PDA

View Full Version : 2.2T into '91 3.3 mini???

Anonymous_User
06-26-2006, 08:25 AM
I've been thinking of putting my work van out to pasture. It's a 3.3L '91 Caravan. The transmission is starting to slip on cold startups. It's not so bad now that its summer, but I didn't think it would make it through the winter. It's a shame, though, the van is SOLID underneath with a little quarter panel rot - nothing to fixin' that, though. I've replaced the struts, shocks, ball joints, brakes all around, new tires, etc. etc.

So I gets to thinkin - why not transplant a 2.2 into it, convert the wiring, and drop in a 5 speed?

So, in a nutshell, how much of a headache would this be? What wiring harness would most likely work? '91 I presume? SBEC, right? Underdash wiring be OK? Fuel pump wiring?

If it's just a matter of changing out the underhood wiring, adding some sensors, R & R the engine/tranny, install the hardware for the 5-speed conversion - it wouldn't be too much of a hassle.

Am I missing anything important?

daytonaturbo87
06-26-2006, 07:11 PM
I know at least a couple people over on TD have done it, maybe they are on here and can chime in. Any 88+ turbo harness can be made to work with some chopping. I can't remember if you'll need minivan motor mounts for a 2.2 or if yours will work. Also you should check into what to run for CV shafts, whether your current ones will fit or not.

turbovanmanČ
06-26-2006, 08:09 PM
Get a complete turbo powertrain and drop it in. Use the Turbo mounts and brackets. Use your existing axle shafts. The fuel pump you have is already a turbo pump so your set. Wiring is a PITA but Big P has done it and knows someone who can make a conversion harness.

Anonymous_User
06-26-2006, 09:57 PM
Are the van mounts different than say a G-body mount?

The wiring is a PITA - why? Is the bulkhead pinout different?

turbovanmanČ
06-27-2006, 12:50 AM
Are the van mounts different than say a G-body mount?

The wiring is a PITA - why? Is the bulkhead pinout different?

The right side and tranny mounts are the same. The front mount is van specific for the bracket and how it mounts.

Wiring is different for 91 and up, 2nd Gen, the dash wiring is all integrated with the engine harness. Total PITA.

Anonymous_User
06-27-2006, 07:34 AM
Wiring is different for 91 and up, 2nd Gen, the dash wiring is all integrated with the engine harness. Total PITA.

And thus ends the thought. Although overall its a decent van, it will remain my work vehicle until the tranny moves no more.

BIG PSI
06-27-2006, 10:03 AM
And thus ends the thought. Although overall its a decent van, it will remain my work vehicle until the tranny moves no more.

Is the trans a 3-speed or the 4-speed one ?
Once the trans goes out why not just get it rebuilt ?

Chuck

daytonaturbo87
06-27-2006, 06:37 PM
Why does that have to end the dream? Nothing saying you can't transplant the engine harness and dash harness out of a donor turbo car into your van. Chop the connectors off your van harness and splice them in for the interior accessories, no reason it couldn't be made to work. Worst case scenario you'd have to use a gauge cluster from an older minivan. Or easier yet, swap everything out of a turbo minivan, should not be hard considering your van is a 91.

turbovanmanČ
06-27-2006, 07:08 PM
Why does that have to end the dream? Nothing saying you can't transplant the engine harness and dash harness out of a donor turbo car into your van. Chop the connectors off your van harness and splice them in for the interior accessories, no reason it couldn't be made to work. Worst case scenario you'd have to use a gauge cluster from an older minivan. Or easier yet, swap everything out of a turbo minivan, should not be hard considering your van is a 91.

I have mentioned already that someone makes harness conversions.

If your suggesting using the entire dash out of a 1st Gen, won't work, completely different.

Anonymous_User
06-27-2006, 09:16 PM
It was a passing thought that I had. If the wiring wasn't too much hassle, I would tackle it. The reality is, though - I have a 10 sec V8 street/strip car and the Turbo Z project. I could not budget much more cash for a third project. I spend $$$$ the way it is on the auto hobby.

I couldn't afford the space to begin re-doing the whole van. The downtime involved would require me to purchase another work vehicle.

Storage is also an issue. The Z is in my garage. The van and the wife's van sit outside. The Ford is in the shop (a few miles from my residence). In a few months, the oldest turns 16 and wants her own neon.

Now, if I were to decide to find a replacement work vehicle - maybe one that could utilize my existing new parts - suspensions, tires, etc. - and one that may in the future be deserving of a turbo swap - what year van would I be best to look for?

turbovanmanČ
06-27-2006, 10:37 PM
Now, if I were to decide to find a replacement work vehicle - maybe one that could utilize my existing new parts - suspensions, tires, etc. - and one that may in the future be deserving of a turbo swap - what year van would I be best to look for?

If you want a turbo minivan, 89-90 are your easiest options as both came factory turboed.

Anonymous_User
06-28-2006, 07:34 AM
Hey, check this out -

I mentioned this thought in passing to a co-worker. He tells me he has a '90 mini, V6, auto, with a bad motor. I haven't looked at it yet, but...

He's willing to install new on his van: struts, shocks, ball joints, tie rods, and trade me - I keep my Wagons with new tires, he keeps his tranny.

He says the van is in similar condition to mine - the undercarriage is clean, floorboards solid, and... no power anything. (well, steering of course).

So, back to square one if this works out - I need a list of items to acquire:

1. good running longblock (any year just to get going)
2. wiring harness - what year? '88 up? SMEC? SBEC? What would be easiest to install? Would it be plug and play? Easiest to socket?
3. Front van motor mount (or fab one)
4. 5-speed tranny - will a 523 live?
5. Shifter, cables, pedal assembly. (anything else)

The goals would be:

Quick, not fast, but quicker than expected.
Fun - blow off valve between gears in a mini? sounds fun.
Economy. Gotta get decent mileage in a 5 speed mini with a lean tune on the chip and low boost, right?

turbovanmanČ
06-28-2006, 02:39 PM
Hey, check this out -

I mentioned this thought in passing to a co-worker. He tells me he has a '90 mini, V6, auto, with a bad motor. I haven't looked at it yet, but...

He's willing to install new on his van: struts, shocks, ball joints, tie rods, and trade me - I keep my Wagons with new tires, he keeps his tranny.

He says the van is in similar condition to mine - the undercarriage is clean, floorboards solid, and... no power anything. (well, steering of course).

So, back to square one if this works out - I need a list of items to acquire:

1. good running longblock (any year just to get going)
2. wiring harness - what year? '88 up? SMEC? SBEC? What would be easiest to install? Would it be plug and play? Easiest to socket?
3. Front van motor mount (or fab one)
4. 5-speed tranny - will a 523 live?
5. Shifter, cables, pedal assembly. (anything else)

The goals would be:

Quick, not fast, but quicker than expected.
Fun - blow off valve between gears in a mini? sounds fun.
Economy. Gotta get decent mileage in a 5 speed mini with a lean tune on the chip and low boost, right?

Get a turbo powertrain and bolt it in. Grab a 89 or 90 wiring harness and matching computer from a Turbo Minivan-Plug and play.
Find a donor 5spd mini and grab the clutch pedals etc.
I have a mount/bracket I can sell you, :thumb: