PDA

View Full Version : Cheap cam gears?

ShadowFromHell
11-18-2010, 01:48 PM
Soo.... What are the cheap options for cam gears? I swear I saw a post the other day about a guy using some re-keyed maxima cam gears, any info on that? What are the other options? Ive seen the FWDP gears, but last time I looked they were around $500?

glhs727
11-18-2010, 01:56 PM
uummm.... our cam gears are only $269 for the pair....

ShadowFromHell
11-18-2010, 02:31 PM
Thats not to bad acutually. Either I was reading some wrong, or maybe the price was higher when the first came out? The BSX has made me look into a hybrid motor... lol

turbovanmanČ
11-18-2010, 06:13 PM
Thats not to bad acutually. Either I was reading some wrong, or maybe the price was higher when the first came out? The BSX has made me look into a hybrid motor... lol

16 valves rule, :nod: :partywoot:

Directconnection
11-18-2010, 07:18 PM
16 valves rule, :nod: :partywoot:

Actually... 2 valvers rule... as in a real Hemi!

turbovanmanČ
11-18-2010, 10:05 PM
Actually... 2 valvers rule... as in a real Hemi!

BAH! :p

R/T
11-24-2010, 09:58 AM
Cheapest are stockers with spacers, that's what I did.

wallace
11-24-2010, 10:10 AM
Cheapest are stockers with spacers, that's what I did.

Stock 8v?

R/T
11-24-2010, 10:15 AM
Stock 8v?

Yep, found a brass spacer in McMaster-Carr's catalog with the correct I.D. to fit over the cam, then some work on the O.D. to fit insde the sprocket.

Here's a bigger pic...

ShadowFromHell
11-24-2010, 01:46 PM
Have you run this yet? I think you could probaly make them out of steel too if you had access to a lathe? My bro in law has one, seems like a good project for him! With these homemade cam gears, is there anything else you had to do? Or with these does everything else bolt up?

Pat
11-24-2010, 02:05 PM
Yep, found a brass spacer in McMaster-Carr's catalog with the correct I.D. to fit over the cam, then some work on the O.D. to fit insde the sprocket.

Here's a bigger pic...

Got a p/n? We have most of what could be a hybrid motor for a GRM build. Cam gears were the next thing to figure out.

turbovanmanČ
11-24-2010, 08:15 PM

Here's a bigger pic...

That's pretty cool, :nod:

The only downside is you can't degree them, or maybe they aren't quite straight up!

R/T
11-27-2010, 04:52 PM
Have you run this yet? I think you could probaly make them out of steel too if you had access to a lathe? My bro in law has one, seems like a good project for him! With these homemade cam gears, is there anything else you had to do? Or with these does everything else bolt up?

Steel would be even better, only other work needed other than the ID/OD work is a "notch" on the spacer to clear the locating pin on the cam.

The pin on the cam fits into the stock keyway cut in the cam sprocket for driving the assembly.

If you have the parts in front of you - cam and sprocket - it's all easy to figure out.

Has not run yet, but rotates on the engine stand with a rachet on the crank.... :p

R/T
11-27-2010, 04:55 PM
That's pretty cool, :nod:

The only downside is you can't degree them, or maybe they aren't quite straight up!

Naa, not straight up - just for position right now.

Step one was cam sprockets that work, adjustables down the road.... :thumb:

R/T
11-27-2010, 04:58 PM
Got a p/n? We have most of what could be a hybrid motor for a GRM build. Cam gears were the next thing to figure out.

Sorry Pat - Been a while since I ordered them, no PN here - mic the OD of the cam, then go shopping at McM/C for the same ID in their bushing/bearing department.... :thumb:

Pat
11-27-2010, 05:00 PM
Sorry Pat - Been a while since I ordered them, no PN here - mic the OD of the cam, then go shopping at McM/C for the same ID in their bushing/bearing department.... :thumb:

Will do...thought I"d check though!

Thanks.

wallace
11-28-2010, 08:25 AM
So does that mean that the adjustable cam gears for the SOHC head will work with modifications as well?

R/T
11-28-2010, 11:02 AM
So does that mean that the adjustable cam gears for the SOHC head will work with modifications as well?

Hmmm.... :confused2:

Not sure - my stock sprockets are turned around "backwards"- dished side in - like factory on the intermediate shaft -to line up the timing belt with the crank and int. shaft.

bakes
11-28-2010, 02:29 PM
I haven't tryied it because i haven't the parts but but what about swapping out the crank gear (adaptor mabe req.) for a 2.0-2.4l grear drive and then use the cam /dist. mod. ????