PDA

View Full Version : Jeep Grand Cherokee stalling problem

dodgeshadowchik
11-13-2010, 07:11 AM
Hey everyone!

My sister has this Jeep, which it becoming more and more my truck everyday due to its issues. long story...

anyways, she woke me up at 5:30am because on the way to work, it stalled out. It cranks but no fire. The fuel pump does kick on, but it's too dark right now to really look at anyhting under the hood, so just took her to work and pushed it to the side of the road.

It's a 1995 Grand with the 5.9L. It acts like the shadow did when the pick-up coil on the disturbuter when out, as it seems to be intermittent. However, I don't know when Chrysler went distubuter-less on these. I know the Jeeps usually got the "new" stuff first...

So if anyone has any insight on to maybe some known trouble spots with these trucks, that would be sweet! I'm going to go look at it when the sun comes up and see if it has a distrubutor or not. Check Engine light is not on, btw.

shadow88
11-13-2010, 09:45 AM
Crank sensors were pretty common as I remember. Mounted on the bell housing, that one. It should throw a code for it if that's the case. I think is kicks up code 11 still, not too sure though.

5sp. mini
11-13-2010, 09:51 AM
do you have a way to read codes? if so what are they if any?is it still not running or did it restart

Mopar318
11-13-2010, 10:06 AM
Hey everyone!

My sister has this Jeep, which it becoming more and more my truck everyday due to its issues. long story...

anyways, she woke me up at 5:30am because on the way to work, it stalled out. It cranks but no fire. The fuel pump does kick on, but it's too dark right now to really look at anyhting under the hood, so just took her to work and pushed it to the side of the road.

It's a 1995 Grand with the 5.9L. It acts like the shadow did when the pick-up coil on the disturbuter when out, as it seems to be intermittent. However, I don't know when Chrysler went distubuter-less on these. I know the Jeeps usually got the "new" stuff first...

So if anyone has any insight on to maybe some known trouble spots with these trucks, that would be sweet! I'm going to go look at it when the sun comes up and see if it has a distrubutor or not. Check Engine light is not on, btw.

Its gotta be the crank sensor. Located on the bell housing. Do not touch the distributer, the timing is controlled by the computer, and turning the distributer will only change the fuel sync.

Check for fuel, and spark. It should have fuel pressure if its the crank sensor, but no spark.

You can check the crank sensor by testing the voltage going to the ignition coil. If the crank sensor is bad there should be no voltage.

dodgeshadowchik
11-13-2010, 10:20 AM
Thank you!

I'm about to go check it out again, now that there's some light. So we'll see if it starts back up or not.

dodgeshadowchik
11-13-2010, 01:20 PM
Yep, it's definatly got a distrubutor (lol!).... and the thing started right up this time. So it's intermittent. I'm starting to believe its a crank sensor or maybe some bad wiring to it. However, wouldnt've this would set a code? The truck had no codes.... only "55" which is "end of codes/nocodes" I've laso heard the IAC motor on these are faulty, but I wouldn't think that would cause a no-start; i could see stalling, but I'd think it would restart then stall of that was the case.

anyways, thank you for the suggestions.. and information! I'm not really all that familar with how Jeeps run things; and have heard that the ignition system on these earlier Grands are kinda finicky.

JDAWG
11-13-2010, 01:24 PM
sell a tonof crank sensors for those things myself

glhs0426
11-13-2010, 01:27 PM
Intermittent with no codes, crank sensor. Being a 95 it will be a little bit of a challenge to get the bolts out due to the EGR tube running right over the top of the sensor. I think the internal hex is 7mm and the outside hex is 13mm.

strang3majik
11-14-2010, 11:35 AM
its a 5.2...not a 5.9L....they only put that in a grand cherokee in 98 :p

But...yes, crank sensor sounds to be the culprit. My 5.9l (same basic engine) ram did that. Pulled into a parking spot...went into store...came out, wouldn't start...tried till the battery died. Had it towed...got to the tow yard...started right up...but stalled out...wouldn't start again. replaced crank sensor...been fine ever since.

The IAC motors do go bad commonly, but, that will cause it not to idle or have a fluctuating or rough idle. You should be able to get it to start and feather the throttle to keep it running if thats the case.

And, these motors have a distributor with a hall effect sensor thing in them as well for the injectors...now, they don't go bad as often as the 2.2s...but...that could also be a possibility. But, they had dizzys till they quit using the 5.2/5.9.

Spr-T-23
11-14-2010, 12:11 PM
where are you at im MI, ive got a grand, done alot of work to it. id be more than happy to help you out. i have an obd2 scanner, i think yours is an obd1 though, you would have to look.

BadAssPerformance
11-14-2010, 01:52 PM
Intermittent with no codes, crank sensor. Being a 95 it will be a little bit of a challenge to get the bolts out due to the EGR tube running right over the top of the sensor. I think the internal hex is 7mm and the outside hex is 13mm.

Wasn't too bad to swap on my old Dak, but it wa a Dak not a Grand so much more room.

+1 to crank sensor ... or fuel pump.

MB, I have a spared used crank sensor out of my old Dak (is 1992 the same part number?) turned out that wasnt the problem in it the MSD 6AL was :o

thedon809
11-14-2010, 02:08 PM
Bad crank sensor won't always throw a code.

dodgeshadowchik
11-14-2010, 08:51 PM
Ok, We'll give the cranks sensor a try. Maybe I'll snag that one form you, JT, and try it. 'cause I know nothing will get done with it until I get the part. No one seems to know how to buy a car part around here.

spr-t-23: downriver area. so a little bit of a hike from where you are at...

thanks again everyone!

Spr-T-23
11-14-2010, 08:58 PM
damn downriver people....good luck, drop me a pm if your every up my way

RoadWarrior222
11-14-2010, 09:33 PM
If that don't do it, might wanna pop the inspection cover and try and rattle the driveplate/flexplate... just to be sure and all.

bakes
11-15-2010, 12:07 AM
Check the coil wire 1st i had replace lot's of them for arching out to the valve cover look for burn spots on them . then look at the crank sensor.

RoadWarrior222
11-15-2010, 10:09 AM
Check the coil wire 1st i had replace lot's of them for arching out to the valve cover look for burn spots on them . then look at the crank sensor.

Hey what's with that, we've gone back to the 70s for the quality of spark wires lately, got burn spots on wires just over a year old here :(

bakes
11-15-2010, 10:51 PM
Hey what's with that, we've gone back to the 70s for the quality of spark wires lately, got burn spots on wires just over a year old here :(

YOU know how long a 5.2-5.9l coil wire is ?, it starts a the right front of the head and goes all the way to the back + i think the quality of FACTORY wires is crap for all makes and models of the mid 90' and up.