PDA

View Full Version : I bought a RAMBLER !!

BIGBRUDDA
11-15-2010, 12:29 AM
A Holiday Rambler! 1987 HR Imperial 33 motorhome.:eyebrows:
The coach is in real good shape. Only 33k miles.
But its powered by a chebby 454/auto trans.A california smog 454. Complete with the smog pump,and sealed Quadra-junk carb.:banghead:
Sooooo, what can I do to improve on the 7mpg fuel efficiency?
Aside from the $3000 Holley EFI conversion.:confused:
It's been 35 yrs since I fooled wit a big block Chebby. What da latest?
The thing revs 3200 rpm@ 60 mph!

shackwrrr
11-15-2010, 01:23 AM
that "quadra-junk" is the best for fuel economy. Once they are working right they can run the best for mileage.

Johnny
11-15-2010, 02:26 AM
Cummins conversion?
:)

RoadWarrior222
11-15-2010, 11:19 AM
Hmmmm check this was done... http://www.allworldauto.com/recalls/NHTSA_90V186000_1987_HOLIDAY_RAMBLER_IMPERIAL_reca ll_1078.html

They were also apparently available with a Caterpillar V8 diesel, so don't know if that's the "easy" conversion, or whether that was a different chassis.

Convert to diesel may get you up to 10-11 mpg,
Remove all the roof mounted crap, or make it retractable or something +1mpg
Wrap a conveyor belt around the front bumper for an airdam +1mpg
Add vortex control devices around the back end +1mpg (And less tossing around in crosswinds or when passed by semis)
Inflate tires to maximum sidewall pressure and set alignment as neutral as possible +1mpg.

Tuned up the current motor might get 8 mpg, another gasser like an LS1 might do as good as 9mpg.

Driving habits, pretend the motor is an on off thruster, give it blasts at RPM = 90% of torque peak, pretend the brakes don't work, give it just enough "thrust" to make it to the next intersection.

vipernbox
11-15-2010, 12:25 PM
http://www.gearvendors.com/

I have one of these units in my 1983 Ford 24 ft NuWay Chassis.. I love it...

Mine is running a 460 ford, and a C6 tranny with 6 forward gears... I can get almost 10+ mpg
in the right situations.. most of the time 8-9mpg...

The Gear vendors unit is basically a two speed transmission that bolts on behind the regular tranny... and with its snazzy control with shift through 'six' forward gears automatically.. Or you can shift it manually with a foot switch...

I LOVE IT...

BIGBRUDDA
11-15-2010, 12:55 PM
Thanks Roadwarrior, I'll check into that recall.:clap:
Very cool Vipernbox!
I'd love to Johnny, When can ya schedule me for that?:eyebrows:
Anyone deleted the smog pump?

ShadowFromHell
11-15-2010, 01:41 PM
I would look into swapping it to GM tbi if it was mine. Ive heard it is rather cheap to do. Should all bolt together also :)

Johnny
11-15-2010, 02:01 PM
People talk about changing to fuel injection.
I have had carb Ramchargers and a TBI Ramcharger and never found TBI to be better on fuel mileage than a carb. If carbs are set right, they are just as good.

RoadWarrior222
11-15-2010, 02:03 PM
Anyone deleted the smog pump?

If you have to run a cat, don't, it'll only be a 2 way cat and needs the air for regeneration. In other words it will clog up.

If the cat is gone, use it to pull crank case vacuum.