PDA

View Full Version : is the stock 1999 2.4L a interference motor?

1BADVAN
11-19-2010, 02:58 PM
is the stock 1999 2.4L a interference motor? This would be out of a Stratus,
There is one locally for cheap that broke the timing belt and i was wondering if i could just replace the belt?

Thanks!

Juggy
11-19-2010, 03:17 PM
interference is from valve to valve only
valve to piston is fine

1BADVAN
11-19-2010, 03:30 PM
so what you are saying is the exh. valves could hit the intake valves right? do you know if it usually does or damages them or just a 50/50 thing?

turbovanmanČ
11-19-2010, 03:43 PM
Valve to valve so yes, intake to exhaust.

Its a crap shoot, sometimes you win, sometimes you pay. If you can get it cheap, its worth a shot.

rbryant
11-19-2010, 04:45 PM
On the 2.4l:

Unless both cams are turning independently there won't be any damage with stock sized valves and stock lift.

If only one cam turns and the other is disconnected there is no interference.

This is because when they are not connected to a belt the valves are pushed by the springs into a position where none of them are fully extended. When not fully open they can't hit the other valves that are turning.

They only interfere when both cams have the corresponding intake/exhaust valve pair fully extended at the same time.

This can be observed when you change the timing belt and trying to align timing marks. The cams don't stay where you put them unless connected to the belt.

I discovered this because I was worried that I might have turned the intake cam 360 degrees without moving the exhaust cam when changing a timing belt... Even though I never felt anything hit I was worried so I looked into it. Luckily it was not a problem.

-Rich

inplansight
11-19-2010, 08:14 PM
I have seen maybe 45-50 broken/slipped T belts on the 2.4 and can only recall two that had bent valves.

I would just put a new belt, tensioner and water pump and let it eat.

Paul B

1BADVAN
11-19-2010, 08:34 PM
Thanks guys