PDA

View Full Version : My 69 Corvette 427bb

yogurt_slinger
11-14-2010, 12:41 PM
I've been looking for a big block C3 vette for a while now, and I finally picked one up... I'm in love..:love: Nothing like a big block.
Options are, PS, PB, PW, 390hp/427bb, auto (th400) and its got sidepipes on it too.:clap:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270651323644&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Heres a pic

Lemme know what you guys think of her.

Directconnection
11-14-2010, 12:45 PM
Sorry to see you have no TM game, but being that I work with lots of BB Chevy stuff these days, I can understand the attraction. That should be a high dollar collector car right there if it's the original drivetrain.

yogurt_slinger
11-14-2010, 01:06 PM
I still have my R/T but, I'm waiting for Jackson to finish it, he's a busy man. I love the Spirit but, theres nothing like the sound of a big block.
It does have a corvette 427 but not the matching 427 which doesn't bother me. I'm not a purist, I'm more of the *restomod* type. So, it may be getting a cam, EFI(pro jection III), and heads in the future.

glhs727
11-14-2010, 01:12 PM
sweet car, and I love the color!!

blk86trbo
11-14-2010, 01:32 PM
Hey Bryan, great looking car, love the color and the pipes! I know what you mean about the sound... one day many years ago, I put a maroon 69 with manual trans through the gears HARD running from the county cops :nod:

Congrats and post some "actions" pictures when you can

BadAssPerformance
11-14-2010, 01:48 PM
Nice Vette Bryan!

j4278h
11-14-2010, 08:27 PM
its SLLOOOWWWWW, when I left last night I had to goose the tow ram to remember what real v8 powa feels like.

So did you sleep in it last night?

2.216VTurbo
11-15-2010, 12:15 AM
Nice:eyebrows: Brave man going $22K on a car you've never seen before:eek:

j4278h
11-15-2010, 12:26 AM

we saw it, drove it, scared me half to death, and bryan had to rub one out before he signed his life away.

black86glhs
11-15-2010, 12:33 AM
So, Bryan, when you coming down and taking me for a ride?

Seriously, nice set of wheels. I have always wanted a 67 427/4 spd myself.:thumb::hail:

yogurt_slinger
11-15-2010, 12:35 AM

Not the first time I've bought a car without seeing it in person but it is the most expensive for sure.. The seller was pretty upfront and had a good rep. He sells quite a few vettes most of which I've been following on ebay the last few months so, I was pretty confidant in it. Of course I picked it up myself just to be sure though.

HAHAHA!! yeah its slow alright;) just wait until I do a few things to it, then it'll be REALLY slow:D

yogurt_slinger
11-15-2010, 12:47 AM
So, Bryan, when you coming down and taking me for a ride?
Seriously, nice set of wheels. I have always wanted a 67 427/spd myself.:thumb::hail:

Come on over! I'm already thinking of getting another one...hehe (don't tell the wife) maybe a 327 4-speed convert.....black:evil: Thats not until I get this one where I want it.

Thanks for the koodos

Thanks
Bryan

Tony Fields
11-15-2010, 01:01 AM
Great looking Vette Bryan!

Beautiful color. I had a Silver '69 Roadster with both tops several
years ago. Loved it.

RoadWarrior222
11-15-2010, 12:21 PM
I wouldn't kick it out of my driveway....

C2s and C3s melike, all the other chevy parts bin specials, not so much.

contraption22
11-15-2010, 02:20 PM
I wouldn't kick it out of my driveway....

C2s and C3s melike, all the other chevy parts bin specials, not so much.

Parts bin specials? Huh?

contraption22
11-15-2010, 02:21 PM
Beautiful car. The C3 vettes took a while to grow on me. Not sure why. Still not a fan of the later soft-bumper cars.

mcsvt
11-15-2010, 03:35 PM
Great looking car! My dad had a late C3 when I was growing up, I've always wanted to get one.

yogurt_slinger
11-16-2010, 10:34 PM
Beautiful car. The C3 vettes took a while to grow on me. Not sure why. Still not a fan of the later soft-bumper cars.

Yah know.... I was the same way. I originally wanted a 62-65 nova or 64 mailbu but, in the last 8 months, the vettes grew on me. But only the chrome bumper cars. theres just something sexy about the bumper C3s. Wife wanted a 05-newer but, to me any yuppy with $35K can get a new one. A person with some class has an older one, one that retains or increases in value. You want *refined*, get a new one.. you want a LOUD, HARSH, MONSTER, get an old bigblock car :nod: LOVE IT.

I bet the radios in the new vettes sound awesome. My radio doesn't work in mine, I wouldn't be able to hear it over the side-piped big block anyways :D which is just fine with me:eyebrows:

contraption22
11-17-2010, 12:46 PM
Yah know.... I was the same way. I originally wanted a 62-65 nova or 64 mailbu but, in the last 8 months, the vettes grew on me. But only the chrome bumper cars. theres just something sexy about the bumper C3s. Wife wanted a 05-newer but, to me any yuppy with $35K can get a new one. A person with some class has an older one, one that retains or increases in value. You want *refined*, get a new one.. you want a LOUD, HARSH, MONSTER, get an old bigblock car :nod: LOVE IT.

I bet the radios in the new vettes sound awesome. My radio doesn't work in mine, I wouldn't be able to hear it over the side-piped big block anyways :D which is just fine with me:eyebrows:

Hehe. Screw a stereo. A free-breathing big-block IS music. :)

Vigo
11-17-2010, 02:38 PM
Looks like a nice car. I always liked the way C3s look but after crawling over them and sitting in them i decided i dont like them for myself. Takes all kinds, though, and im glad somebody out there is keeping them nice like that. :)

ForzaV12
11-17-2010, 08:59 PM
Can't go wrong with a BB Corvette. Nice car.

yogurt_slinger
11-18-2010, 09:08 PM
Thanks!

I gotta change out the power valve in the carb this weekend, so hopefully I can squeeze in some more cruising before the snow hits. :clap:

R/T
11-19-2010, 12:56 PM
Only REAL Vette is a Big Block..... :clap:

I saw a 67 427 convert last week, maroon with redlines and knock offs. :nod:

contraption22
11-19-2010, 01:39 PM
And the only thing better than a big block Vette, is an aluminum big block vette.

http://corvettes-musclecars.com/gallery2/v/al_corvette/1969+Corvette+ZL-1+427-430HP/

http://www.corvettefever.com/featuredvehicles/corp_0506_1967_chevy_427_corvette_stingray/index.html

ForzaV12
11-20-2010, 12:15 AM
Only REAL Vette is a Big Block..... :clap:

I saw a 67 427 convert last week, maroon with redlines and knock offs. :nod:

BB Vettes are very cool. Having owned a few of them, my current vintage Corvette is the high hp small block. Better balanced, better handling, braking and best of all-no over heating. So, for me, real Vettes are both big and small blocks:D

The ZL1 on the other hand....yes, please!

yogurt_slinger
11-21-2010, 04:24 PM
NICE.

Yeah the new aluminum 427 is a little bit pricey. Almost as much as I paid for the car.. I think I'll just work with this motor for now:nod:

j4278h
11-21-2010, 04:46 PM
NICE.

Yeah the new aluminum 427 is a little bit pricey. Almost as much as I paid for the car.. I think I'll just work with this motor for now:nod:

Is it running better? I want to go for another ride before we have to put the snow tires and chains on it.

Austrian Dodge
11-22-2010, 05:17 AM
beautiful car!

contraption22
11-22-2010, 12:13 PM
NICE.

Hey if you're not worried about matching numbers and want an aluminum block, I would drop in an LSX motor :). An alumuinum big block is only as light as an iron small block. An aluminum LS motor is much lighter than that! And it would take nothing at all for an LS to match the power of your aluminum BB! Plus I saw some really cool looking coil covers for an LS that make it look like a BBC! They may have been custom made tho.

jackerman
11-22-2010, 02:06 PM
really nice piece. i bet its fun and gets heads turning

yogurt_slinger
11-22-2010, 08:56 PM
Hey if you're not worried about matching numbers and want an aluminum block, I would drop in an LSX motor :). An alumuinum big block is only as light as an iron small block. An aluminum LS motor is much lighter than that! And it would take nothing at all for an LS to match the power of your aluminum BB! Plus I saw some really cool looking coil covers for an LS that make it look like a BBC! They may have been custom made tho.

Oh trust me, one of the first things I thought of was the LSX, but... I am on a limited budget now... This thing is fast enough as it is for right now, I already pitched it sideways, almost into the neighbor around the block, yard.:yuck: I wasn't even trying to kick the --- end out..:D

54inches
11-22-2010, 09:30 PM
I love it! We've got a 74, not the most popular, but at least it does not have bumperettes. lol

Only a 450hp small block though.

black86glhs
11-23-2010, 12:20 AM
Just think what a nice set of AL heads from trick flow and a Fast EFI setup would do for it. Hmmmmmmmmm.

contraption22
11-23-2010, 12:10 PM
LS motor disguised as a bigblock :)

yogurt_slinger
11-23-2010, 07:01 PM
Just think what a nice set of AL heads from trick flow and a Fast EFI setup would do for it. Hmmmmmmmmm.
Thats exactly what I was thinking except instead of fast efi, I'm gonna use Professional Products Powerjection III. Cheaper and simpler.:eyebrows:

J&H Ryan
11-24-2010, 12:06 AM
Awesome color. My dad has a '79 which at this rate with his health will be mine soon and it will be re-shot in that blue. It is an ugly rubber bumper car. I wish someone would replicate that flat rear end in 'glass for the 73?-82 cars.

RoadWarrior222
11-24-2010, 01:12 AM
I thought all C3s needed a supercharger the size of a propane tank fed by throttle bodies the size of soup plates in an intake the size of a garbage can....

Well I've seen a couple that were insane but cool, and others that were just insane.

black86glhs
11-24-2010, 01:08 PM
Thats exactly what I was thinking except instead of fast efi, I'm gonna use Professional Products Powerjection III. Cheaper and simpler.:eyebrows:

I'm all for the simpler way.:clap::clap:

Directconnection
11-24-2010, 01:53 PM

No LS engine can make the power of a real BB Chevy. Sooo much R&D and parts available it would be better to stay 427. Want aluminum... get a ZL-1 :D

Besides, did you know an aluminum block you LOSE hp? 40hp in high hp situations. On our dyno, we did an aluminum engine not too long ago, and once you made just ONE pull, the valve lash is way off (.011") and the ignition was retarded 3 degrees I overheard the dyno operators telling a customer just today. Everything distorts and settles...

I'd still love to have an aluminum block.....

BTW Yogurt: a big time muscle car collector was looking over my shoulder last week at work when I was viewing your thread and said you need to toss out those rear fiberglass springs. In typical fashion, those are making the azz end jacked up too high... they almost never settle to the proper ride height. Might be a reason then car is a bit scary to ride in if the rear is always fighting for traction.

But keep the 427:D

*EDIT* I wrote 3 degrees cam timing when I meant ignition. The block grows and the helix rides differently effecting *ignition* timing. I'm sure cam timing is effected, but probably so miniscule of an issue...

54inches
11-24-2010, 10:42 PM
No LS engine can make the power of a real BB Chevy. Sooo much R&D and parts available it would be better to stay 427.
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
muahahahahahaha...you're kidding right...hahahahah!!!!!

Directconnection
11-24-2010, 11:52 PM
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
muahahahahahaha...you're kidding right...hahahahah!!!!!

Show me any LS engine running 5s in the 1/4 and I'll jump on the bandwagon.

It's like saying the new hemi is far superior over the old 426. Even though it has more modern technology in it, it hasn't proven itself to be superior.

I see so many 700 to 1,200hp BBC's at work. And if you really wanted to, you could build a 650hp BBC for FAR less than an LS series engine. We are talking naturally aspirated at this point (and even supercharged)

We currently build a NASCAR Spec crate engine that is an LS2 (actually finished work on one today matter of fact) and I think it's an awesome motor. 630hp out of the box with every part bar-coded. But it's a $20,000+ motor....

Do a search on here under "nascar crate engine" and my thread with pix may pop up from 3 years ago....

blk86trbo
11-25-2010, 02:29 AM
I thought all C3s needed a supercharger the size of a propane tank fed by throttle bodies the size of soup plates in an intake the size of a garbage can....

You must be talking about a supercharger like this LOL

http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/6411/camaro1hn0.jpg

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/giant-supercharger-108596.html

Here's a video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0qeYd5gcnQ&mode=related&search=

RoadWarrior222
11-25-2010, 10:58 AM
Heh, or this...

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3097/2575999727_73633c34f6_m.jpg

yogurt_slinger
11-25-2010, 01:51 PM
BTW Yogurt: a big time muscle car collector was looking over my shoulder last week at work when I was viewing your thread and said you need to toss out those rear fiberglass springs. In typical fashion, those are making the azz end jacked up too high... they almost never settle to the proper ride height. Might be a reason then car is a bit scary to ride in if the rear is always fighting for traction.

But keep the 427:D

*EDIT* I wrote 3 degrees cam timing when I meant ignition. The block grows and the helix rides differently effecting *ignition* timing. I'm sure cam timing is effected, but probably so miniscule of an issue...

Yeah, I'm staying with the big block it has for a while. Prob just do a couple small things like cam, intake, efi.

On the rear fiber springs, its not the spring that was the problem, its the short bolts that are on the ends of the spring.. That has already been rectified with slightly longer bolts. So now she sits level. :thumb:

yogurt_slinger
11-25-2010, 02:01 PM

It's like saying the new hemi is far superior over the old 426. Even though it has more modern technology in it, it hasn't proven itself to be superior.

I see so many 700 to 1,200hp BBC's at work. And if you really wanted to, you could build a 650hp BBC for FAR less than an LS series engine. We are talking naturally aspirated at this point (and even supercharged)

We currently build a NASCAR Spec crate engine that is an LS2 (actually finished work on one today matter of fact) and I think it's an awesome motor. 630hp out of the box with every part bar-coded. But it's a $20,000+ motor....

Do a search on here under "nascar crate engine" and my thread with pix may pop up from 3 years ago....

Yeah, not looking to spend 20K on a motor.... This is where I will be getting a motor from when I have the funds availible..........
http://www.vortecproperformance.com/index.html

I've heard good reviews about his motors on the vette forums.

RoadWarrior222
11-25-2010, 02:37 PM
Just try not to mention it's for a 'vette or they might charge double :rolleyes:

54inches
11-28-2010, 10:24 AM

You need to look around a tad more. 900+ hp NAQ LSX's are prevalent(been around for years matter of fact). LSX454, 1500hp sound familiar? It's out there. (But so are BBCs too)

Not a bandwagon at all, just a great engine, one of the best domestic ever made.

I love my BBC too. :D

NASCAR spec; that's great. 630 hp, not so much.

MY point, there are ALOT of LSX haters out there; just making sure you weren't one of them. :D

Directconnection
11-28-2010, 11:47 AM
NASCAR spec; that's great. 630 hp, not so much.

Try having one of those 900hp LSXs go roundy round all season long w/out a rebuild and see how many laps it will take:thumb:

54inches
11-28-2010, 09:21 PM
I got the car, you supply the engine.

Directconnection
11-28-2010, 09:24 PM
I got the car, you supply the engine.

Plunk down a $10k deposit and we'll surely help you fill your fenderwells. 630+hp that'll last you eternity on the street or down the dragstrip :)

54inches
11-28-2010, 09:32 PM
Whatever sweetheart, again, you supply the engine and I will supply the vehicle. Move on.

Directconnection
11-28-2010, 09:36 PM
Whatever sweetheart

:love:

yogurt_slinger
11-28-2010, 11:37 PM
I love it when you guys pillow talk about *filling fender wells*. ;)

If my car wasn't a big block or if I lunch the motor, I would seriously consider an LS motor. Thats what I originally wanted but, I'm very glad I went bigblock. 600 hp? crap, I just want 500-550hp tops. Weekend cruiser is the main function of my car. 600+hp launches at the track with a fiberglass bodied car means lots of time at the bodyshop to fix all the stress cracks.......no thanks. (at least until I beef up the frame... ;))

Directconnection
11-28-2010, 11:45 PM
Yeah, the IRS setup isn't ideal for hard launches anywho.... not really intended to be a drag car.

500-550hp is easy to get out of a BBC, so you should be fine as long as you have a decent set of factory heads to begin with.

I was talking with our resident head shop guy at work (long time BBC builder/racer and mostly.... head porter) and we were talking about the cost of making a 620-650hp BB Chevy and a BB Mopar. As for the Chevy.... and after a lot of thought, he said he could build/assemble one for the $2,500-3,000 range. Mind you, this means all shop labor is free, so tack on another $800-1,500 there, as well.

Over the 650hp mark is just begging for aftermarket heads vs. ported stockers.

You see... about 15 years ago, our shop built a very stout 440 for a co-worker (office guy) for his '68 Dart. Car was pretty stout and ran 6.5s in the 1/8th (mid 10s 1/4) It made 620hp on our dyno, and ran a set of 452 stock cast heads (highly reworked with OS valves) mechanical cam (.600-.650ish lift) with decent valvetrain parts, single plane, stock rods (yikes) and stock forged crank with the bottom end using ARP studs and of course, forged pistons. Pretty good results for mostly stock parts.... and of course, the same can be had with the BBC even on less cam/compression as the heads are (hate saying this) more superior in overall flow than the 440's are.

So... 550 streetable HP is not far fetched with the 427 ;)

j4278h
11-29-2010, 12:08 AM
I think bryan would have a hard time handling 350hp don't go tossing 500hp numbers into his head.

Any more of that and I will be scraping my buddy off I-65 with a putty knife.

Directconnection
11-29-2010, 01:20 AM
I think bryan would have a hard time handling 350hp don't go tossing 500hp numbers into his head.

Any more of that and I will be scraping my buddy off I-65 with a putty knife.

I HATE Chevys.... but if that 427 isn't even making 350hp the way it sits, then something ain't right ;)

Oh... I get it! You guys too used to throttle bodies and the such and not getting into the secondaries yet... hehehe. Don't laugh, 1st time I drove a 4bbl 455 Pontiac I didn't know about the secondaries and the added spring tension you need to overcome to open up all 4... doh! I was tooling around in 2bbl mode.

j4278h
11-29-2010, 10:24 AM
I HATE Chevys.... but if that 427 isn't even making 350hp the way it sits, then something ain't right ;)

Oh... I get it! You guys too used to throttle bodies and the such and not getting into the secondaries yet... hehehe. Don't laugh, 1st time I drove a 4bbl 455 Pontiac I didn't know about the secondaries and the added spring tension you need to overcome to open up all 4... doh! I was tooling around in 2bbl mode.

well bryan is a "little" guy so I don't think he has enough aS$ to push the go pedal down far enough to open the secondaries.:D

54inches
11-29-2010, 03:42 PM
Yeah, the IRS setup isn't ideal for hard launches anywho.... not really intended to be a drag car.

500-550hp is easy to get out of a BBC, so you should be fine as long as you have a decent set of factory heads to begin with.

I was talking with our resident head shop guy at work (long time BBC builder/racer and mostly.... head porter) and we were talking about the cost of making a 620-650hp BB Chevy and a BB Mopar. As for the Chevy.... and after a lot of thought, he said he could build/assemble one for the $2,500-3,000 range. Mind you, this means all shop labor is free, so tack on another $800-1,500 there, as well.

Over the 650hp mark is just begging for aftermarket heads vs. ported stockers.

You see... about 15 years ago, our shop built a very stout 440 for a co-worker (office guy) for his '68 Dart. Car was pretty stout and ran 6.5s in the 1/8th (mid 10s 1/4) It made 620hp on our dyno, and ran a set of 452 stock cast heads (highly reworked with OS valves) mechanical cam (.600-.650ish lift) with decent valvetrain parts, single plane, stock rods (yikes) and stock forged crank with the bottom end using ARP studs and of course, forged pistons. Pretty good results for mostly stock parts.... and of course, the same can be had with the BBC even on less cam/compression as the heads are (hate saying this) more superior in overall flow than the 440's are.

So... 550 streetable HP is not far fetched with the 427 ;)

I totally agree. I have seen 450-500 REAL easy. I have a set of 049s just waiting to be worked over. 230 hp & 380 ftlbs stock. Headers on the 049 heads with my new Performer RPM intake and a nice carb, I should be see 350+.

With the cam, I can easily hit 400+. I want to hit 500 with stock short block, but I don't think I can or want to at this point. Maybe, but the heads may be the problem.

Been thinking a TT on top of all of these parts as well.

So as far as the topic goes, you have a nice platform and should be able to get some nice power regardless.

GM makes a nice cam for the 454s in their crate motor. You should check it out.