PDA

View Full Version : 2.5 non turbo head gasket ?'s

marcar1993
11-18-2010, 12:11 AM
I had the thermo switch for my fan crap out on me and my car (a 91 acclaim, 2.5 non turbo) ran quite hot but didn't overheat. Fixed that issue and had air in the coolant. Finally got that bled out, and now it has come back, also it is using coolant. I think when it got hot it popped the head gasket. Am I right in my thinking, or could something else be wrong? I can't smell coolant in the exhaust, but it also doesn't go through much, however it also doesn't leave even a drop on the ground.

Now I've never done really anything on anything like this, fwd and fuel injection is new to me however I did succeed at my timing belt job on this car after it popped. Reading on allpar, there is a "right way" and a quick way to do this job. Any suggestions, comments, or otherwise before I make an attempt at the job?

Thanks guys.
-Martin

135sohc
11-18-2010, 12:43 AM
The coolant can be burning off at a slow enough rate that it wont stink up the exhaust. What do the plugs look like ? and if the oxygen sensor is frosted up like a cake than its done. Any increase in the fuel consumption ?

Right way to replace the HG would be to remove the head completely, check it for warping and cracking using a straight edge and feeler gauges. Use a maroon scotchbrite pad to scrub the deck surface and cylinder head prior to putting a new gasket on it.
The quickie or slip n slide method is not recommended...

The mopar performance headgasket p/n P4452005 is fine to use. Reusing the headbolts is not recommended, felpro makes a set for $20 and works just fine.
These engines are like tinkertoys and hard to really screw up unless your trying to. If you did a timing belt then the HG should be a cakewalk.

mr glenn
11-18-2010, 07:21 PM
changing my head this weekend on my 2.5 tbi 92 shadow valve is warped got a nice head from the pick n pull ported it and gasket matched everything about the hardest thing for me is making a fixture to hold the timing belt out of the way and the two spring bolts for the manifold

turbovanmanČ
11-18-2010, 10:04 PM
Do it properly, so take the head off, have it checked and machined flat.

You'll need a valve cover gasket, intake/exhaust gasket, cam seal, cam plug, recommend changing the crank seal if you haven't and the waterpump.

You take the head off with the intake/ex mani attached, then strip it down, you don't even need to touch the power steering, :nod: