PDA

View Full Version : Clunking Mini front suspension.

Anonymous_User
06-25-2006, 04:03 AM
(Although the vehicles in this thread are n/a, a mini is a mini when it comes to suspension)

Yesterday my nephew needs some work done on his DD. It's a '93 Ply Grand Voyager SE. First the valve cover gaskets on the 3.3 - don't get me started on the great design of the upper plenum - and then on to a clunking noise in the front suspension. He was prepared to have me replace struts and/or axles. After a short drive I told him I would not work on it. It makes a clunking noise as if someone is hitting the floor board with a ball pein hammer when travelling over bumps and on occasional turns. Every mopar mini from the 80's to mid '90's I've driven does this. I took him for a ride in my '91 Caravan that has new struts, shocks, axles, ball joints, tie rods, tires - pretty much everything. Of course, it clunks also.

So my question is, since this is a common issue what part am I overlooking? I am going to assume it is the sway bar bushings. I did not replace mine because the parts store dude asked what the diameter of the bar was. Well, I don't carry that info in my pocket so I never got around to purchasing any replacement bushings.

5sp. mini
06-25-2006, 08:09 AM
that what i was going to say S B B do that frist, just hit a mopar dealer and with your vin. they can tell you what size or sell you bushings. also check the caliper hardwear some time the caliper will raddle around .als the sway bar to the k member go bad too. 96 and up big time ALAn

WVRampage
06-25-2006, 01:59 PM
Sway bar in the k member the rubber falls clear out and it is loud,or atleast moms was.

BIGBRUDDA
06-27-2006, 01:35 PM
The Advanced auto pts replacements are now Urethane,and cost about $7 each. Be sure to specify "frame" and "A-arm/swaybar",not just a-arm.
They come in 1in,1&1/8in,1&3/16in. A 3.3 Grand should be the 3/16 size.
Job takes about 1hr, a15mm socket, and a crowbar.:thumb:

Stevien1
06-27-2006, 11:11 PM
Drop the sway bar at the control arms and go for a ride. That'll tell you right there- usually the outer ends of the sway bar contact the control arm and it sounds horrible!

While your under there, inspect the firewall where it's "caved" in for the exhaust tunnel- look for cracks. There was an old TSB regarding this area cracking on 84-92 minivans and it would cause a sharp POP during turns.

The front ends of the 84-95 minivans will always make a little noise, even when everything is brand f-ing new! ;)

CSX321
06-28-2006, 12:31 AM
that what i was going to say S B B do that frist, just hit a mopar dealer and with your vin. they can tell you what size or sell you bushings. also check the caliper hardwear some time the caliper will raddle around .als the sway bar to the k member go bad too. 96 and up big time ALAn
Hmm, I think I may have this problem on my '98. I was thinking it was probably the upper strut mount, but I'll check the sway bar first. Easier to fix. :)

turbovanmanČ
06-28-2006, 12:49 AM
I would say Sway bar as suggested-common and upper strut mounts. It could also be the ball joints or inner and outer tie rod ends are junk. Mines all redone with Poly bushings, new upper mounts and no clunking, :thumb:

BIGBRUDDA
06-28-2006, 09:02 AM
Upper strut mounts "usually" make the dreaded SCRUNCH-BONG noise.:D

Johnny
06-28-2006, 09:59 AM
Put the van on ramps or jack stands and If you just LOOK at the bushings, you can see their condition. Use poly ones for better sway bar control. Make sure you LUBE the bushings with the correct lube.

Johnny
http://polybushings.com

afsautoworx
07-01-2006, 12:02 AM
Hmm, I think I may have this problem on my '98. I was thinking it was probably the upper strut mount, but I'll check the sway bar first. Easier to fix.

Your '98 has sway bar "links" that wear out and make noise, picture a 8" rod with a tie rod on each end. That is your sway bar link, and when the ball and cups (tie rods) wear out they make noise.