PDA

View Full Version : Tachometer repair

marc
11-03-2010, 04:15 PM
Has anybody ever replaced the motor that swings the needle in an analog tach? My 86 Daytona tach moves in 500RPM increments. I replaced the driver module with another used one and it did the same thing. I don't know if the second one was any good either but chances are it was. The needle doesn't seem to swing as freely as it should when I moved it with my finger. I shot WD40 into it to see if that would help and it works slightly better. Thanks, Marc

menace2society
11-03-2010, 05:25 PM
When you move the speedo needle it slowly goes all the way back to Zero. Is the tach needle supposed to do that. Mine doesn't.

I wonder if that little motor thing on the back causes the tach to not work.

spirit1991
11-04-2010, 06:55 AM
On mine I actually just pulled out slightly on the needle, i think it was rubbing the gauge face. I know its not the right repair but its been fine for about 5 years now.

marc
11-04-2010, 04:29 PM
Yes, mine rubs also and I was thinking of pulling the needle out a little but these things are so fragile and with my luck I'll break it. I will get a 2nd one before I try pulling on the needle

Vigo
11-04-2010, 05:06 PM
Usually the jumping tach is because of bad connections, not a bad motor on it. There are a few different styles of boards on the back of the instrument cluster and different ways of cleaning them. You might try just pulling the cluster, flipping it over, and resoldering all the major joints where the pins go through the board.

marc
11-05-2010, 04:56 PM
I did the remelt trick already to both tach drivers. I'll pull the cluster out this weekend and recheck all the connections. Thank you.