PDA

View Full Version : A new direction - turbo 360 truck motor

prepared
11-11-2010, 08:34 AM
Greetings and salutations.

I've been away from these boards for a while, looking at my life and the projects I have sitting around. I came to a tough decision and liquidated ALL of my turbo FWD stuff.

I'm now rebuilding the Ramcharger. The suspesnion (at stock height for now) is completely rebuilt and the tired old lean-burn 318 is coming out for a 50k original mile 360. Currently, the 360 is stock bottom end (8:1 compression), mild cam, headers, aftermarket carb. Nothing radical.

The goals for the truck are :

(1) Winter weather transportation. It's primary goal has always been to get me to work in the worst weather conditions
(2) Occasional towing. Once in a while I pull the race car with it, often I pull a light, enclosed trailer to the campgrounds.
(3) MUD. Yeah, this is where the FUN comes in. Summer weekend mud toy.

Originally I figured an easy 300 hp out of the 360 with increased compression, aforementioned headers, cam, carb.

Then, as I'm cleaning up the garage, I trip over the HX35 Holset I had purchased for a 16v hybrid 2.5

Stock 360 has 8:1 compression. Holset is small for a 5.9L V8, but what about a low RPM truck V8? Muahahaha....

So I've been around the web and I've come back here because of the vast turbo knowledge. I know it isn't 2.2/2.5 stuff but I just know I can get good advice here.

Stock 360 LA engine, factory 8:1 (ish) compression, carb blowthrough, single HX35

A. With a single HX35 on a stock 360 LA when should I see boost?

B. At what RPM would the HX35 choke out the 360 because it is too small?

C. I think the HX35 should be good for 350-400 HP and I think that should be attainable in a 360 at a low boost of 7-10 psi. Am I right?

D. Will I be able to hold the HX35 down at 7-10 psi with an external 'gate?

Mopar318
11-11-2010, 08:40 AM
I think you should go with a magnum and pull the fuel injection system. You could then run a simple FMU and slightly bigger injectors.

Five9dak
11-11-2010, 08:58 AM
Agreed, junkyard magnum stuff isn't going to be any more expensive than what you have, and the heads are much better.

RoadWarrior222
11-11-2010, 09:06 AM
The goals for the truck are :

(1) Winter weather transportation. It's primary goal has always been to get me to work in the worst weather conditions ...
Stock 360 has 8:1 compression. Holset is small for a 5.9L V8, but what about a low RPM truck V8? Muahahaha....

I don't see those being compatible, unless you want to flip out the rear end all the time by lightly breathing in the direction of the gas pedal.

Five9dak
11-11-2010, 09:13 AM
I drove a supercharged 5.9 dakota (2wd) in the winter in the mountains in centre county PA. Just get snow tires on all four corners and don't drive like an asshat. You'll be fine.

prepared
11-11-2010, 10:46 AM
I think you should go with a magnum and pull the fuel injection system. You could then run a simple FMU and slightly bigger injectors.

There shall be NO electronics on the truck. Just 'cause. :D

Agreed, junkyard magnum stuff isn't going to be any more expensive than what you have, and the heads are much better.

But, what I have is what I have. Considering buying a set of LA compatible Magnum heads, but contemplating this as I have the stuff.

I don't see those being compatible, unless you want to flip out the rear end all the time by lightly breathing in the direction of the gas pedal.

I drove a supercharged 5.9 dakota (2wd) in the winter in the mountains in centre county PA. Just get snow tires on all four corners and don't drive like an asshat. You'll be fine.

I've lived most all of my life in the midwest and I'm fully capable of driving in the winter. I did a LOT of driving back before FWD was even around. Try driving around a 2wd truck with 4-wheel drum brakes on ice. Scary!!

However, if the small turbo would build boost so fast it was uncontrollable, I could see that being an issue.

And, yes, I have winter tires all around on the truck in the winter. My favorite passtime is watching asshats drive in the winter. I also enjoy trading the end of my two rope for a twenty dollar bill. :D

Vigo
11-11-2010, 01:27 PM
Maybe you can get one of those huge 21cm2 housings off an early h1c that noone wants for cheap?? That would help the breathing on the v8. Will that bolt on to an hx35?

Mopar318
11-11-2010, 05:38 PM
Well, I drove my supercharged dakota in the winter as well. I made around 400whp, and this was in my 3500lb single cab short bed truck.

Although it was driveable in the winter, it was not exactly easy to drive. Did I mention I had a locker too?

One reason a magnum and fuel injection system would benefit is that the heads flow better, and IMO the internals are pretty damn strong. I couldnt break my truck when I tried with even 15lbs of boost.

A blow through carb is going to set you back a good amount of money. What did you plan on running for carberation?

glhs0426
11-11-2010, 08:39 PM
If you insist on running the old 360 a minimum upgrade will be GOOD head gaskets. Look at what the supercharged Dakotas run and see if they are actually LA gaskets. The main difference between an LA head gasket and Magnum head gasket is the oiling hole for the rocker arms is present in an LA gasket.

I agree with Mopar318, the bottom end is very strong. A Magnum engine uses the same rods as the older 318/360.

You did not mention if the 360 is 2bbl or 4bbl. The 4bbl uses a cam that looks pretty well suited for forced induction, however the old 360 heads in stock form run out of steam by 5000rpm. I would think a large external gate would allow you to run the HX35 much like an SRT4 runs a small turbo with huge flow out the wastegate to keep from choking the engine to death.

Mopar318
11-11-2010, 10:17 PM
If you insist on running the old 360 a minimum upgrade will be GOOD head gaskets. Look at what the supercharged Dakotas run and see if they are actually LA gaskets. The main difference between an LA head gasket and Magnum head gasket is the oiling hole for the rocker arms is present in an LA gasket.

I agree with Mopar318, the bottom end is very strong. A Magnum engine uses the same rods as the older 318/360.

You did not mention if the 360 is 2bbl or 4bbl. The 4bbl uses a cam that looks pretty well suited for forced induction, however the old 360 heads in stock form run out of steam by 5000rpm. I would think a large external gate would allow you to run the HX35 much like an SRT4 runs a small turbo with huge flow out the wastegate to keep from choking the engine to death.

Yes, I used LA head gaskets. Good for 15psi or so on a good tune.

Vigo
11-12-2010, 02:20 AM
I dont know anything about holsets, will that bigger exhaust housing from the early ones bolt on? I really think it would help this app.

prepared
11-12-2010, 06:22 AM
Well, I drove my supercharged dakota in the winter as well. I made around 400whp, and this was in my 3500lb single cab short bed truck.

Although it was driveable in the winter, it was not exactly easy to drive. Did I mention I had a locker too?

One reason a magnum and fuel injection system would benefit is that the heads flow better, and IMO the internals are pretty damn strong. I couldnt break my truck when I tried with even 15lbs of boost.

A blow through carb is going to set you back a good amount of money. What did you plan on running for carberation?

Lockers are notoriously bad in winter!! I'm certain I'll need a selectable locker - open for winter and closed for mud.

Here are my thoughts - not trying to defend my idea, just speaking them to further the discussion.

1.) The magnum heads DO flow better, no doubt. However, I'd see the combination of the small turbo and the LA heads to be better than magnum heads with the same turbo.

2.) My other option is magnum heads and higher compression pistons. This is going to be more money and see #3

3.) The reason I see a turbo being the way to go is that outside of boost, you have a very mild mannered powerplant. No large cam or outrageous compression. Give it some skinny pedal and the boost brings the engine alive. You've got driveability in the winter and powe in the mud.

The 360 is a 4v. Did they make a 2v 360 LA? Anyway, the stock intake is adequate. The stock QJ carb is in good shape but wouldn't suffice for a blowthrough. I also have a 750 dp stock and a modified 950 dp but neither are setup for blowthrough. I am very comfortable with carb modifications.

QUESTIONS:

1.) For a single turbo V8 setup, is it OK to mount the turbo closer to one bank? If I come straight forward from the drivers bank, I have room for the turbo where the smog pump used to be, but then I will have to pipe further from the passenger bank.

2.) Where can I look for a 21cm2 housing for my Holset?

3.) Would a single 3" exhaust be adequate from the turbo back?

Mopar318
11-12-2010, 08:30 AM
1.) For a single turbo V8 setup, is it OK to mount the turbo closer to one bank? If I come straight forward from the drivers bank, I have room for the turbo where the smog pump used to be, but then I will have to pipe further from the passenger bank.

2.) Where can I look for a 21cm2 housing for my Holset?

3.) Would a single 3" exhaust be adequate from the turbo back?

Yeah, you can run the turbo off one manifold and use a crossover to get the other side to it. just make sure you keep the crossover pipe insulated so the exhaust stays hot. I used lots of fiberglass wrap.

tmef
11-12-2010, 09:03 AM
I am in the beginning stages of a single turbo 340 in a 91 Dakota. I am going to pattern my build after this one. Mine will be lower boost, blow through carb, non-intercooled.

Subliminal
11-12-2010, 09:31 AM
Ok, first off I would like to say that you're using the wrong type of engine. If you're going turbo 5.9 in a Ramcharger, it should probably not have spark plugs.

That being said, I just yanked my 21CM housing off my truck a few months ago. Lemme make sure I have it, but you can just pay shipping and it's yours.

Vigo
11-12-2010, 02:43 PM
:clap2::cheer2:

I think the bigger housing will make the engine a lot easier to keep out of boost and modulate, and be less of a restriction. Im pretty sure the 5.9 diesel spools whatever the hx35 housing is at like 1500 rpm..

prepared
11-12-2010, 03:04 PM
Ok, first off I would like to say that you're using the wrong type of engine. If you're going turbo 5.9 in a Ramcharger, it should probably not have spark plugs.

That being said, I just yanked my 21CM housing off my truck a few months ago. Lemme make sure I have it, but you can just pay shipping and it's yours.

I would be extremely happy to remove the spark plugs in my truck. However, I have ZERO diesel experience and about that much luck finding a 6BT.

LMK on that housing!!!

amoparacer
12-06-2010, 12:32 AM
I am also considering buying a 2000 Durango with a 5.9 I would want to turbo it thinking more of a 4X4 than a 2wd but for the streets IE SRT8 Jeep mode. What would be good turbo for 400hp and what size larger injector for this magnum set up also would I need a adj regulator. Not trying to jack your thread but this has peaked my interest. after reading your thread.

Lynn Also are there any programs like we have for our cars to do custom tunes.???

Vigo
12-06-2010, 04:03 AM
Yep, you'd need another regulator, and an inline fuel pump too. Im pretty sure the magnum engines have a returnless fuel system and the pressure regulator is built into the pump assembly. Therefore the only way to raise pressure is to add an inline pump and an FPR that recirculates fuel around it.

This is going from memory so i could be completely wrong. I think the same turbo discussed here would work on your truck.

As for injectors, i wouldnt know off the top of my head but it would be easy to figure out with online calculators. Im guessing in the 36lb/hr range, somewhere near that.

Subliminal
12-06-2010, 09:17 AM
Sorry man...totally forgot to check on the turbo housing. Would you still like me to look?

Mopar318
12-06-2010, 10:05 AM
Yep, you'd need another regulator, and an inline fuel pump too. Im pretty sure the magnum engines have a returnless fuel system and the pressure regulator is built into the pump assembly. Therefore the only way to raise pressure is to add an inline pump and an FPR that recirculates fuel around it.

This is going from memory so i could be completely wrong. I think the same turbo discussed here would work on your truck.

As for injectors, i wouldnt know off the top of my head but it would be easy to figure out with online calculators. Im guessing in the 36lb/hr range, somewhere near that.

That is correct. The inline pump going up close to the fule rail, then pumps it to the fuel rail. From the fuel rail it goes to the Fuel Managment unit, which adjust the amount of fuel that by-passes the fuel rail. That fuel loops back into the system before the inline pump.

You can use 24# injectors and still run the stock computer tune. If you go much larger the computer will not adjust the fuel at idle and cruise. 24# injectors at 90 psi flow a ton too!

Mopar318
12-06-2010, 10:09 AM
Here you can see the turbo setup I built. And the fuel system with the supercharged setup.

GLHSHELBY
12-07-2010, 01:31 AM
IMO,too much custom work for too little of a gain.
I`d just hunt for a wrecked cummins diesel,buy it,and transfer everything you can over

Vigo
12-07-2010, 02:32 AM
Too little gain? It would take a lot more work to swap in a cummins and then mod it to be as fast as a turbo 360, than it would to just bolt a turbo to a 360. A turbo magnum 360 is gonna be making 350-400 hp right off the bat, and for more than 1500 rpm at a time, too.

Subliminal
12-07-2010, 09:27 AM
True...and it'll get half the mileage and last half as long, too. ;)

Vigo
12-07-2010, 01:26 PM
Sure, if you're talking about trying to find a cummins swap donor that doesnt already have 300k on it.

Cummins are great but i think its a WAY uphill battle to go out of your way to find an expensive motor and tranny and all its accessories to get the same displacement, less powerband, almost a guarantee of breaking the stock trans, needing front suspension mods, and then having to spend MORE money to double or even triple the stock power to keep up with a turbo 360 thats 1/3 the work, 1/3 the price, and is easier on the drivetrain.

amoparacer
12-12-2010, 10:38 PM
Hey today I found a R/T Dakota 4x4 with 160,000 miles 2500 bucks I have not seen it yet but I has a dent in the rear said to be fixed for 700. Hope its true could be totaled most R/Ts are about 6500 so if it an easy body fix i will be doing Project Turbo R/T Dakota hum now what turbo should I buy.?? I am considering installing the turbo back next to the rear end and running the bost pipe back to the intake so the engine bay would be stock appearing. Also during smog check time I could unbolt it and have a stock air cleaner installed.

Mopar318
12-12-2010, 10:42 PM
Hey today I found a R/T Dakota 4x4 with 160,000 miles 2500 bucks I have not seen it yet but I has a dent in the rear said to be fixed for 700. Hope its true could be totaled most R/Ts are about 6500 so if it an easy body fix i will be doing Project Turbo R/T Dakota hum now what turbo should I buy.?? I am considering installing the turbo back next to the rear end and running the bost pipe back to the intake so the engine bay would be stock appearing. Also during smog check time I could unbolt it and have a stock air cleaner installed.

What year is it? Only the new model R/T dakotas came in 4 wheel drive.

If its a newer model it is a 4.7 and they really dont handle boost well.

Vigo
12-13-2010, 01:12 AM
All of a sudden i am interested in this project since i now have an 87 Dakota in my driveway and a line on a carb 360 for it.. So do go on! :D

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk124/Vigo327/DSC02640Large.jpg

GLHSHELBY
12-13-2010, 08:02 AM
What year is it? Only the new model R/T dakotas came in 4 wheel drive.

If its a newer model it is a 4.7 and they really dont handle boost well.

no R/T`s were 4x4,all RWD

GLHSHELBY
12-13-2010, 08:07 AM
Too little gain? It would take a lot more work to swap in a cummins and then mod it to be as fast as a turbo 360, than it would to just bolt a turbo to a 360. A turbo magnum 360 is gonna be making 350-400 hp right off the bat, and for more than 1500 rpm at a time, too.

with the diesel swap you can enjoy driving the truck instead of having to work on it all the time,just IMO though.
I personally think the diesel swap would be easier than trying to fab up everything for a turbo and you`ll have more power also

Mopar318
12-13-2010, 09:39 AM
no R/T`s were 4x4,all RWD

2005+ trucks where made into R/T's by a simple looks package. They were complimented with the High Output 4.7 liter, and available in 2 or 4 wheel drive.

Mopar318
12-13-2010, 09:40 AM
I daily drove my supercharged 318 every day for 3 years. I never had a problem. Put almost 50k miles on the setup. I think a Magnum with less than 10 pounds of boost is very reliable. I also had a fool proof fuel system and ran the stock electronics. A simple FMU and inline pump controlled my fuel.

GLHSHELBY
12-13-2010, 11:15 AM
2005+ trucks where made into R/T's by a simple looks package. They were complimented with the High Output 4.7 liter, and available in 2 or 4 wheel drive.

ok,I forgot about those.Only thing that looked good was the hood.

Vigo
12-13-2010, 02:24 PM
with the diesel swap you can enjoy driving the truck instead of having to work on it all the time,just IMO though.
I personally think the diesel swap would be easier than trying to fab up everything for a turbo and you`ll have more power also

I think you guys are crazy. There are plenty of good reasons to do cummins swaps, but i dont think reliability and ease are them! Not that it couldnt be reliable and easy, but it would have to be REALLLY easy to be easier than turboing the 360, and like i said you're talking thousands of dollars (motor, trans, accessories, and trans rebuild with some $$ parts), literally adding hundreds of lbs of stuff to your engine bay (suspension mods, springs, shocks, etc), and THEN having to do a lot of mods to hit the same power as a boosted 360 gas motor.

Really they are two different worlds as far as money and effort.

Subliminal
12-13-2010, 03:05 PM
I don't know what any of that has to do with reliability. The early Cummins is nicknamed 'The Million Mile Motor'...it's pretty much the poster child of reliability.

That being said, yes, the swap would be a little bit of work. You'd have to fabricate 2 motor mounts and make the crossmember for the tranny work. Maybe have a driveshaft custom built, and then you'd probably need a little suspension work as the engine weighs 2x as much.

As to mods to hit good power, well, it's not very expensive to get some good power out of these old beasts, and the thing needs literally 2 wires to start.

But definitely more work than a turbo kit...unless you don't have access to a welder...then it's a toss up. ;)

WickedShelby88
12-14-2010, 01:25 AM
There is always the 6BT sibling the 4BT. If your at the right place at the right time they can be had cheap and bolt to a variety of transmissions with adapters and such. Since its the 4 banger version it would be a bit easier with the weight situation. But still much more trouble than the 360 option. With some decent fab skills and the availability of an older 360 say 74 under you will have a stout engine stock that will handle 10 psi. The carb is gonna be the pricey part, but you get what you pay for and you will regret it if you under fuel the old beast. I mean granted the old motors can take some serious spark knock compared to a 2.2 Turbo, but when under boost everything changes. I say go for it! Forged slugs are cheap enough for a 360 as well. If you get an old enough engine heads should flow decent stock. I think 400 horse wouldn't be out of reach, but for reliability a milder engine would do just fine.

Vigo
12-14-2010, 10:10 PM
Yeh, and the conensus on the 4bt is that over 300 hp is difficult and brings a lot of issues.

Subliminal
12-15-2010, 08:05 AM
True, but 300 HP from a diesel is probably 800 lbs of torque. ;)

Turbulence
12-15-2010, 11:20 AM
Yeh, and the conensus on the 4bt is that over 300 hp is difficult and brings a lot of issues.

True, but 300 HP from a diesel is probably 800 lbs of torque. ;)

http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/showthread.php?7949-94-Dakota-4BT-swap

Last page of thread: made 285hp and 590ft/lbs on a Mustang dyno. Boost was 70psi and egt's were 1200 degrees. He's got twins on the 4bt.

Martin
89 Horizon

ShadowFromHell
12-15-2010, 12:17 PM
I don't know what any of that has to do with reliability. The early Cummins is nicknamed 'The Million Mile Motor'...it's pretty much the poster child of reliability.

That being said, yes, the swap would be a little bit of work. You'd have to fabricate 2 motor mounts and make the crossmember for the tranny work. Maybe have a driveshaft custom built, and then you'd probably need a little suspension work as the engine weighs 2x as much.

As to mods to hit good power, well, it's not very expensive to get some good power out of these old beasts, and the thing needs literally 2 wires to start.

But definitely more work than a turbo kit...unless you don't have access to a welder...then it's a toss up. ;)

I LOVED my 90 CTD. Absolutely loved it. Worked perfect for what I used it for. Got decent MPG for a 7k truck, and pulled anything I hooked behind it, or put in its bed, or both... lol. But for a mud truck? I would stick with the 360. The CTD will make the front of whatever you put it in VERY heavy. It will have about a 90/10 weight balance. They also don't rev like a V8 will. At least for me a I like a large power band in a wheeling rig. Being able to go from 1.5k to 6k is a handy thing. I think the small power band of the CTD would be to small.

But either way it will be alot of fun!

Subliminal
12-15-2010, 12:47 PM
I followed that guy building that Dakota with the 4bt. That's some pretty impressive #s for a 4 cylinder...and 1200 EGT is well within allowable specs.

Not to mention he probably gets mid-20s for MPG. ;)

I'd love to do an old 72 Chevy 1/2 ton 2wd, shortbed with a 4bt...that'd be the stuff!

Vigo
12-15-2010, 07:46 PM
True, but 300 HP from a diesel is probably 800 lbs of torque.

There's that $3000 trans build again..

Last page of thread: made 285hp and 590ft/lbs on a Mustang dyno. Boost was 70psi and egt's were 1200 degrees. He's got twins on the 4bt.

I kept up with that for a while. Same body style as the dakota i want to turbo, but that thread was one of many things that turned me away from a diesel swap and 4bts in general. I just dont use the truck often enough to justify the gains in mpg versus the major cost and work of the swaps. The only diesel swap i REALLY want to do right now is for my Magnum.

And really.. if you only want to trap 88 mph like that guy... dont even turbo the 360. You might not even have to unbolt the heads to trap 88..:p

chryguy
12-15-2010, 11:12 PM
I love my CTD,

My chassis dyno sheet shows 310HP and 770 torque at the rear wheels. The only thing that isn't what I call a "bolt on" is the cam. So it is pretty easy and cheap to make HP with these.
I have the rotary pump, which is the earliest pump, and hardest to make BIG power with. I think my power level is close to max with easy bolt-on components. Course there are lots of guys making more than that level with this pump...but not easily.
Even with this pump I can spin much higher than stock. I have a 3200 rpm governor spring installed in mine. The VW's used the same pump on their diesel engines, and it had a 4500rpm governor spring. It can and has been installed in the rotary pumps.

That said, Vigo's right. I have more than 3K into my trans. Between the billet pieces and the low stall torque converter, 3K is a low estimate.
Between engine mods, suspension mods, and then a trans capable of handling the power...that would be a lot of dough.

CTD's are awesome beasts, and you can look at utube and see 10 sec and faster CTD's all over the place.
If you really want to put one where it didn't start out being, there's nothing to stop you.

Again, that said, I think it would be easier, cheaper, and way lighter to do a 360/turbo in an original gas truck than a CTD swap.

As an aside... I have a friend who owns a small you-finance-here car lot. He has both a diesel and gas tow trucks. I asked why bother with the gas truck when you have the CTD truck?
He said "With the diesel they hear me coming from four blocks away". "When I take a car back (repossess) I use the gas truck", I can be under the car and gone before they ever know I'm there".
Of course he also has duels and two mufflers on each side of the gas truck.:D

CG

Subliminal
12-16-2010, 09:25 AM
You guys and your $3k trannies.

If you want a slushy, go to 7-11. Real trannies bolt to flywheels and require a 3rd pedal...and will hold all that torque with ease. :)

Vigo
12-16-2010, 02:14 PM
Ok, how much did you pay for your donor truck again? Substitute that for $3k.

Subliminal
12-16-2010, 02:16 PM
$2400 then sold it for $1300.

So, $1100.

It's almost 1/2 of your estimate. ;)

Subliminal
12-16-2010, 05:48 PM
Kind of a tangent, but I guess we're kind of past that in this thread. ;)

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/3637156-post7.html

Love it! Would love to do something similar.

Vigo
12-16-2010, 07:24 PM
It's almost 1/2 of your estimate.

My estimate would drop by half if i assumed anyone in this thread but me knows how to build their own 518. ;)

RoadWarrior222
12-16-2010, 08:31 PM
if i assumed anyone in this thread but me knows how to build their own 518. ;)

How many tries do I get?

Vigo
12-16-2010, 09:27 PM
How many tries do I get?

If you dont enjoy R&R'ing your trans i'm guessing you'll give up after 2 tries!:lol:

glhs0426
12-16-2010, 11:24 PM
The 518 is cake. Getting a clean high HP 2-3 shift on a 500 is tough without getting a flare at light throttle.

Vigo
12-17-2010, 12:05 AM
Ive built some 500s but never put any power through them.:o

chryguy
12-17-2010, 09:26 AM
So in your $1100 estimate for your 5spd, I didn't see the cost of your clutch and pressure plate. Didn't you say in another thread that the LUK clutch you bought cost $400?
So, wouldn't your used transmission, clutch/PP be $1500?

Then you had the problems with the new clutch/PP, so at 20lbs it's "clutch slip city", it's not able to "hold all that torque with ease".
Of course with a good working stock clutch/PP it WILL.

Believe me, I'm not bustin' yer stones, I'm just sayin... ;)

I loved my first Cummins truck with the Getrag, but I needed a club cab cause my kids outgrew the regular cab. The one I found was an auto.

Anyway, I agree with you, I will get another 5spd truck. Either swapping it, or buying a different one.:thumb:

CG

Subliminal
12-17-2010, 09:43 AM
Yeah well, the first time, it was tough. And the part I got was defective, but that really isn't the norm, I don't believe. After reading 100 threads on the conversion, I seem to be the only one who got a bad pressure plate. ;)

And yeah, I guess you have to figure in the clutch kit. ;)

Mr.Mopar
03-17-2011, 02:12 AM
I am in the beginning stages of a single turbo 340 in a 91 Dakota. I am going to pattern my build after this one. Mine will be lower boost, blow through carb, non-intercooled.

Why wouldn't you use the injection and throttle body off the 91 Dakota?

Mr.Mopar
03-17-2011, 02:42 AM
You guys and your $3k trannies.

If you want a slushy, go to 7-11. Real trannies bolt to flywheels and require a 3rd pedal...and will hold all that torque with ease. :)

Been there & Done that! 2-3 passes back on the trailer broke is no fun and gets costly. RMVB 727 has been getting the job done for the past few years. ;)

Mopar318
03-17-2011, 10:06 AM
Why wouldn't you use the injection and throttle body off the 91 Dakota?

In 91 you would be dealing with throttle body injection. That stuff is worthless!

440dart
03-18-2011, 10:52 AM
My dad has a turbo 360 96 dodge indy pace truck, it uses a nice exhaust many cast for a t3 flange on the passenger side then the driverside exhaust go's into where normaly your exhaust would exit on the passenger side.

It has a turbonetics turbo its actually about the same size as a hx35 turbine and compressor sides are pretty close just eye balling it but its also got a tial wastegate on the end of the manifold

If your are really interested i can got get a part number off the turbo and get an idea of what size will work, this motor dont spin much over 5k so kinda what your doing with yours