PDA

View Full Version : Plymouth Reliant wagon A523 swap

iTurbo
12-09-2010, 08:13 PM
Hey guys, my older brother was given a 1983 Plymouth Reliant wagon for a project car. It is carb 2.2/auto and has not run since about '94. So far we have torn out the old drivetrain and are preparing the new setup which will be an '88 2.2 Turbo II and a '90 A523.

One of the things we haven't figured out yet is what to do about the brake/clutch pedal assembly. My brother used to have a Dodge Aries wagon that had a 4-speed, so I know a factory piece exists. It's just that I doubt very much that I will find a factory manual equipped K-car locally. Is there any chance one from another body style such as the Lancer/Shadow/Daytona could work just as well?

raccoon
12-09-2010, 09:30 PM
i very much do believe shadows/daytonas are the same so something must be common, sounds like an idea for the KB

iTurbo
12-12-2010, 01:29 PM
Yeah I would be surprised if they were much different. I got two jobs now so no time to go the junkyards anymore.:(

I wonder what Cliff Ramsdell used in the 2.5L TIII/A568 wagon he had. That would probably be just what I need except the web page with some of the details of that build went down a while back.

Turbo224
12-12-2010, 05:26 PM
Sounds like a cool project. Im sure there has to be someone on the forum that has the parts you need. Why no T3? :)

iTurbo
12-12-2010, 05:39 PM
Sounds like a cool project. Im sure there has to be someone on the forum that has the parts you need. Why no T3? :)

Hey Tyler, yeah I should just post a WTB ad. I thought about T3, but it's my brother's car and he doesn't really care what's under the hood as long as it's fun. This car is turning out to be the perfect opportunity to unload all my 8v stuff!:thumb:

Turbo224
12-12-2010, 06:39 PM
I thought at this point you would have enough T3 stuff to spare. :D Post some pictures when you guys start putting it together. :nod:

Dodge Aries K
12-12-2010, 06:43 PM
There were factory four speeds until the end of 85 and 5 speeds from 83 (which I have) to 89. I think you basic K car copy cat from a similar era (thinking early G body) should have what you need.

TopDollar69
12-12-2010, 09:03 PM
When I built my 5spd T&C wagon, I used a Daytona setup. I know the pedal box is different on a Spirit, but I think the rest are pretty similar. On an interesting side note, the early manual trans K cars use a rod shifted trans just like the L body cars.

iTurbo
12-12-2010, 10:13 PM
On that Daytona setup you used in the T&C, was it pretty much a bolt in? Did you have to drill a hole in the firewall for the clutch cable pass thru? Maybe this won't be so bad..

raccoon
12-12-2010, 10:22 PM
you will have to drill the hole but if you look close you'll see where the factory worker would punch it out, its clearly indented.

ShadowFromHell
12-12-2010, 11:34 PM
A local JY I am rather sure has a 82 wagon 4spd. Rather complete, send me a PM and maybe we can work something out on pulling the pedals from it.

iTurbo
12-13-2010, 12:12 AM
A local JY I am rather sure has a 82 wagon 4spd. Rather complete, send me a PM and maybe we can work something out on pulling the pedals from it.

Hey that would be cool. I'd like to get something as close to original as possible to minimize hang-ups. I'll send you a PM..