PDA

View Full Version : Another Shelby Charger Question

CDNTurboZ
06-26-2006, 11:56 PM
How does the windsheild moulding come off?? It looks like it pops off somehow, but I don't want to break/bend it.

Also how does this moulding come off the top of the doors, and under the rear windows??
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y208/Sunday_Bloody_Sunday/2005_11_25002.jpg

thanks

GLHS592
06-27-2006, 11:45 AM
You will need a special tool for the windshield moldings. You might be able to purchase one at an auto paint store. My friend that painted my car had one in his tool box.

Take the door panels off and remove the windows. You will see screws holding the door trim on.

The quarter windows have screws holding them on from the outside if memory serves me correctly. You will have to take the windows out to access them. You will also have to remove the sail panels. You can access the nuts holding the sail panels on by removing the interior plastic.

85shelbycharger
06-27-2006, 03:10 PM
You will need a special tool for the windshield moldings. You might be able to purchase one at an auto paint store. My friend that painted my car had one in his tool box.

Take the door panels off and remove the windows. You will see screws holding the door trim on.

The quarter windows have screws holding them on from the outside if memory serves me correctly. You will have to take the windows out to access them. You will also have to remove the sail panels. You can access the nuts holding the sail panels on by removing the interior plastic.

Yep, you're exactly right Kevin. The molding on the door comes off after you remove the window fuzzie screws from the inside. And yes, there are 3 screws holding the quarter window molding on. The window and sail panel have to be removed to gain access to them.

CDNTurboZ
06-27-2006, 05:33 PM
Thanks guys, do you know by chance what the name of this special tool???

85shelbycharger
06-27-2006, 05:46 PM
Thanks guys, do you know by chance what the name of this special tool???

I'm not too sure on it but I'll try and find out for you tonight.

GLHS592
06-27-2006, 06:22 PM
I'd imagine you could just ask for a Chrysler windshield trim removal tool. The paint store also had replacement clips. I had the part number written down. The box they came in is in my tool chest that just happens to be in storage. :(

CDNTurboZ
06-27-2006, 09:34 PM
I'd imagine you could just ask for a Chrysler windshield trim removal tool. The paint store also had replacement clips. I had the part number written down. The box they came in is in my tool chest that just happens to be in storage. :(

Are the clips supposed to hold the windsheild trim down? I know mine was starting to lift a bit....

85shelbycharger
06-27-2006, 09:47 PM
Are the clips supposed to hold the windsheild trim down? I know mine was starting to lift a bit....

As far as I know that is what they're supposed to do.

GLHS592
06-27-2006, 10:08 PM
Yes. There are roughly 30 of them that hold the trim down. They are very easy to pop off with that tool. They are also easy to pop back on. You will ruin the old clips taking the trim off.

CDNTurboZ
06-27-2006, 10:08 PM
As far as I know that is what they're supposed to do.

sorry lol, I ment the clips he was talking about are for the windshield trim, and not for something else:o

CDNTurboZ
06-28-2006, 12:02 AM
I have a few more quick questions:

1. Is there a way to remove that "drip rail" that goes on the roof above the doors??(It channels water to the rear) The seam sealer or whatever is in there is all cracked, and it would be nice to remove them, and clean them up.

2. Water Is leaking into the car from somewhere by the bottom of the windshield, or wiper tunnel area, is it just seamsealer which has to be scraped off and redone??

3. For the door pins, is it just pins, or bushings as well?? (the guy at the dealer said it was just pins)

4. For the rear hatch seal, is there a replacement that can be bought?? Mine is all cracked and dirty, and it is being removed for paint.
Same with the side rear windows, that seal, is it still available?

thanks

85shelbycharger
06-28-2006, 01:05 AM
I have a few more quick questions:

1. Is there a way to remove that "drip rail" that goes on the roof above the doors??(It channels water to the rear) The seam sealer or whatever is in there is all cracked, and it would be nice to remove them, and clean them up.

2. Water Is leaking into the car from somewhere by the bottom of the windshield, or wiper tunnel area, is it just seamsealer which has to be scraped off and redone??

3. For the door pins, is it just pins, or bushings as well?? (the guy at the dealer said it was just pins)

4. For the rear hatch seal, is there a replacement that can be bought?? Mine is all cracked and dirty, and it is being removed for paint.
Same with the side rear windows, that seal, is it still available?

thanks

I removed an uncracked drip rail molding from a Charger at the junkyard about a year ago. It took me almost an hour as you have to be real careful not to break it. They're glued on.

Yea, the doors are just held on with two pins, but they are a pain in the arse to remove lol.

As far as I know, there aren't any replacement seals being made.

slasky
06-28-2006, 01:53 AM
Damn is the tundra still frozen up in Manitoba?

CDNTurboZ
06-28-2006, 03:05 AM
Damn is the tundra still frozen up in Manitoba?

No lol, that pic is from January:p, its like +30 C now

CDNTurboZ
06-28-2006, 01:22 PM
I removed an uncracked drip rail molding from a Charger at the junkyard about a year ago. It took me almost an hour as you have to be real careful not to break it. They're glued on.

Yea, the doors are just held on with two pins, but they are a pain in the arse to remove lol.

As far as I know, there aren't any replacement seals being made.

thanks, how about the leak from behind the dash?? Is this a common problem??

85shelbycharger
06-28-2006, 03:04 PM
thanks, how about the leak from behind the dash?? Is this a common problem??

A common problem...possibly. My car doesn't leak, but it sounds like you have the right idea. You may just need to get some more sealer on there.

CDNTurboZ
06-28-2006, 11:19 PM
A common problem...possibly. My car doesn't leak, but it sounds like you have the right idea. You may just need to get some more sealer on there.

Thanks, I ended up doing a search on TD.com and found out that it is a simple fix of just seam sealing

I am looking for a new rear bumper cover, will one from a regular charger 2.2 work?? I have compared pics and they look pretty much the same.....

rare_ram
06-28-2006, 11:30 PM
They are the same.

85shelbycharger
06-28-2006, 11:49 PM
They are the same.

+1
You can use one from a Turismo as well, they're all the same.

CDNTurboZ
06-29-2006, 04:09 PM
Thanks guys!:)

CDNTurboZ
07-06-2006, 12:04 AM
Well we ran into a big snag this evening, while we were hammering out the passenger's side door pin, the screw driver handle broke, now there is just a rod from the screwdriver halfway in the hinge, with the old pin still stuck halfway
So we attempted to at least finish hitting the old pin out. Of course that didn't work so we tried heating it then pounding which in turn bent the door hinge:mad:
We grinded off the remaining screw driver rod and tried to punch the rod out but ended up chewing up the hinge even more:mad:

So my question is to take off the hinge I pretty much have to grind off the welds correct??

How hard is it going to be to put back on/align it?? Also does anyone have a lower hinge for sale????

This sucks as the car is sooo close to being ready for paint....:(

Any help would be great
steve

GLHS592
07-06-2006, 07:22 AM
You DON'T want to grind off the hinge. Take a cut off wheel and cut the screwdriver or something.

CDNTurboZ
07-06-2006, 03:52 PM
You DON'T want to grind off the hinge. Take a cut off wheel and cut the screwdriver or something.

Thanks for the warning, we are going to try again tonight, we have ground off the screwdriver flush to the hinge, so now we can try to punch it out, the thing that sucks it the driver's side ones came out really easily, compared to this side:(

GLHS592
07-06-2006, 07:10 PM
I didn't see where it was discussed. You can get brand new hinge pins from Mopar. Drive the top ones in from the bottom and the bottom ones in from the top.

CDNTurboZ
07-07-2006, 12:11 AM
I have already gotten the pins, we tried again with no progress:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y208/Sunday_Bloody_Sunday/95ddcfcf.jpg

it is looking like that hinge has to come off.:mad:

GLHS592
07-07-2006, 07:10 AM
I still wouldn't cut that hinge off. Grind on that pin until you can pull the door out. Bend the hinge back and drill out the pin.

Wayne
07-18-2006, 10:42 PM
I have already gotten the pins, we tried again with no progress

You drove the pin the wrong way. It is stuck up against the door. If you cut the pin off right under the hinge it should come on out. The bottom hinge pin is suppose to be driven up not down. Ask me how I know. I did the same thing once but I cut the hinge pin off and didn't mess up the hinge.

Wayne

87glhs232
02-27-2007, 12:09 AM
Well, to drag up an old thread.....

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=38386

Is the third tool from the left the correct one to remove L-body windshield trim? If so, how do you use it? How about reinstalling the trim? Do they just snap on with new clips or something? Does anybody have a brand/PN for the clips?
Thanks!

GLHS592
02-27-2007, 12:14 AM
Put the tool under the trim against the glass and slide it over until you hit a clip. It will pry up on the clip and release the trim from the clip. When you reinstall the trim, just pop the clips onto the pegs and the trim pops back on. I have the box for the clips in the toolbox in the basement. If I don't reply with the brand and part # tomorrow, I've probably forgotten. Hit me with a PM to remind me.

87glhs232
02-27-2007, 12:27 AM
Put the tool under the trim against the glass and slide it over until you hit a clip. It will pry up on the clip and release the trim from the clip. When you reinstall the trim, just pop the clips onto the pegs and the trim pops back on. I have the box for the clips in the toolbox in the basement. If I don't reply with the brand and part # tomorrow, I've probably forgotten. Hit me with a PM to remind me.

Thanks Kevin.

Man....I'm so jazzed it's getting painted next week :clap2: :) :) :) :) :)

GLHS592
02-27-2007, 09:36 PM
Believe it or not, I remembered!

The reveal molding clips are made by Au-ve-co Products. The part number is 20276. They are for 1974 and newer Chrysler vehicles with reveal molding. There are 25 in a box. I had 5 or 6 left over. I purchased them at my local automotive paint supply store. I don't remember how much they cost.

87glhs232
02-28-2007, 03:07 AM
Believe it or not, I remembered!

The reveal molding clips are made by Au-ve-co Products. The part number is 20276. They are for 1974 and newer Chrysler vehicles with reveal molding. There are 25 in a box. I had 5 or 6 left over. I purchased them at my local automotive paint supply store. I don't remember how much they cost.

Awsome! Thanks Kevin!

87glhs232
02-28-2007, 09:59 PM
Stupid autobody supply stores here don't have them! :mad:

GLHS592
02-28-2007, 10:16 PM
Try their website. http://www.auveco.com/ They have a toll free phone number. They might be able to tell you somewhere to buy them. If you can't find them anywhere, I might be able to pick up a box for you.

87glhs232
02-28-2007, 11:13 PM
Thanks Kevin. I supposed I could have figured that out if I had used my brain....duh. I sent an email to them requesting a local distributor. If I have no luck, I'll let you know.

87glhs232
03-03-2007, 05:16 PM
Well, I spoke with Au-ve-co and there is only one dealer in my area. They turned out to be useless. So faced with ordering them from the other side of the country I did some leg work and found a good reliable source for Chrysler reveal moulding clips that we all have easy access to. Napa! My local store did not stock them, but were able to order them. After looking through their Balkamp products I asked for a Balkamp catalog. Looked through it and found them. They are part # BK 6651121 and come in a bag of 16 for $5.77 (USD). My Charger uses 21 on the windshield so I ordered two bags.

As far as the removal tool is concerned you do use the pointy arrow shaped one I referenced in a previous post. Once you figure out how to use it it's really easy. A note of caution though, the moulding has (what used to be) a rubber seal attached to it on the under side. Make sure the tool slides under the moulding AND the seal. Though if it's like mine the seal is falling apart and completly worthless and it won't matter if you damage it.

Chrysler also carries them, however the parts guy told me they were $4.50 EACH. I suspect he simply didn't know what he was talking about.

CDNTurboZ
03-03-2007, 10:15 PM
Its funny I went to the dealer to see how much clips were, they said.......$5 a clip!!!!, that would have been like $125 just for those little clips, I went to my local bodyshop, and in their catalog they have a box of 25 for like $5

87glhs232
03-03-2007, 10:28 PM
So my dealer wasn't hitting the crack pipe! $5 a clip....jeez!