it'd shake teeth. Driving was even worse, as with a load on it seemed to be exacerbated.

Well, when I first did the swap, it vibrated, I sighed and ripped it all apart again. I took the flywheel and the pressure plate back to the place I bought it from and they re-checked it for balance and flat...everything checked out. Put it all back together and it still vibrated.

So, part of me thought it might be something else...maybe the fuel pump is fubared and I've got bad timing in a cylinder or something.

Anyway, I borrowed a dial indicator to check the flywheel for runout...and I decided to rip into it yesterday. The flywheel was like .005 out, and I manged to get it to about .002. Sweet. Put the pressure plate back on and vibrate.

So, I stuck the old clutch and pressure plate back on and started it...no noticable vibration...SWEET!

Put it all back together and took it for a test drive...everything was sweet!

...till I hit anything above 20 PSI...and then it's clutch-slip-city.

DOH!

So now I have a (relatively) brand new clutch that cost me $400 and I'm DEFINITELY not putting back in, and a truck that slips the clutch when I get on it.

Which sucks, but at least I fixed the initial problem...I was about '' that close from selling the dang thing and moving on, it bothered me so bad.

I guess every silver lining has a cloud, eh?

turbovanmanČ
12-11-2010, 06:29 PM
I would find a shop that know's how to properly balance a PP, ;)

But that's just me, :eyebrows:

tsiconquest88
12-11-2010, 06:31 PM
Thats pretty funky. At least you got it figured out though. But you went that far why not throw another new clutch in it? Obviously theres something wrong with the good clutch you were trying. Is the one that was causing vibration the 400 dollar one? If so i would try and figure something out with it. Return it to the seller?

tsiconquest88
12-11-2010, 06:32 PM
^ That too lol

Subliminal
12-11-2010, 07:09 PM
Yeah, I wrote them a long email detailing the issues. They're a major company (Phoenix Friction) and they have been great to deal with, but grrrr.

I wish I would have put the new clutch disc in with the old pressure plate and tried that...

tsiconquest88
12-11-2010, 07:27 PM
Yea that woulda been a good idea haha.

turbovanmanČ
12-11-2010, 08:13 PM
Yeah, I wrote them a long email detailing the issues. They're a major company (Phoenix Friction) and they have been great to deal with, but grrrr.

I wish I would have put the new clutch disc in with the old pressure plate and tried that...

Great to deal with? How many times have you pulled the tranny? ;) :eyebrows:

Subliminal
12-11-2010, 10:25 PM
Hey, I'm not saying the product I got ended up working, but when i initially installed it and had a vibration they also checked my flywheel, which I had initially had ground somewhere else...which they didn't have to do.

We'll see...If it wasn't raining tomorrow I'd do the job again...it took me a little under 2 hrs to get the thing pulled, an hour to do the swap and then maybe 2 hrs to put back together. Sigh...just typing that made me tired. ;)

turbovanmanČ
12-11-2010, 11:28 PM
Hey, I'm not saying the product I got ended up working, but when i initially installed it and had a vibration they also checked my flywheel, which I had initially had ground somewhere else...which they didn't have to do.

We'll see...If it wasn't raining tomorrow I'd do the job again...it took me a little under 2 hrs to get the thing pulled, an hour to do the swap and then maybe 2 hrs to put back together. Sigh...just typing that made me tired. ;)

Pulling tranny's out over and over again for bad parts makes me tired, :p

Subliminal
12-12-2010, 08:45 AM
Yeah, you're telling me!

It's raining hard core outside, and my truck is too big to fit in the garage. My wife is going on an all day shopping spree...I wish I could pull it again and fix it right now...but it doesn't look like it's in the cards. :(

turbovanmanČ
12-13-2010, 02:58 AM
Now you have an excuse to figure out how high you can get the MPG, :eyebrows:

Subliminal
12-13-2010, 09:21 AM
It's true. I think I'm going to turn the pump down to about 15 PSI from its current ~28 PSI until I can get a new clutch in there...don't wanna ruin anything.

Vigo
12-13-2010, 08:05 PM

Eh, i think you shouldnt second guess yourself that way. Unless you tried it with both old disc and new plate, and new disc with old plate, it wouldnt have proven anything other than that it wasnt the flywheel. So i think to think that is just being hard on yourself trying to find a solution in hindsight that really just wasnt there.

Subliminal
12-14-2010, 09:21 AM
Well thanks for that!

The truck is SO much better now...it's like driving a new truck. Albeit, I have to kind of baby it to keep from slipping the clutch...but that's a (temporary) price that I'm willing to pay!

chryguy
12-17-2010, 09:28 AM
Hey Dude,

Whatever happened with your clutch/PP problem?
Did they do you right?
Did you find out what it actually was, or did they just replace it? :confused2:

CG

Subliminal
12-17-2010, 09:41 AM
Well, they actually contacted Sachs and had them drop ship me a new kit. The Sachs kit, which is OE, has been hard to find for a while. He said the guy at Sachs said they had one left on the shelf...lol. Lucky me, I guess! Should be here either today or Monday. Love those guys at Phoenix Friction...I guess it isn't their fault that the part was bad.

chryguy
12-17-2010, 09:46 AM
Oh Heck no,

Bad parts are nobody's fault but the manufacturer...should be caught in quality control.

The guys your dealing with do seem to be on top of it and taking care of you...that's sweeeeet.:thumb:

Course it's a PIA to have to get so good at doing the R&R on your trans.:D

CG

Subliminal
12-17-2010, 10:04 AM
Well, you know...everyone has their hobbies! ;) If only it was a tad bit warmer out, and my truck was a tad bit less...oily...underneath. ;)

Especially with the broken dipstick tube. Definitely increased the efficiency of my Cummins anti-corrosion system. ;)

Subliminal
12-17-2010, 06:23 PM
Well, Phoenix Friction made good on their promise:

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_pjO6j2IMXk8/TQvcD68vvLI/AAAAAAAAJc8/AUAOtgws7iE/s640/Picture.jpg
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_pjO6j2IMXk8/TQvf40loSgI/AAAAAAAAJdM/9NMotCBo_LA/s640/Picture%20002.jpg
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_pjO6j2IMXk8/TQvecAa3TLI/AAAAAAAAJdE/qJqrHNJiv30/s640/Picture%20001.jpg

The Luk setup is on the left, the new Sachs is on the right.

chryguy
12-17-2010, 07:20 PM
Wow, that Sachs clutch looks way more substantial than the LUK one. Can't wait to hear how it works...
Jeez, by the time your done, your gonna' be able to do this while your sleepin'.
Take a couple Ambiens, wake up in the morning and it's done. Sleep-wrenching....:eyebrows:

I don't know why, but that body style has always looked great to me. Had enough dough to get a newer style when I got my last one a few years ago, but I went with the old style again.
Course it's also the equivalent of an automotive sledge hammer with the 60/70 and Cummins engine.:love:

BTW, your truck is better than sweet looking...it's downright Purty...in a manly sort of way, of course.:thumb:

Mine looks rode hard and put-away-wet...:D

CG

turbovanmanČ
12-17-2010, 09:23 PM
That Sach's disc looks like it has double the surface area, :nod:

Subliminal
12-18-2010, 08:41 AM
Wow, that Sachs clutch looks way more substantial than the LUK one. Can't wait to hear how it works...
Jeez, by the time your done, your gonna' be able to do this while your sleepin'.
Take a couple Ambiens, wake up in the morning and it's done. Sleep-wrenching....:eyebrows:

I don't know why, but that body style has always looked great to me. Had enough dough to get a newer style when I got my last one a few years ago, but I went with the old style again.
Course it's also the equivalent of an automotive sledge hammer with the 60/70 and Cummins engine.:love:

BTW, your truck is better than sweet looking...it's downright Purty...in a manly sort of way, of course.:thumb:

Mine looks rode hard and put-away-wet...:D

CG

Ha, thanks! I'm pretty proud of her. In fact, I like her so much, I haven't even gotten frustrated by pulling the tranny over and over. ;)

The Sachs are supposed to be impossible to come by these days. I'm pretty happy to have gotten one!

Vigo
12-18-2010, 02:56 PM
WOW that Sachs disc brings the beef!! SCORE!

Take a couple Ambiens, wake up in the morning and it's done. Sleep-wrenching....

BRILLIANT!!

Subliminal
12-18-2010, 06:08 PM
Welp, it's in and no vibration, and no slippage.

We also fixed the dipstick tube...that was probably at least as hard as doing the entire clutch job...

Thank God it's done!

chryguy
12-20-2010, 11:01 AM
The best part is, everybody will think your all happy-snappy cause it's Christmas.:D

Just don't let 'em know the real reason.:thumb:

CG

shackwrrr
12-20-2010, 01:19 PM
Now just dont be like my friend and break it in properly. He went through 2 kevlar clutches in 2 weeks and he only has a tuner on his. And no way to break in a clutch easily in a week. I think you're good though.

rich tideswell
12-23-2010, 07:41 AM
Save your orginal clutch disc and have it re-lined. A spare never hurts.