PDA

View Full Version : Intro and Update: Slugmobile and Mean Mini! (long read, but worth it)

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

turboshelbys
05-06-2018, 02:26 PM
Depending when you're ready Wayne, I might be able to come down and help you. let me know what weekend would work best. What's the closest airport if I don't drive(about 12hrs)?

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

wheming
05-06-2018, 06:01 PM
Depending when you're ready Wayne, I might be able to come down and help you. let me know what weekend would work best. What's the closest airport if I don't drive(about 12hrs)?

The closest is RDU (Raleigh/Durham International ). I can make it there in about 35mins with light traffic.
That would be cool Stefan. But I know its not ideal thing to ask. Of course you can stay here, if it worked out. I'l let you know!

I packaged up the diff to go back to Peloquins, and the torque converter to go back to PTC.
I still haven't heard back from John Donato on the pricing of the billet input shafts. I'm confident it will work out, but i would feel better abouy modifying the torque converter if the billet input shafts were in the process of being built, not just where we are right now.

Turnaround on the converter was supposed to be 2-3 weeks.
Turnaround on the Peloquin diff reconditioning, should be way less than that.
I have no clue what the build time for the billet input shafts is supposed to be. But after I receive mine, then i need to ride to PA and pick up a spare trans, and have this one swapped and put back together.

Add all that up, and I'll be wrenching just before SDAC, or possibly during SDAC. We'll see how it all shapes up.

I could save some time by not changing my converter, and not installing the billet input right now.
But, I would still need to ride to PA to get the new trans, and drop this partially disassembled one off.

If I chose that, I could be ready much sooner.

wheming
05-09-2018, 07:13 PM
So, if anyone wanted to know how you ruin a Peloquin LSD, I found out.
You break an axle off inside it that cannot be removed...
12 Ton press still couldn't even budge the piece!

Gary Peloquin said he could recondition, but it would take replacing the cover (the ring gear side with the broken piece inside) and a bunch of work to clean up the planetaries and insides because of the number of bits floating around inside.

In other news, I think we have a path forward to potentially make SDAC28, (but making SDAC is still not definite).
We will put things back together with a new rebuilt A413, and retain the stock input shaft. So that also means no changes to the existing PTC converter.
Hopefully it can get back together in time to get some testing before SDAC.

Shadow
05-09-2018, 11:10 PM
Nuts! Glad I didn't encourage you to just keep Banging on it!! :faint:

wowzer
05-09-2018, 11:12 PM
In other news, I think we have a path forward to potentially make SDAC28, (but making SDAC is still not definite).
We will put things back together with a new rebuilt A413, and retain the stock input shaft. So that also means no changes to the existing PTC converter.
Hopefully it can get back together in time to get some testing before SDAC.

counting on you being there :-) ....................

wheming
05-09-2018, 11:27 PM
Nuts! Glad I didn't encourage you to just keep Banging on it!! :faint:

I know! I knew it wasn't moving. And I wasn't joking when I said I was hitting it good!

counting on you being there :-) ....................

I'm going to do everything I can. But it might be hard to get some help with everyone tidying up stuff just before SDAC. Stefan generously offered to help. We'll see if it will work out. I sure hope so!

Dr. Johny Dodge
05-09-2018, 11:35 PM
I can't help but think you have some impressive art for the mantle over the fireplace now ..

seriously..

wheming
05-09-2018, 11:45 PM
I can't help but think you have some impressive art for the mantle over the fireplace now ..

seriously..

Janet doesn't like my new parts in the spare bedroom we are using for storage. You really think she'll let me keep broken parts on the mantle?
Yeah, right! Right next to the wedding photos! Lol.
I keep my broken parts out in the garage. I think I'm going to need a bigger box though...

Reaper1
05-10-2018, 02:26 PM
Looks like it started to strip the splines out in the case as well, so basically it twisted together.

cordes
05-10-2018, 10:19 PM
With some heat, I would think it would press out with no problem.

Reaper1
05-11-2018, 02:27 PM
With some heat, I would think it would press out with no problem.

Just from the pictures and the description, I honestly don't think so. Both materials would expand about the same and because of the mode of failure it might lock it together worse.

Personally I would try: liquid nitrogen on the broken stub to see if I could get it to shatter, drill/tap reverse threads into it and use an impact to try and shock it loose the opposite direction, use a drill press/mill and just start hogging that stub out of it.

The thing is, there's no guarantee that the splines aren't hurt in the case as well, which I bet they are.

wheming
05-11-2018, 07:49 PM
I think that is a lot of trouble, just to find out it is still not usable.
I'm confident Mr. Peloquin did what he was comfortable with before abandoning trying to salvage that piece.
I wanted to ask him if the one gear with the splines ("sun" gear?) if the piece was stuck in it too. I guess it must be, or he would have pictured it out.
But that broken piece of axle spline did move when i hit it from the other side (through the diff). So maybe he just took the pic once he first took apart.

wheming
05-21-2018, 07:10 PM
Got a call from Gary Peloquin today. My reconditioned diff is being shipped, as well as my broken bits.

Also, my brother Dan offered to help on his days off. So we'll probably have the trans in Weds evening. Or Thursday morning. He'll probably need a bit of rest before diving in.
And ordered a transmission test gauge from Amazon.

Aries_Turbo
05-21-2018, 08:15 PM
good to hear :)

cordes
05-21-2018, 08:50 PM
Link to gauge please? I should really buy one.

wheming
05-21-2018, 09:43 PM
Link to gauge please? I should really buy one.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F32 3259222844

I bought from Amazon for a few dollars more because i wanted to be sure i had it for Weds.
But the ebay one is the identical part.

cordes
05-21-2018, 09:52 PM
Thanks a ton for the link. I should pick one up.

2.216VTurbo
05-21-2018, 10:24 PM
I grabbed one, Woody has a new more serious motor being assembled and will probably see a few track days this year. I'm not much of a drag race guy but Auto Club Speedway installed lights this past winter and is doing 30 Friday nights this year. I can get more into night races at the drags, IMO it seems more social, there's a cooler with ice and beverages, you know Friday night kinda stuff:eyebrows:

wheming
05-21-2018, 11:04 PM
Nice. You're welcome guys! ;)

wheming
05-24-2018, 10:09 AM
Ok, we better get cracking...
Dan wants to go to Test&Tune tonight...

turboshelbys
05-24-2018, 10:45 AM
Good luck my friend!!!

Shadow
05-24-2018, 11:11 AM
Like the turn around time! Don't forget to cross T's and dot I's!!!!!!;);)

Aries_Turbo
05-24-2018, 09:52 PM
"get your --- in there transmission!" (small kick to get it motivated!)

wheming
05-25-2018, 02:48 AM
Well, came un the house for quits at around 2130. We did break for lunch just after the trans was bolted to the engine.
It was a pain, even with help. The last trans I installed was back around 2012 when i put a rebuilt engine and rebuilt trans in Slug. And, I made the same mistake this time as then...
Two clunks, but forgot about the 3rd clunk for the torque converter.
Luckily we didn't have to take it back down to get the converter parked all the way in the trans.

So, we have the trans in, axles in, wheels on, turbo pipes on, all cables and hoses, trans cooler lines and the trans line pressure line in place.

Tomorrow or this weekend need to look things all over again in daylight, plug in my neutral safety switch, fill the trans fluid, and get the air out, check pressure, torque front wheels,
And give her a test ride.
Was too dark to take pics, so I'll grab some later in the light.

Shadow
05-25-2018, 10:11 AM
:thumb:

turboshelbys
05-25-2018, 02:09 PM
Whoohoo

wheming
05-26-2018, 05:03 PM
Found some odds and ends that got messed up or put back wrong. Like now my throttle cable routing is different, a wire got pulled out of a solderless crimp connector, etc.
I added 1 gal of trans fluid and started her up. And the best part, no leaks!
I know the trans fluid is still probably low, but it is still on stands and i didn't want to overfill. I did prefill the torque converter as much as i could before install.

But, I had done other work around here before that so I didn't have much energy.
I'll need to drop her down and get the fluid level right, then raise back up.
I'll need to take a wheel back off to replace the inner fender cover on the trans side, and might just put the other side back on.

Should be able to go for a drive soon!

turboshelbys
05-26-2018, 05:29 PM
Found some odds and ends that got messed up or put back wrong. Like now my throttle cable routing is different, a wire got pulled out of a solderless crimp connector, etc.
I added 1 gal of trans fluid and started her up. And the best part, no leaks!
I know the trans fluid is still probably low, but it is still on stands and i didn't want to overfill. I did prefill the torque converter as much as i could before install.

But, I had done other work around here before that so I didn't have much energy.
I'll need to drop her down and get the fluid level right, then raise back up.
I'll need to take a wheel back off to replace the inner fender cover on the trans side, and might just put the other side back on.

Should be able to go for a drive soon!That's great news Wayne!!!

Aries_Turbo
05-26-2018, 11:59 PM
nice job.

when you dont have a ton of time, small setbacks are the worst lol. like 8 year delay worst for me lol.

take your time. :) youll be fine.

Brian

wheming
05-27-2018, 08:48 AM
If it wasn't for my brother Dan offering and coming down to help, I never would have got this far in this time. So that was a huge help. At least what is left is easy, just need the time.

wheming
06-01-2018, 10:45 PM
Ok, today I think i can say I finally closed out this latest chapter in MeanMini's saga..
Back on her own four wheels, instead of jackstands.
I finally took her for an inspection, because it came due while she was broken. Ran pretty good, but that was her test ride so i took it very easy.

But with the heat today I think i will try changing out my modified water pump. I think with the underdrive puley and the modified pump, i might have shorted myself too much flow at idle. It takes too long to cool down when over the tstat temp even with the fan on.
Also i still need to change the timing belt because it keeps wanting to tighten when warm. It has been weird ever since the intermediate shaft gear loosened and walked off into the A/C bracket.
And I have new struts to go in and all new brakes too.

Shadow
06-02-2018, 11:25 AM
Nice to see you Turn that page! :clap:

wheming
06-02-2018, 05:30 PM
Nice to see you Turn that page! :clap:

Thanks Rob!
I'm still a long way away from where i wanted to be by this time this year. That failure really set me back, as well as dealing with my poor wife's medical issues.

I wanted to have my re-tune from scratch competed as well as these suspension mods, and brake rework, and fuel system mods... and the list goes on.
Now the heat and humidity of summer here in NC is in full swing, and I don't even think I'm going to make SDAC because of the home situation...

Force Fed Mopar
06-02-2018, 10:33 PM
I'm not gonna make SDAC either, due to trying to catch up from being out of work for a few months with the surgery.

Shadow
06-03-2018, 11:08 AM
Thanks Rob!
I'm still a long way away from where i wanted to be by this time this year. That failure really set me back, as well as dealing with my poor wife's medical issues.

I wanted to have my re-tune from scratch competed as well as these suspension mods, and brake rework, and fuel system mods... and the list goes on.
Now the heat and humidity of summer here in NC is in full swing, and I don't even think I'm going to make SDAC because of the home situation...

This is always how it was with the Charger. No matter how well things seemed to go as far as what was accomplished it was never in the vicinity of what I wanted to get done on the car.

Always several things left off the list and always delays in time it took to get to where we were going.

Now that we've taken a break I had hoped to do all of those things and more before she runs again (at the track). We'll see how that goes because 6 years this fall and I haven't done a thing yet.......

wheming
06-03-2018, 12:34 PM
This is always how it was with the Charger. No matter how well things seemed to go as far as what was accomplished it was never in the vicinity of what I wanted to get done on the car.

Always several things left off the list and always delays in time it took to get to where we were going.

Now that we've taken a break I had hoped to do all of those things and more before she runs again (at the track). We'll see how that goes because 6 years this fall and I haven't done a thing yet.......

Yeah man, you really need to get on the ball!
;)

Shadow
06-03-2018, 07:21 PM
Yeah man, you really need to get on the ball!
;)

Agreed! :banghead:

GLHS60
06-03-2018, 10:43 PM
Wayne, I dont have my glasses on but is this you and your brother installing the trans??

Thanks
Randy

https://i.imgur.com/DMRKLmU.gifv

wheming
06-03-2018, 11:14 PM
Wayne, I dont have my glasses on but is this you and your brother installing the trans??

Thanks
Randy

https://i.imgur.com/DMRKLmU.gifvLol!
Yes, I think it is!

GLHS60
06-04-2018, 02:23 PM
Whew!!

When I saw the vid I immediately thought of you and your brother, in a good way.

I'm sure glad you weren't offended in any way, how times have changed.

Thanks
Randy

GLHS60
06-04-2018, 02:35 PM
Wayne, your axle deal reminded me of these axle stabilizing bearing/seals.

I've never used them or know anyone who has but do you think they may have helped with the axle jamming??

Maybe no help with the axle snapping but possibly keep it straight after snapping.

Did it jam because it broke or did it break because it jammed off center.

Just thinking out loud, anyone ever use these??

Thanks
Randy

http://www.fitzall.com/32125LRB.php

wheming
06-04-2018, 08:42 PM

I've never used them or know anyone who has but do you think they may have helped with the axle jamming??

Maybe no help with the axle snapping but possibly keep it straight after snapping.

Thanks
Randy

62694I'm not sure Randy if those would have made a difference. It might, and I guess it couldn't hurt.

That does remind me, since we had been busy with installing the trans, I don't think I posted better pics of the parts carnage.

I posted a pic when I got the diff out of the visible crack in the shaft. On closer inspection when the parts came back from Gary Peloquin, it looks like that crack carries is way back to the break and you can see the twist. So that break and the crack just jammed that axle in there good. Almost like using an easy-out, the more turning the tighter it got.

In hindsight, I think I should have just run it out, might have been a new PB for the 1/8 mile! Lol!

Also that axle had been in service since early 2015. The long side had been replaced last Fall, but this side wasn't. Probably should have changed both.

clocktowersniper
06-05-2018, 11:52 AM
Every day the internet takes the lives of cars whos owners refuse to listen to simple science. This time ONE car had both things I warned about happen to it. Simple science, not internet tool boxes.

Reaper1
06-05-2018, 01:52 PM

Thanks
Randy

I thought somebody got one a few months ago and threw it in due to persistent axles seal leaks? Never saw an update on it, though?

wheming
08-11-2018, 02:41 PM
Small victory on Mini today. Found my vacuum leak on the hvac.

A/C still not working correctly, when it first cycles the compressor on, it shuts off after just a few seconds.
I think my charge is still off, but not sure.
Now to put this rats nest back together! ;)
I did remove some excess wiring. But I'm afraid to do too much right now as I don't want to mess up something before dragweek.
Still have alot on the to-do list, but making some progress.

turboshelbys
08-12-2018, 11:49 AM
At first guess, I would say you're probably low on refrigerant.

I like your use of the jack stand!

wheming
08-12-2018, 05:36 PM
At first guess, I would say you're probably low on refrigerant.

I like your use of the jack stand!

Thanks! I didn't want to flex it too much and hear a dreaded snapping noise!

On the A/C, i thought i might still be low, but i added some and hasn't changed.
I think my problem is either the aftermarket universal condenser may be too small, my fan doesn't pull enough cfm's (just the factory radiator fan, and condenser is in front of radiator), the 94 van expansion valve with the temperature switch, and using the stock 89 evaporator core. I've got the 94 van r134a compressor and line set.
I swapped in a 89 r12/r134a expansion valve, thinking that might help. I've jumped out the temperature switch, and the compressor will stay on when i turn a/c on. But didn't run it long enough to see if it would cycle off.
I'll test it more when i do the next test ride.

wheming
07-11-2019, 03:08 AM
Wow, been almost a year, and spent alot of it broke!
Haven't updated since before Hot Rod Drag Week 2018.
I scrambled to get back together and never could get to test&tune before dragweek.
In the end, dragweek was very costly. We got hot by an ambulance on the highway while driving to track #2 Darlington, SC. That is a long story all itself. It was a true miracle we weren't killed quite honestly, as if they hadn't have turned at the last possible instant the ambulance was headed straight for my driver's door. And even more of a miracle the damage to this beloved van was not more than it was.
Because of the accident we made it to the track late on day two, with only time enough to make one pass at low boost and it was only a 13.05. That was our first pass of dragweek and our first test pass since reinstalling the new trans. (The day 1 at Atlanta we got rained out.)
The rest of the week we did better and I felt better about persevering after our low point. By the end of the week, I started increasing the boost and running a mix of racegas added to the tank.
But, as my luck would have it, and since it wasn't bad enough that the outside of the van got ruined, I had to push my luck looking for an 11 second pass. I hot lapped after what should have been my last run and then knew right after my launch something wasn't right. But that damage was done, and I saw my coolant temp spike.
After easing off the end of the track the engine was hot and noisy. It was done.

So fast forward now to after the van was dropped back off with Brian for him to find out how bad things were. He checked out and determined bad compression and excessive leakdown.
Internal inspection showed too lean and detonation. My nice JE pistons are yet another set of ashtrays, and I don't even smoke.
Since this block has had some issues, and was again out of round, we opted to build with a fresher block.

Head, crank, and rods and other incidentals still good. Head did take a bit of a beating, but was still useable thankfully.

While at SloweSpeed and since this was an involved repair, the trans is getting the billet A904 style spline input shaft and converter is being modified for that. Also switching back to .91 transfer gears for dragweek 2019.

The fuel tank and delivery system is being replaced with a custom tank and larger capacity pump.

Also on the list is installing a new aluminum radiator, as well as a couple more small items.

I'm getting anxious and stressed about dragweek coming up and my window of tuning being so short before attending. I hope I can get some in beforehand, and if not I'm going to force myself to be safe and run easy during dragweek.

When the van is back home, probably around the end of July, I'll be able to post more pics and info.
I'll still have the body damage to address, but that won't be until after dragweek at this point. I have at least put a deposit on a complete parts van for the needed repairs to Mini. Hopefully that all goes smoothly. Stay tuned!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk

Reaper1
07-11-2019, 01:48 PM
Wishing you and the van the best!

Shadow
07-11-2019, 01:57 PM
Sorry to hear about the misfortune Wayne, but really glad it wasn't near as bad as it could have been!

wheming
07-11-2019, 03:07 PM
Wishing you and the van the best!Thanks Chris! Hoping for a good season, once I can start it! ;)
Sorry to hear about the misfortune Wayne, but really glad it wasn't near as bad as it could have been!Thanks Rob. As I've told the story after the fact, I realized very early that it feels weird to actually complain about it when I could have very easily been NOT HERE any longer TO complain about it!
I thank my wife for her prayers for a safe trip when we left, and while we were away! But the real thanks goes to God for keeping us safe!

Quick anecdote for anyone else religious...
Before we left my wife Janet was worried and we were all packed up and even out of the driveway when she ran out of the house with some Holy Water from church. She said I couldn't leave until she sprinkled some on the van to protect us on our trip. I was actually getting a bit upset with her, because I had just cleaned and waxed the van and she was sprinkling it all over. So I actually stopped her.
Maybe if I had not have done that the ambulance would have missed us entirely?!

turboshelbys
07-11-2019, 04:59 PM
Never underestimate the power of God!!!

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

GLHS60
07-14-2019, 07:08 PM
AGREED!!

Thanks
Randy

ohiorob
07-15-2019, 11:01 PM
now that you got all that bad luck out of the way. you should be fine.

wheming
07-16-2019, 02:54 AM
Never underestimate the power of God!!!

Sent from my SM-G930VL using TapatalkAbsolutely!
AGREED!!

Thanks
Randy👍
now that you got all that bad luck out of the way. you should be fine.I sure hope so!
I really want to be better at tuning. I hope I can have it much better this year.

And today I picked up a van I found for parts.
The repaint on it is horrible. You've heard of a 10 footer, well this is about a 60 footer.
But it should be usable for what I need.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190716/62d970cf77a68b937099bfdb98049e89.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190716/233d213af129fb041e6825db21204b9f.jpg

Aries_Turbo
07-16-2019, 10:27 PM
Absolutely!👍I sure hope so!
I really want to be better at tuning. I hope I can have it much better this year.

And today I picked up a van I found for parts.
The repaint on it is horrible. You've heard of a 10 footer, well this is about a 60 footer.
But it should be usable for what I need.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190716/62d970cf77a68b937099bfdb98049e89.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190716/233d213af129fb041e6825db21204b9f.jpg

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk\\

what bits you robbing off of that van?

can i buy the rest when you are done? lol

Brian

wheming
07-17-2019, 12:47 AM
\\

what bits you robbing off of that van?

can i buy the rest when you are done? lol

BrianWe can talk! ;)

wheming
08-04-2019, 11:51 PM
Getting excited now! Dragweek is fast approaching, just over 30 days to go. And with my work schedule, that means only a handful of days to get anything done on my list. But hopefully I can make good progress if the weather cools dow, (and doesn't rain on my days off!).

Brian has really put in some late nights trying to get everything completed and he was able to start her on Saturday! He even got a bit of a road test in!
He sent me this, so I shared it to my channel.
https://youtu.be/BhqSASzJgbc

So, if all goes well this week, I should be picking her up!

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

cordes
08-04-2019, 11:59 PM
Glad to see that you'll be able to make it Wayne.

Watching some of your videos, I have a couple of questions for you. Did the fully instrumented gauge cluster come in the higher trim minivans, or did it come in all of the auto vans? I only have a speedometer and volt gauge in mine. Everything else is an idiot light.

Also, I needed a new rad, and bought one off of Rockauto.com. Do the stock rads cool worth a darn? This thing is pretty thin and they aren't super wide either. I noticed that you have a thicker piece, which I assume was made by Slowe?

Best of luck during Drag Week.

wheming
08-05-2019, 02:27 AM
Glad to see that you'll be able to make it Wayne.

Watching some of your videos, I have a couple of questions for you. Did the fully instrumented gauge cluster come in the higher trim minivans, or did it come in all of the auto vans? I only have a speedometer and volt gauge in mine. Everything else is an idiot light.

Also, I needed a new rad, and bought one off of Rockauto.com. Do the stock rads cool worth a darn? This thing is pretty thin and they aren't super wide either. I noticed that you have a thicker piece, which I assume was made by Slowe?

Best of luck during Drag Week.

Brian, I know you don't FB, but maybe you can view this:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/611922385641529/permalink/1332446790255748/

I asked about those gauge clusters. I guess even with the optional turbo, you could still get the basic cluster.
The turbo sport option I guess had the deluxe or sport gauge cluster with 125mph speedo and actual gauges.

I have actually tried a couple radiators. I did have the factory 2 row copper core originally, but it needed replacement. I found a 1" tube, 1 row aluminum one Spectra Premium or similar. It has been ok with normal use, but seemed like I could use more at nearly 400hp. The stock replacement can be helped by using a better cooling fan. I have been using a bigger fan for several years. I can get you the model number if you like.

The one you can almost see in the pics is a customized 3 row aluminum radiator designed for a 66 Mustang. Brian modified it to use the factory lower pin mounts, trimmed down the top tank (I think he actually remade the top tank entirely), and resized the inlet and outlets to accept the factory hoses. I don't know what the final tally is on just that, but the part itself was reasonable on both Amazon, and ebay. It did require some clearancing of the radiator support, because of my existing intercooler piping. You might get away with less changes.
Here is the one I bought:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F23 2863227477

In my opinion for you I would recommend considering the later cross-flow radiator and an aftermarket parallel flow condenser (the condenser would be considerably thinner than the factory one). This would greatly increase cooling capacity, and you could use a factory style aftermarket replacement.

I will however be able to give more feedback on this after my 450 mile drive home later this week!

85lebaront2
08-05-2019, 08:00 PM
[QUOTE=
I asked about those gauge clusters. I guess even with the optional turbo, you could still get the basic cluster.
The turbo sport option I guess had the deluxe or sport gauge cluster with 125mph speedo and actual gauges.
[/QUOTE]

Wayne, in digging through my collection of archane Mopar stuff, I found the complete cluster, unfortunately less wires and plugs from a 1989 GC I scrapped for the engine a number of years ago. It is the full gauge set with the 125 mph speedometer. Only problem, you will need to use your tachometer board as this one was a 3.0L V6. I have zero use for it, but will have to dig up all the screws and reassemble it. If you want it, you can have it.

wheming
08-05-2019, 08:21 PM
Wayne, in digging through my collection of archane Mopar stuff, I found the complete cluster, unfortunately less wires and plugs from a 1989 GC I scrapped for the engine a number of years ago. It is the full gauge set with the 125 mph speedometer. Only problem, you will need to use your tachometer board as this one was a 3.0L V6. I have zero use for it, but will have to dig up all the screws and reassemble it. If you want it, you can have it.Thanks!
I really need a tach board or whole cluster for Slug. But having spare parts are good.
I wonder what components on the tach board are different between v6 and 4cyl...

85lebaront2
08-05-2019, 10:45 PM
The tach. board may be the same for any analog cluster, specific examples would be any vehicle built as both a 4 cyl and 6 cyl version, like G or J bodies, possibly A and P bodies also. It is a small board that plugs on the edge of the hard circuit board on the back of the cluster.

cordes
08-05-2019, 11:59 PM
Brian, I know you don't FB, but maybe you can view this:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/611922385641529/permalink/1332446790255748/

I have actually tried a couple radiators. I did have the factory 2 row copper core originally, but it needed replacement. I found a 1" tube, 1 row aluminum one Spectra Premium or similar. It has been ok with normal use, but seemed like I could use more at nearly 400hp. The stock replacement can be helped by using a better cooling fan. I have been using a bigger fan for several years. I can get you the model number if you like.

The one you can almost see in the pics is a customized 3 row aluminum radiator designed for a 66 Mustang. Brian modified it to use the factory lower pin mounts, trimmed down the top tank (I think he actually remade the top tank entirely), and resized the inlet and outlets to accept the factory hoses. I don't know what the final tally is on just that, but the part itself was reasonable on both Amazon, and ebay. It did require some clearancing of the radiator support, because of my existing intercooler piping. You might get away with less changes.
Here is the one I bought:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F23 2863227477

In my opinion for you I would recommend considering the later cross-flow radiator and an aftermarket parallel flow condenser (the condenser would be considerably thinner than the factory one). This would greatly increase cooling capacity, and you could use a factory style aftermarket replacement.

I will however be able to give more feedback on this after my 450 mile drive home later this week!

Thanks for that info Wayne. It's interesting to me that my van came with only AC, cruise, and the turbo for options (if the AC and cruise weren't standard) from what I can tell. The stereo doesn't even have a seek button on it. I'll see how this rad does and go from there. I'll certainly be looking for a good cluster in the JY.

wheming
08-06-2019, 07:07 AM
Thanks for that info Wayne. It's interesting to me that my van came with only AC, cruise, and the turbo for options (if the AC and cruise weren't standard) from what I can tell. The stereo doesn't even have a seek button on it. I'll see how this rad does and go from there. I'll certainly be looking for a good cluster in the JY.There are definitely some weird build orders out there!
I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with yours. And you are welcome. I'm happy to help.

85lebaront2
08-06-2019, 09:07 AM
Wayne, the tach boards for both the 1989 mini W/tachometer and the 1989 J analog cluster are the same PN, I will get pictures of both later for you. Apparently there is either an adjustment (I seem to recall a potentiometer on the board) or possibly a jumper. Board, Tachometer circuit is PN 4051 977 for both J and S clusters.

I will see if I can find where I put the small parts and reassemble the mini one.

wheming
08-06-2019, 06:34 PM
Wayne, the tach boards for both the 1989 mini W/tachometer and the 1989 J analog cluster are the same PN, I will get pictures of both later for you. Apparently there is either an adjustment (I seem to recall a potentiometer on the board) or possibly a jumper. Board, Tachometer circuit is PN 4051 977 for both J and S clusters.

I will see if I can find where I put the small parts and reassemble the mini one.Cool thanks Bill!
This is the best picture I have, I need to remove the cluster again and I could get more.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190806/56f4b1e30018e67e129d4fc84c50d009.jpg

85lebaront2
08-06-2019, 06:57 PM
Wayne, here are the closeups of the boards and a couple of the cluster. I do not know what covered the lights on the left end, looks like there was a mask there.
http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=64251&stc=1http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=64252&stc=1http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=64253&stc=1http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=64254&stc=1http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=64255&stc=1http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=64256&stc=1http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=64257&stc=1http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=64258&stc=1
In sequence 1898 J tachometer module ------- 1989 S fuel gauge damper module ------------ 1989 S tachometer module ------------ 1989 S full instrument cluster (missing mask)

wheming
08-06-2019, 07:58 PM
Wayne, here are the closeups of the boards and a couple of the cluster. I do not know what covered the lights on the left end, looks like there was a mask there.
http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=64251&stc=1http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=64252&stc=1http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=64253&stc=1http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=64254&stc=1http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=64255&stc=1http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=64256&stc=1http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=64257&stc=1http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=64258&stc=1
In sequence 1898 J tachometer module ------- 1989 S fuel gauge damper module ------------ 1989 S tachometer module ------------ 1989 S full instrument cluster (missing mask)Well, it's worth a try even though my tach board looks different.
I'll messenger you my address for shipping quote.

Thank you.
Wayne

85lebaront2
08-07-2019, 08:56 AM
Biggest issue might be the wiring harness. I suspect the vans all had the wiring in the main dash harness for either cluster, but the short harness from the rectangular plugs in the bottom of the "pod" for the cluster might be package specific. I know this one had two round 11 pin plugs and a smaller almost L shaped one on the right side warning lights (this includes the low fuel one).

85lebaront2
08-22-2019, 12:05 PM
Wayne, did some more fiddling with the one in my konvertible. Tach boards are the same, dawned on me, tach signal originates in the engine controls (LM, SMEC or SBEC) so whether it is pulses or a voltage signal all that board does is convert it to a low voltage for the tachometer "motor", which should be basically a galvanometer.

wheming
08-24-2019, 09:23 AM
I have had no time to fiddle with Slug.
Been trying to prep the van for Drag Week.
I'm not even sure if I'll have the van ready. :(

wheming
09-22-2019, 07:04 PM
Messed around with my cluster today. Been having to drive Slugmobile ever since my PT GT had a run in with a 6pt buck. Totaled and waiting for insurance to settle.
But I noticed my speedo had stopped working, odometer was still turning, and the tach was still not working. Played around with it today and swapped parts from a working speedometer, reflowed some solder on the tach board, and then tried it.
Speedometer worked but tach still didn't work.
Decided after several swaps in and out and trying my spare cluster to just live with no tach.
But, my some light wasn't working and found the bulb good. Had a blown 10A fuse. Replaced it and the dome light worked, but also found out my tach now works!

turboshelbys
09-22-2019, 08:03 PM
Messed around with my cluster today. Been having to drive Slugmobile ever since my PT GT had a run in with a 6pt buck. Totaled and waiting for insurance to settle.
But I noticed my speedo had stopped working, odometer was still turning, and the tach was still not working. Played around with it today and swapped parts from a working speedometer, reflowed some solder on the tach board, and then tried it.
Speedometer worked but tach still didn't work.
Decided after several swaps in and out and trying my spare cluster to just live with no tach.
But, my some light wasn't working and found the bulb good. Had a blown 10A fuse. Replaced it and the dome light worked, but also found out my tach now works!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using TapatalkWTH?!?!?!

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

85lebaront2
09-22-2019, 09:21 PM
Damn, and I thought the 1992-96/7 Ford truck speedometers were strange. On them a bad courtesy lamp fuse will kill the speedometer (and the transmission acts weird if it's an E4OD).

wheming
09-22-2019, 10:18 PM
The ecu knew the speed and the rpm because I logged it with MPSciLink. But the tach did not work without the fuse.
The speedo worked after I rebuilt one with parts from another. It looked like one of the board components got hot.

I'm just glad I got it working, because even at low boost, she really scoots right along. Looking forward to when she has her turn at the full rebuild works and some upgrades including a Menegon G-head!

wheming
10-22-2022, 04:09 AM
Wow, I can't believe it has been this long since posting any updates here! It has been a while!
I had to look back and see, but looks like there was no real update for the Hot Rod Drag Week 2019 results, so I will try to summarize some stuff.
For 2019, (an I may need to verify some of this with work records later) MeanMini got some work done at SloweSpeed.

Engine rebuild, new block (due to low spot from running with that leaking headgasket under boost), 1/2" studs, new pistons due to heat damage, and too much timing, new R5 cam. Fuel injectors cleaned and flow checked
Transmission got freshened and billet a904 spline input shaft, modified PTC converter, reinstalled .91 transfer gears, billet pinion support
Brake system mods, Wilwood proportioning valve (eliminating diagonal split), line-locks
Ignition coil conversion to later 91+ style
Custom aluminum 4 core radiator
new china copy Garrett Wastegate actuator with 10psi spring

Results from HRDW 2019 was average for the week of 12.8590 @ 103.650 mph. Not as well as I wanted, but at least we kept the week's average in the 12's. And we completed it without being hit by any ambulances! LOL!

And then, there was the Covid years!
(edit to add)
Around Sept/Oct of 2020 I decided to try a cam swap to Colt Cams S2+. I tried my hand at checking and installing the cam at the proper intake centerline. That was a learning curve for sure, as I had never done one before. Also, although I had a lifter that was modified to be solid, I could not adjust it to take up any lash. So, in the end, I might have gotten it close, but it may not actually be right. It has a bit less lift and a bit less duration, but also it pretty significantly caused my cal to be even more rich. I had worked on getting the cal dialed a bit better on the street.

In Oct of 2021 I decided to change fuel pressure regulators in a attempt to resolve the fuel pump cavitation issues that were still present at times. My thought there was the Accufab regulator had a much smaller return port than the popular Aeromotive regulator I wanted to try. Any restriction or orifice will cause a pressure drop and can thereby cause a generation of cavitation or micro bubbles in the fluid. My theory was they could be getting generated in the fuel return line at or after the FPR. There was also a return line size transition I wanted to eliminate also. So I replaced all the 5/16" line which was used for the return with 3/8" SS tube, and installed the Aeromotive FPR. It did seem to help significantly. However the instances of pump cavitation still happen at times. Relocating the fuel pressure transducer to the FPR away from the fuel rail also helped to provide much more stable fuel pressure readings.

So no racing at all from attending HRDW 2019 all the way up to Feb of 2022 when I had registered for Tom Baily's Sick Week 2022 in FL.
No major changes to the van except for still working on tuning, and trying to get the van working better.

The plan for Sick Week was to run like 20psi or so and just run like mid 12's all week. But, since the van hadn't been raced in so long, it had other plans!
We found out on registration day when we ran some test runs, that we had a miss around 5100 RPM which severely limited things. Shifting after the miss only netted runs around 14.3's!
It took the better part of the week to finally figure out what was causing it, which turned out to be a flakey TPS! We had tried everything and finally found the fix Weds/Thursday.
One track was cancelled due to rain, and that only left Friday for redemption. But i just couldn't deliver as I got flaked on the staging, didn't bump in, and left with a miserable low boost to a 2.2 (60ft).
The good news was since we didn't run the van hard at all, we made it through without any breakage at least.

Shortly after Sick Week I made it to my local home track and was able to throw down some mid 12's at 22 psi while still working on my racegas tune.

SDAC-31
Made it to Auburn Hills for SDAC this year and really missed not being able to attend the last few years!
The van made it to the Quick 8 again, but we did identify some issues with boost control. I couldn't maintain boost over about 23psi!
Not that I would have been able to win Round 1 of Q8 Eliminations anyway, against Mark Palleschi's bad---- SRT4!

That brings me to the latest real change with the van was to finally purchase and install a Turbosmart IWG75 twin port wastegate actuator and a 4 port MAC solenoid valve controlled by my same cheapo HDi SBC-D-SE boost controller. I had tested it out on the street and it appeared to work pretty good. I did notice it took quite a bit less position on the boost controller to make 20psi on the street for my high boost setting. I had also still be tweaking my cal from using racegas at SDAC and some testing on the street.

I was planning to go to Holley Moparty in KY, since I had never been yet, and have wanted to every year. This year I was planning to go and worked to get the van ready. Although I hadn't been able to test the new wastegate actuator at the track and dial it in, I planned to just sign up for the Test & Tune race category.
But, after finding a bunch of metal debris in my trans filter during my trans service, and after speaking with Brian, I decided to not chance going to KY, and instead plan for Cecil Country Dragway SDAC Invasion Day, and then drop the van off at SloweSpeed for an overhaul.

wheming
10-22-2022, 04:20 AM
Turbosmart wastegate install

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20221022/ce42b71fa4acc52f20559ca5fff62d14.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20221022/757b2f5fd85ebb3dcaffeb60a6009815.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20221022/b575a304de4cb27d5a1c432f20588567.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20221022/3aff19c05ed6f05849dd8c4d749e7915.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20221022/9dad3249f6f56587ac28b53168824fd1.jpg

Sent from my KB2005 using Tapatalk

wheming
10-22-2022, 04:23 AM
Trans service preparing for Holley Moparty
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20221022/27349f61cd4bcfddf803796fb03bff64.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20221022/864d7ba49e425c88aedac47f892b9399.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20221022/39485fb18dc3c52b8078f14e5e270009.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20221022/43957466db2c1498991bac2c9dcfd52a.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20221022/785d9525a8d616184dd07909fd2ef83e.jpg

wheming
10-22-2022, 04:36 AM
Cecil County Dragway 10/15/2022
The SDAC/Turbo-Mopar Invasion Day was just a Saturday Test&Tune day at Cecil County Dragway.

Having plans to drop the van off at Brian's shop in Philadelphia after racing, I still wasn't that hopeful for anything more than trying to test and dial in the boost controller, and that the trans could hold together.

First pass was to get a baseline for boost level and the initial spike. Ran around 20.4 psi boost to a 12.377 @ 107.82 mph.
Second pass turned up the boost controller maybe 10%, but wasn't sure how the new wastegate would act. Launched and it pulled hard and strong and surprised me with overboost cutout 3-4 times before I could get the controller turned down during the run. Boost had spiked to 37psi! Average boost through the run (even with lifting) was 24.7 psi. Ran 12.416 @ 108.62 mph
Thought I might have blown the headgasket, but after cooling down and checking in the pits, it looked like things were ok.

Was going to call it a day, because I wasn't expecting overboost with such a small change to the controller. And with it being so busy at the track I was almost ready to pack up. But, my brother Daniel Hemingway and Brian Slowe help convince me to give it another go, since we were already there. Tried to lower the boost controller to a bit less than I had it for the 2nd run, and raised the boost cutout to about 35.5 psi in the event I didn't have the controller low enough.

So 3rd run was the money run. After nearly 6 years of trying for a new personal best, I finally did it.
The van ran 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! (My previous record was 11.77 @ 113 mph)
I was praying to God that I would keep a clear head, and get my shifts right, and have a good clean pass. And thank you God for the result!
I did also ask for Gus' help too!

I looked over my log, and my average boost was only 28psi. I thought it was going to be like 30psi when I saw that time.
DA for that run was 1198 ft.

This was the last chance racing before converting to standalone. I've been using modified factory ECU, but will be getting converted to MS3Pro most likely. So, can wait to best time when that work and tuning are complete!

Here's the video that Mike Marra took if anyone wants a look!
https://youtu.be/JGfuAld0tZI

What you don't get to see in the video, and since I never setup my GoPro in the van, is whenever I saw the timeslip, I got very emotional on the return road back to the pits. Flooded with thoughts of my buddy Gus, and how happy it made me to get a new personal best, and break the van record, but also just how much i still miss him. Luckily i had a brief opportunity to compose myself before Mike Marra and my brother Dan met me back in the pits.

Thanks for everyone's help and advice along the way.
My brother Dan Hemingway who is always there to help out, to Brian Slowe who has helped so much to build/rebuild MeanMini into what she is today. All the vendors for providing parts for us in the community. Turbos Unleashed, FWD-Performance, and Forward Motion. Brian Bucar with all the tuning advice. The MPSuite group who developed the flashable modules we have today. And everyone here that participated with advice and encouragement here.

With this being the last race for MeanMini this year, the record might be broken again before she's back out racing. But, if it does happen, it will be on as soon as we are back racing next year!

wheming
10-22-2022, 04:55 AM
Cecil County Dragway 10/15/2022https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20221022/e21a74291e13041b6a6686e4e6faae6c.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20221022/c45f901a9def81699790fee28511d3e3.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20221022/d58ab35bf2bdd74c6db0bbf90e7afdc7.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20221022/1f732b54fde61d01145f156719732ff4.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20221022/98046263b88e7940b27b3954b327929c.jpg

cordes
10-22-2022, 10:15 AM
Congratulations again Wayne. I enjoyed the writeup and updates. It has been quite the journey.

wheming
10-22-2022, 08:38 PM
Congratulations again Wayne. I enjoyed the writeup and updates. It has been quite the journey.Thanks Brian, I appreciate it!
It's been a frustrating last 6 years for a variety of reasons, but tuning and setbacks and more recently, racing opportunities have been an uphill battle. It hasn't been easy to try to accomplish the goal with the factory electronics and tuning limitations either. Hopefully I can be better at the new more modern stuff. I need to finally do some of those HP Academy courses I've purchased!

(I'm going to go back and make an edit for a change I did in 2020.)

Aries_Turbo
10-22-2022, 08:58 PM
Nice job wayne.

Evans Tuning has Megasquirt videos as well. They have a 50$/month subscription plan that I purchased for a month a few years ago to binge Hondata K-Pro tuning content among other things. https://www.evansperformanceacademy.com/

Brian

mopar-tech
10-23-2022, 07:26 AM
Well done Wayne! I need to finish up these house projects so I can get rolling on car stuff again.

wheming
10-23-2022, 03:24 PM
Well done Wayne! I need to finish up these house projects so I can get rolling on car stuff again.Thanks Gary!
Really looking forward to seeing that happen!

I'm also looking forward to getting Slug gone through so she can be back out racing!

BadAssPerformance
10-29-2022, 11:01 AM
Congratulations and well deserved! Wish you could have made it to MoParty, the track was hooking, the record may have been taken there!

wheming
10-31-2022, 01:56 AM
Congratulations and well deserved! Wish you could have made it to MoParty, the track was hooking, the record may have been taken there!
Thanks JT! I sooo wanted to! I just wasn't sure about going all that way with a known transmission issue. But, in retrospect, I should have anyway!
I hope I can go next year. Maybe I'll have the growing pains worked out with the engine management swap.

BadAssPerformance
10-31-2022, 04:37 PM
Thanks JT! I sooo wanted to! I just wasn't sure about going all that way with a known transmission issue. But, in retrospect, I should have anyway!
I hope I can go next year. Maybe I'll have the growing pains worked out with the engine management swap.

Sounds like a plan!