PDA

View Full Version : Decide the fate of this VNT..

vipernbox
12-05-2010, 10:57 PM
Ok...

Look what Santa just brought me... :p:p

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x236/ronholm/utf-8BSU1HMDAyMjEtMjAxMDEyMDUtMTY1Mi5qcGc.jpg

Now what to do with it...

It is generally rough all over.. Not a straight body panel... Interior suffers the usual wear, tear, and abuse..

No smoke or loud noises from the engine... Some minor ticking that went away when the number two wire was pulled... never hooked it back up to see if number one would do the same thing... as pulling either wire made no change to the bad miss....

A quick compression check showed.. 5, 0, 120, 120...

I am guessing a blown headgasket.. but I do not know for sure...

It is about the most beat up 89,000 mile car I have seen... :confused:

Right now I have 86 GLHS that could use a uppgraded transaxle :amen: but I am thinking using the 3.50 diff from a 520 in the 555 from the 88 Shelby Z car would be a better choice...

Leaving the 568 for the van.. :D and the engine for a VNT dune buggy project :love:

Or should I try and save this thing? Or does someone else want to?

A VNT sand rail really sounds like fun to me.... :eyebrows:

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x236/ronholm/utf-8BSU1HMDAyMTUtMjAxMDEyMDMtMTMxNi5qcGc.jpg

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x236/ronholm/utf-8BSU1HMDAyMTQtMjAxMDEyMDMtMTMxNS5qcGc.jpg

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x236/ronholm/utf-8BSU1HMDAyMTMtMjAxMDEyMDMtMTMxNS5qcGc.jpg

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x236/ronholm/utf-8BSU1HMDAyMTItMjAxMDEyMDMtMTMxNS5qcGc.jpg

plymouth
12-05-2010, 11:03 PM
I would try to save it because VNT cars are just that cool. Also your car don't really look all that bad.

wm23n1
12-05-2010, 11:08 PM
Save it! If its not rusted to bad. At the rate shelbys are being parted/scrapped, in about 5 years there will be none left. I had a blue 91 shelby with a mint interior but it had a knocking rod. After looking at it closer, I discovered the car was very rusty underneath. It was from south michigan go figure. I wish i was closer and had something to trade. I will have another blue 90-91 shelby someday.

2.216VTurbo
12-05-2010, 11:13 PM
I may be geography challenged but I had no idea there was sand in Kansas:confused2: Buncha oil wells tho right?

vipernbox
12-05-2010, 11:41 PM
The floor on the driver side kick panel area is rusted out... Like you can keep an eye on the road through a hole in the carpet rusted out...

No sand in KS... but the dunes in OK are not that far... But most of the time I play in the mud and woods..... :D :D but if you say 'woodsbuggy' most don't know what you are talking about... and mine will be street legal next spring anyway....

Also a buddy keeps trying to sell me an Avenger GT 12 kit car... and a tube frame with complete VNT drivetrain would be AWESOME in that also... :love:

but hey... I ain't opposed to saving it.... Just haven't fallen in love with the idea... If it had T-tops... I would be all over it.. But.... Hummm maybe I just need a ttop car to cut up... :eyebrows: :eyebrows:

blk86trbo
12-05-2010, 11:48 PM
Keep it on the road as long as possible! Cars with rusty floors/quarters/etc can have plenty of useful life remaining as a winter beater. Park your clean cars and sacrifice a rusty car to the salt worm...when it gets to the point where it's structurally unsafe, you have a great parts car!

Vigo
12-06-2010, 04:15 AM
A VNT sand rail really sounds like fun to me....

And a REALLY good air filter sounds like a good idea too.. :p

Love the van. 5spd van FTW, btw. I love mine. Strax22 bought a blue VNT daytona just to put the 568 in his van. Parted the rest and now VNT is going in rare, oddball executive sedan.

So i sympathize with that course of action even though noone else will.. :p

You can always put a different powertrain in it and sell it, or sell the shell with no motor to a member for very little.

OR just fix it and drive it.

Twizter68
12-06-2010, 07:25 AM
Fix it and drive it!

Under pressure
12-06-2010, 07:34 AM
T top daytonas are the worst , they flex terrible , consider yourself luck it's not a t top , and that it's blue , fix it !

Juggy
12-06-2010, 09:19 AM
T top daytonas are the worst , they flex terrible , consider yourself luck it's not a t top , and that it's blue , fix it !

have u ever winter driven a T top car??? :lol:

if u think they like to twist, creek an rattle...try driving one in sub degree weather. daytona door handles love zero below too...cant even tell ya how many times the froze up on me, causing me to have to drive home with doors bungy corded down cause the lock mechanism was stuck in the open position

L body FTW :hail:

Under pressure
12-06-2010, 09:56 AM
I closed the door on my ttop 89 in the winter and the driver door glass exploded , drove home 50 miles in Chicago in the winter. You know the ttop daytonas had the upper door frames cut off by the conversion ? Anyways back on topic , I am driving my vnt tona daily and I would reccomend you fix it First , you'll be glad you did once you drive it and park mustard yellow Rudolph.

vipernbox
12-06-2010, 10:28 AM
I closed the door on my ttop 89 in the winter and the driver door glass exploded , drove home 50 miles in Chicago in the winter. You know the ttop daytonas had the upper door frames cut off by the conversion ? Anyways back on topic , I am driving my vnt tona daily and I would reccomend you fix it First , you'll be glad you did once you drive it and park mustard yellow Rudolph.

The color name for what is on the van is 'Cardboard' Don't tell anyone but it is Sherwin Williams industrial enamel... :nod:

It is perfect for what I need it for...

And say what you will.. I LOVE t-top daytona's Heck.. the last one I had I just pulled the carpet and forgot where the tops even were.. :thumb: It was perfectly fine driving in the winter that way until below about 20 degrees... :) I have had several of them... Loved them all.....

The wife is driving a sebring vert right now... It has to be under about 28 degrees before the top stays up.... :p :eyebrows:

Alright... So maybe I will try and make it run... but if it gives me any crapp... :evil: :evil:

Under pressure
12-06-2010, 12:41 PM
Tops or not , good find ! I've only had 2 turbo dodges , an 89T2 and now A 90vnt, both daytonas, I always wanted to drive a vnt when I had the 89 , I am impressed with the car. Hopefully you only have a headgasket problem, good luck !!

vipernbox
12-06-2010, 04:41 PM
HEHE...

I am sure that I have more than a head gasket problem... At least that is what my wife keeps telling me...

:lol:

RattFink
12-06-2010, 06:27 PM
hyu yopui9m[90imo-=.]' |
\
;[] .l
,.o-po,
,opo[
,m=\,p mmji gv6rtub7bytihuykyubykbvg7yrddggdgtaskytkktnnniunul iaYF 7y uifij hfjKjkjl .l;';'lf'l;;' ;' ;' ';;'
'

'
''
'
';'
;;

bakes
12-06-2010, 08:19 PM
hyu yopui9m[90imo-=.]' |
\
;[] .l
,.o-po,
,opo[
,m=\,p mmji gv6rtub7bytihuykyubykbvg7yrddggdgtaskytkktnnniunul iaYF 7y uifij hfjKjkjl .l;';'lf'l;;' ;' ;' ';;'
'

'
''
'
';'
;;

Oh no someone got into the bottle again:D

JohnnyIroc
12-06-2010, 08:36 PM
WHERE ARE THEY ALL COMMING FROM!!
how many is that in the last few month?
6?

i was having fun with mine till i blew it up...
Save it, its a nice twin to mine and at the least a good DD

RattFink
12-06-2010, 09:36 PM
hyu yopui9m[90imo-=.]' |
\
;[] .l
,.o-po,
,opo[
'

'
''
'
';'
;;

lol, my son must've got on the computer. My bad. I would keep the VNT and fix it up a bit personally.

TonaChris
12-06-2010, 09:51 PM
Vnt aside...that is the awesomest reindeer van ever!:banana-mario:

Vigo
12-07-2010, 02:54 AM
Hows the van tow with that trailer?

Im getting worked up about my vnt project.. VNT-S60 is in the cards! Just gotta figure out a compressor cover and balancing..

vipernbox
12-07-2010, 10:31 AM
The van towed it pretty good actually... The trailer empty weighs about 1200lbs... Plus the Daytona :confused: It is manageable.. But I don't think I would want to go far.. Mostly because I still think the Van is fighting a flaky O2 or something??

I don't have trailer brakes on that trailer... :confused: So I went slow and left LOTS of room... and the van could use some airbags or something so it could take more of a tongue load to really be safe pulling... but with some brakes on the trailer it would be no big deal at all...

But hey.... It got it done...

Oh and BTW.. the receiver I have on the van.. I almost bought a purpose built one... But I had one laying in my shop from a Grand Cherokee that found its way to the scrap yard... I only had to drill one hole on each side to use the Jeep Receiver.. It tucks under the bumper perfectly... and frame rails ect are all the perfect width and spacing... And the receiver is rated for way more than I will ever have back there... :thumb:

Vigo
12-07-2010, 01:20 PM
Heh, yeh i got a beefy one from a 96-00 van that i put on mine. I think i had to drill more holes than that but like you said it tucks up perfect and is super heavy duty.

vipernbox
12-14-2010, 05:53 PM
Dang... One of ya'll "save the VNT" guys is going to need to step up to the plate...

for some damn reason a 90 2.5 T1 5spd ES followed me home today...

Vigo
12-14-2010, 10:19 PM
If it's a spirit, im excited.:D

vipernbox
12-15-2010, 01:08 AM
Nope... Just another beat up Daytona with rusty floorpans...

The VNT is on the lift...

the drivers floor is rusted out pretty bad... and the passenger side is on its way... and some touches behind the gas tank in that structure.... I'll post some pix tomorrow..

To bad it isn't an L body or it would be worth fixing... :lol:

JohnnyIroc
12-16-2010, 12:51 AM
Nope... Just another beat up Daytona with rusty floorpans...

The VNT is on the lift...

the drivers floor is rusted out pretty bad... and the passenger side is on its way... and some touches behind the gas tank in that structure.... I'll post some pix tomorrow..

To bad it isn't an L body or it would be worth fixing... :lol:
i was hacking at the exhaust on my VNT today.. HOLY ---- THIS THING IS RUSTY
i don't know what to do with the thing.... just DD it till i fall through the floor is the current plan after i fix it....
unless someone wants a rusty blue VNT for 2k? :eyebrows:

vipernbox
12-16-2010, 11:14 PM
Alright... SO I have some good news and some bad news...

Again.. For a car that doesn't even have 90K on it... Damn.. what a damn greasy mess... I have no idea how the floor managed to get rusty with all that nasty caked under and on just about everything under the hood of this car... what a deal...

The VNT seems to have almost no shaft play and looks to be in great shape...

But here it is....

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x236/ronholm/utf-8BSU1HMDAyNTctMjAxMDEyMTYtMjAxNC5qcGc.jpg

And it took the head with it... I guess it could be welded up... :mad: Damned felpro gaskets...

Oh... and the stupid car... I have never seen this before either... I BROKE a damned headbolt.... WTF.. New one for me... Some how it rusted in the hole... Amazing... Lucky for the car I was able to get it out by welding a nut to the broken part of the bolt... Cause if I had to drop the block over something like that... The 568 would have found a new home.. I promise you that... :bolt: the Sawzall was calling my name all night
:partywoot:

So now the question is this.. If I stick a head on there and go??? anybody want this thing?

even if I drop the pan and lose the stupid balance shafts.. and do a redneck re-ring.. I still can't see the sun and stars when cruising...

So what gives...

Should I take the 89 2.5T1 auto ES t-top car... and fit the t-top parts to the 90 VNT.. making it a one of none :thumb:

But then still... Ya can't make big power and still claim a legit VNT... So what would be the point in that?

I guess I just put the engine back together and put it up For sale???

I don't want a Daytona unwilling to go topless... :angel:

Vigo
12-17-2010, 12:09 AM
How big of power do you want? People have put t3 s60 compressor wheels on the vnt turbo, there's 300whp of airflow on the compressor side.. The exhaust side is restrictive but if you add an external wastegate you're killing two birds because you'll be adding exhaust flow AND saying goodbye to boost control problems.

vipernbox
12-17-2010, 12:45 AM
How big of power do you want? People have put t3 s60 compressor wheels on the vnt turbo, there's 300whp of airflow on the compressor side.. The exhaust side is restrictive but if you add an external wastegate you're killing two birds because you'll be adding exhaust flow AND saying goodbye to boost control problems.

An External gate on top of the VNT? Just Cheating some exhaust around the turbo to avoid a choke point???? Sounds like a lot to control... But if it could work it would be pretty slick...

Didn't Wallace "mopar2ya" try that ??? I thought I remember reading about him trying the cheat that way.....

With a S60 compressor... That would be kinda neat... if it works...

Anybody actually done this?

Vigo
12-17-2010, 01:35 AM
An External gate on top of the VNT? Just Cheating some exhaust around the turbo to avoid a choke point???? Sounds like a lot to control... But if it could work it would be pretty slick...

It's hardly cheating. A wastegate works the same on a VNT as it would on any other turbo.

As for whether people have done it, they've definitely done the s60/vnt combo (among others) but i dont know if anyone has done BOTH an upgraded compressor AND an external wastegate.

for what it's worth FWDPerformance owned a vnt car that dyno'd 270whp.

vipernbox
12-17-2010, 10:47 PM
Alright.. So if I could bust out 250hp... That would make a nice cruiser...

And for the first time took a really good hard look at the hack job they really did making T-top daytona's... Popped a couple pieces of trim from the 89 I have here... and yeah... the good and the bad of that is... Well... yeah.. that work they did is pretty rough... but the good news is that being that it is that rough, and ..truly a hack job.... it should be no problem to move it over the VNT car... :lol:

Where if any reinforcements were added??? or is the flex everyone complains about the result of that oversight?

So I guess for now... it is going to be an ugly driver... until the sawzall sneaks out of its case... :lol:

Twizter68
12-19-2010, 01:44 PM
Just do yourself a favor and practice the install on a basket case car first...no need to destroy a good chassis.

vipernbox
12-19-2010, 02:05 PM
Nah... that is the whole point... the VNT car I have isn't a 'good Chassis' the floor on the Drivers side is rusted out... literally...

So it is going to need lots of welding to be a nice car anyway...

My Dad came over last night.. He has been doing body work for 35 years... and he was trying to figure out what the heck I was doing scrapping the 88 Z... which is/was a TX car... (no title) and putting that rusty VNT back together...

I didn't have anything to tell him... :o

So uuhh yeah.. I have had plenty of 'practice' welding cars together... :thumb:

Vigo
12-19-2010, 02:23 PM
Scrap the vnt shell for $200 and use that $200 to bribe a friendly shop owner into helping you get the title to the other car, if you want a non-rusty car.

last time i did a shop lien on something, cost me $120.

vipernbox
12-19-2010, 02:31 PM
Too late :evil::nod:

Vigo
12-19-2010, 03:33 PM
Oh well, cant blame you. Ive scrapped 4 rust free daytonas myself, and one of them was a vnt. But rust-free doesn't mean crap down here. And i just dont like daytonas.:evil:

vipernbox
12-19-2010, 03:42 PM
I used to just love daytona's I had a Red/silver 89 TBI ES when I was 17-21... Dad made me sell the blue turbo one... (that I bought) and the TBI was the only way out of the 4cly auto Corsica he said he would provide for me after I got caught by a family member driving to fast in the Blue daytona...

But now... If I want to go fast... why would I want all that weight.... or not be able to take the family.. and I damn sure don't want to be couped up in one without being able to see the sky....

So yeah.. I know exactly how you feel.... :evil::evil::evil::amen:

Vigo
12-20-2010, 02:44 AM
Man, if there is one thing slower than a tbi/auto daytona, its a 2.0 or 2.2/auto corsica! Good thing you went with the daytona..

Juggy
12-20-2010, 10:51 AM
Man, if there is one thing slower than a tbi/auto daytona, its a 2.0 or 2.2/auto corsica! Good thing you went with the daytona..

lol. the 3.1L corsica is fun as heck tho :eyebrows:

Vigo
12-20-2010, 02:05 PM
Yeh the 3100 ones are pretty strong. Plus they're ready for 3500 and 3900 swaps. :)

vipernbox
12-20-2010, 02:06 PM
sshhhyeah..

unloaded the old ford single axle dump truck we had at work that the time would outrun that POS corsica... Gawd.. I beat the heck out of that car...

and when I bought the Red daytona... my dad sold it to some family friends... I couldn't talk them out of it...

Then they put another 200K on that car... it had 140K when they got it...

I have no idea how that thing lasted that long... It just wouldn't die... heck.. the only time the engine was opened was at around 270K when I put a head gasket on it for them....

Didn't make enough power to hurt itself I guess...

Vigo
12-20-2010, 05:53 PM
Man TBI 2.5s are damn near invincible, i love the things. I had one in my light Aries with some mods and a 5spd and it was actually pretty fun.

There's one guy floating around here who got a tbi omni into the high 14s.

vipernbox
01-03-2011, 11:46 AM
Well... This stupid VNT car is running.... I still need to properly fix the vacuum system... For now the brittle PIA factory stuff just got band aid'ed back together.... and it isn't all right... as I have an occasional stumble and an overboost problem... But that isn't a big deal... engine sounds great.... Well... after I figured out how to make it idle... :yuck: the gas that was in the tank didn't smell good... but it damn sure wouldn't run on it...

Post head job compression check showed over 150psi on all four cylinders now :clap: