PDA

View Full Version : Intro and Update: Slugmobile and Mean Mini! (long read, but worth it)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

wheming
11-11-2010, 11:24 AM
First off, Mods please relocate if this isn't the correct spot for this discussion. I didn't see a forum for intro's. Thanks!

I've been away from the boards for the most part, although I thought the TD.com site was the one with most of the old crew from SDML, i find most of them are here. So I figured it was about time to return and re-register.

So the quick low-down. Wayne Hemingway formerly from MA, then southern CT, now near Raleigh, NC. Former member of SDML, SDAC-NE, SDAC National, former long time racing buddies and friends with the NE chapter including Gus Mahon, Gary Donovan, Seth Prentiss, Bill Baker, ButchN, of course my little brother Dan, and many others.

Some may already know this but after Gus' tragic accident it was unclear what would happen to his turbo Mopar legacies. At that time, he had three, Blacky (the black Spirit turbo, 5spd that was mostly the daily driver), Slugmobile (if i need to explain this car to you, I feel bad for you!), and Mean Mini. Slugmobile couldn't be driven by Gus' wife Dolores. So it became clear that was going to be sold. After the family discussed their options, they made a decision on who to sell it to. I was selected. It took just over a year for the probate to clear the property and Gus' son Danny was able to sign the title over.
Slugmobile has been a daily driver since then. Although in the heat of the summer in NC it is sort of torturous to drive her in summer, she is still driven nearly everyday! She is about to undergo a major maintenance overhaul for suspension, steering, brakes, wheel hubs/bearings etc. No performance mods, just normal maintenance of long overdue items.
Mini on the other hand, was still capable of being driven in full auto tranny mode, so Gus' wife kept her for use. Mini never saw much use, but was still cared for. She had been parked under a shelter since one was built at the house, but the paint has still fallen prone to the "Mopar peel" ;).
Several trips home over the years and visiting with Dolores and Gus' daughter Tanya, I would always see Mini sitting there. Dolores would talk about selling her, and she even eventually settle on a buyer. I'm not sure who it was, but he was a big turbo mini guy in Ohio or somewhere? (you are probably reading this, so chime in! ;) ) Anyway, she would always end up talking herself out of it. I know how difficult it must be to let some major possession of a lost loved one must be. But, when she finally came to terms with it, the buyer's situation had changed, and was unable to purchase due to some mounting medical costs. (I hope things are better now.)
On one recent visit like earlier in the year or so, I told Dolores if things didn't work out with the sale, i would be interested and may be in a better position to help. When i again visited over the summer, she offered the van to me, and it was a pretty emotional time for both of us. I truely feel like they consider me family, and it is an honor to be the caretaker now of both Slugmobile and Mean Mini.

Mini had sat for pretty much the last 5 or so years, and for the last several had not even been registered. She wouldn't immediately start, since a dead battery, and the battery wouldn't jump. Fresh battery and then she fired up but wasn't happy. She was "idling" at 3000rpm. We did eventually check her out, give her the once over and then my brother Dan and I were able to move her from CT to his house.
From there Dan has done a ton of maintenance work to her to revive her back to her glory days. She has been treated to several new parts, complete new front suspension, strut assemblies, poly control arm bushings (from where else but PolyBushings.com), all new brake lines/hoses, ball joints, tie rods ends (in and outer), tune up with new Taylor Thundervolt wires/cap/rotor/plugs (NGK Iridiums Gus would call me foolish for spending $5/each for spark plugs! but i have them on the PT, and wanted to try them.)

I have a kitchen full of other parts for her, and she will be treated to a fresh paint job in the factory color. The plan is to get her back to racing shape, and get her out on the track where she belongs. She deserves to finally run her 12's. The last setup of the van looks like Gus intended on just racing street tires at only about 20psi boost. Mini also has a completely emissions legal exhaust WITH a catalytic converter.

I'm currently up in MA right now, and will be driving Mini home from the trip. I may try to plan on stopping at Cecil County Dragway, to meet with some of you. It's been a long time, and I'd like to try and be more active on the boards once again.

I really do apologize this post is so long. But thanks for reading if you got this far!
Here's a link with pics just taken of Mini:
http://picasaweb.google.com/w.heming/MeanMini?authkey=Gv1sRgCIvaqvPJ8OP8YA&feat=directlink

Thanks,
Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
'05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick
'89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
'89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini!
and other vehicles

contraption22
11-11-2010, 11:47 AM
I am glad that this piece of Turbo Mopar history has found it's way into your hands. Congrats on the aquisition. Hope to see you at Cecil!

Daytana
11-11-2010, 12:03 PM
Let us know when you come back to NC. There are a few of us in Fayetteville who would love the opportunity to see the Slugmobile and the Mean Minivan!

Spraynlog
11-11-2010, 02:24 PM
Thanks for posting up! Gus' website was the first turbo mopar info site I found, and I read it over and over. I still have a boost controller I bought from him. I'm glad to hear his vehicles are in good hands!:nod:

BadAssPerformance
11-11-2010, 02:32 PM
Welcome Wayne! :thumb: and thanks for the updates! :clap:

ShelbyTurbo
11-11-2010, 02:39 PM
This thread contains awesome and win.

It's good to know that they both live on.

wheming
11-11-2010, 04:30 PM
Thanks everyone! I tried to reply earlier, but apparently it didn't go through.
I'll see some of you at Cecil, and I'll let you know when i'm back in NC.
I should be there sometime Sunday morning i guess.

DaveSkrab
11-11-2010, 04:47 PM
I remember when you became Slug's caretaker, glad she's still running around. Hopefully, your schedule aligns with a stop at Cecil on Saturday. Would be good to say hello again.

Directconnection
11-11-2010, 07:14 PM
Thanks,
Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
'05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick
'89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
'89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini!
and other vehicles

Hey Wayne! I never met you at the old NESDAC meetings in the mid 90's, but remember you and your brother really well. How's he doing? Haven't seen/heard from him in 8 years. You might remember my name from the SDML back then (Steve Mercier ) with a '90 VNT Shadow up in Maine.

I came close to looking into the purchase of Mean Mini... but I had so much on my plate currently... and even though me and a good friend had a nice storage area set aside if Gus' wife was ok on us taking the old gal (ie:mean mini) YOU and your brother are the best keeper of the Mean Mini :D

I was afraid someone would snatch up mean Mini and even Slug and part it for the Mp head, S60 turbo and Spearcos.... but like I've always said: these cars were the pioneering experiments for what we have today. W/out Gus and his crazy thought processes we'd still be running 12s... and even the tuner world he helped years past would be a couple steps behind (DSM crowd)

Greedy
11-11-2010, 08:11 PM
Glad you found your way over here,I guess the other site won't even let you send a pm that references this site.
I hope to make it down to Cecil Saturday to see the Mean Mini in person.

Dave
11-11-2010, 10:38 PM
Dolores would talk about selling her, and she even eventually settle on a buyer. I'm not sure who it was, but he was a big turbo mini guy in Ohio or somewhere? (you are probably reading this, so chime in! ;) ) Anyway, she would always end up talking herself out of it. I know how difficult it must be to let some major possession of a lost loved one must be. But, when she finally came to terms with it, the buyer's situation had changed, and was unable to purchase due to some mounting medical costs. (I hope things are better now.)
On one recent visit like earlier in the year or so, I told Dolores if things didn't work out with the sale, i would be interested and may be in a better position to help. When i again visited over the summer, she offered the van to me, and it was a pretty emotional time for both of us. I truely feel like they consider me family, and it is an honor to be the caretaker now of both Slugmobile and Mean Mini.

Now who could that be? ;)

Really, very happy to see that it's in great hands and is continuing its heritage! I was afraid someone would strip it. Museum of turbo-mopars, perhaps?

-Bryan

RoadWarrior222
11-11-2010, 10:49 PM
Welcome, I'm probably one of the ones they warned you about. Thanks for adopting and caring for these historic and storied vehicles that have been an inspiration to many.

She had been parked under a shelter since one was built at the house, but the paint has still fallen prone to the "Mopar peel" ;).

If it's just coming off in strips, that's :( :( :( but that faded speckled patchy clearcoat thing, I like to refer to as the "fractal attraction" paint package :D on account of it looks like Mr Mandelbrot got loose on mine.

wheming
11-12-2010, 01:08 AM
well I just typed out a nice reply to everyone, but then got logged out, and lost it! Sometimes i really hate computers!
I'll try again in the morning.

GLHSHELBY
11-12-2010, 01:27 AM
glad to see you on here Wayne.Haven`t seen you since the Charlotte Autofair years ago. Glad to see Gus` cars still in good shape.I still have about 3-4 magazines with both in them.

x.Gen
11-12-2010, 04:49 AM
... and even the tuner world he helped years past would be a couple steps behind (DSM crowd)

yeah, it's pretty funny. was bored the past couple days and researching an intercooler upgrade, just searching aimlessly around seeing if any semi-legitimate flow #'s were out there. of course Gus' page came to mind, but I was looking for stuff I knew he didn't have on there. anyhow, in all the random forum posts, I did find a few and was surprised Gus was mentioned (and his site, of course), and they weren't archived/ancient posts! surely many knew of him, even outside our circles. so this thread is timely for me, hadn't thought about it in some time until the intercooler change came up.

anyhow, respect for keeping the rides running, Wayne. glad someone who cared got them (and will make sure they are beaten properly!).

mopar-tech
11-12-2010, 07:19 AM
Good to hear from you Wayne!

Gary

wheming
11-12-2010, 11:49 AM
Wow! all the good "old heads" are here on this site!

Steve, yes I remember the name, but it's been a long time and i think my memory is going... ;)
You should try giving Dan a PM. The most promising project of his, since he's logged so much time working on Mean Mini is to get his 90 Caravan ES turbo cleared to be registered. Other than the paint, it is in great shape!

Bryan - So was that you? If so, I hope things are better now.

Cecil Update - Yes, I've already broke the news to the family that I'll be returning home early. So I'll leave out of here (Central MA in the morning). If anyone from the area is headed down and want to meet up along the way, please let me know. Mini needs to travel approx 700 miles total for the trip, and like I said she's only just been dusted off after a long slumber.

Warrior - Nope, it is the peeling off in sheets! But, luckily since it was under the shelter at Gus' house it only has a bit of spotty surface rust. I'm going to start getting quotes as soon as I'm home for the re-paint!

GLHSHELBY - A name would help! I think I'm also inheriting Gus' failing memory along with the cars.... Is this Kevin?

Thanks Gary! It's good to be back home! I'm glad to see you are here too.

Alot of the list and forum members just never knew or realized how much Gus help other crowds too. I know he'd spend almost as much time of the DSM lists as he did on SDML and our forums. he also helped alot of Honda guys too that were getting into turbocharging. I had plans to build a twin turbo 283 V8 for my 64 Chevy Nova, and Gus knowledge was going to be instrumental for that. But that project has been shelved for now.
Also, not many people may know, unless you knew him personally and heard the stories, but Gus has two other turbocars that he raced out there. He had an '82 Mustang (damn memory! maybe it was an '84 or '85?) 302 HO. He set about turbocharging it right after he bought it brand new. No one made any kits for it. He had the first 80 whatever Mustang turbo. (Whatever year it was it was the last year of the 302 V8 HO.) He also had an Omni GLHT that he used to race. He has also owned several cars that just were basically parts cars. So there are other pieces of Gus' history out there. Last I knew about the Mustang, Louie his mechanic had sold it I believe.

I really appreciate the support from you all. I really want to keep these treasures from being lost. I've been given a donor complete K-member that will replace Slug's old worn out front. I've got everything needed to rebuild it but Slug could really use some better front and rear springs if anyone has any they'd care to donate.
I've got the AA autocross springs on my Spirit, and Slug could benefit from something like that.
Slug's body is really starting to show it's age, and the fact it was a northern vehicle. And her tranny is whining and probably going to need some attention soon. But, even with all that, she can still manage to get out and surprise some folks on the street!

I'll get some updated pics of both, when i return to NC.

Keito
11-12-2010, 11:58 AM
Great update!
I still think of Gus every time I mount up the
the Bogart wheels on my race car.
I still have a pic on my computer of Slug at the
racetrack with them on.

BIG PSI
11-12-2010, 12:02 PM
Wayne,

I was the one that was going to get Mean Mini, from Dolores. But I kept getting set backs with my health, plus I had 4 Turbo Mini Vans, a Turbo P Body. I finally gave up trying to get Mean Mini here to Ohio and told her to sell it to another person whom she trusted with its HISTORY.

I for one hope you bring her back to life and all of her former glory.

Chuck

:love:

GLHSHELBY
11-12-2010, 12:34 PM
GLHSHELBY - A name would help! I think I'm also inheriting Gus' failing memory along with the cars.... Is this Kevin?

not sure if you remember me but I`m Travis Foster,I had the black 89 daytona shelby among others.
Kevin Franzen I quess is who you were thinking,He`s Dodgez on all the forums I believe.

turbovanmanČ
11-12-2010, 03:25 PM
Thanks for sharing and you've come to the right place, :nod:

I bought my van because of Gus and Gary D's sites, so thanks guys for draining my pocket book, :p

wheming
11-12-2010, 05:08 PM
Great update!
I still think of Gus every time I mount up the
the Bogart wheels on my race car.
I still have a pic on my computer of Slug at the
racetrack with them on.

Well, that answers one of the questions I would eventually ask here!
Now, for the next, would you ever consider selling them?

When Slug makes her eventual return to the races, it would be nice if she were wearing those shoes! I'll have to see if those are still available from Bogart.

wheming
11-12-2010, 05:14 PM
Wayne,

I for one hope you bring her back to life and all of her former glory.

Chuck

:love:

I will do my very best Chuck! With some occasional help from the kind folks here, Mini will see her return to the track!
Mini's current setup was selected for Gus to run 13's in Mini on street tires all day long. So it might take a couple changes to get her to dip into the 12's. But, rest assured, they will be all Gus tricks!

wheming
11-12-2010, 05:16 PM
not sure if you remember me but I`m Travis Foster,I had the black 89 daytona shelby among others.
Kevin Franzen I quess is who you were thinking,He`s Dodgez on all the forums I believe.

Oh yes, i remember the name. Yes, i was thinking of Kevin.
Hopefully I'll be off the weekend of the Spring Auto Fair, and can take Mini.

wheming
11-12-2010, 05:21 PM
Thanks for sharing and you've come to the right place, :nod:

I bought my van because of Gus and Gary D's sites, so thanks guys for draining my pocket book, :p

Way to shift the blame bro.... :lol:
you could have stopped anytime...:D

So like when an alcoholic visits, and I buy him a drink, it's MY fault he's an alcoholic??? :evil:

turbovanmanČ
11-12-2010, 05:24 PM

So like when an alcoholic visits, and I buy him a drink, it's MY fault he's an alcoholic??? :evil:

Yes, lol. :lol:

mopar-tech
11-12-2010, 05:40 PM
Thanks Gary! It's good to be back home! I'm glad to see you are here too.

Time to time as it permits.

I still have that module you wanted me to look at, matter of fact fired up the chip station for the first time in over 5 years last night!

Did a snappy cal for Jon's Spirit, we will see how it fairs at Cecil this weekend ;-)

If I can get the new garage up soon I might be back to doing some work on a limited basis.

wheming
11-12-2010, 05:51 PM
Time to time as it permits.

I still have that module you wanted me to look at, matter of fact fired up the chip station for the first time in over 5 years last night!

Did a snappy cal for Jon's Spirit, we will see how it fairs at Cecil this weekend ;-)

If I can get the new garage up soon I might be back to doing some work on a limited basis.

Cool!
You know, some time away does help. I've really gotten fired up about Mini, and now finally after all these years of driving Slug with wore out front components i'm giving her the attention she's needed.

If anything can be saved on that module, I'd sure like to have a spare in standby!
So you'll be there tomorrow?

mopar-tech
11-12-2010, 05:54 PM
If anything can be saved on that module, I'd sure like to have a spare in standby!
So you'll be there tomorrow?

I'm afraid not, too much to do here!

Next year I'll be better geared up to do some racing I hope, I really need to get this garage up.

wheming
11-12-2010, 06:12 PM
Well, you'll be there in spirit! ;)

5sp. mini
11-12-2010, 11:14 PM
i remember chuck telling me he was going to get that van, i used his web. page to build my van that i drove for 9? years.glad to see it up again

DodgeZ
11-12-2010, 11:31 PM
Oh yes, i remember the name. Yes, i was thinking of Kevin.
Hopefully I'll be off the weekend of the Spring Auto Fair, and can take Mini.

Wayne, glad to see you are on the forum. It is nice to know you got the van also. Give me a shout if you need anything.

wheming
11-14-2010, 01:14 PM
Thanks Kevin! Maybe we should have a club wrenching day over at my house....

For anyone watching, Mean Mini made her trip from MA to Cecil just fine. She even made it there on one tank of fuel, which combined with the 10% ethanol crap up in New England isn't too bad, and that the speedo might be off. But she averaged about 19.5 mpg which I think is a bit low.

After watching all the fun, and seeing Brian Slowe solidly break into the 8's officially, Mini made the rest of her journey to NC without too much problem. She did hiccup once or twice, and it sounded like she backfired on the highway under part throttle, but she made it.

It was good to see and meet you all. Hopefully i can be more active with the clubs in the coming years.

GLHS60
11-14-2010, 10:33 PM
Hey Wayne:
I'm glad you found your way over here to T-M. I remember you from the old days and your up date on Slugmobile and Mean Mini are much appreciated. Looking forward to your future posts!!

Thanks
Randy

DodgeZ
11-14-2010, 10:40 PM
Thanks Kevin! Maybe we should have a club wrenching day over at my house....

For anyone watching, Mean Mini made her trip from MA to Cecil just fine. She even made it there on one tank of fuel, which combined with the 10% ethanol crap up in New England isn't too bad, and that the speedo might be off. But she averaged about 19.5 mpg which I think is a bit low.

After watching all the fun, and seeing Brian Slowe solidly break into the 8's officially, Mini made the rest of her journey to NC without too much problem. She did hiccup once or twice, and it sounded like she backfired on the highway under part throttle, but she made it.

It was good to see and meet you all. Hopefully i can be more active with the clubs in the coming years.

I would be up for a club meet but I just moved to Austin TX. Are you still still apart of the club?

RoadWarrior222
11-14-2010, 11:30 PM

Besides, you're only a boostaholic if you go to meetings.... oh wait...

I would be up for a club meet but I just moved to Austin TX. Are you still still apart of the club?

Tony Fields
11-15-2010, 01:15 AM
Made these Enthusiast (business) cards for Gus several years
ago. I added the R.I.P. after he was no longer with us.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopost/data/518/medium/cardgus_Medium_.jpg

Tony

wheming
11-17-2010, 10:01 PM

Well, dang! I'd guess you'd win the long distance award the club day... :lol:
I'm still on the books, I think. But I've just missed out on some of the Auto Fairs. I wish we weren't so spread out down here.

wheming
11-17-2010, 10:13 PM
Made these Enthusiast (business) cards for Gus several years
ago. I added the R.I.P. after he was no longer with us.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopost/data/518/medium/cardgus_Medium_.jpg

Tony

Why yes you did!
I still have one of the originals. Gus either gave me one, or it was in the car, i can't remember now.

Directconnection
11-17-2010, 11:38 PM
Hey Wayne, I *think* I have the last pass from Gus in Slug on video from my camcorder (I might have given a copy to gary years ago) It was at the NED sport compact event where Gary raced the supra (I shot that too)

I also have about 30 seconds or so of footage of me videotaping Gus as he was talking turbo tech to someone in need at the event, too.

NeonShowCar
11-18-2010, 12:53 AM
I often wondered what had happened to both the Slug and Mini as the passing of Gus. Good to see that it went to someone that is going to take care of them as they should be. And thanks for sharing your story, always enjoy reading stories like this.

-Garry W. McKissick
1986 Dodge Shelby Charger - Silver w/ blue stripe (restoration project)
1985 Dodge Shelby Charger - Blue w/ silver stripe

Aries_Turbo
11-18-2010, 03:58 PM
good to hear from you wayne.

you took me and my buddy steve for a ride in slug at SDAC 13. i sat on the metal rear seat area on a towel next to the slicks lol.

Brian

contraption22
11-18-2010, 04:28 PM
Hey Wayne, great to see you again at Cecil last weekend. Also great to see the legendary minivan.

vipernbox
11-18-2010, 05:06 PM
If there is interest.. I still have... and could make more of the 'Gus' valves I laser engraved his name onto..

I'll take a picture later..

Gus inspired me for sure... I already enjoyed and loved the cars.. and his work opened a whole new level of enjoyment for me also...:clap::clap:

wheming
11-27-2010, 12:23 PM
Hey Wayne, I *think* I have the last pass from Gus in Slug on video from my camcorder (I might have given a copy to gary years ago) It was at the NED sport compact event where Gary raced the supra (I shot that too)

I also have about 30 seconds or so of footage of me videotaping Gus as he was talking turbo tech to someone in need at the event, too.

I think I remember seeing that video before, unless I'm thinking of another.
I'd love a copy Steve if you could send it. You have it digitized yet?

wheming
11-27-2010, 12:30 PM
I often wondered what had happened to both the Slug and Mini as the passing of Gus. Good to see that it went to someone that is going to take care of them as they should be. And thanks for sharing your story, always enjoy reading stories like this.

-Garry W. McKissick

Good to see you here also Gary. I remember how you and Gus would have some good discussions.

wheming
11-27-2010, 12:38 PM
good to hear from you wayne.

you took me and my buddy steve for a ride in slug at SDAC 13. i sat on the metal rear seat area on a towel next to the slicks lol.

Brian

Hi Brian, ya sorry about the accommodations that day.
I wish there had been more time to get Slug right before going to SDAC13. I remember how the boost wouldn't hold, and could only manage about 20psi. I found out later the WOT switch was just touchy, and needed a small adjustment.
But she still threw down a 12.xx on the first pass! So I was happy for her. :D

wheming
11-27-2010, 12:43 PM
If there is interest.. I still have... and could make more of the 'Gus' valves I laser engraved his name onto..

I'll take a picture later..

Gus inspired me for sure... I already enjoyed and loved the cars.. and his work opened a whole new level of enjoyment for me also...:clap::clap:

Yes, I'm interested! I'd like one for Mini, since her current setup was to be running 13's on street tires. So there is no g-valve at all on her.
I'm going to have to modify her boost control back to where Gus had it previously and plan to use a g-valve for the high setting.

Did anyone pick up the torch to supply those 15-30psi pressure switches?
I remember they were made by World Magnetics or something.

wheming
11-27-2010, 12:49 PM
Hey Wayne, great to see you again at Cecil last weekend. Also great to see the legendary minivan.

Great catching up with you Mike. I was hoping to see the Contraption again, but understand the reasons to not take her out so late in the season.

I've been away too long! Hopefully they'll be some racing again in my future.

30 PSI SHADOW
11-27-2010, 01:01 PM
me and gus looooong time ago in another galaxy......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNz1CqBW_8Y

Directconnection
11-27-2010, 08:11 PM
I think I remember seeing that video before, unless I'm thinking of another.
I'd love a copy Steve if you could send it. You have it digitized yet?

Not digitzed at all.... still in Hi8 format.

Not sure how to convert it, either.... I am too oldschool in computers and tech these days.

Ondonti
11-28-2010, 06:29 AM
Not to be a party pooper but.

I clearly remember 3 years or so ago... (and I can't believe nobody else remembers because you all posted there).

A thread about Slug on T-M. In the thread, it was claimed the custom wheels were gone, and some pictures were posted of the engine bay and it looked absolutely terrible. I can't remember any other details except possibly that the thread claimed the car changing hands a few times.

Was that a fraudulent story/pics? Nobody said anything back then about it.

mopar-tech
11-28-2010, 09:19 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqlY4SijpZw

I did some camera work and video encoding for Gus, I'll see if I can come up with anything else.

Gary

Aries_Turbo
11-28-2010, 10:32 AM

I clearly remember 3 years or so ago... (and I can't believe nobody else remembers because you all posted there).

A thread about Slug on T-M. In the thread, it was claimed the custom wheels were gone, and some pictures were posted of the engine bay and it looked absolutely terrible. I can't remember any other details except possibly that the thread claimed the car changing hands a few times.

no that thread was real and i remember it as well. wayne had the car then too.

the engine bay was supposed to look terrible. :) when i saw the car in 03, the engine bay looked terrible then too with wire nuts and little valves, switches and bleeds all over the place. thats the way gus had it, thats the way wayne wanted to leave it. it probably still looks terrible. :)
no fraud going on.

Brian

mopar-tech
11-28-2010, 10:39 AM
the engine bay was supposed to look terrible. :) when i saw the car in 03, the engine bay looked terrible then too with wire nuts and little valves, switches and bleeds all over the place.

Just the way Gus was, both vehicles looked like a hand grenade had gone off in the engine bays.

Aries_Turbo
11-28-2010, 12:22 PM
Just the way Gus was, both vehicles looked like a hand grenade had gone off in the engine bays.

thats the way my k car looks lol. ask anyone that saw it at SDAC 17. i was in the middle of testing a cobblejob alky injection system. hobbes switches, brass fittings, fuel hose and VW cold start injectors, relays, wiring bits and zip ties EVERYWHERE. :)

Brian

wheming
11-28-2010, 06:04 PM
Yes, I'm interested! I'd like one for Mini, since her current setup was to be running 13's on street tires. So there is no g-valve at all on her.
I'm going to have to modify her boost control back to where Gus had it previously and plan to use a g-valve for the high setting.

Vipernbox
I'm not allowed to PM apparently?
Got an error when i tried. Huh and i paid for a membership.
Can you email me?
I'll make sure my email is enabled in my profile.
Thanks!

wheming
11-28-2010, 06:22 PM

Clearly you never met Gus or had the pleasure of seeing either car in person.

By the way i believe it was me who posted those pics in that old th
read on TM.
No fraud of any sort. I am the only owner of Slug since Gus.

The enginebay is virtually unchanged aside from normal maintenance.

wheming
11-28-2010, 06:34 PM

The custom crab wheels are still there. The custom bogart racing wheels were sold by Gus after he had realized he wasn't going to be changing wheels at the track anymore.
I didn't know he had sold them.

Aries_Turbo
11-28-2010, 08:32 PM
Vipernbox

im looking into this. your pms should work fine.

Brian

Frank
11-28-2010, 09:05 PM
Vipernbox
Can you email me?
I'll make sure my email is enabled in my profile.
Thanks!

You need 5 posts in places other than the lounge before you can PM. Just head to the Test section and knock off a few.

wheming
11-28-2010, 11:53 PM
Thanks Frank.

Reaper1
11-29-2010, 09:46 PM
Nice to know Mini is in good hands. I had wondered what happened to her.

Not that it matters too much, but I have a G-valve that was made by Gus just before he passed. I don't know how many he turned out, but it very well might be one of the last ones he ever personally built. I still use it on my Shelby Z...and only for the "HIGH boost" setting for added Gus luck! :)

wheming
11-30-2010, 12:35 PM
I know he'd crank out a batch of them at a time. Everytime I ever visited, he'd be preparing something to mail out to someone and all over the country. Often times several at once.
Those valves and bleeds are just on our turbo Mopars, but some were sent to the DSM crowd he would help, and he did more than a few Hondas and Toyotas too.

Reaper1
11-30-2010, 08:11 PM
Oh I knew he had a hand in other crowds as well. I just didn't know if he only built them to order or what. At any rate I still love having a bit of Gus helping my boost out. It just seems....right. :thumb:

wheming
11-30-2010, 10:20 PM
definitely! Count yourself lucky. I'm sure there is someone out there who was waiting for something to get mailed out.

Ondonti
12-17-2010, 01:48 AM
no that thread was real and i remember it as well. wayne had the car then too.

the engine bay was supposed to look terrible. :) when i saw the car in 03, the engine bay looked terrible then too with wire nuts and little valves, switches and bleeds all over the place. thats the way gus had it, thats the way wayne wanted to leave it. it probably still looks terrible. :)
no fraud going on.

Brian

I was just trying to bring anything out of my memory that people were talking about in the thread to try to spark someone else's memory of the thread.
The picture quality was probably worse then anything so it was hard for anyone to identify things.

I failed to find the thread when I searched for it.
I didn't keep up with the old thread but when that was posted a bunch of people were acting like they didn't believe it was really Gus's car because they didn't believe something about the story. I don't even know if I posted in that thread.

I was hoping I could find the old thread so I could compare stories. This story makes sense, the last time he shared it people seemed confused? Thinking about this thread cause I had another one of those "threads you remember but can't find" moments.

turbovanmanČ
12-17-2010, 03:24 AM

We just use Hobbs switch's now.

wheming
12-18-2010, 10:14 PM
I was just trying to bring anything out of my memory that people were talking about in the thread to try to spark someone else's memory of the thread.
The picture quality was probably worse then anything so it was hard for anyone to identify things.

I failed to find the thread when I searched for it.
I didn't keep up with the old thread but when that was posted a bunch of people were acting like they didn't believe it was really Gus's car because they didn't believe something about the story. I don't even know if I posted in that thread.

I was hoping I could find the old thread so I could compare stories. This story makes sense, the last time he shared it people seemed confused? Thinking about this thread cause I had another one of those "threads you remember but can't find" moments.

Well, what do you want to know? I think I'm qualified to be able to fill you in... :thumb:
Here's the other thread you mentioned:
http://www.turbododge.com/forums/f1/f25/136474-what-ever-happened-gus-mahons-slugmobile.html

The only stories that might be different are what others' comments are. I assure you mine are accurate.
And those pictures I took look like they may have been "auto corrected" cause the contrast looks a bit sharper.
I could take some new pics, but it looks better in some respects in these pics. The door side molding has come off on both front doors, and the clearcoat on the roof is peeling. But I assure you its the same car.
But I can try and take some recent pics. I've been waiting for warmer weather to try and remove the rest of the adhesive and re-attach that door moldings.

My avatar is a pic taken at SDAC of Slug and I doing a little mini burnout in the hotel parking lot.

DodgeZ
12-18-2010, 10:30 PM
I saw the car right after Wayne got. It is the real deal.

DodgeZ
12-18-2010, 10:48 PM
I can't find my old slug pictures but I did find these...

wheming
12-19-2010, 12:11 AM
Hey that look's familiar! :)
Was that from one of the AutoFair days?

That had to be 5-6 years ago, maybe longer. No lower grille and the fuel pressure sender is installed.

DodgeZ
12-19-2010, 03:17 PM
Hey that look's familiar! :)
Was that from one of the AutoFair days?

That had to be 5-6 years ago, maybe longer. No lower grille and the fuel pressure sender is installed.

I want to say 2001

GLHSHELBY
12-19-2010, 03:22 PM
I want to say 2001

It was 2001 ,I`m pretty sure:D
Is the NC chapter still intact??

WLKivett
12-19-2010, 04:40 PM
The NC SDAC chapter died when Ray did, RIP.

But we still get together for the AutoFair under a new name.

Landon Kivett

GLHSHELBY
12-19-2010, 07:39 PM
The NC SDAC chapter died when Ray did, RIP.

But we still get together for the AutoFair under a new name.

Landon Kivett

I didn`t know you all still went,I haven`t been back since he passed.

wheming
12-19-2010, 08:39 PM
I want to say 2001

Time is clicking by alot faster now than it seemed to!

The club is still around that I'm aware of, we did have a name change to incorporate some new members and increase the AutoFair turnout. Mike Walker is co-president? We've never been terribly active as a club, since our members are just way too spread out. It is one reason i miss the NE Chapter SDAC so much. We used to race all the time and have a club meet like once a month.

And to get back on topic, here are some pics taken today of Slug. Hope the quality is a little better. The only real noticeable exterior change has been replacing the old frosted lexan rear windows with some fresh ones. I still need to get them tinted.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_bjy9rItVUMY/TQ6dCzsn0DI/AAAAAAAAA6U/GmQhVLBwKxQ/s640/2010-12-19%2016.35.01.jpg

Engine bay:

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_bjy9rItVUMY/TQ6c9mVnCkI/AAAAAAAAA6I/TaF67gygOjY/s640/2010-12-19%2016.34.00.jpg

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_bjy9rItVUMY/TQ6dPztT0ZI/AAAAAAAAA6s/H9FgTmMPMpY/s640/2010-12-19%2016.35.47.jpg

Together again with her sister!

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_bjy9rItVUMY/TQ6dmgfEFnI/AAAAAAAAA7c/FxEg8blrByM/s640/2010-12-19%2016.41.52.jpg

It's been a long time since these three have all been seen in the same place together!

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_bjy9rItVUMY/TQ6dcoDpTAI/AAAAAAAAA7E/Whj6UzLF8BI/s640/2010-12-19%2016.40.38.jpg

GLHSHELBY
12-19-2010, 08:57 PM
still looking good:thumb:

wheming
12-20-2010, 10:15 PM
still looking good:thumb:

Thanks.
They'd all look better with a repaint. Slug looks good in the pics, but the clear is peeling off the roof. Mini's roof problem is obvious. But the plan is to get her some new paint. Need to talk to some folks after i get back from Christmas and start making plans.

mopar-tech
12-26-2010, 09:12 AM
I wonder where my van went too? Last I knew it was heading to Texas on a tow dolly. The old girl was buckets of fun after the stick went it.

5sp. mini
12-26-2010, 11:47 AM
is this the tranny guy? i had not seen him on here for a bit. cliff. maybe?

Directconnection
12-26-2010, 12:56 PM
The tranny guy was Cliff Ramsdell and he didn't own these cars, but did do some work for Gus (the owner)

Cliff had a few really nice cars over the years, including the T-III/568 powered K-wagon.

Wayne, where is Blackie these days?

WLKivett
12-26-2010, 08:54 PM
FWIW, here are pics from the last AutoFair meet, curtesy of GLHS144

http://s1179.photobucket.com/albums/x399/GLHS144/Autofair/#!cpZZ2QQtppZZ36

wheming
12-27-2010, 02:07 PM
The tranny guy was Cliff Ramsdell and he didn't own these cars, but did do some work for Gus (the owner)

Cliff had a few really nice cars over the years, including the T-III/568 powered K-wagon.

Wayne, where is Blackie these days?

Steve, I remember Blackie was sold also but don't remember who got her. Since she was a 5spd she was one of the first to go. Maybe Victor remembers. I'm not sure if he is on the board though.

wheming
12-27-2010, 02:18 PM
FWIW, here are pics from the last AutoFair meet, curtesy of GLHS144

http://s1179.photobucket.com/albums/x399/GLHS144/Autofair/#!cpZZ2QQtppZZ36

thanks!
Looks like it was a good turnout of the TM stuff.
Like the Rampage. Those little things are starting to grow on me!
Maybe Mini will be able to make it this spring. Will have to see...

Reeves
02-16-2011, 01:07 PM

-Garry W. McKissick

x2 :thumb:

thats the way my k car looks lol. ask anyone that saw it at SDAC 17. i was in the middle of testing a cobblejob alky injection system. hobbes switches, brass fittings, fuel hose and VW cold start injectors, relays, wiring bits and zip ties EVERYWHERE. :)

Brian

Yeah, I definitely remember! "Have you SEEN under the hood of that car?" LOL

Nice to know Mini is in good hands. I had wondered what happened to her.

Not that it matters too much, but I have a G-valve that was made by Gus just before he passed. I don't know how many he turned out, but it very well might be one of the last ones he ever personally built. I still use it on my Shelby Z...and only for the "HIGH boost" setting for added Gus luck! :)

I still have a set of Gus bleeds kicking around somewhere in an old skool fuse box with a note from Gus describing the color code = what orfice size! Sweet...

And also have a Gus MAP bleed somewhere!

I still have a couple of these from Gus brand new in the bag somewhere as well!

Great to see you on here Wayne and really glad to see you are taking care of some real legends!

wheming
03-10-2011, 09:10 PM
Thanks James.
I'll feel alot better when MeanMini has new paint and Slugmobile has here totally new front suspension and brakes possibly along with a freshened trans and new torque converter.

Then we might be able to do some racing this year!

wheming
11-22-2011, 12:59 AM
Well, here's a brief update of what I've been trying to knock out. Slugmobile: Suspension:complete front end rebuild with PolyBushings fixin's, reman manual steering rack, new hubs, new ball joints, new struts/bearings/mounts, Spirit R/T springs, new brake rotors/calipers/hoses, synthetic brake fluid, new engine and trans mounts, Drivetrain: newly freshened A413 (A Cliff Ramsdell special order! Thanks again, Cliff for the quick turnaround to meet my needs!), new Peloquin LSD, rebuilt 8" Dynamic Converters super-duper converter (the only converter to ever last multiple races seasons in Slugmobile), new axles, new stainless turbo cooling lines (need to try and get that damn oil supply line on though!), new/reman starter, new tranny cooling hoses and back to radiator and aux cooler routing, I'm sure there's more but that's the bigger stuff. Some recent pics: https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B5lkp8rxfGiYZjM2YTIzNjYtNjAyYi00YjNiLWE4Y jktMDg3YTk5ZTVhMjU5 https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B5lkp8rxfGiYMzczOTRhZDAtNTBiMi00YTIxLTllY jEtNDcxOTVkMzRmNWQ4 https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B5lkp8rxfGiYMzJiNWVkNTUtOTQ5OC00Mzk2LWIwY 2QtMTQ1MTNjMWY5YzBl Next up, rear suspension, bearings and brakes, new intercooler tubing, complete fuel hose replacement, and I'm sure some more tidbits...

30 PSI SHADOW
11-22-2011, 12:50 PM
very nice! sounds like the "bug" is kicking in!

RoadWarrior222
11-22-2011, 01:40 PM
Phew, whaddaya tryna do with ol' slug there... 8 seconds? :D

wheming
11-23-2011, 01:17 PM
She was badly in need of some maintenance. The front end has been horrible for >5 years!
Trans started to make a whine at idle in gear.
I doubt i'll even try to make a new record in Slug. This is all to just have her race and drive reliably again.
Don't forget....she's a daily driver too.

wheming
01-22-2012, 11:29 PM
Well I've got some update on Mean Mini's fresh new paint...
It's the wrong damn color!
Can't remember if i already mentioned this somewhere but my guy brought a piece in to the paint supplier to match rather than use the body tag for the code. Long and short he was given the wrong color(and activator too!). I thought it looked too dark when i first saw it. But it did look very nice. I was going to keep it and just have him paint everything to match (interior and all jambs) but with a small completion delay (change in temp here made him realize he needed to complete his shop renovation in order to properly complete Mini) it of course got eating at me.
The good news is while I was thinking of how best to tell him, he was thinking the same thing. So even though he was probably 90% complete with the outside he'll be repainting it all the correct color.
So I'll probably only get her back now sometime towards the end of Feb.
That's kind of a pain since i've got a list of stuff that's not getting smaller while it is there.

As far as Slugmobile goes, i completed the entire front end rebuild/replacement and rebuilt trans a TC. Problem there now is i used Spirit R/T front springs and holy crap! i lifted Slug! I clamped two coils but still seems tall. I had used the lower coil spring seats and maybe i shouldn't have. I may need to remove them and cut them. I do have some parts in the trunk so maybe it just looks worse than it is. I'll reserve final judgement untill after i replace the rear springs, install poly rear bushings, and rebuild the brakes/bearings. Once the rear is complete I'll see what'll need to be addressed further.
After that, she should be ready for the road once again!

my android sent this for me using Tapatalk...

RoadWarrior222
01-23-2012, 07:42 AM
Yah, that just sounds odd, car springs lifting a van, unless it had overworked car springs on it already, and the higher rate (?) R/T ones perked it up.

wheming
01-23-2012, 08:25 AM
The update for Slugmobile mentioned the springs. The R/T springs were stock as far as I know. My little brother donated them to Slug.
But as your intuitive luck would have it, Mini has been rolling on v6 strut assemblies for a year now. I mistakenly ordered them when getting parts for her rejuvination. I have some konis to go in once i get her back.

RoadWarrior222
01-23-2012, 08:33 AM
TBH, I think most parts places will only offer you a "universal" strut for these now, i.e. V6... but you can find them in the good brands still if you special order. (Or find online)

wheming
01-23-2012, 11:14 PM
I could have sworn when i ordered them they were for the 4cyl. But i did look back and noticed them listed as v6. That's water under the bridge though. I have some konis i bought after from a member here and i still need to install them.
I did contact koni to see how much a rebuild would be and holy crap was a surprised! Could likely be $250 each! So i guess i'll try these as is...

Keito
01-24-2012, 08:53 AM
Got your email, just battling a nasty cold, I'll get the info ASAP.

wheming
02-04-2012, 03:42 PM
Well i think i found out why Slug's rear wheel was flopping around so bad. Felt like about 1/16-1/8" with the wheel bolt on!

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-dpbmC0CcGd8/Ty1zU66VtjI/AAAAAAAABRM/Q8LrLjJsWNs/s400/2012-02-04%25252011.42.20.jpg

And the rest of this was a pretty sight also...
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-sZRRMSGxiz8/Ty1zBVHj1gI/AAAAAAAABQs/wNM_5X__01o/s400/2012-02-04%25252011.41.26.jpg

"Top Fuel" Bender
02-04-2012, 04:44 PM
I can't see the pic

wheming
02-04-2012, 07:49 PM
That work now?

cordes
02-05-2012, 01:58 AM
Yeah, it works now. That bearing isn't looking too happy.

RoadWarrior222
02-05-2012, 03:08 PM
Yarr, looks a bit on the buggered side, how's the spindle?

wheming
02-05-2012, 11:24 PM
I guess i'll find out for sure when i clean all that old rotten grease off. But the bearings were intack so i'm sure they are fine.
No wonder why the car was getting sloppy feeling...
Would have been nice to swap in my spare spirit es rear susp with disc brakes... Too bad that car apparently went to the crusher...

wheming
02-21-2012, 09:16 PM
Well finally!
Slugmobile is back down on her own four wheels!
Had some delays of course. One bearing from RockAuto wasn't even close to what it was supposed to be and had several different part numbers on the box. I found some rotten brakelines so there was no way to replace rear brake hoses without redoing some sections of lines. Then i found a rotten section of fuel supply line so figured i better address that.
The spindle on the right rear that had the really bad bearing looked ok. So i just cleaned it up and gave it a touch up with emery cloth.
The rear polybushings control arm bushings were a pain in the nuts! Literally! The control arm bushing bolt was so rusted i had to chop it off with my cutoff wheel.
I so wish i still had that parts spirit es. I was going to swap that entire rear axle from it into Slug and give Slug rear discs. But its gone.
But, Slug now has all new rear brakes: shoes, cylinders, drums, hardware, etc.

The Polybushings rear track bar looks good. And i didn't realize the original track bar was bent in two places before i removed it.
I've got the Spirit R/T rear coil springs swapped in and replaced the rear shocks. Got a KYB GR2 on the passenger side and a new air shock on the drivers side. I did find that Gus had the passenger rear spring clamped. I know he probably had just that one clamped in an effort to balance the weight on the four wheels. But I haven't reclamped it yet. I'll need to get some new clamps.
Since these springs have not been on a car in several years, the car does seem a bit high right now. I'll have to see if the car has to settle again. But if these front speings don't sag any, I think I'll have to cut some down.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-ll7orIaKoFw/T0Q7W8wbbFI/AAAAAAAABSU/arjWLE7JpvE/s800/2012-02-21%2015.20.16.jpg

So I might be close to putting her back on the road. She is waiting for a piece i ordered, a tee hose for the bov. The JB weld didn't hold on the new aluminum pipes. So i'm going to try a tee hose, and if that doesn't work I'll get the aluminum pipe welded.
I will have to order some front tires. I mocked up a SRT4 wheel to see how she'd look. Although those wheels are too heavy, I was thinking about using them.
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-mwQNapramQk/T0RCnNLfQdI/AAAAAAAABTg/i8lXEJ-cE7s/s800/%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

speedfreek500
02-21-2012, 09:58 PM
Glad to see this car get all the love it needs, cant wait to see it at SDAC.

wheming
02-21-2012, 10:58 PM
Well, don't know about that. I already promised Mean Mini I would take her! And i don't need her getting mad at me! ;)
Slug did make it to one many years ago, but Mini has never been. This is her year.

BigAl
02-21-2012, 11:10 PM
Hey once you get her back on the road and cleaned up a bit, gimme a call I would love to work out my new camera.

wheming
02-21-2012, 11:35 PM
Ok. Will do!

wheming
03-19-2012, 10:20 PM
Well visited MeanMini at my buddy's shop.
After some delays she's finally wearing the correct color paint!
I should get her back next week if all goes well.
Have to figure out what i'm doing with the bumpers. Rechrome or just paint.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-4zHAbPpJi30/T2uFZIkxXYI/AAAAAAAABVg/xEPpUpNYRBA/s800/2012-03-20%2016.43.29.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-XQL4e6efLN0/T2uFlPzHdpI/AAAAAAAABVw/mG3syhLgWmU/s800/2012-03-19%252017.53.42.jpg

BigAl
03-19-2012, 10:41 PM
no pic.

wheming
03-22-2012, 09:00 PM
There you go. Pics fixed.

RoadWarrior222
03-22-2012, 09:44 PM
WTF, are they supposed to be shiny? ... thought you were going for the original chalk matte TM look :D

wheming
03-23-2012, 08:39 PM
Don't worry that petina will eventually redevelop...

Might have her back next friday. We'll see.

GLHNSLHT2
03-23-2012, 08:46 PM
The spirit R/T springs are going to lift the car because that POS head weighs a ton. They needed all that spring rate :)

wheming
03-23-2012, 09:03 PM
The spirit R/T springs are going to lift the car because that POS head weighs a ton. They needed all that spring rate :)

Yeah i did kinda find that out.
Right now it probably sits like factory height if not slightly higher.

Due to a potential assembly issue with the struts, i think i'll order some stock replacement strut assemblies (entire strut cartridge) and replace.
I probably should have cut a coil out of the spring.

wheming
03-24-2012, 09:08 PM
Got some pics of Mini.
She's getting put back together.
The front bumper is incorrect and just temporary until i can get the original recoated.
(And these pics weren't taken by me, or with a decent camera, so low quality 2MP cameraphone.)
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-3Y37mJBtVzA/T25uj6iuEeI/AAAAAAAABXo/lZiasO2mC0c/s600/frt.jpg
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-F8ACNWcLO7I/T25ujEf6-nI/AAAAAAAABXo/WmKGMEJnPF0/s600/frt-lft.jpg
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/--2XOREnNVCs/T25ujdGkNeI/AAAAAAAABXo/y_pE-s1RPWI/s600/dr-side.jpg
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-XlyBV4_6mQw/T25ujY0UkPI/AAAAAAAABXo/mjf21hfFhsw/s600/frt-rt.jpg

turbovanmanČ
03-26-2012, 03:20 AM
Very nice but you gotta change the wheels, :eyebrows:

Thought about using the one piece plastic bumpers, they look awesome, :nod:

GLHNSLHT2
03-26-2012, 08:26 PM
uhh changing it much from the way Gus had it is kind of defeating the point of having it right?

RoadWarrior222
03-26-2012, 09:36 PM
But did he ever call it "done" or did it exist in a state of continuous development?

wheming
03-26-2012, 10:59 PM
Very nice but you gotta change the wheels, :eyebrows:

Thought about using the one piece plastic bumpers, they look awesome, :nod:

Those wheels were given to him and are 15x7. I think they are lighted that stock aluminum dodge wheels. Thats the only reason why he was using them. They were on Slug at one time.
I would like a lighter weight wheel but still maintain the sleeperness.

I have a bumper cover and reinforcement. But its just too much heavier than the stock aluminum bumper.

wheming
03-26-2012, 11:04 PM
uhh changing it much from the way Gus had it is kind of defeating the point of having it right?

That directed to Simon or me?
Only thing i've really done so far is maintenance and restoration stuff.
And the aluminum intercooler plumbing we both wanted to do for years. Although he was happy with the steel pipes and triple hose clamps since they were already there and worked. I suspect he would have eventually done this, once the hoses needed replacing.

GLHNSLHT2
03-26-2012, 11:07 PM
towards simon mostly. Though I think the cars should be kept as much as Gus had them as possible. They're a piece of TD/TM history.

wheming
03-26-2012, 11:09 PM
But did he ever call it "done" or did it exist in a state of continuous development?

His cars were changed around more than my Spirit.
He was always trying something different. Look how cut up his grille got over the years as an example.
Since Mini has and underdrive pulley I am trying to lower the electrical load. Going to try some lower current lighting. And that'll help visibility too.

turbovanmanČ
04-02-2012, 12:58 PM
His cars were changed around more than my Spirit.
He was always trying something different. Look how cut up his grille got over the years as an example.
Since Mini has and underdrive pulley I am trying to lower the electrical load. Going to try some lower current lighting. And that'll help visibility too.

I love the HID's, but you need to tape off the top inch otherwise you blind people. I really need to make some proper headlights.

---------- Post added at 09:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:56 AM ----------

towards simon mostly. Though I think the cars should be kept as much as Gus had them as possible. They're a piece of TD/TM history.

True, but you can still change a few things.

---------- Post added at 09:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:57 AM ----------

Those wheels were given to him and are 15x7. I think they are lighted that stock aluminum dodge wheels. Thats the only reason why he was using them. They were on Slug at one time.
I would like a lighter weight wheel but still maintain the sleeperness.

I have a bumper cover and reinforcement. But its just too much heavier than the stock aluminum bumper.

Gotcha.

I have them too, I am going to take out the factory heavy metal bars and fab something up our of aluminum.

wheming
04-02-2012, 11:02 PM
I was eyeballing if the factory aluminum bumper could stay and put the cover over it. You would just need to add some tabs for the bumper cover to bolt to.
And if you are not too concerned about accidents, you could remove a bit of material from the bumper and cover.

I'm not making any big changes, or at least in my opinion. They will still use his fuel and boost setups. And although i am re-installing A/c in Mini due to the hot and humid summers here, Slug hasn't had a/c put back in her and she's been here 9 years. But i plan to use Mini much more.

Since Mini has the underdrive pulley, she runs negative at idle with some accessories or lights on. I think she may not be so bad with hids and led replacement bulbs. That'll be my first experiment when i get her back. And replacing the broken cruise control.

I think anyone at SDAC will still be able to recognize her as Gus' Mean Mini.

GLHNSLHT2
04-02-2012, 11:41 PM
I love the HID's, but you need to tape off the top inch otherwise you blind people. I really need to make some proper headlights.[COLOR="Silver"]

Simon the light that blinds people comes from the bottom of the lense.

Since Mini has the underdrive pulley, she runs negative at idle with some accessories or lights on. I think she may not be so bad with hids and led replacement bulbs. That'll be my first experiment when i get her back. And replacing the broken cruise control.

Maybe an upgraded alternator would be easier? Does it have the ND alt on it? 120amps are easy to find.

wheming
04-03-2012, 07:53 AM
Maybe an upgraded alternator would be easier? Does it have the ND alt on it? 120amps are easy to find.

Already have the ND alt. And it can supply everything just fine when driving. But at idle (and worse in gear) the belt isn't rotating the alt enough to provide all required current.
So i want to reduce my lighting load anyway, but i'm left with either changing alt pulley to a larger one or get my idle speed changed in the smec.
If the reduced lighting amps don't give me what i'm looking for.

Reaper1
04-03-2012, 08:30 AM
I have the same issue in my Daytona. It's REALLY bad if I have the blower motor on. I actually killed a battery sitting in a traffic jam once because of it.

turbovanmanČ
04-03-2012, 02:34 PM
I turned up my idle and use a voltage stabilizer, works great, but will still pull down a bit with everything on, so not a big deal, :thumb:

RoadWarrior222
04-03-2012, 03:06 PM
Is/was this AC equipped? just thinking, some had high idle sensed off the AC switch, you could tap into that to trigger it from other high loads. Then when you don't have those loads on, then it needn't idle so fast.

Reeves
04-03-2012, 06:54 PM
But at idle (and worse in gear) the belt isn't rotating the alt enough to provide all required current.
So i want to reduce my lighting load anyway, but i'm left with either changing alt pulley to a larger one

You'd actually need a smaller one.....which is what I did.

GLHNSLHT2
04-03-2012, 07:49 PM
you've got a 120amp ND and it's still discharging at idle? I've got a 120 or 130amp chrysler or Bosch (one with the black plastic cover) on my GLH from a Dakota. I can have the high beams on, all 4 Hella 550 driving lights powered, the defrost on high and the doors open at idle and the volt gauge barely budges.

Reeves
04-03-2012, 08:26 PM
you've got a 120amp ND and it's still discharging at idle? I've got a 120 or 130amp chrysler or Bosch (one with the black plastic cover) on my GLH from a Dakota. I can have the high beams on, all 4 Hella 550 driving lights powered, the defrost on high and the doors open at idle and the volt gauge barely budges.

With an underdrive pulley?

wheming
04-03-2012, 09:27 PM

You're right. Smaller for more rpms. Glad i didn't buy one yet... ;)

contraption22
04-03-2012, 09:32 PM
Underdrive pulleys are a huge PITA for the amount of power they may or may not give you.

Reeves
04-03-2012, 09:41 PM
Underdrive pulleys are a huge PITA for the amount of power they may or may not give you.

True dat......but look way cooler than a big a$$ hunk of stock metal. LOL..

Reaper1
04-03-2012, 10:13 PM
I'm game for a stock sized pulley made out of aluminum! *HINT HINT*

wheming
04-04-2012, 09:14 PM

Wow Mike, now I'm catchin crap for keeping a part that already was on Mini?! ;) lol

TurboMinivan
04-04-2012, 10:17 PM
Hi, Wayne! Dempsey Bowling checking in to express my approval of your restoration of Mean Mini. The new paint is beautiful! Please keep the updates coming as the project progresses.

-Dempsey

contraption22
04-04-2012, 11:17 PM
Wow Mike, now I'm catchin crap for keeping a part that already was on Mini?! ;) lol

Hahaha. Didn't mean to sound like I was giving you crap. Just letting you know that I've had negative experiences with underdrive pulleys. Might be fine for a more bare bones car, but I was never satisfied with how my Acclaim charged with headlights and the A/C or defogger on.

Personally, I feel that these are your vehicles now and you should be able to do whatever you like with them. Gus wouldn't have left them as they were forever. You shouldn't feel you have to either.

wheming
04-06-2012, 07:45 PM
Hi, Wayne! Dempsey Bowling checking in to express my approval of your restoration of Mean Mini. The new paint is beautiful! Please keep the updates coming as the project progresses.

-Dempsey

Thanks brother!
It's been a slow process but the guy doing the paint is just doing this as a hobby.
I hopefully will get her back next week and I'll have a full spread of pics to share.
I can't wait to send Dolores and Tanya the finished pics. They are very excited about this also.

wheming
04-06-2012, 08:02 PM
Hahaha. Didn't mean to sound like I was giving you crap. Just letting you know that I've had negative experiences with underdrive pulleys. Might be fine for a more bare bones car, but I was never satisfied with how my Acclaim charged with headlights and the A/C or defogger on.

Personally, I feel that these are your vehicles now and you should be able to do whatever you like with them. Gus wouldn't have left them as they were forever. You shouldn't feel you have to either.

;) I know. Just being playful!

I agree. Normally you don't see much return for the underdrive. But every little bit helps.

I've usually put in neutral and shut off accessories at a stop. And of course it is worse at night. I can deal with it, but still wanted to lighten up electrical load.

And thanks for the support. Believe me i don't want to make big changes. But even small changes get noticed on his cars. They have been studied by so many.
And i remember how Gus used to talk about Louie our mechanic after he got Gus' turbo Mustang. Since Louie proceeded to add interior and change it around.

turbovanmanČ
04-07-2012, 12:48 AM

Yep, 2000 Corolla.

Size has nothing to do with it, :eyebrows: Alternators need rpm to produce power, unless its modified to charge at low rpms.

I'm game for a stock sized pulley made out of aluminum! *HINT HINT*

I tried, I really did, :(

Reeves
04-09-2012, 12:45 PM
Yep, 2000 Corolla.

I used one from a Ford....but had to modify it. Maybe the 2000 Corolla would be better.

wheming
04-13-2012, 11:42 PM
Ok, so I have an update.
I drove Mean Mini for the first time since December, back to the house.
I still have some clean and detail work to do, plus re-install the minimal interior pieces.
Since it looked like we'd complete things today, or enough to go ahead and take delivery of her back, I went and put Slugmobile back on the road.
I dropped her off at the painter for some economy touch-up/repaint. Her clearcoat was peeling on the roof and trunklid.

Anyway if you don't remember, here is Mini when I got her:
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-Pyarh9TacxQ/TNwEtzyQNkI/AAAAAAAAA24/2JfaVo6bhhM/s800/2010-11-11%2009.11.14.jpg

And now
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-tsoWeufdHiQ/T4teJ74HaZI/AAAAAAAABig/kWO9fEvcaJg/s800/2012-04-15%2017.38.03.jpg
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-h3hjGdBB2OM/T4tfAGO5JtI/AAAAAAAABjQ/RDnKZts617Q/s800/2012-04-15%252017.39.24.jpg

Pinstripe and turbo decals to come!

And even added some "luxury"...This is a handy little add-on. Remote rear window actuators! Going to be nice to be able to close those when caught in the rain without having to pull over.
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-dYUOAGRj4aI/T4tdDmCAa0I/AAAAAAAABhg/_ZF4xsdS9Ps/s800/2012-04-15%2016.19.23.jpg
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-cJ1VD3okqOQ/T4toVW4IB-I/AAAAAAAABls/nYzr3EAuO4E/s800/2012-04-14%2018.07.53.jpg

BigAl
04-15-2012, 12:42 AM
Looking good.

wheming
04-15-2012, 08:43 PM
there, updated some pics!

wheming
08-07-2012, 08:56 AM
Well this has basically turned into Slug and Mini's build/rebuild thread so here is some new crap.

To recap, found out in preparation for SDAC 22 that both Slug and Mini have a dead cylinder.
So yesterday i removed the top end off Slug to make removing the engine a bit easier. In all honesty, I have never done that before. I have done once with a buddy about 14 years ago on another car.

In any case everything went well until it was time to lift off. I must be getting old, cause the top end is heavy all by yourself! head/manifolds/turbo and lines... But i got it without dropping!
Put it on the trunk of my Nova to remove the manifolds, but what did i see here...wtf! http://img.tapatalk.com/1888e4c3-0e51-a24f.jpg
There isn't supposed to be a step in the turbine housing... The swingvalve doesn't sit flush...
Better look at the outside... Yup just what i thought...http://img.tapatalk.com/1888e4c3-0ece-6b2e.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/1888e4c3-0eee-cb20.jpg

Well isn't that just lovely. The turbine housing is cracked. Spinning the compressor and checking for shaft play finds that there is some interference at times.

So i guess Slug will be needing a new turbo now. This is the second of Gus' turbos to crack like this. He sent one to Ed Peters like this and was rebuilt/replaced into the super 70.
Not sure yet what I'll do. This is not the super 70, that is on Mini. I think this is just a plain super 60. It has a Turbonetics .63 turbine housing.
I guess now would be a good time to upgrade...

RoadWarrior222
08-07-2012, 10:39 AM
Well I'll say it because everyone thinks I'm a jerk anyway, but when I think you're seeing is a lot of Gus's band-aid chickens coming home to roost. i.e. fast, cheap, reliable, pick any two, and he showed us fast and cheap....innovatively cheap at the time, but still cheap.

wheming
08-07-2012, 11:24 AM
There's no way of knowing how long its been like this.
I don't know if it was a result of anything like that, or from me enjoying the car...too much at times!
It is probably a result of overworking the turbo.

She'll get treated to a rebuilt or new turbo, and rest of the engine too.
Actually when this all gets rebuilt the complete engine will be swapped into Mini along with a fresh tranny, in anticipation of SDAC 23.

RoadWarrior222
08-07-2012, 01:00 PM
Guess it's hard to say for sure really... but anyway, now you can make one of these...

GLHNSLHT2
08-07-2012, 07:42 PM
what's with all the rust up inside the swing valve? looks like the turbo was dumped in bath of salt.

PunKid
08-07-2012, 07:56 PM
It did live in New England,

And I have a spare junk turbo that I think needs to be converted to a TP dispenser

wheming
08-07-2012, 09:12 PM
It has sat for long periods. I've had some things pop up over the years. I think the most it sat was almost a year.

Vigo
08-08-2012, 12:30 PM
The van looks pretty good.

I REALLY want to put those window cranks in mine. I found some in a junkyard and i regret not grabbing them then. I dont know when they stopped using those but im guessing around 1986. :( What year were yours off of?

Any thoughts on why the front bumper is painted but not the back?

RoadWarrior222
08-08-2012, 01:00 PM
My '88 had them my '89 had electric. So I would guess '88 was the last year.

wheming
08-09-2012, 12:23 AM
The donor was an 84 in a local j/y.

We painted a spare front bumper while i was waiting for the original to get refinished. However i found a brand new rear bumper.
It turns out the refinished bumper is too good. It is like show chrome.
And i also decided i like the front bumper painted.
Still thinking about painting up the original rear bumper the same.

wheming
08-19-2012, 05:29 PM
Well Slugmobile's #3 cylinder low compression mystery is solved!
http://img.tapatalk.com/1888e4c3-5a2f-0686.jpg

But the engine is undergoing full rebuild. Hopefully it'll be all ready for SDAC-23! that should give me time to get her back in shape and race tuned and tested.

black86glhs
08-20-2012, 12:29 AM
That sucks, but is better than a melted piston.

wheming
08-20-2012, 09:55 AM
True! Although she is getting all new pistons anyway.

Seemed kind of odd that the middle ring was broken. And that it was just broken in one place.
When i had broke rings in my Spirit i remember several pieces. But can't remember if it was the top or middle or both.

No telling how long it has been like this. She wasn't blowing any oil.

turbovanmanČ
08-21-2012, 04:23 PM
The van looks pretty good.

I REALLY want to put those window cranks in mine. I found some in a junkyard and i regret not grabbing them then. I dont know when they stopped using those but im guessing around 1986. :( What year were yours off of?

Any thoughts on why the front bumper is painted but not the back?

Its the base model, my friends 89 has those as does my customers 88, mines an SE and has the electric versions.

I like the bare finish better on those bumpers, :nod:

True! Although she is getting all new pistons anyway.

Seemed kind of odd that the middle ring was broken. And that it was just broken in one place.
When i had broke rings in my Spirit i remember several pieces. But can't remember if it was the top or middle or both.

No telling how long it has been like this. She wasn't blowing any oil.

Won't burn oil with a broken compression ring, the oil rings do that job, :thumb:

wheming
03-02-2013, 02:07 PM
So I got a package last evening of some of the parts I was waiting for...

The rebuilt Turbo that was on MeanMini, the Ed Peters S70.

My TU cast header, and my Simon & Shayne stainless log header.

Some 3" swingvalves, the TU one and a pair of ATP vband ones.

So just waiting for a couple more pieces then Slug can start getting her top end put back on.

GLHNSLHT2
03-02-2013, 06:17 PM
links no workie :(

wheming
03-02-2013, 09:43 PM

Don't know why tapatalk wouldn't let me edit the post to fix the pics. Oh well here they are.

rx2mazda
03-02-2013, 10:01 PM
NIce! keep the updates coming

black86glhs
03-03-2013, 01:20 AM
Me likey! Parts look so good before they are run. Hey, maybe that's why it has taken so long to get mine.........no......just lazy.:)

wheming
03-03-2013, 05:46 AM
LOL. That's why I left them in the plastic! To preserve the fresh part look! ;)
That TU thermal coating is supposed to hold up good from the sounds of it.
I ordered the TU 3" swingvalve but then decided to use the ATP one like I planned to on Mini. I've got 2 low profile ATP downpipes too.
So that should help out spool time...

Tbird232ci
03-03-2013, 06:39 AM
I can't wait to get my S&S header. The header and manifold are the biggest things holding me up right now.

Can't wait to see them on your rides man.

wheming
03-03-2013, 08:49 AM
Thanks bro. I'm getting excited to see these cars be back and ready for some dragracing as well as local street terrorizing! :D
It will be great to see what they can do all freshened up. Neither car has ever been bored, or had forged pistons. And with everything new going into MeanMini I hope she can do herself and Gus proud.

Here are the new downpipes. One for Slug, one for Mini.
I think I'll get a 3" cutout for Mini as well since right now she has a cat. Haven't decided if it will stay or go. I do have a complete 3" TU van exhaust to go on.

wheming
03-03-2013, 08:55 AM
I can't wait to get my S&S header. The header and manifold are the biggest things holding me up right now.

Can't wait to see them on your rides man.

You are getting an S&S modified intake as well you mean?

I'll be curious to see how things go with just the stock 1 piece on Slug. It was already good enough for 12.2's. Mini's manifold got a bit of attention, but the internal problem areas can only be addressed by cutting open like Shayne does.

I might want to go that route at some point in the future, if I find it is becoming limiting factor.

contraption22
03-03-2013, 09:47 AM
It's just about as good as it gets when fresh parts show up at your door.

Tbird232ci
03-03-2013, 04:57 PM
You are getting an S&S modified intake as well you mean?

I'll be curious to see how things go with just the stock 1 piece on Slug. It was already good enough for 12.2's. Mini's manifold got a bit of attention, but the internal problem areas can only be addressed by cutting open like Shayne does.

I might want to go that route at some point in the future, if I find it is becoming limiting factor.

Yeah, they're hacking up a 1pc for me. I know I could run the numbers I want with a stock 1pc, but I know I would regret not doing the manifold and header at the same time as doing a headgasket. I'm aiming for the low 12's myself, and while it's much easier in an L-body, I don't really want to have to breath too hard on it. I've run high boost numbers to run mediocre times and it felt like a lot of abuse for little gain.

cordes
03-03-2013, 11:22 PM
I can't wait to see how your down pipe setup comes along. I'm thinking about trying to do the same before SDAC.

wheming
03-04-2013, 09:48 PM
I should have plenty of room on Slug since no power steering.
And on Mini with the TU header, that should move things over enough to have plenty of room.
The bad part is going to be having to drive somewhere with open downpipe to get the vband ferrell welded on.

Reeves
03-06-2013, 10:58 AM
IF those are the low profile downpipes from ATP turbo, you'll most likely have to modify them to work. The don't really point the right way to get in the exhaust tunnel.

wheming
03-06-2013, 11:17 AM
Great. :(
I was worried the O2 sensor placements would be a problem. But I hoped it would have enough to get into the tunnel on Slug.

Is the problem that it needs more curve?
I'll haven't mocked up for any measurements yet. I guess that will be today's project.

wheming
03-10-2013, 08:41 PM
Worked on assembling my intake and exhaust and coupling to Slug's rebuilt head.
Got the intake assembled, that was easy...
Got out the S&S stainless log header to check fitment. It was close, but one bolt hole was off a bit on #1. 44353
And as long as I had to bust out the dremel to clearance that bolt hole a bit, I figured I would use up a few bits to smooth out some welds and some sharp edges on the flanges.

Should have got some before pics. It wasn't bad, but figured anything I did should be better than nothing.
I had to grind down 3 nuts (the built in flange on the bottom of the nut) for some tight fit areas but I didn't feel that was too bad.
The header appears to have the Turbo in the stock spot, but somehow my stainless cooling return line is short now by about 3/4-1". It was a super tight fit before, there was absolutely no extra give in the line previously with the stock exhaust manifold. I'll see if I can get one made local at the Parker fittings store.
I would have got further but I need a bottom tap to chase the swingvalve threads. Some of the threads don't look too good right now, but we'll see what they look like after I chase them.
I ran out of light, so this isn't how I ended:
I've got the fittings in the turbo cartridge too, and then the cooling water line issue.

I'll try to get this finished up later this week on my days off. But I'll still need to deal with getting the exhaust welded and/or modified to fit the ATP low profile downpipe.
Will be nice to be driving Slug around again!
Then I'll have to gear up and ready myself to get Mini together.

wheming
03-10-2013, 08:46 PM
IF those are the low profile downpipes from ATP turbo, you'll most likely have to modify them to work. The don't really point the right way to get in the exhaust tunnel.

Do you have any pics of what needed doing?

GLHNSLHT2
03-10-2013, 08:56 PM
is that a .48 housing? gonna run it cracked like that?

cordes
03-10-2013, 09:14 PM
I'll be really interested to see the outcome of this. That one piece is going to be begging for mercy with how well the exhaust should flow.

wheming
03-10-2013, 09:54 PM
is that a .48 housing? gonna run it cracked like that?

Yes its a .48 housing with clipped turbine.
The rebuild reused this housing, and I trust their judgement and their 2 yr warranty.

wheming
03-10-2013, 09:58 PM
I'll be really interested to see the outcome of this. That one piece is going to be begging for mercy with how well the exhaust should flow.

You and me both! Hopefully she'll be capable of beating her 12.25's.
And I've always heard the one piece flows great at 30 psi....
:D

wheming
03-14-2013, 08:25 PM
So I got surprised with my replacement turbine housing being delivered today instead of tomorrow as expected. Express mail is the shizzle! (sorry ;) )
So I figured I'd do this:

I did find something unexpected when I removed the turbo to swap housings, the header flange (or the turbine housing, or both) doesn't appear to be true. With the bolts welded at the top, it will make getting planed impossible.

When attaching the ATP swingvalve after mounting the turbo to the header, one bolt was impossible to tighten (I just found a reason to buy crow's feet wrenches).
So looks like I'll have to unbolt the turbo again or get those. If i do unbolt again, I can then check to make sure I built up enough layers of copper spray gasket to seal that flange. It squeezed out on the bottom but didn't squeeze out at those points on the sides. But I really don't want to take it off again.

wheming
03-14-2013, 08:46 PM
That's how I ended up. Got my new longer cooling water return line installed, installed the oil supply line, installed the wastegate actuator, and the swing valve housing.

GLHNSLHT2
03-14-2013, 09:27 PM
unfortunately it's not surprising the flange is warped with all that welding. I would think they would of planed it before welding the studs in. I'm not sure why you'd want studs welded in anyways. I'd be wanting to check the head flange as well.

wheming
03-14-2013, 09:45 PM
I sat the header up on the head and checked that flange.
It seemed to be good. But I will admit I didn't look at it with scrutiny. I guess we will see how things go.
I'm going to give some feedback to Simon and some recommendations for further generations of the log header.

turboboostman2
03-15-2013, 03:43 PM
glad to see these to cars around, gary s donavin, cliff sebring GUS and many of you guys on here inspired me to get into turbo dodge's.

wayne i remember gary s donavin had a link to your 91 spirit what ever happend to that? your cars are badass

wheming
03-15-2013, 04:02 PM
My old webpage is no longer around since getting high speed internet. I need to see about restoring those old pages with my new provider, and maybe even making some new pages.
My pages were primitive internet wise since I'm not a computer guy.
I still have everything saved though.
By what folks are doing with their cars today, these old girls I have are a bit long in the tooth... ;)
But they can still surprise some folks.
Thanks for the kind words! :thumbup:

wheming
03-16-2013, 04:54 PM
Well, here is where I'm at with Slug so far. Cometic with light spray copper, torqued to factory specs with new FM Mahle headbolts.
Fiddling with all the little bits and stuff now, have to change out some heater hose while I have room to work. Goobered up one brass fitting for the turbo oil supply line... snapped off and threads were stuck on the oil block. But the line threaded in so hopefully it'll be fine.
Start of the day:

And, as it stands right now...

More to come after I recharge with some food...

wheming
03-16-2013, 08:04 PM
Not quite ready to start, but getting closer.
Lots more little stuff to do yet.
I need to get under and see how bad this ATP downpipe is. The mock up off the car did show it to be further to the passenger side than I was hoping. I guess if it is too bad I might need to get something else made, or I may have to use my TU 3" swingvalve.

Anyway here is as far as I got before daylight dwindled ....

cordes
03-17-2013, 10:39 PM
Thanks for the updates. I do appreciate you documenting this as I'm interested in those ATP SVs too.

wheming
03-17-2013, 11:36 PM
Your welcome Cordes. I'm documenting for me too! Since in a few more years I probably wont even remember working on her!

The next update will probably include taking the installed headgasket back out...:(
That story is in another post.

As far as the ATP part, I was researching Pat's experience with installing and seeing his downpipe.
Yes, the ATP downpipe appears will need some modifying.

wheming
03-20-2013, 08:38 AM
Seems like deja vu, but here is Slug again, a little further than last time.
Went to install my new upper Rad hose and found out it was wrong, so had to order another. Today I'll work on reinstalling all my turbo piping after I give her some oil and prime everything, that will be good to check for oil leaks before starting her anyway.
I looked at the downpipe situation and really that ATP one isn't even close. Where it ended up was way over to the passenger side wedged in the corner made between the body and the k-frame. I'll have to order up some bends. I wish I had (or was) a welder. But on MeanMini I'm hopefull that piece will work since the TU header will put the turbo over like 3 or so inches.

wheming
03-20-2013, 11:15 PM
Well had some stumbling spots today but got through it. That goobered up fitting on the turbo oil supply came back to haunt me....it leaked when priming before installing the timing belt. Got through it by relocating the oil supply line to a different port. And got a flare plug for the intended port. ( I couldn't get the proper bushing to replace the broken fitting.)

I did get the timing belt, pulleys, and alt belt installed, oil, primed, and the proper upper radiator hose I had to reorder yesterday. I started on the turbo piping but light was dwindling.

Next up is the turbo plumbing.

wheming
03-21-2013, 07:44 PM
Well you know you own a turbo-mopar when....just when you think you are done, something else breaks!
I thought I was done, and started adding coolant when I noticed a little drip under one of the hoses. No problem, I'll just tighten her up....then SNAP... damn plastic heater valve nipple broke! But, luckily I had one from when I wanted to tackle it last year and didn't. So I got the new heater valve and new heater hoses installed to the heater core.
Oh, and preceding all that, I did finish installing my intercooler piping.
I have one bolt I need to tackle for the turbo support brace. That I am hoping if I shorten a bolt I have I can sneak it in without having to take the axle out. But I'm not sure.

Then I will connect up the ATP downpipe with an O2 sensor installed so I can put some fire in her. She's already all wet, with oil and coolant. So she is pretty much ready to start!

Reaper1
03-21-2013, 08:28 PM
I got rid of that stupid valve on my car. I was sick of dealing with it. Only issue is that there is always a little heat coming out of the vents. No problem in the Pacific NW. Kind of an issue in FL, but good working A/C can overcome it.

wheming
03-21-2013, 09:16 PM
Unfortunately no a/c on Slug. Gus had removed, and that was fine for CT, but not so much here in NC. :(

GLHNSLHT2
03-21-2013, 11:02 PM
I don't know what to say about under the hood of that car. Gus went damn fast in it I know but but I just don't know.

wheming
03-21-2013, 11:31 PM
And I have gone to great lengths to keep it looking the same way. I even installed a new wire nut to replace a missing one today.
I had made some changes, but I decided to go back to restore her original type appearance. The 1 piece, the valvecover, and the intercooler pipes have all been glassbeaded and left natural, so they will take on a natural crappy appearance eventually.
Just like Gus would have had her.

wheming
03-21-2013, 11:44 PM
By the way, this is pretty much exactly what she looked like under the Hood when I got her. I tried to find my first pics I took when I got her back in 2003, but I couldn't find any engine pics. But I think the only thing different in this pics is a new coil and the alt.
Not much different, but bonus points to whoever can spot what is different...

Before messing with anything under the Hood I took some pics back in '07-'08, to help remember the wiring and stuff. In looking at them I recognized a wire that is now disconnected for one of the boost solenoids, so I'll get that corrected. Having some good pics is vital with something like this!

wheming
03-22-2013, 04:34 PM
Just started Slug for the first time since rebuild.
Got a oil drip from the rear cam seal, and another which looks like from between engine and trans. I remain hopeful it is something other than the rear main.
Need to run her again and put the timing light on her, so we'll see what I can determine.

speedfreek500
03-22-2013, 06:04 PM
Congrats on hearing her run again!!

I hope the oil leak is not a major problem for ya, I Had delt with the same thing on my engine build but it was the front crank seal leaking.

contraption22
03-22-2013, 08:16 PM
Just started Slug for the first time since rebuild.
Got a oil drip from the rear cam seal, and another which looks like from between engine and trans. I remain hopeful it is something other than the rear main.
Need to run her again and put the timing light on her, so we'll see what I can determine.

I once had a rear main leak that I think was caused by me not prelubing the seal when I installed it. It wasn't bad enough to need immediate attention, so the next time i took the trans down, i replaced the seal being sure to lube it, and it didn't return.

wheming
03-22-2013, 08:25 PM
I was not the rebuilder, however the person who was is a longtime mechanic and trusted friend (and fwd mopar guy). I'm not sure what happened.
I've never had done one, and I was quite happy with that record!

GLHNSLHT2
03-22-2013, 09:23 PM
it can happen to anyone, my rear main seal retainer was cracked and I couldn't see it. allowed the seal to spin with the crank and leak. That sucked to have to pull the engine again. I always loctite the outside on them from now on.

Reaper1
03-22-2013, 09:45 PM
I see a new transmission filter, there are new fuel line fittings on the passenger side, new radiator, reworked intercooler pipes (you had said something about going to aluminum in the past), new fuel filter, other than those and things just being cleaner....I dunno

It's great to hear she's running again! I don't think I'm alone in saying that we need video (with sound)!!!!

wheming
03-23-2013, 12:39 AM
Does anyone have the 89 FSM that can scan me the rear main seal replacement instructions?
I need to see just how bad this will be...

86Shelby
03-23-2013, 01:40 AM
I don't have the FSM. The simplified breakdown is to:
Remove the axles,
Unbolt the flexplate from the converter
Pull the trans,
Unbolt the flexplate from the crankshaft
Pull/pry out the seal
Tap in the new seal
Reassemble.

wheming
03-23-2013, 02:10 AM
!M.F.!
:banghead:
That sounds lovely. I just can't catch any sort of break.

If this works, here's what I mean:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLxh4pN8-EE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

And since that worked and I finally have an official YouTube channel...
You can see her start for the first time.
The day before I primed her with an air ratchet on the intermediate shaft as someone mentioned.
Before going for a start I turned her over with no plugs to prime her again (and injectors unplugged and fuel pump unplugged).
I should have primed the fuel pump more.
Maybe I messed the seal up by not having her fire right up?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmVYtx6vt64&feature=youtube_gdata_player

GLHNSLHT2
03-23-2013, 11:59 AM
http://youtu.be/KLxh4pN8-EE

That's a pretty serious leak. If you can get the lower inspection cover off the trans, and put something up to direct the oil away from just dripping straight down you can slide under the car and while it's running see if the seal is spinning with the crank shaft or just leaking between the seal and the crank. But it looks like it needs to come out and be carefully inspected IMO.

http://youtu.be/vmVYtx6vt64

Why didn't it start up right away?

wheming
03-23-2013, 12:21 PM
It has not been running for like 6 months or more, and I didn't prime the fuel pump enough times.
I might look at her again today but I'm so disgusted right now I think I need a break.
And, when I think about it I still have Mini's engine and transmission to remove and seperate so I can install the rebuilt short block and new trans. And I'm still waiting for the rest of my parts to come in before Mini's top end can be assembled.

After figuring out 0.084" is too thick for the Cometic gaskets I ordered, I'm going to now have to get a 0.065". But these ones I bought maybe I can sell one to someone with a shaved head ( not a skinhead though)((although there is nothing wrong with skinheads, no offense intended)).

wheming
03-23-2013, 01:04 PM
Uploaded a bunch of new pics to Slug's album.
This should work:
https://picasaweb.google.com/w.heming/Slugmobile

Reaper1
03-23-2013, 01:12 PM
That little bit of cranking wouldn't have hurt the seal unless the seal was messed up, or there was something catching on it from the crank, or as suggested, there is something wrong with the retainer.

It's hard to tell from the video, and I know new oil is much lighter than old oil, but that looks like water to me. Are you sure it's oil?

wheming
03-23-2013, 01:43 PM
Oh yes it is oil. :(

Reaper1
03-24-2013, 02:14 AM
:( Sorry to hear that. Something else I've heard people having issues with is an oil galley plug that is behind the flywheel. I'd be sure the check that and make sure that isn't the true culprit of your problem.

wheming
03-24-2013, 07:39 AM
Anyone have a pic or diagram of this so I can possibly see that before decoupling the trans?

The other thing I was thinking although I don't think its an issue is, I have 6 qts of oil in her and she is up on jackstands. I'm using a Ford filter which holds practically an entire qt and there are no balance shafts, so I don't think the oil level is up to the seal, but I guess I need some affirmation. I thought I have started her in the past on stands and never ran into this.

Also does anyone know if with the top two bellhousing bolts as long pins (made from 6-7" long bolts with no head) if there would be enough room to change the seal? I guess with the fuss, it might be easier to drop the trans all the way down, but usually trying to get everything lined up reinstalling is a bigger with only the equipment I have.
I don't know when I'll tackle this. I guess I need to order a seal kit.
Are the Victor Rienz kits a good idea, or only go with Mopar?

GLHNSLHT2
03-24-2013, 10:59 AM
I usually only go Mopar with that seal. It's an Automatic right? Just pull the engine IMO. Then you can inspect the seal and the oil galley plug.

Pat
03-24-2013, 11:09 AM
I would probably just pull the motor as mentioned above and get a look at the seal and the plug. By the time you pull the trans, remove the pan on your back and then screw with the seal and plug while sqeezing yourself in there, you would have pulled the motor, fixed it and had it back in.

wheming
03-24-2013, 11:41 AM
Wow, you give me way too much credit Pat! But thanks! :)
I have to do this without a shop, lift, or engine hoist. Pulling the trans almost sounds easier to me, but I wish I had to do neither.
But are you talking taking it out entirely, or uncoupling and just raising up in the engine bay to get access to the seal?
Its crap like this that makes me wish I was 15 years younger again! And its only going to get worse...

black86glhs
03-24-2013, 12:51 PM
Wow, you give me way too much credit Pat! But thanks! :)
I have to do this without a shop, lift, or engine hoist. Pulling the trans almost sounds easier to me, but I wish I had to do neither.
But are you talking taking it out entirely, or uncoupling and just raising up in the engine bay to get access to the seal?
Its crap like this that makes me wish I was 15 years younger again! And its only going to get worse...

I wish the same thing sometimes....lol. Drop the trans and do it since no hoist. That is your best bet.

speedfreek500
03-24-2013, 03:02 PM
Hey just had a quick question, Did you install the bolt on the left side of the head near the bottom where the oil gallery is? I had that happen to a few years ago, Installed a new bolt with blue loctite on it and no more leak from there. I will try and find a pic for you.

speedfreek500
03-24-2013, 03:08 PM

wheming
03-24-2013, 04:21 PM
Hey just had a quick question, Did you install the bolt on the left side of the head near the bottom where the oil gallery is? I had that happen to a few years ago, Installed a new bolt with blue loctite on it and no more leak from there. I will try and find a pic for you.

That bolt was thread sealed and installed. Nothing leaking from there.

I do need to fix a small leak at that rear cam seal. But its not bad enough to cause all the leaking below. I shoved some rags to stop it up and oil was still steady below. But I do want to stop it first.
When replacing that seal, can I just loosen or remove that one cam bearing cap? Or do I have to untorque the entire cam? Torquing the cam down you are supposed to start from the rear and move forward, right? I've never removed a cam either, although I know it is simple, I just haven't any manuals yet. I really should find a set!

GLHNSLHT2
03-24-2013, 08:58 PM
I slowly work around all the bolts on the cam loosening the tightest ones just a bit as the valves push up on the lobes different and you want to have the cam lift up without bending.

Aries_Turbo
03-26-2013, 06:17 PM
if you have one of those valve compressor tools that hooks on the cams, you could just compress the valves and remove the rockers between the towers at the end that you are removing. then remove the end tower and reseal, recompress the valve springs and put the rockers back in.

Brian

wheming
03-26-2013, 07:24 PM
No I don't have anything that fancy.
Do they have at Harbor Freight? Sounds like it could be a good idea.

cordes
03-28-2013, 09:20 AM
No I don't have anything that fancy.
Do they have at Harbor Freight? Sounds like it could be a good idea.

I'll try to dig up a link for you. They've become a little hard to find the last couple of times I've looked them up for folks though.

---------- Post added at 08:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:15 AM ----------

K-D tools #8037

is what you're looking for I believe. I'll try to actually find one for sale.

wheming
03-28-2013, 02:11 PM
Thanks Brian!
I'll try to check it out when I have some time. Maybe tonight.

Aries_Turbo
03-28-2013, 02:38 PM
yeah thats the tool that i have. its wonderful.

Brian

GLHNSLHT2
03-28-2013, 06:59 PM
a 10" long 1/2 drive extension is plenty long to push the stock valve springs down with one hand and pull the rockers out with the other by carefully prying between the cam lobes.

wheming
03-28-2013, 08:51 PM
Wow, I can't find that tool anywhere! This is really going to take some digging...

cordes
03-28-2013, 10:12 PM
Wow, I can't find that tool anywhere! This is really going to take some digging...

Yeah, I searched earlier for a bit with no luck. There must be something out there though?

Vigo
03-28-2013, 10:40 PM
http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=44523&d=1364152125

That motor looks familiar.... and so does that carport..

Ive taken rockers out with just a large screwdriver. It's trickier to put them back in but if you are creative it doesnt require very 'special' tools.

wheming
03-28-2013, 11:02 PM
I'm going to look at it in the morning and see if I can pop them out easily on #4. Then change out the cam seal. Maybe they [roller followers] will be easy to pop out since it hasn't been started in about a week.

83scamp
03-29-2013, 10:20 AM
I'm going to look at it in the morning and see if I can pop them out easily on #4. Then change out the cam seal. Maybe they [roller followers] will be easy to pop out since it hasn't been started in about a week.

Why are you loosening the cam cap to replace the back seal? A small screw driver will let you pop out the seal, and then use a large socket to drive in a new plug. That's what I did last summer on mine. The rear cam seal was leaking pretty good. Popped it out, and drove in a newer style plug, all is good.:)

wheming
03-29-2013, 01:47 PM
Just to make sure there are no other issues causing the oil leak there.
I popped it out and cleaned and reinstalled with a bit of rtv silicone.
We'll see if that takes care of that leak. Going to try a restart anyway to try and get a better look at the other leak.

wheming
03-30-2013, 03:48 PM
I think it could be the bolt holding the upper shield that is behind the flexplate.
The oil looks like it originated there.
The rear main seal looks dry.
That little bolt is right close to the oil galley so I guess that was it.
That was a lot of oil to be pushing through threads though.

wheming
03-30-2013, 04:24 PM
On closer inspection it looks like it could be that oil galley plug.
Going to see if I can get one from CARQUEST.
Looks like it measured about 0.620"

Now, how the heck do I get that plug out without goobering up the hole???

Reaper1
03-30-2013, 06:17 PM
Use a brass drift and knock it sideways, then yank it out with needlenose pliers or needlenose Visegrips.

black86glhs
03-30-2013, 07:51 PM
Use a brass drift and knock it sideways, then yank it out with needlenose pliers or needlenose Visegrips.This or screwdriver. It will poke a hole in it and you can pry it out.

Aries_Turbo
03-30-2013, 11:36 PM
my machinist tapped those holes and installed threaded plugs with sealer. of course you have to make sure you dont install them too far and block oil holes that are close to the end of the gallery.

just in case you cant get those press in plugs to seal...

Brian

wheming
03-30-2013, 11:56 PM
my machinist tapped those holes and installed threaded plugs with sealer. of course you have to make sure you dont install them too far and block oil holes that are close to the end of the gallery.

just in case you cant get those press in plugs to seal...

Brian

That's what I think they *should be*!
I wish I would have known, I would have requested that hole tapped.

wheming
03-31-2013, 12:01 AM
So this is what else I found...
Problem was there were some grooves in the hole, and that might have been the source of the leaking.
I cleaned up the hole with some Emory cloth and got some plugs from the local parts store. The oversize one was too big 49/64" and the 5/8" was loose.
I ended up trying to expand the 5/8" plug a bit, then using some JB Weld. I know, I know...
But I hope it fixes it.
Its all back together now. Just need to put my intercooler pipes back on and a couple tidbits. I'll make sure to give that epoxy plenty of time to dry before trying it. I hope it is sealed!
Finally got in the house after 10pm.
I feel like I was run over by Slug...

wheming
04-01-2013, 06:50 PM
Well I think the JB welded oil galley plug has fixed the leak. It is going to be a pain in the b@lls down the road though if it starts leaking. But I've had some JB weld on stuff for 15 years so hopefully it holds.

The cam seal is still weeping so I guess I'll pop that out tomorrow and install the new seal afterall. Hopefully fix that, and that will pretty much be the last of the leaks.

The next obstacle is the custom downpipe. And attaching to the rest of the exhaust.

black86glhs
04-01-2013, 08:19 PM
Well I think the JB welded oil galley plug has fixed the leak. It is going to be a pain in the b@lls down the road though if it starts leaking. But I've had some JB weld on stuff for 15 years so hopefully it holds.

The cam seal is still weeping so I guess I'll pop that out tomorrow and install the new seal afterall. Hopefully fix that, and that will pretty much be the last of the leaks.

The next obstacle is the custom downpipe. And attaching to the rest of the exhaust.

I'm in the same boat when it comes to the exhaust DP. Need to get a couple warm days and motivation to go see what I need to do next.

wheming
04-01-2013, 08:40 PM
Got a video update.
This is the way she sits right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXKynrn9UCM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

omni_840
04-01-2013, 10:34 PM
The video is set to private, good work so far:)

Reaper1
04-01-2013, 11:29 PM
:( Can't watch the video!

wheming
04-02-2013, 07:11 AM
Whoopsy... thought I set to anyone with link. Should be OK now.
The video sounds a bit funny since I had to convert the vid to reduce the file size a bit.

Thanks, its been a long road but I see a glimmer at the end of the tunnel. Found a nail in one of my tires yesterday too. So I'll try to get that and the cam seal done today.
And I need to order a wideband for her and Mini, so I'll have them whenever I am ready to try computer flashes.

I'll need to get started on MeanMini if I have any hope of completing and being together for SDAC. Have to do her engine, trans, new conv and gas tank, pump and some partial fuel lines. And still waiting on some parts...
I'll be glad when this is all over!

86Shelby
04-02-2013, 06:05 PM
For the rear cam seal, use anaerobic sealer instead of RTV. Pop just that cam cap off, clean the surfaces real well with brakecleaner and a new razorblade. Put a small line of sealer(1/16" diameter or so) on the head surface where the cam cap installs so that oil won't leak out between the two. Put the sealer around the outside surface of the seal. Install the seal so that the outside edge of the seal is even with the chamfer of the hole and put the cam cap back on.