PDA

View Full Version : Flip Chips for our cars....

DodgeZ
12-11-2010, 10:49 AM
Okay here is the deal. Boost Button is willing to make a flip chip for us! You may ask, what is a Flip Chip? Well I will tell you! It is a chip that at the "flip" of a switch you can change tunes! That is right, multiple tunes on one chip!

Here is how it works... The stock size calibration file for a LM computer is 128k in size. The new common chip to use is a 27SF512. Can you guess what the 512 stands for? It stands for 512k! So what we are looking at 4 different cals on one chip, 128k+128K+128k+128K=512k. With an extender cable and a switch that can be mounted remotely you'll be able to flip through your tunes like you are the coolest kid in school :cool:

Think how nice it would be to have a gas saver 87 octane low boost tune, 93octane high boost tune, E85 low boost tune and a E85 high boost tune. All on one chip with a just a flip of the switch change. Want a low boost winter tune for snow driving? Take use of that factory boost control but keep your control of the boost levels. Okay, maybe one race gas tune instead of low boost. :)

I ran one of these flip chips in my GLHS with a stock tune and a stage II back in the day. At the time it was only a 256k chip so I was limited to 2 tunes. I was nice to be able to just flip the switch for extra boost!

Currently I am looking for 10 people to make this happen. Target price is going to be around 40 dollars with the extender cable and switch. We are looking start with the LM computer and move to the SMEC and SBEC at a later time (if this goes well). Please know that SMEC/SBEC use a 256k stock file so the flip chip can only hold two tunes.

thanks!!!!!

I got to have one list!
1. DodgeZ
2. BIGBRUDDA
3. Force Fed Mopar
4. Badger
5. vipernbox
6. black86glhs
7. boost geek
8. Keito
9. omni_840
10. csxtra
11. Reeves

BIGBRUDDA
12-11-2010, 11:19 AM
At $40 I'll take one. Rob's burnt me a cal before ,and it worked just as advertised.:nod:

If you want "multiple tunes" tho, why not turn on the radio!:eyebrows:

sorry..................I just had to.:p

DodgeZ
12-11-2010, 06:09 PM
At $40 I'll take one. Rob's burnt me a cal before ,and it worked just as advertised.:nod:

If you want "multiple tunes" tho, why not turn on the radio!:eyebrows:

sorry..................I just had to.:p

Rob does some good stuff. I can't wait to have a flip chip again. It will be nice to have some adjustment without having to tear in to the LM to swap the chip.

I should note that I gave a couple different examples of tunes. If you have PCM controlled boost (which is the way to go with a custom tune) you can have the same tune but set at different boost levels. I know there is another thread going on about electronic boost controllers right now. You can basically use this flip chip for that feature. It will save you a ton of money when compared to the normal cost of an aftermarket electronic boost controller

raccoon
12-11-2010, 08:33 PM
when you do the SMEC/SBEC Ill be interested.

Keito
12-11-2010, 08:45 PM
Kevin,

You mention GLHS but Rob only works with 87(CSX/Daytona) up.
Just to clairfy he's only making the extender/switch?
I'm building a 2.5 for next year so I was going to
switch to an 87 LM setup, will this work 86/87 GLHS and
87 CSX/Daytona?

Force Fed Mopar
12-11-2010, 09:32 PM
I'll take one for sure :)

I ran one of these flip chips in my GLHS with a stock tune and a stage II back in the day. At the time it was only a 256k chip so I was limited to 2 tunes. I was nice to be able to just flip the switch for extra boost!

I have that computer now :D I loved it too. Course it stayed on the StageII cal 90% of the time lol :p

ShelGame
12-11-2010, 09:33 PM
It will work for sure on the '87 CSX/Daytona LM. Not so sure about the L-Body LM since the cal is split into 2 chips. I don't think it would work.

Since the 'flip chip' name is really a Superchips thing, and Moates has the '2-timer', I think I'll call mine the FourPlay. I could easily add a 4-cal option to the SMEC/SBEC also using a 1M chip...

Force Fed Mopar
12-11-2010, 09:37 PM
It will work for sure on the '87 CSX/Daytona LM. Not so sure about the L-Body LM since the cal is split into 2 chips. I don't think it would work.

Since the 'flip chip' name is really a Superchips thing, and Moates has the '2-timer', I think I'll call mine the FourPlay. I could easily add a 4-cal option to the SMEC/SBEC also using a 1M chip...

Rob, that GLHS computer me and Kevin are talking about has a switchable cal. I have the LM still, it's sitting in my shop. Just has a simple 2-wire switch to flip cals. One position is stock, the other Stage II. I used it in my '87 GLHS. Worked fine.

Badger
12-11-2010, 09:38 PM
Id like one for my rampage with '87 electronics please

DodgeZ
12-11-2010, 09:54 PM
I think I'll call mine the FourPlay.

:D :thumb:

x.Gen
12-12-2010, 08:58 AM

it will work as long as you use the respective code. I don't know why everyone over-complicates the GLHS LM.

ShelGame
12-12-2010, 09:31 AM
But, I thought some of the cal data is on one chip, and some on the other?

vipernbox
12-12-2010, 12:31 PM
I am interested

zin
12-12-2010, 03:58 PM
Interested, if I ever have any "extra" money again!:o

Mike

DodgeZ
12-12-2010, 05:05 PM
I am interested

should I add you to the list?

vipernbox
12-12-2010, 10:40 PM
yes add me to the list.. sounds like a fun toy..

Force Fed Mopar
12-12-2010, 11:16 PM
But, I thought some of the cal data is on one chip, and some on the other?

Not sure. All I know is, my GLHS has stock '86 wiring, stock '86 computer w/ a switch soldered into the socket and a 2-cal chip. Only thing it ever did was throw Code 53 when you flipped it one way. IIRC it was done by Neil Emiro.

black86glhs
12-12-2010, 11:31 PM
Count me in. I'de like to have a stock tune and a 18lb or 20 lb alternate tune.:thumb:

audiomaninc
12-13-2010, 12:15 AM
how is this different from the low boost/high boost setting I have controlled from the AC switch currently? (with the obvious exception of 4 settings instead of 2)

boost geek
12-13-2010, 12:28 AM
Mark me down for #7. Maybe I'll sell my Ostrich, too hard to figure out.

DodgeZ
12-13-2010, 12:33 AM
Getting close

OmniLuvr
12-13-2010, 02:05 AM
so for 40 bucks does it come with a cal (or multiples) at that price?

and what will it take to install the 4 play? i already have a socketed 87 lm, just want to know if this just slides in where the chip goes, or will i have to solder in a new socket?

ShelGame
12-13-2010, 09:34 AM
so for 40 bucks does it come with a cal (or multiples) at that price?

and what will it take to install the 4 play? i already have a socketed 87 lm, just want to know if this just slides in where the chip goes, or will i have to solder in a new socket?

No, no cal or chip. But, it will include the 4-way rotary switch and maybe 4' (?) of wire for the switch. You won't need to do anything special to use it. It can be soldered in place of the socket, or simply put into the socket. Though, I guess you will need to cut a notch in the case somewhere for the switch wires to go thru.

Keito
12-13-2010, 10:08 AM
I'm in.
Can there be enough wire to mount the switch in the center console?

ShelGame
12-13-2010, 10:13 AM
I'm in.
Can there be enough wire to mount the switch in the center console?

I'd prefer to make them all the same length, but it doesn't really matter how long it is (within reason). Is 6' enough to get from the LM to the center console?

Also, the switch will be a 4-position rotary. But, I don't plan to make a faceplate for it. So, you will need to come up with some way to mark the positions on your own.

DodgeZ
12-13-2010, 12:47 PM
how is this different from the low boost/high boost setting I have controlled from the AC switch currently? (with the obvious exception of 4 settings instead of 2)

The only downside is that the A/C button on the dash is not connected directly to the LM (or SMEC/SBEC). You have to add a jumper wire under the hood. That's assuming you don't have A/C. If you do have A/C, the obvious downside is that you get high boost only when the A/C is on (or off depending on how it's setup).

However if you do have the A/C button hooked up you could have 8 boost settings. That maybe over kill though :D. Another difference is that you are changing the cal itself. So when you flip over to the low boost tune you can have different timing tables. Basically you can make your low boost cal safe for 87 octane. It can also have any other settings changed. Like the two step rev limiter. Heck you can make one of the tunes a valet mode.

turbodaytona87
12-13-2010, 01:26 PM
I'd prefer to make them all the same length, but it doesn't really matter how long it is (within reason). Is 6' enough to get from the LM to the center console?

Also, the switch will be a 4-position rotary. But, I don't plan to make a faceplate for it. So, you will need to come up with some way to mark the positions on your own.

So do you just use different offsets to be able to program 4 calibrations? I'll think about getting one in the spring, but $40 seems a little high for just a cable and a switch IMHO.

ShelGame
12-13-2010, 02:13 PM
So do you just use different offsets to be able to program 4 calibrations? I'll think about getting one in the spring, but $40 seems a little high for just a cable and a switch IMHO.

Well, it's not just a cable and switch. There's a PCB, socket, and header to make it plug-n-play. Of course, if you're good with a soldering iron, you can DIY it with just a switch and wires.

Yes, you simply burn the 4 different cals to the chip with a different offset. The switch essentially changes the 'bank' on the chip so that the processor can read the desired cal.

DodgeZ
12-13-2010, 03:18 PM

It is basically a plug and play thing for end user that don't want to "hack" on their computers.

[Getting on soap box] As far as the price (and of course I am in NO way related to Rob's business) it is way more then fair. You aren't paying for the "stuff" as much are you are paying for Rob's knowledge. I know roughly what Rob is going to make after building these. (sorry Rob) I personally wouldn't waste the time doing it for the "profit" he may make. My free time is worth more then a few extra bucks, but that is just me. I think I can make a safe guess that Rob does this because he enjoys it as a hobby and not to get rich.

I know we are hung up on being a cheapskate group but IMO we aren't grateful for what these guys have done for our community. These custom cals made easy, bad arse software (MPTuner) all for free!??!?!?! I don't have a problem paying Rob, not one bit. I guess after spending 750bucks for a programmer for my truck and 800bucks to get a dyno tune on my SRT4 (the software for the SRT4 is 2500 bucks if you want to tune it yourself) I think we are SUPER lucky how cheap it is. [Getting off soap box]

zin
12-13-2010, 03:34 PM
I know we are hung up on being a cheapskate group but IMO we aren't grateful for what these guys have done for our community. These custom cals made easy, bad arse software (MPTuner) all for free!??!?!?! I don't have a problem paying Rob, not one bit. I guess after spending 750bucks for a programmer for my truck and 800bucks to get a dyno tune on my SRT4 (the software for the SRT4 is 2500 bucks if you want to tune it yourself) I think we are SUPER lucky how cheap it is. [Getting off soap box]

:amen:

shackwrrr
12-13-2010, 04:05 PM
Could this work for the ostrich for when no laptop is around?

black86glhs
12-13-2010, 04:09 PM
It is basically a plug and play thing for end user that don't want to "hack" on their computers.

[Getting on soap box] As far as the price (and of course I am in NO way related to Rob's business) it is way more then fair. You aren't paying for the "stuff" as much are you are paying for Rob's knowledge. I know roughly what Rob is going to make after building these. (sorry Rob) I personally wouldn't waste the time doing it for the "profit" he may make. My free time is worth more then a few extra bucks, but that is just me. I think I can make a safe guess that Rob does this because he enjoys it as a hobby and not to get rich.

I agree. When I was making the injector harnesses, I only made $10-$15 on each harness. I wasn't doing it to get rich.

ShelGame
12-13-2010, 05:45 PM
Could this work for the ostrich for when no laptop is around?

I don't see how this could be used with the Ostrich. But, then, I don't own an Ostrich so I don't know for sure...

shelbymonster
12-13-2010, 06:41 PM
that is great ! when your working on the smec ill take one of those for sure

Keito
12-13-2010, 07:55 PM
I know it's a crazy good deal, I was going to buy a chip extender without
the switch last spring for the same price.

boost geek
12-13-2010, 08:33 PM
I may do a package deal with a couple of your cals on a chip. My LM is already socketed an I have the ribbon cable for an Ostrich, not sure if that's the same cable your selling.

ShelGame
12-13-2010, 08:35 PM
that is great ! when your working on the smec ill take one of those for sure

Actually, the circuit design is just about done. I set it up so that a solder jumper can set it to LM or SMEC use.

turbovanmanČ
12-13-2010, 08:38 PM
Great idea guys.

Count me in. I'de like to have a stock tune and a 18lb or 20 lb alternate tune.:thumb:

Only you would do settings with a 2 psi difference, :rolleyes: :p

Mark me down for #7. Maybe I'll sell my Ostrich, too hard to figure out.

Dude, they are easy, quit being a dick! ;) LMAO.

ShelGame
12-13-2010, 08:58 PM
I may do a package deal with a couple of your cals on a chip. My LM is already socketed an I have the ribbon cable for an Ostrich, not sure if that's the same cable your selling.

No, different cable. The cable with this is just for the switch itself. The chip would still be located in the LM/SMEC/SBEC...

boost geek
12-13-2010, 09:25 PM
Great idea guys.

Dude, they are easy, quit being a dick! ;) LMAO.

Still waiting for you to show me how. ;)

black86glhs
12-13-2010, 09:59 PM
Great idea guys.

NO, 4-6 lb difference....I said stock (14psi) and 18 or 20 psi second tune. Geez!!!!:p;)

turbovanmanČ
12-13-2010, 11:03 PM
Still waiting for you to show me how. ;)

You know where I work and live, :D

NO, 4-6 lb difference....I said stock (14psi) and 18 or 20 psi second tune. Geez!!!!:p;)

Crap, you got me, I missed the stock part, lol.

omni_840
12-13-2010, 11:10 PM
Put me down for one, btw can I get a tutorial on how to burn multiple tunes on a single chip. (Sorry I'm a total noob)

Force Fed Mopar
12-14-2010, 09:38 AM
Rob, 6ft of wire should be plenty to reach the center console from the LM. If you want, I can run a wire from mine to the center console in the Daytona, and let you know how long. That way you'll know for sure, and no one can whine that it's a few inches too short :p

ShelGame
12-14-2010, 09:43 AM
Rob, 6ft of wire should be plenty to reach the center console from the LM. If you want, I can run a wire from mine to the center console in the Daytona, and let you know how long. That way you'll know for sure, and no one can whine that it's a few inches too short :p

Sounds good to me...

Reeves
12-14-2010, 07:15 PM
:D :thumb:

Dang good deal!

I already have a chip extender in my glove box though :(

Are you offering these after the group buy? I may buy the parts seperate or something so I can just put the switch next to my chip extender so I can switch between 4 different staging rev-limiters so I can quit carrying around and swapping 4 chips for a given track condition/day.

:thumb:

csxtra
12-14-2010, 07:15 PM
Put me down for some FourPlay!!. I'm assuming it will work with any socket (i.e. I can plug it into either the LM socket or the ZIF socket on my chip extender?)

Reeves
12-14-2010, 07:18 PM
put me down for some fourplay!!. I'm pretty sure reeves is interested in one too, but i'll let him chime in here himself.

ohDOH!!!

ShelGame
12-14-2010, 07:32 PM
Put me down for some FourPlay!!. I'm assuming it will work with any socket (i.e. I can plug it into either the LM socket or the ZIF socket on my chip extender?)

It should work with the extender socket.

ShelGame
12-14-2010, 07:34 PM
Are you offering these after the group buy?

I don't know if this is a group buy per se. I told dodgeZ that if he could find 5 guys interested, I'd build them. He got 5 alot faster than I thought he would.

Once I get the boards in stock, I'll just offer them up on BoostButton.com as a regular item...

DodgeZ
12-14-2010, 07:37 PM
Well that puts it over the 10 mark!!!!

I got to have one list!
1. DodgeZ
2. BIGBRUDDA
3. Force Fed Mopar
4. Badger
5. vipernbox
6. black86glhs
7. boost geek
8. Keito
9. omni_840
10. csxtra
11. Reeves

Dang good deal!

I already have a chip extender in my glove box though :(

Are you offering these after the group buy? I may buy the parts seperate or something so I can just put the switch next to my chip extender so I can switch between 4 different staging rev-limiters so I can quit carrying around and swapping 4 chips for a given track condition/day.

:thumb:

Yeah it will be really nice to not have to swap chips for quick changes.

Put me down for some FourPlay!!.

:love: Oh Warren....

csxtra
12-14-2010, 07:46 PM
:love: Oh Warren....

This post is hidden because DodgeZ is NOW on your ignore list.:D

DodgeZ
12-14-2010, 08:07 PM
this post is hidden because dodgez is now on your ignore list.:d

lol!!

DodgeZ
12-14-2010, 08:36 PM
I don't know if this is a group buy per se. I told dodgeZ that if he could find 5 guys interested, I'd build them. He got 5 alot faster than I thought he would.

Once I get the boards in stock, I'll just offer them up on BoostButton.com as a regular item...

Rob, You failed to realize that while people pretend to hate me because of cantankerous personality deep down inside they really love my perspicacious foresight. :D

10 People saying yes is more like 5 that buy :) I've been wrong before, hopefully all 11 will spring for this cool product to prove me wrong..

ShelGame
12-14-2010, 09:46 PM
That's why I told you 5. If I can sell 5 for sure, then I can justify designing and ordering the boards...

black86glhs
12-14-2010, 09:50 PM
Hurry up, will ya!!!

lolololol.

ShelGame
12-14-2010, 10:18 PM
The board layout is just about done. I'm going to prototype it with a solderless breadboard over my holiday break ( we get 10days off between Christmas and New Years). Once I confirm that the circuit is right, I'll order the boards. It typically takes 6 weeks for the boards to get in. Which would be maybe mid-February. Assuming all goes well, they could be available on BoostButton.com before the end of Feb...

DodgeZ
12-14-2010, 10:32 PM
That's why I told you 5. If I can sell 5 for sure, then I can justify designing and ordering the boards...

:thumb: We should be golden now. thanks again for doing this.

ShelGame
12-14-2010, 11:44 PM
:thumb: We should be golden now. thanks again for doing this.

No problem. I had the idea for these for a while. But, I never figured there would be this much interest.

boost geek
12-15-2010, 12:55 AM
[QUOTE=DodgeZ;752734]Rob, You failed to realize that while people pretend to hate me because of cantankerous personality deep down inside they really love my perspicacious foresight. :D
QUOTE]

Actually, we were scared of you flipping out on us if we said no. :)

black86glhs
12-15-2010, 01:31 AM
No problem. I had the idea for these for a while. But, I never figured there would be this much interest.

Damn you couldn't have been more wrong....LOL. But glad you were.

ShelGame
12-15-2010, 12:56 PM
Teaser...

Reeves
12-15-2010, 01:00 PM
Teaser...

:thumb::thumb:

Force Fed Mopar
12-15-2010, 01:23 PM
Gonna be awesome :) Be nice to have a 10psi PT/15psi WOT cal for daily use, with a 20psi cal on tap at the turn of a switch, race fuel cal for the track and an E85 tune for fun :thumb:

DodgeZ
12-15-2010, 01:31 PM
Teaser...

Pretty Awesome!

Swart
12-15-2010, 03:59 PM
Sign me up for one for an SBEC!

ShelGame
12-15-2010, 04:32 PM
Just to be clear, I set the FourPlay board up so that it will also work with the SMEC and SBEC computers. But, using the 27SF512, you will only get 2 cals. Which makes it a DoublePlay, I guess.

Swart
12-15-2010, 04:37 PM
Just to be clear, I set the FourPlay board up so that it will also work with the SMEC and SBEC computers. But, using the 27SF512, you will only get 2 cals. Which makes it a DoublePlay, I guess.

Understood :thumb:

OmniLuvr
12-15-2010, 04:46 PM
ive wanted a switchable chip forever, but was always bummed thinking i would only have to cals to choose from, the four play is a GREAT idea!

so, dont know if i should ask shelgame personally, but if you burn a chip for someone, will we get charged for one chip, or for four cals??? not that im worried about how much, just want to know for future referance, because im computer iliterate, and wont be burning cals anytime soon...

ShelGame
12-15-2010, 05:20 PM
I hadn't thought about that yet, really. I guess if the cal is basically the same, only boost level is different, I could do it for no additional charge; or at least a small charge (like $5 for simple multi-boost levels). But, for a race cal vs. street cal type deal I would probably want to charge the full price for both since the tuning is really pretty different.

OmniLuvr
12-15-2010, 07:28 PM
^which is totally understandable, and a $5 charge would be awsome for maybe a psi change and an haigher rpm launch mod. i plan on running e85, and thats why i asked, and i would be totally willing to pay the extra cash for the exta cals, because its def worth it. :thumb:

thanks for putting your time and energy into this, it should keep the fire burning in this community for a while...

ShadowBrad
12-15-2010, 08:22 PM
Teaser...

Awesome!

I finally got to check this thread out and just wanted to say that I think this is a really awesome idea.

Some one asked how to go about burning multiple cals onto the same chip. Well I'm happy to inform you all that these guys have recruited me to build an application that makes this very simple. All that will be required is that you tune each of the cals just as your normally would, then compile them into their corresponding BIN files. Then this is where my little piece of software comes in. What you will then do is run my program "Bin Stacker" and load each of your 2 or 4 cals into it, specify what order you would like them in(which switch position selects which calibration.). Then specify the name of the NEW output BIN file, click the "Stack" button and then either both or all 4 of your cals will be "Stacked" together into a single BIN file which you will then burn to your chip. That's the very simple rundown of how it will work, and it really will be that simple but I'm going to add quite a few handy features to it as per request from these guys here. It was also suggested that this program could be made into sort of an Add-On for MPTuner; so once my program reaches a final version, most likely Morris and I will be working together to get my program incorporated into his program for ease of use, although my program will still be available as a stand alone if that's the way you want to go.

Sorry about jacking the thread. I just wanted to get this info out there as I seen some one had asked how burning multiple cals would be done. As soon as I get a version suitable for public release I will start a new thread to describe all of the features and to get feedback from the people that will be using it.

ShelGame
12-15-2010, 08:43 PM
Not a threadjack at all - it's totally related to this project...

ShadowBrad
12-15-2010, 09:12 PM
Not a threadjack at all - it's totally related to this project...

You do have a point... :D

Force Fed Mopar
12-16-2010, 03:35 AM
Awesome!

I finally got to check this thread out and just wanted to say that I think this is a really awesome idea.

Some one asked how to go about burning multiple cals onto the same chip. Well I'm happy to inform you all that these guys have recruited me to build an application that makes this very simple. All that will be required is that you tune each of the cals just as your normally would, then compile them into their corresponding BIN files. Then this is where my little piece of software comes in. What you will then do is run my program "Bin Stacker" and load each of your 2 or 4 cals into it, specify what order you would like them in(which switch position selects which calibration.). Then specify the name of the NEW output BIN file, click the "Stack" button and then either both or all 4 of your cals will be "Stacked" together into a single BIN file which you will then burn to your chip. That's the very simple rundown of how it will work, and it really will be that simple but I'm going to add quite a few handy features to it as per request from these guys here. It was also suggested that this program could be made into sort of an Add-On for MPTuner; so once my program reaches a final version, most likely Morris and I will be working together to get my program incorporated into his program for ease of use, although my program will still be available as a stand alone if that's the way you want to go.

Sorry about jacking the thread. I just wanted to get this info out there as I seen some one had asked how burning multiple cals would be done. As soon as I get a version suitable for public release I will start a new thread to describe all of the features and to get feedback from the people that will be using it.

Sounds great :thumb:

Force Fed Mopar
12-16-2010, 12:36 PM

Sounds good to me...

Actually 8ft is what's probably needed for LM cars, Rob. I ran a wire from the back of the console compartment (the part that has the lid that flips up, figured someone will want to hide it in there :D), up the length of the console in behind the radio, up and across behind the bottom of the glove box and then down to the bottom of the LM. That measured out at exactly 8ft.

Bozo
12-31-2010, 12:45 AM
I'm interested in one for my '89 LeBaron.

black86glhs
12-31-2010, 12:49 AM
Rob, Any update on this? I know it won't be done for a while, just curious. Thanks.

Spr-T-23
12-31-2010, 12:59 AM
yea 90 shadow?

ShelGame
01-01-2011, 10:09 PM
Boards are finalized and ordered. Looks like they should ship in a week or two. So, maybe end of Jan I can start assembling these and put them up for sale...

---------- Post added at 09:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:06 PM ----------

yea 90 shadow?

SBEC computers will need my latch adapter board to use these. But, they should work just fine.

---------- Post added at 09:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:07 PM ----------

Also, forgot to post previously, you can use 4 cals with the SMEC - but only with the T2 16k binary files. Turbonator compiles to 32k, and the T1 binaries are also 32k. So, you only get 2 on a chip (the DoublePlay).

DodgeZ
01-01-2011, 10:14 PM
Also, forgot to post previously, you can use 4 cals with the SMEC - but only with the T2 16k binary files. Turbonator compiles to 32k, and the T1 binaries are also 32k. So, you only get 2 on a chip (the DoublePlay).

wow. I didn't know that.

ShelGame
01-01-2011, 11:11 PM
wow. I didn't know that.

I tend to forget about the SMEC T2 cals since my code isn't based on it.

Also, I don't think it would be hard at all to eliminate some routines from Turbonator and get it to compile to 16k. It would be a custom build, but I think it could be done...

zin
01-04-2011, 04:23 PM
Also, I don't think it would be hard at all to eliminate some routines from Turbonator and get it to compile to 16k. It would be a custom build, but I think it could be done...

I don't suppose there is a chip that would have enough memory to allow 4 (or more) 32k cals and still work with the electronics?...

Mike

ShelGame
01-04-2011, 04:28 PM
I don't suppose there is a chip that would have enough memory to allow 4 (or more) 32k cals and still work with the electronics?...

Mike

Yes, but it would require a unique board. I didn't want to design 2 at this point in time. If these really go well, I might do a FourPlay for 32k bins...

zin
01-04-2011, 04:56 PM
Yes, but it would require a unique board. I didn't want to design 2 at this point in time. If these really go well, I might do a FourPlay for 32k bins...

OK, I was thinking you could use the bigger chip for all and just have more "dead space" with the smaller cals...

Mike

ShelGame
01-05-2011, 11:45 PM
OK, well the boards are in! Eventhough the companies' website says that my board order hasn't come back from manufacturing yet. Oh well. I'll get one built up and tested hopefully this weekend. Still waiting on the 4-way switches to come in, too. The other parts are easy enough to get.

DodgeZ
01-05-2011, 11:49 PM
OK, well the boards are in! Eventhough the companies' website says that my board order hasn't come back from manufacturing yet. Oh well. I'll get one built up and tested hopefully this weekend. Still waiting on the 4-way switches to come in, too. The other parts are easy enough to get.

Sweet!

ShelGame
01-06-2011, 02:42 PM
I ordered all of the other necessary components today. As soon as I get the first 2 built (1 FourPlay and 1 DoublePlay) and confirmed working OK, I'll post these up on BoostButton.com for sale. I'll also post a notice in this thread and in the general vendor section. Should be available next weekend if there are no problems with the board (they looked OK to me last night).

Keito
01-06-2011, 10:03 PM
So this wasn't a group buy, we'll just buy them off the website?

Spr-T-23
01-06-2011, 10:18 PM
what are you thinking for price?

ShelGame
01-06-2011, 10:21 PM
No, not a group buy. I told dodgeZ that if he could find 5 guys seriously interested, I'd make them. He found like 15. When I order parts, I usualy get enough to make at least 10 (and usually 20) boards. So, there's no reason to make it a group buy only type deal...

---------- Post added at 09:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:18 PM ----------

what are you thinking for price?

For now, I'm going to say $40 as posted on the first page. But, I'll have to see what I actually have into them when I get one or 2 built up. It might come down a little.

Spr-T-23
01-06-2011, 10:22 PM
ill be interested in one when i get the turbo motor rebuilt

vipernbox
01-06-2011, 11:54 PM
Awesome...

Thanks for all your work...

Force Fed Mopar
01-07-2011, 10:26 AM
Awesome, I'll be ready to buy one as soon as the announcement is made :)

HoverFish
01-07-2011, 06:11 PM
I was thinking of getting a cal done when I had some spare money to throw around again, but now I think I'll get two. ;)

gears351
01-07-2011, 07:01 PM
So we're thinking 1.economy tune, 2. Sport, 3. Full on Race, & 4. E85 capable?

Force Fed Mopar
01-07-2011, 07:34 PM

That's what I'm thinking :D

DodgeZ
01-07-2011, 07:36 PM
E85. Is full on race! They call it race corn.....

gears351
01-07-2011, 07:55 PM
Just 'cause it's higher octane though right?

Will our fuel systems support it? ie will hoses & injector o-rings be ok on E85 or is it like running alky in a carb where you've got to change some components due to material incompatibilities?

Spr-T-23
01-07-2011, 07:56 PM
i think you need all stainless for e85, or so ive been told

DodgeZ
01-07-2011, 07:58 PM
Just 'cause it's higher octane though right?

Will our fuel systems support it? ie will hoses & injector o-rings be ok on E85 or is it like running alky in a carb where you've got to change some components due to material incompatibilities?we have another thread talking about it. Do a quick search. Id link it but I am onmy phone

gears351
01-07-2011, 08:07 PM
thx, searching now.

Bozo
01-07-2011, 11:02 PM
I'm up for one when they are ready also. Thanks!!!

ShelGame
01-11-2011, 04:34 PM
Got the rotary switches in yesterday. They're basically guitar switches. Not very nice looking really, all open/exposed. But, the nice looking rotary switches are very spendy. Should be OK mounted behind a panel in the dash.

Just waiting for the last component. I ordered the wrong ones last week - DOH! Need surface mount!

1BADVAN
01-13-2011, 06:26 PM
Any pics of the rotary switches? Are you talking about the ones like the turbo toys on srt4s? Also is this switchable on the fly?

ShelGame
01-13-2011, 07:15 PM
Any pics of the rotary switches? Are you talking about the ones like the turbo toys on srt4s? Also is this switchable on the fly?

I'll put up a pic when I get the prototype all built up. I don't know what the turbo toys switch looks like. I'm sure this is not as nice.

It should be switchable on the fly. The only issue would be if you were running 2 different code bases. In that case, switching while running would almost certainly result in a mild hiccup at the least. But, so long as the codebase is the same (same addressing), it should switch on the fly without any problems.

Force Fed Mopar
01-13-2011, 07:18 PM
No worries on the looks here, I'll probably mount it in a panel or inside the console or glovebox or somewhere anyway.

ShelGame
01-13-2011, 11:02 PM
It works. As soon as I can get the website updated with them, they'll be up for sale. Here's a couple pics of #1...

ShelGame
01-13-2011, 11:23 PM
OK, they're up. Order away. I don't have any built (other than my 1st unit). So, it will take a couple of weeks to fill the first orders, just because I'll have to work around my other orders to assemble them.

http://www.boostbutton.com/Chip-Products.html

Keito
01-14-2011, 08:50 AM
PM sent!

vipernbox
01-14-2011, 05:24 PM
money sent :nod::thumb:

ShelGame
01-15-2011, 10:53 PM
I've got 4 orders in for them so far, thanks guys. I'll get them out as soon as possible.

black86glhs
01-15-2011, 11:16 PM
Rob, you get my PM?

ShelGame
01-15-2011, 11:29 PM
Rob, you get my PM?

Just answered...

Keito
01-16-2011, 07:59 PM
Rob,

Does it come with a knob for the switch or do we need find one?
It's not a big deal.

Force Fed Mopar
01-16-2011, 08:12 PM
I'll be ordering one this week too, Rob.

Bozo
01-16-2011, 09:41 PM
I will be ordering a Doubleplay this evening, Rob. Thanks!!

ShelGame
01-16-2011, 10:13 PM
Rob,

Does it come with a knob for the switch or do we need find one?
It's not a big deal.

No knob. I thought I'd leave to to personal tastes/space. The switch I'm using is actually like a guitar switch. So, there are plenty of options for knobs. It's a 1/4" splined shaft. Radio shack or a guitar shop will have a knob to fit it.

DodgeZ
01-16-2011, 10:35 PM
No knob. I thought I'd leave to to personal tastes/space. The switch I'm using is actually like a guitar switch. So, there are plenty of options for knobs. It's a 1/4" splined shaft. Radio shack or a guitar shop will have a knob to fit it.

You should ship out a knob with them. It is going to cost me 5 bucks to get one shipped but you can get 50 for 15 on ebay. Radio shack will rape you if you let them, if they have them it will be 15 for one.

ShelGame
01-16-2011, 10:48 PM
You should ship out a knob with them. It is going to cost me 5 bucks to get one shipped but you can get 50 for 15 on ebay. Radio shack will rape you if you let them, if they have them it will be 15 for one.

Hmm, OK lemme see what I can find...

DodgeZ
01-16-2011, 10:50 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/Chickenhead-Pointer-Knob-1-4-Shaft-Brass-Insert-Brown-/290513637275?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item43a3f64f9b

cheapest one I can find for just one

black86glhs
01-16-2011, 11:37 PM
I like that knob.

DodgeZ
01-16-2011, 11:39 PM
I like that knob.

And this one.:eyebrows:

For the gazers.:evil:

dude... delete that crap.

black86glhs
01-16-2011, 11:52 PM
Oh don't get your panties in a bunch.

boost geek
01-16-2011, 11:53 PM
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k302/boostgeek/banstick3td.gif

black86glhs
01-16-2011, 11:56 PM
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k302/boostgeek/banstick3td.gifYou stay out of it...lol.

86seeS
01-16-2011, 11:56 PM
Put me down for one when ready!

Keito
01-17-2011, 11:07 AM
Put me down for one when ready!

They're ready. Go to the BoostButton website to order one.

---------- Post added at 10:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:04 AM ----------

http://www.thefind.com/instruments/info-chicken-head-knobs

It would be cool if someone could machine us a plate to go on under the mounting nut that has
the cal indicator number on it.

DodgeZ
01-17-2011, 11:41 AM
http://www.thefind.com/instruments/info-chicken-head-knobs

It would be cool if someone could machine us a plate to go on under the mounting nut that has
the cal indicator number on it.

So I clicked to order one of the 1.10 knobs... They are worse then radio shack!

Sub-Total: $1.10
Shipping to US (48 States): $10.59
Small Order Fee [?]: $2.00
Handling fee: $5.00
Total: $18.69

boost geek
01-17-2011, 12:12 PM
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k302/boostgeek/mad3.gif

Spr-T-23
01-17-2011, 01:35 PM
wow shippnig is killer on something that small, must come with alot of packing peanuts

ShelGame
01-17-2011, 08:01 PM
OK, bought these (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270490586275). At $0.30 ea, it won't affect the final price.

Oh, and just to let the DoublePlay guys know, those will be shipping with a toggle switch since a 2-position rotary switch is difficult to source.

DodgeZ
01-18-2011, 01:02 AM
OK, bought these (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270490586275). At $0.30 ea, it won't affect the final price.

sweet

86seeS
01-18-2011, 01:27 AM
I like those ill be getting one for the dc charger! also pm sent

black86glhs
01-18-2011, 01:35 AM
Rob, when are you looking at shipping these out?

ShelGame
01-18-2011, 09:43 PM
Rob, when are you looking at shipping these out?

I have 8 done except for the cable/switch. I'm waiting for the toggle switches for the DoublePlay's and the knobs for the FourPlay's. They should both come in about 2 weeks. So, I'll be shipping then. I also have 8 more boards partially built (I had to order more pin headers).

boost geek
01-19-2011, 12:26 AM
I'm still on for one, but I also need a loaded chip from ya. http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k302/boostgeek/drive2.gif

ShelGame
01-28-2011, 10:44 AM
Knobs finally came in! Unfortunately, they are dark grey with a green pointer. Hmm, that's what I get buying from Hong Kong, I guess. If nobody objects, I'll just use these up. I hope to get all of the paid FourPLay and DoublePlay orders out this weekend. I now swamped with cal orders and need to get to work on them, too. But, these will still be available on BoostButton if anyone else wants one.

DodgeZ
01-28-2011, 10:47 AM
great news

Force Fed Mopar
01-28-2011, 12:13 PM
Just put my order in for a FourPlay, thanks Rob.

ShelGame
01-29-2011, 11:41 PM
I forgot to mention - the way I setup the board, one little solder joint can convert it from a FourPlay to a DoublePlay. I'll make some instructions for doing that. So, if in the future you want to convert your switcher from 32k bins to 16k bins or vice versa, it's no big deal if you can handle a little soldering.

Also, I'm thinking about adding an option for buying these - unconfigured. Basically, you buy it, set the solder jumper, add your own switch and wires. I can sell it that way for $10 less than with the cable+switch ($30). Anybody have any interest in it setup that way?

I have 3 of these done right now, the other 3 paid orders will be done tomorrow; they all ship early next week.

Force Fed Mopar
01-29-2011, 11:50 PM
Cool beans. BTW, hard is it to install and removes chips in these boards? Trying to figure out if I want to get another ZIF socket. I assume they come marked as to which end Pin 1 is on?

ShelGame
01-30-2011, 09:12 PM
They come with a machine pin socket. You'll probably want to get one of those pin alignment tools from radio shack. But, you can do it by hand if you're gentle with it.

If you want a ZIF socket in your FourPlay or DoublePlay, I can add that for a small additional fee. Just let me know before you order...

boost geek
01-30-2011, 09:28 PM
What would it cost for the 4play, zif socket, and a loaded chip (4 cals), with the cals differing only in timing?

DodgeZ
01-30-2011, 09:52 PM
They come with a machine pin socket. You'll probably want to get one of those pin alignment tools from radio shack. But, you can do it by hand if you're gentle with it.

If you want a ZIF socket in your FourPlay or DoublePlay, I can add that for a small additional fee. Just let me know before you order...

dang I want a ZIF socket!

ShelGame
01-30-2011, 10:46 PM
What would it cost for the 4play, zif socket, and a loaded chip (4 cals), with the cals differing only in timing?

$40 for the FourPlay + $5 for the ZIF; LM Cal + chip is $30, if you're only changing the timing, then no extra charge. So, $75 total. I assume you're going to tell me what timing you want different in each cal?

---------- Post added at 09:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:43 PM ----------

dang I want a ZIF socket!

You's is already done, but I can shelve it for the next customer and build you up one with a ZIF in it. The ZIF will be an axtra $5, and I don't have any on hand. I'll have to order them. In fact, I'm going to go do that now. I really should have some on hand. And, I need headers anyway to build up the rest of the boards. Figure another 2-3 weeks if you want one with a ZIF.

Let me know what you want to do Kevin...

EDIT: I take that back - I have 2 ZIF sockets in my stash. I have just enough header material to build up 1 more FourPlay. So, if you want a ZIF, just let me know ASAP.

DodgeZ
01-30-2011, 10:48 PM
$40 for the FourPlay + $5 for the ZIF; LM Cal + chip is $30, if you're only changing the timing, then no extra charge. So, $75 total. I assume you're going to tell me what timing you want different in each cal?

---------- Post added at 09:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:43 PM ----------

You's is already done, but I can shelve it for the next customer and build you up one with a ZIF in it. The ZIF will be an axtra $5, and I don't have any on hand. I'll have to order them. In fact, I'm going to go do that now. I really should have some on hand. And, I need headers anyway to build up the rest of the boards. Figure another 2-3 weeks if you want one with a ZIF.

Let me know what you want to do Kevin...

ah, just send it. I can't wait any longer.

Force Fed Mopar
01-30-2011, 11:03 PM
I'll take a ZIF on mine, just send you another 5 on Paypal?

ShelGame
01-30-2011, 11:10 PM
I'll take a ZIF on mine, just send you another 5 on Paypal?

What name is your order under?

Force Fed Mopar
01-30-2011, 11:19 PM
What name is your order under?

Robert Mercer

ShelGame
01-30-2011, 11:24 PM
Robert Mercer

When did you pay? I don't see your order in my PP...

Or is it under "Aaron Automotive" ?

Force Fed Mopar
01-30-2011, 11:48 PM
When did you pay? I don't see your order in my PP...

Or is it under "Aaron Automotive" ?

Yeah that's it, I forgot it shows the business name lol. PM replied to.

ShelGame
01-30-2011, 11:50 PM
OK, both the ZIF's I have on hand have been claimed.

I'm going to order more ZIF's for future use. And, I'll make adding a ZIF to any of my products a 'universal' option for $5.

black86glhs
01-31-2011, 05:08 AM
Do you have the list of the first group to go out?

ShelGame
01-31-2011, 09:36 AM
Do you have the list of the first group to go out?

Shipping today -

Kevin (DodgeZ)
Ron (Vipernbox)
Bryan (black86glhs)
Tony (Bozo)

The only one not shipping is Force Fed's - I have to order more header pins to make him one with a ZIF in it.

That's all the paid orders I have right now. I do have 3 FourPlay's built, tested and ready to ship. And, I have 2 other boards built up that could be a FourPlay or a DoublePlay.

vipernbox
01-31-2011, 10:49 AM
Fired up the GLHS last night for the first time in a long time.. and then I see this this morning.. Life doesn't get much better :)

DodgeZ
01-31-2011, 11:00 AM
Shipping today -

Kevin (DodgeZ)
Ron (Vipernbox)
Bryan (black86glhs)
Tony (username?)

The only one not shipping is Force Fed's - I have to order more header pins to make him one with a ZIF in it.

That's all the paid orders I have right now. I do have 3 FourPlay's built, tested and ready to ship. And, I have 2 other boards built up that could be a FourPlay or a DoublePlay.

can't wait!

Bozo
01-31-2011, 11:17 AM
Cool!! I can't wait either!!! Thanks again Rob!!!!

ShelGame
01-31-2011, 12:48 PM
Bin stacking instructions....

Force Fed Mopar
01-31-2011, 02:13 PM
Awesome, thanks!

boost geek
02-01-2011, 08:58 PM

Whats the best way of doing this? Go to Boostbutton and paste this on the cal page? I basically want cals that will let me eliminate knock. The one cal that works the best I can then save from the chip and "tweak" on a burner or my Ostrich (when I figure out how). Is shipping to Canada extra?

black86glhs
02-02-2011, 01:03 AM
Very nice Rob!!! Thanks. After I get the wiring done under hood, I'll talk to you about getting a chip for the 2 settings I want.
If winter keeps up, it may not be until march, though....lol.

DodgeZ
02-02-2011, 11:44 PM
When you load the 64k bin file the Burn2 automatically changes the offset to 000000. When you load a 16k bin file it sets it to 00C000.... Looks like it is smart enough to set the offset correctly.

vipernbox
02-03-2011, 05:24 PM
Merry Christmas to me... Merry Christmas to me... :eyebrows::eyebrows:

black86glhs
02-03-2011, 05:27 PM
Thanks Rob. Mine showed up yesterday and looks good. Wonder where I'm going to mount the toggle switch?

DodgeZ
02-03-2011, 11:37 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azWAXQ8XPFQ

black86glhs
02-04-2011, 12:10 AM
Nice job!! Thanks for making the video.

vipernbox
02-04-2011, 12:19 AM
no kidding.. I wasn't that worried about burning four cals on one chip... but that little program looks like a pretty slick way to get it done... With the ability to simply change one or a couple... and go again.. I like that kind of simple... Won't have to manually re-stack each time one cal gets adjusted... NICE... that is handy..

Force Fed Mopar
02-04-2011, 01:01 AM
Awesomeness

ShelGame
02-15-2011, 11:53 PM
Anyone had the opportunity to try these out yet? I'm interested to know how they work when switching while the engine is running. Any issues?

DodgeZ
02-16-2011, 08:40 AM
Anyone had the opportunity to try these out yet? I'm interested to know how they work when switching while the engine is running. Any issues?

working good. no issues flipping tunes

ShelGame
02-16-2011, 09:03 AM

Awesome, good to know...

Any issues figuring out which slot is which?

wowzer
02-16-2011, 10:29 AM

dodgez - have u tried the the burn option in the bin stacking program? pm me if u want.

DodgeZ
02-16-2011, 10:46 AM
dodgez - have u tried the the burn option in the bin stacking program? pm me if u want.

nah, I need to download your newest version of software and give it a shot, you said that should fix my template issue? I'll prolly mess around with it tonight, I don't plan to work on my fence tonight so I should have some free time. Question with the stacker program if you save to the same name does it over write the old bin file?

pauly_no_van
02-16-2011, 02:46 PM
PM sent . . .

wowzer
02-16-2011, 02:58 PM
nah, I need to download your newest version of software and give it a shot, you said that should fix my template issue? I'll prolly mess around with it tonight, I don't plan to work on my fence tonight so I should have some free time. Question with the stacker program if you save to the same name does it over write the old bin file?

it should. use save as to change the name.

shelbymonster
04-06-2011, 10:20 AM
if my smec is already socketed , does the fourplay goes in it ? or need something else ?

ShelGame
04-06-2011, 11:38 AM
if my smec is already socketed , does the fourplay goes in it ? or need something else ?

No, you can put the FourPlay right into the socket. No problems there.

However, the FourPlay is designed to run 4 16kb cals on a single 64kb chip. The only 16kb cals for the SMEC are the '88 T1/T2 and the '89 T2. The '89 2.5 T1 and the Turbonator cals are all 32kb. So, only 2 of them will fit onto the 64kb chip. And, you would need a DoublePlay to run them.

Sorry, I don't currently have a FourPlay that is capable of running 4 32kb cals. It could be done, if there was enough demand.

I could also probably cut some routines out of Turbonator and get the code down to 16kb. Maybe this is a better option?

shelbymonster
04-06-2011, 12:29 PM
i dont mind a double play , seriously 4 cal , i only have 3 in my mind and can be done with 2 cals

john1320
04-09-2011, 04:39 PM
Would it be possible for an N/A tune to be setup via turbo smec? I currently have most pieces to convert my TBI to mpfi, through this route. Right now seeing 28-32mpg, gunning to hit 36mpg in my 5-speed Daytona (89). Will be using my 2-piece intake and t1 injectors with an afpr. I love the thought of having 2 tunes, one lean burn saver and one aggressive.

PMs are welcome on chip tune availablility and how to make the smec swap-over/ wiring changes..
I should be able to produce a good turbo smec for socketing.

Force Fed Mopar
04-09-2011, 05:10 PM
Would it be possible for an N/A tune to be setup via turbo smec? I currently have most pieces to convert my TBI to mpfi, through this route. Right now seeing 28-32mpg, gunning to hit 36mpg in my 5-speed Daytona (89). Will be using my 2-piece intake and t1 injectors with an afpr. I love the thought of having 2 tunes, one lean burn saver and one aggressive.

PMs are welcome on chip tune availablility and how to make the smec swap-over/ wiring changes..
I should be able to produce a good turbo smec for socketing.

You can do it that way. It's been done before, a guy did it in an '86 Daytona. Used to have a website or page on it, can't remember the name and dunno if it'd even stil be up. But IIRC he was making 200hp on a MPFI 2.2. I think he pretty much just bolted a T1 intake, wiring and computer onto a TBI engine. Probably had a header too.

But yeah, you could use the flip chip to basically make it a FFV, have a gas and E85 tune. Or just have an 87 and 93 tune.

john1320
04-10-2011, 12:52 PM
I'm willing to bet he had SERIOUS headwork or power lyntz and sings grooves. (sorry spelling) My swapping to a hooker header wouldn't be out of the question, but would have to have the head setup right to take advantage. The 2.5 feels peppy even with the high mileage, i can't imagine yet how well she will work with a rebuild and headwork/ mpfi. Sounds like the potential is there, and i want to prove all the nay-sayers wrong. Let me know if anyone finds that link or a project like this, i'm all worked up now, lol!