PDA

View Full Version : Srt4 swap in l body.

ShelbyLancer282
12-03-2010, 04:55 PM
Ok hopefully this will simplify this for everyone, what exactly is needed to do this swap? I see that everyone had conflicting views on it and its real confusing honestly. So can someone break it all down for us? Like parts list, tools needed, um and step by step on what to do? Thanx.

turbovanmanČ
12-03-2010, 06:04 PM
http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showpost.php?p=745606&postcount=3

Tools, the usual suspects.

Others will chime in with more info.

rbryant
12-03-2010, 06:36 PM
The intake to radiator fan is a bigtime clearance issue in the lbody.

Either the intake or the radiator/fan has to be changed for it to fit.

I have a fully custom intake manifold for mine with a big radiator but it was a major PITA to get it to fit. Others have used a DOHC neon intake manifold with a smaller radiator/fan.

-Rich

ShelbyLancer282
12-03-2010, 07:25 PM
Thanks guys for awesome info, But I was thinking that someone with experience could write up a how to for the knowledge center so everything is in one clear cut easy to read condensed spot. And this isn't a 2.0 block with srt internals its an actual srt4 motor which I thought was not same as 2.0 block.

rbryant
12-03-2010, 07:32 PM
Thanks guys for awesome info, But I was thinking that someone with experience could write up a how to for the knowledge center so everything is in one clear cut easy to read condensed spot.

Don't be so lazy... The info is mostly there in the 2.4 conversion thread. :)

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=197

You are actually in the wrong forum for this... It should be in the 2.0/2.4 swap forum not the hybrid forum.

The lbody is just tighter clearance wise than the other cars. Everything else is basically the same. I also found that I really couldn't fit a rear acessory on my charger with the 2.4l block. So I ran a front alternator and AC with an electric/hydraulic PS pump from a Toyota MR2. It isn't done yet though so I don't have any results for you.

-Rich

ShelbyLancer282
12-03-2010, 07:54 PM
Key word there is mostly duh aka not a complete breakdown lol. And I'm posting thru my phone so kinda hard to search whereas a write up for the knowledge center would be soo much better right? Ain't that why its there for?

rbryant
12-03-2010, 08:09 PM
Key word there is mostly duh aka not a complete breakdown lol. And I'm posting thru my phone so kinda hard to search whereas a write up for the knowledge center would be soo much better right? Ain't that why its there for?

Yes but it isn't like people are getting paid to write KC articles....

Perhaps you should do the research and post it all up in a concise manner for everyone else if it is that big of a deal to you... :)

I think the 2.4 conversion thread has pretty much everything except for the clearance issues.

There is an article on the transmissions and starters in the KC that I wrote.
The clearance issues are the area that isn't covered and it really depends on a lot of things in your own build.

My buildup thread also has a lot of the information on the clearances in an lbody.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34578

The research can never be 100% consolidated as every swap has some differences. There are different clearance issues depending on what acessories you use, etc. The threads are a good guide but the honest truth is that a swap takes hard work.

Nobody is going to 100% spoon feed you in life!

-Rich

86seeS
12-03-2010, 08:29 PM
I have been sick this week so I am grumpy but if you don't have the time to read threads and do research then you won't figure it out anyway...

-Rich

^ lol

turbovanmanČ
12-03-2010, 08:34 PM

-Rich

NOW you tell me, :mad: :censored:

rbryant
12-03-2010, 08:43 PM
NOW you tell me, :mad: :censored:

I said I was grumpy...

I dropped from 170lbs Wed night to 161lbs this morning with some sort of stomach virus so I am not really a pleasant person today.

-Rich

ShelbyLancer282
12-03-2010, 10:20 PM
Well I guess I'm more concerned with mounting and hooking it all up. And where to get the parts I need since its not a drop in plug and play swap. I'm not using ac I would like ps tho. And megasquirt might be my choice for running it. I have a 523 trans dead stock srt motor so stock srt manifold so yeah. I will log it all but ain't no one spoon feeding me lol. As for your virus drink some raw unfiltered apple cider vinegar mixed with raw honey and water and you will be better real fast.

turbovanmanČ
12-03-2010, 10:24 PM
I said I was grumpy...

I dropped from 170lbs Wed night to 161lbs this morning with some sort of stomach virus so I am not really a pleasant person today.

-Rich

Hahahaa, you really are out of it, it wasn't a jab at you, :p

Hope your feeling better and I know about being ill and loosing weight fast, :(

Well I guess I'm more concerned with mounting and hooking it all up. I'm not using ac I would like ps tho. And megasquirt might be my choice for running it. I heaver a 523 trans dead stock srt motor so stock srt manifold so yeah. I will log it all but ain't no one spoon feeding me lol. As for your virus drink some raw unfiltered apple cider vinegar mixed with raw honey and water and you will be better real fast.

Well mounting it is cake, its the other small bits that add up.

Running a SMEC setup is another idea.

As for the 523, if you use that, you will have to modify it as one of the front bolts doesn't align properly.

shelbydave
12-03-2010, 10:33 PM
I said I was grumpy...

-Rich
Find the virus you have / had... I could stand to lose a few pounds...

... If I could only get one of those virus before my next dr appt. He may then be happy with my weight :)

rbryant
12-04-2010, 02:50 AM
Find the virus you have / had... I could stand to lose a few pounds...

... If I could only get one of those virus before my next dr appt. He may then be happy with my weight :)

I might be able to come up with some samples from drinking glasses that haven't been washed yet but you don't want it.

It is hard to choose which position over the toilet you want at any given moment. Getting it out of order isn't good either...

-Rich

rbryant
12-04-2010, 02:52 AM
As for the 523, if you use that, you will have to modify it as one of the front bolts doesn't align properly.

And Modify the ND starter to fit...

The Bosch starter won't fit at all unless you grind on the block and that can be dangerous...

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/vbarticles.php?do=article&articleid=111

-Rich

ShelbyLancer282
12-04-2010, 02:53 AM
lol,.well that's why I'm asking now before I get started and screw something up. What do I need to do to use my 523 and where do I get the stuff to make this go as smoothly as possible? do I have to change k member? I see different views on about everything and that results in alot of confusion.

turbovanmanČ
12-04-2010, 03:32 AM
lol,.well that's why I'm asking now before I get started and screw something up. What do I need to do to use my 523 and where do I get the stuff to make this go as smoothly as possible? do I have to change k member? I see different views on about everything and that results in alot of confusion.

Use the SRT or Neon trans, use the original K-member.

ShelbyLancer282
12-04-2010, 10:49 AM
But isn't the srt trans hydraulic how do you work that out.

Mopar318
12-04-2010, 10:53 AM
But isn't the srt trans hydraulic how do you work that out.

You would have to mount the clutch master cylinder at the pedal and run the hydraulic line to the slave cylinder at the transmission.:thumb:

rx2mazda
12-04-2010, 11:28 AM
..........make this go as smoothly as possible?

If you don't have access to a shop with a tig welder and fabrication tools you are gonna be in for a lot of frustration. THIS WILL NOT GO SMOOTHLY, PROMISE, even if you do have those items. It takes a lot of time to complete the swap and it can get frustrating. I put a TIII in my Omni and that swap is easier than a srt4 swap and it was still a pain in the a$$ and took 7 months. The Omni is the hardest car to put a bigger motor into, a Charger gives you more room up front where you need it.

It will be cool, and fast when you get finished though! Good Luck.

rbryant
12-04-2010, 09:32 PM
You would have to mount the clutch master cylinder at the pedal and run the hydraulic line to the slave cylinder at the transmission.:thumb:

The SRT4 T850 transmission sucks. It tends to break the 2-3 synchro and it weighs twice as much as the 523/568 at around 190lbs.... It doesn't support high RPM very well because it was really designed for a diesel engine...

The 523/568 are generally considered stronger than the neon transmission. They have the advantage of the driver's side 525 transmission mount working (with slight grinding) but the disadvantage of the missing bellhousing boss.

The Neon T350 transmission can work. If you go that route I would suggest finding an T350HD and then swapping a 1G bellhousing onto it so that you can use a simple clutch cable instead of the hydraulic clutch. The T350 bellhousings are bolt on so they can be changed...

The other option is the PT cruiser 5 speed which is a Getrag 288? Nobody has really used that one that I know of but it might be a stronger option than the T350 and lighter than the T850. I am interested to see how similar the getrag 288 is to the GM F23 (also a getrag) because the GM version has several LSDs available for it. The Getrag would be something where you could be breaking new ground on the mounts, etc.

-Rich

turbovanmanČ
12-04-2010, 10:20 PM
If you don't have access to a shop with a tig welder and fabrication tools you are gonna be in for a lot of frustration. THIS WILL NOT GO SMOOTHLY, PROMISE, even if you do have those items. It takes a lot of time to complete the swap and it can get frustrating. I put a TIII in my Omni and that swap is easier than a srt4 swap and it was still a pain in the a$$ and took 7 months. The Omni is the hardest car to put a bigger motor into, a Charger gives you more room up front where you need it.

It will be cool, and fast when you get finished though! Good Luck.

Wise words from a wise guy, take that as you will Carroll, hehe, :p

ShelbyLancer282
12-05-2010, 01:02 AM
Ok so I have an 05 srt4 complete which is why I asked lol I heard from a few srt guys third gear was weak. But I know where I can get a pt five speed. I honestly thought they had same trans guess I was wrong. Why would chrysler put weaker trans in the faster car lol? So what way is best do you gurus suggest? And what stuff would I need to fabricate?

rdnoel86
12-05-2010, 02:37 AM
The T850 could cause some fit issues in the L-body in terms of rubbing the wheel while turning. Its just physically much bigger then a 568 or whatever origanal style trans you might use. Has there been anyone use a T850 in an L body and got it to work?? I haven't followed that closely in a while but have not heard of an T850 actually in use. I have one in my garage and decided I was going with the 288. Its smaller, seems to hold up well with the PT crowd and the clutch system won't be a nightmare....

The SRT4 T850 transmission sucks. It tends to break the 2-3 synchro and it weighs twice as much as the 523/568 at around 190lbs.... It doesn't support high RPM very well because it was really designed for a diesel engine...

The 523/568 are generally considered stronger than the neon transmission. They have the advantage of the driver's side 525 transmission mount working (with slight grinding) but the disadvantage of the missing bellhousing boss.

The Neon T350 transmission can work. If you go that route I would suggest finding an T350HD and then swapping a 1G bellhousing onto it so that you can use a simple clutch cable instead of the hydraulic clutch. The T350 bellhousings are bolt on so they can be changed...

The other option is the PT cruiser 5 speed which is a Getrag 288? Nobody has really used that one that I know of but it might be a stronger option than the T350 and lighter than the T850. I am interested to see how similar the getrag 288 is to the GM F23 (also a getrag) because the GM version has several LSDs available for it. The Getrag would be something where you could be breaking new ground on the mounts, etc.

-Rich

Mopar318
12-05-2010, 11:57 AM

-Rich

What is the T350HD and what did it come on? Im going to be running the Neon trans on the SRT4 engine in my neon. If there is a better trans I might go with it though.

rx2mazda
12-05-2010, 12:34 PM
There is a guy that just put a complete srt4 engine and trans in a Omni and he did a very nice job. He is not on this forum though.

rx2mazda
12-05-2010, 12:35 PM
Wise words from a wise guy, take that as you will Carroll, hehe, :p

:cool:

rbryant
12-05-2010, 05:45 PM
Ok so I have an 05 srt4 complete which is why I asked lol I heard from a few srt guys third gear was weak. But I know where I can get a pt five speed. I honestly thought they had same trans guess I was wrong. Why would chrysler put weaker trans in the faster car lol? So what way is best do you gurus suggest? And what stuff would I need to fabricate?

I wouldn't necessarily say that the T850 is "weaker" but it has issues with the synchros and doesn't hold up well with high RPM shifts. The Quaife in the newer versions is also nice.

Considering the extra weight, fitment issues, and the hydro clutch it isn't a great option unless you are going all out. If you put a bunch of cash into upgrading some of the components in the T850 and want the strongest thing possible then it is probably the best thing but isn't isn't the best for everyone.

-Rich

rbryant
12-05-2010, 09:58 PM
What is the T350HD and what did it come on? Im going to be running the Neon trans on the SRT4 engine in my neon. If there is a better trans I might go with it though.

http://www.neons.org/forumdodge/trans.htm

Mopar318
12-12-2010, 10:35 AM
T350 Torque Capicity - 135 ft. lbs.

Uh, thats not good. Any Idea on how much they can really take? So It looks like I might be on the look out for a 350HD from a 2000 neon that uses the cable clutch.