PDA

View Full Version : A few quick transmission ?'s

stampederunner
06-26-2006, 10:25 PM
I broke the passenger side axle in my 86 daytona so I pull an axle from a 85 lazer. I'm thinking both are unequal length and small spline, well I was wrong. Once I pull the bad axle from my car I realize I have an unequal length large spline axle. It is my understanding that all 87 and up turbo cars got equal length large spline axles, or am I wrong? I already know that it has a different transmission, my consern is that the idiot I bought the car from put a non-turbo transmission in the car. So how I can I be sure that it is a turbo transmission. Also I need to know what cars had unequal length large spline axles. Thanks in advance for any help!

Anonymous_User
06-27-2006, 07:44 AM
The change from small spline to large spline happened in mid-86 so some '86 cars had small spline and some had large.

TurboJerry
06-28-2006, 02:08 AM
You should be glad you have the big axles............ It sucks that you can't use your spare(s), but the much improved design is worth the hassle...... The only truly *better* trans is the '89+ Turbo / V-6 ones. they have 4 clutches direct / forward insted of 3 / 3 like the TBI's. The '88 and older Turbo trans had 3 direct, and 4 forward clutches, TBI's had 3 / 3 on all years. This is based on the *many* rebuilds I've done. I'm sure there are flukes out there though, and not including Neons, they all have 4 / 4 ...........