PDA

View Full Version : How-To: Automatic transmission flush. The shade tree mechanic way.

Bardo
11-18-2010, 04:22 AM
I got this from another forum, let me know what you think

1.) Remove your trans cooler lines from the transmission cooler, not the transmission.

2.) Place 2 five gallon paint buckets in front of the vehicle.

3.) Extend cooler lines approx 3 feet each.

4.) Place the end of the output transmission cooler line into one bucket.

5.) Place the end of the input transmission cooler line into the other bucket.

6.) Fill the input bucket with transmission fluid.

7.) Start the vehicle and put the transmission in 1st (Use jack stands for safety reasons).

8.) Remove the input transmission cooler line from the bucket when the bucket loses approx 3 quarts of fluid.

9.) Keep the car running in 1st.

10.) Wait until the output transmission cooler line starts sputtering.

11.) Turn off vehicle.

12.) Use compressed air to remove fluid from transmission cooler.

13.) Reinstall both transmission cooler lines.

14.) Drop the transmission pan.

15.) Change the filter with a new one. Make sure the O-ring is in place on the new filter.

16.) Properly clean the old fluid and shavings from the transmission pan.

17.) Reinstall the transmission pan using a new gasket.

18.) Fill transmission with appropriate amount of fluid using ATF.

19.) Run vehicle slowly through all gears while the car is still sitting in one spot (Do not drive the car).

20.) Top off fluid using ATF.

Please comment if I left anything out or if there is a better/easier way to do this.

inplansight
11-18-2010, 10:30 AM
Should work just don't let the trans run out of fluid and wear safety glass in the event one of the lines goes wild.

chryguy
11-18-2010, 11:03 AM
Howdy,

In my experience there is no suction on the input line. Normally the fluid returns to the trans because it is pumped out of the trans under some pressure, thru the cooler and pushed back into the trans.

I disconnect the input line at the trans and run that into a catch bucket so that as I run fluid through the system it also runs it thru the cooler.

Then I run the engine until the afore mentioned "sputter", and refill at the trans dipstick tube. I repeat (rinse and repeat) until either it runs cleaner, or I feel I've replaced all the fluid in the trans and convertor (several gallons will usually do it).

I DO put a piece of line on the input port and put that into a small container of clean fluid, but in my experience I have never had to refill that container.

Hope that helps, :thumb:

CG

turbovanmanČ
11-20-2010, 05:53 PM
I would add to use a friend, too much shitt can go wrong doing it by yourself.

RoadWarrior222
11-22-2010, 11:16 AM
Howdy,

In my experience there is no suction on the input line. Normally the fluid returns to the trans because it is pumped out of the trans under some pressure, thru the cooler and pushed back into the trans.

Yup, I'm thinking it just dribbles back into the pan from the cooler.

chryguy
11-22-2010, 05:40 PM
Well,

Actually it shoots outta' there like an open garden hose. Easy two or three ft.:nod:

Ahem...don't ask me how I know.:eyebrows:

CG

RoadWarrior222
11-22-2010, 05:43 PM
Ooops, that'll kill the weeds*...

(*Don't ask me how I know that either)

chryguy
11-22-2010, 05:57 PM
Ah yup...

I'm wit cha' on that one.:thumb:

The parts of my yard that don't resemble a junk yard...look like scorched earth.:rolleyes:

CG