PDA

View Full Version : General: WTB: 2 Piece intake

87DaytonaPac
11-09-2010, 10:35 PM
Looking for a complete 2 piece intake with the fuel rail and if possible the OEM EGR valve (no matter what condition the valve is in). I need to get the EGR baloney on my 87 TII for state inspection. They don't test if it works. They just visually verify that it's there. :rolleyes:

GLHNSLHT2
11-10-2010, 12:35 AM
thought EGR on 87 T2's was Ca emmisions only?

87DaytonaPac
11-10-2010, 12:47 AM
It's this huge fiasco with the stupid inspection station and the state. They keep insisting the car should have an EGR valve and I have no way to prove it doesn't. I also thought there wasn't one for TII either but the FSM shows one so essentially I'm SOL unless I appease the state.

Five9dak
11-10-2010, 08:28 AM
Go to a different station. Paying the fee twice is worth a lot less than a two-piece and your labor.

Juggy
11-10-2010, 12:31 PM
It's this huge fiasco with the stupid inspection station and the state. They keep insisting the car should have an EGR valve and I have no way to prove it doesn't. I also thought there wasn't one for TII either but the FSM shows one so essentially I'm SOL unless I appease the state.

yeah just post up asking other PA members where they go???

ive only ever seen 1, 2 piece intake like that...it was a NOS prototype and even only had 3 ribs on the top.

any 2 piece I have owned was never even machined for the EGR...

87DaytonaPac
11-10-2010, 01:07 PM

The problem is, I will face this issue again next year. Running from station to station hoping to find someone who over looks this is not a good long term strategy. I lose $60 a pop for a fail. If I have to go through this every year, the cost of a 2 piece will quickly be exceeded.

Now, Juggy, your comment intrigues me. If I could get my paws on an 87 TII 2 piece manifold and show that the area as shown as having an EGR in the FSM isn't even machined for it, then I can prove the FSM is wrong and then I could show that subsequent manuals were corrected and indeed TII cars do not have an EGR.

My goal is to solve this in a consistent repeatable way so that I can reliably get the car inspected every year. So either I fake an EGR to make them happy or put a part in their hands that refutes their assertion that the TII has an EGR valve. Ultimately I would like a nice letter head document from them saying the EGR issue is waived on the car. That's probably the least likely thing to happen but it's the goal.

87DaytonaPac
11-10-2010, 01:41 PM
I just got off the phone with the emissions people. They say if the garage is satisfied with the documentation that there is no EGR, then that's all that's needed. I asked for a letter saying that and the guy said they are not authorized to put anything in writing. He said the ticket number or this issue stays on file and that I can refer inspection stations to that.

I called the garage and now the jerk is trying to make an issue out of the neutral safety switch. He claims that since I changed transmissions from an automatic to a manual that it's an issue. We'll see what happens. I'm owed a free do over from this garage. If he fails it again on something bogus, I'll go somewhere else and pray.

At a minimum, once I am done with this place I am done with them forever. Lesson learned from trying to support a mom and pop business. They don't appreciate it apparently and don't care if I take my business elsewhere.

At this point, I'd still like to pick up a 2 piece just for my own edification and to retain the option of faking an EGR valve.I can always use it on one of my Rampages!

BadAssPerformance
11-10-2010, 02:55 PM
Glad you got it solved. FYI, since the EGR was 86 only, many 87 2pc intakes have the block off plate, but some actually have the boss with no EGR vent hole (or EGR valve mounting holes) drilled... not sure why you would ever want to add EGR but that would make it more difficult!

turbovanmanČ
11-10-2010, 03:55 PM

ive only ever seen 1, 2 piece intake like that...it was a NOS prototype and even only had 3 ribs on the top.

I thought it was common?

Glad you got it solved. FYI, since the EGR was 86 only, many 87 2pc intakes have the block off plate, but some actually have the boss with no EGR vent hole (or EGR valve mounting holes) drilled... not sure why you would ever want to add EGR but that would make it more difficult!

Well he doesn't have to run it, just use a block off plate under the valve and bolt it on. Like he said, they just want to see it! :confused:

87DaytonaPac
11-10-2010, 05:56 PM

Thanks for the information. I know what I'll be looking at now.

Orangetona
11-10-2010, 07:49 PM
Thats hilarious that they even LOOK for an egr valve wow. Mainly anyone around my area wants to make sure the car is safe and not going to kill anyone. They could care less if it had an egr valve, especially on a '95 and earlier. Also a neutral safety switch? Rofl...this guy needs to get over himself.

J&H Ryan
11-23-2010, 11:22 PM
I've got a 2 piece from an 87 Shelby Lancer, complete with rail, $200 + shipping and 3% paypal

87DaytonaPac
11-24-2010, 10:49 PM
I've got a 2 piece from an 87 Shelby Lancer, complete with rail, $200 + shipping and 3% paypal

Okay. I put out an offer for one just a couple hours ago since i haven't had any hits lately. If that one doesn't go through, I'll be sending you a PM.

Edited: Sorry I've got your offer third not second.

87DaytonaPac
11-24-2010, 11:04 PM

As it turns out, I didn't get it solved. The garage I went to was intent on failing the car so i took it someplace else confident that the ticket number the state emissions clowns gave me was the golden key to a successful emissions "inspection."

Well sure as ---- the second garage failed it. I gave them the ticket number and they called the state. The only record under that ticket number was that I called. Nothing else, no resolution, no waiver. NADA. Zip. Zilch. F@#king lazy dimwit bureaucrats sponging up my tax dollars just to jerk me around! So, I will now be traveling this Thanksgiving with expired safety and emissions stickers. God I hate the state sooooo much.

Since the state, the station and the tree huggers all want to be stupid, I will give them what they want and play along. I'll will be setting up a dummy EGR system that does nothing but add a few more pounds the the car and all those concerned enviro-twits, bureaucrats and inspection station mechanics can all sleep soundly at night knowing they've cleaned up another egregious polluting old car. :evil:

BadAssPerformance
11-24-2010, 11:08 PM
Wow, sorry to hear that man :(

There's gotta be someway to prove that the 87 Turbo II did not have EGR... was your car originally T1? or California Emissions?

Have a safe trip this weekend!

87DaytonaPac
11-24-2010, 11:13 PM
It was originally a T1. Unfortunately, the 87 manual shows the TII as having an EGR! Other than a dummy EGR would possibly be filling out a "modified" car form but I believe it would be up to the same office drones currently jerking me around to approve that application. I'll rig something up. I'll know better for the next build and just rig it while the engine is out.

Just edited to add: Between my work place and the government, it appears to me more and more that there's a world arranged on paper that doesn't represent the real world at all. It's very bizarre. My work place is quasi-governmental and it is surreal the way that the reality of the world and the world as represented on paper are almost two different worlds. I often wonder how long it can go on that way with so many people devoted to making the paper the real world and ignoring the actual real world at the same time.

BadAssPerformance
11-24-2010, 11:20 PM
The T1 VIN might be leading them to teh EGR as well.

That is total BS...

BTW, I just looked on Pages 11-12 and 11-13 of the FSM and you're right it shows the damn EGR... :( does your 2pc have the block off plate or the cast over boss? If cast over you may have an argument?

87DaytonaPac
11-24-2010, 11:27 PM
I don't have a 2pc in hand yet. I just offered to buy one today so I will have to see. Unfortunately, this experience has shown me that regardless of what the inspection mechanic sees with his own eyes, he will parrot whatever the state says as the gospel. If the state has a paper that says EGR, then it has to have one regardless of the reality. So, papers become real and reality becomes null and void. Insanity.

BadAssPerformance
11-24-2010, 11:35 PM
I heard the best way to pass PA inspection is to bring in a 12-er of Latrobe's finest Rolling Rock? ;)

87DaytonaPac
11-25-2010, 12:24 AM
Ya know, I used to live in the Scranton area (Northeast PA) and never had this trouble. State College is a whole different story. The locals peg someone as an outsider and go out of their way to jerk that person around. I've never experienced anything like it. I think there is a strong undercurrent of resentment to the University and students/faculty/professionals that come in and take over "their" town. They seem oblivious to the fact that without the University, this town would be a cow pie in a field.

csomni
11-25-2010, 01:11 AM
cant you just bolt one on some where it looks good . i would. heck bolt it to the fender they probley wouldnt no the diff. lol

87DaytonaPac
11-25-2010, 01:16 AM
Heh.... I've thought about that. I was mostly hoping to get something that would just be bolt together. I've wanted to get a 2pc for a while now and at this point I figured: why not?

csomni
11-25-2010, 01:43 AM
well good luck. ive seen a couple on the sight for sale. i have one but it has to go on the glhs. and i think im going to try a one peice on the 86 tona. not really looking for big hp. a littl above 200. im hoping.

DodgeZ
11-25-2010, 02:05 AM

where did you see that?

http://boostedmopar.com/forums/showthread.php?5437-FAQ-The-Difference-in-our-Intakes

GLHNSLHT2
11-25-2010, 02:15 AM
can't see pics unless your a member booooooo

DodgeZ
11-25-2010, 02:25 AM
can't see pics unless your a member booooooo

signing up to a forum is pretty tricky. I'd guess you can't figure it out.

turbovanmanČ
11-25-2010, 02:42 AM
I don't have a 2pc in hand yet. I just offered to buy one today so I will have to see. Unfortunately, this experience has shown me that regardless of what the inspection mechanic sees with his own eyes, he will parrot whatever the state says as the gospel. If the state has a paper that says EGR, then it has to have one regardless of the reality. So, papers become real and reality becomes null and void. Insanity.

I would just JB Weld it on where it should sit, add a vacuum line to it, done.

where did you see that?

http://boostedmopar.com/forums/showthread.php?5437-FAQ-The-Difference-in-our-Intakes

Boo, still banned, oh well, :o

csomni
11-25-2010, 03:47 AM
my bad. imean 2 peice intakes. proby with out egr. i would try to get some docs on the car showing it did not come with one then take it to them and see what they say. or how you can fix the issue with out being costly... maybe if you classify it as a classic. you can get it exempt. we dont have emission checks yet. we just deal with the smell of cattle

BadAssPerformance
11-25-2010, 12:39 PM
Ya know, I used to live in the Scranton area (Northeast PA) and never had this trouble. State College is a whole different story. The locals peg someone as an outsider and go out of their way to jerk that person around. I've never experienced anything like it. I think there is a strong undercurrent of resentment to the University and students/faculty/professionals that come in and take over "their" town. They seem oblivious to the fact that without the University, this town would be a cow pie in a field.

wow.. that sucks man :( Can you get it inspected in another town?

csomni
11-28-2010, 01:14 AM
guess what i found. looked at my 2 peice intake manny and it has a spot for the egr with a plate over it. i have to check my 87 glhs to make sure its not a cally. if not we can do some wheelen and dealen. ill pm you later

87DaytonaPac
11-28-2010, 01:53 AM
guess what i found. looked at my 2 peice intake manny and it has a spot for the egr with a plate over it. i have to check my 87 glhs to make sure its not a cally. if not we can do some wheelen and dealen. ill pm you later

Let me get back to you. I just paid for one and have an offer on a second. If that goes through I'll have what I need.

87DaytonaPac
11-28-2010, 01:56 AM
wow.. that sucks man :( Can you get it inspected in another town?

I can try, however that approach is getting expensive and time consuming. The fake egr plans guarantees I won't have to go through this BS anymore.

csomni
11-28-2010, 02:09 AM
this is true. the intakes are exspenseve. i need one for the glhs tring to keep it as stock as posible. as far as the daytona im going with a 1 peice.

Juggy
11-28-2010, 09:49 AM
where did you see that?

my buddy got the intake in MI last year or 2.....with a bunch of NOS stuff. it all came from a shelby race team, and one of the guys had all kinds of stuff left over. my friend cleaned him out for like 6 or 700 bucks.

there a NOS turbo from each car. T1 log garrett w 2.25" swingvalve small can, TII garrett with 2.25 swingvalve and small can, TII garrett with 2.5" swingvalve and large can, TIII R/T Garrett w/swingvalve and can, VNT turbo complete....and of course the prototype 2 piece, 2 NOS heads (1 287 and 1 782)

sorry dont have pics...someone has it tho....alls i got was the G head :)

DodgeZ
11-28-2010, 11:24 AM
my buddy got the intake in MI last year or 2.....with a bunch of NOS stuff. it all came from a shelby race team, and one of the guys had all kinds of stuff left over. my friend cleaned him out for like 6 or 700 bucks.

there a NOS turbo from each car. T1 log garrett w 2.25" swingvalve small can, TII garrett with 2.25 swingvalve and small can, TII garrett with 2.5" swingvalve and large can, TIII R/T Garrett w/swingvalve and can, VNT turbo complete....and of course the prototype 2 piece, 2 NOS heads (1 287 and 1 782)

sorry dont have pics...someone has it tho....alls i got was the G head :)

JT2 owns this one...

Juggy
11-28-2010, 12:04 PM
JT2 owns this one...

yes that be the one

mock_glh
11-28-2010, 02:04 PM
Funny thing, I've collected a bunch of 2-piece intakes from '87 T2 cars snd seen many more, most from California, and I have never seen one with EGR. However, all of the (stock) '86 GLHS's had it. The valve is the same as the one from the early T1 log manifold cars but the pipe is exclusive to these cars.

About 15 years ago when I first converted my '85 Omni to turbo I had a similar experience at the smog station. I have '87 Shelby Lancer smog stickers on the car so I referred to them, claiming an emissions "upgrade". The guy could find nothing to show that I didn't need one except the stickers, but apparently he entered someting into the "system" that let it go because I've been tested 6 times since then and the issue has never come up.

87DaytonaPac
11-29-2010, 01:17 AM
Mock, Cali has had a lot of time to refine their system and take gear heads into account. PA is in the emissions backwater. I can forget about anything like a waiver or exemption on paper or electronically. The process is moronic and I think most car guys in this state have to rely on a mechanic that they are in with or on sheer luck.