PDA

View Full Version : A413 Gurus look here.

heavytank2
06-25-2006, 08:24 PM
This is a repost from TD... but, I figure I'd try here too... ok... onto the details...

I replaced the following.

1) Clutches
2) The first band you see when you open the tranny.
3) Band strut for above.
4) Pump gasket.
5) Bellville spring, which was cracked and the suspect part that caused massive slippage.

Car is doing the following...

1) Park works.
2) All other selections try moving forward.
3) Car is acting like I have a 3800RPM stall coverter.... I.E. doesn't try to move until it reaches a higher RPM and turbo is spooled.
4) No reverse.
5) Can't seem to find netural, so I can't push the car around.

I have put the front end in the air and the spider gears move freely as the wheels spin. The e-brake is off and fine, no wheels are binding that I can tell. And I toyed with the band that you access to on the outside of the transmission.

If I had to guess something hydralic (sp?) is not working as it should. Torque coverter or pump is my guesses. Any help would be great as I am currently borrowing a vehicle and its not cool.

Stevien1
06-26-2006, 12:52 AM
Just to cover the basics.....

Fluid level is okay? Did you install the trans filter? (don't laugh, I've forgotten to install them before during overhauls!) Did you mess with the valve body at all? What seals did you replace? Have you checked line pressure yet?

heavytank2
06-26-2006, 07:00 PM
I haven't checked the pressure yet... its on my list of to-dos.

Ya, the filter is in. And the fluid is okay, I even tossed in an extra half-quart for good measure. And I didn't touch the VB because I was scared to...

turbovanmanČ
06-26-2006, 08:23 PM
Sounds like a few things but pressure needs checking for sure. You either have crud in the VB and its valves are stuck or sticking, the pump is wasted or the reg valve is partially stuck open. The seals for the direct clutch or the one that is on for 1st are no good-can't remember name and not looking it up at this moment, lol!

TurboJerry
06-28-2006, 02:17 AM
The fact that you can't find "N" really says something happened to the linkage inside the trans. Or is the cable and shifter working and in good shape? I think it's a linkage / "roostercomb" issue. If the manual valve doesn't line up properly going through the gears, the trans will have serious issues. More details would make it easier to diagnose......

heavytank2
06-29-2006, 12:07 AM
I think it's a linkage / "roostercomb" issue.

More details on this "rooster comb" thing?

I think the shift "rod" that sticks out of the tranny is pretty F'ed up. I wanted to replace it but didn't know where to source it.

TurboJerry
06-30-2006, 03:59 AM
Well, It's the thing the "stalk" is connected to. (The shift rod you say) The rooster comb has the detents that the leaf spring roller hits against. If you have a self serve JY in your area, I'd just pull one and change it. The E clip on the small rod is what holds it all to the VB....... Or maybe the Dealer has a "bad" VB, and they might give it to you so you can pirate the stuff you need for your's.

heavytank2
06-30-2006, 07:09 PM
Yea, the e-clip is missing and I can't find the pocket that it used to sit in. That whole "stalk" needs replaced. I can talk to yogurtslinger on here and see if someone has a tranny laying around that I can scrounge stuff from.

TurboJerry
07-04-2006, 02:37 AM
I had to cut one off.... It was bent soooo bad from an accident. The case survived amazingly. I've gotten *bad* VB's from the local dealer that was going in the dumpster anyway. I cleaned them and they worked perfect. The Neon 3-speed auto is the same trans w/ different bellhousing in case you didn't know. Which is why I brought up the dealer comment. You may find one in their dumpster w / perfect stalk.........

ottawa rogue
07-04-2006, 03:26 PM
I've got a 31TH(neon) tranny laying around here in pieces, the case isn't any good but the internal linkage is still there......let me know