PDA

View Full Version : Wideband gauges: Innovate, AEM, or something else?

Marcus86GLHS
12-30-2005, 06:13 PM
Looking for feedback/advise from folks w/ experience running in-car wideband gauges, digital displays that will fit into a standard a-pillar pod (2 1/16th" dia)..... I am trying to decide between the AEM digital display unit or the Innovate unit, or, maybe there's another one i should be looking at, but its gotta fit into the pillar pod.

here's the Innovate unit, the one i am leaning towards:

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/xcart/customer/product.php?productid=16163&cat=254&page=1

Khajjathefang
12-30-2005, 06:45 PM
love my aem! fits perfect in my pod and is very easy to read at wot

TurboGLH
12-31-2005, 02:16 PM
Looking for feedback/advise from folks w/ experience running in-car wideband gauges, digital displays that will fit into a standard a-pillar pod (2 1/16th" dia)..... I am trying to decide between the AEM digital display unit or the Innovate unit, or, maybe there's another one i should be looking at, but its gotta fit into the pillar pod.

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/xcart/customer/product.php?productid=16163&cat=254&page=1

I just to make sure you know that part is just the gauge. You still have to buy an lc-1 which is another $199.

Marcus86GLHS
01-01-2006, 09:20 AM
thanx...i have an Innovate LM-1 hand-held wideband/scanner that i used to tune the car in 2005, now i want to replace my autometer narrowband gauge with a wideband digital display......so the AEM unit is stand alone, and the Innovate unit requires the LM-1?

no wonder the AEM unit is $150 more.......

TurboGLH
01-01-2006, 10:34 AM
I a bit hungover, but I believe you can use that gauge with either the lm-1 or the lc-1. The lc-1 is the wideband in a cable that they sell, all the electronics are integrated into the plug for the sensor. You have to use a laptop to view/datalog/calibrate the sensor on a lc-1, unless you buy that gauge from them, then it can do the calibration and I believe some datalogging as well. I don't personaly care about the extra features so I'm going to use the instructions that innovate posted about how to use a $10 digital panel meter as a display with the lc-1, it's small at about 1 3/4" x 2" and 1/2" deep, nice and easy to mount just about anywhere.

Marcus86GLHS
01-01-2006, 12:11 PM
CHRIS hungover eh? bet the party was fun, it was boring pizza and soda for me last nite.

i'm with you, i dont need all those extra features either, just a display, and i dont want to have the LM-1 unit in the car all the time so looks like the AEM display is the way to go for my purposes.

you are installing yours in your srt4?

TurboGLH
01-01-2006, 01:11 PM
CHRIS hungover eh? bet the party was fun, it was boring pizza and soda for me last nite.

i'm with you, i dont need all those extra features either, just a display, and i dont want to have the LM-1 unit in the car all the time so looks like the AEM display is the way to go for my purposes.

you are installing yours in your srt4?

Party was good, didn't kick off till late so I was up drinking till 4am and now my eyeball's feel like they've been rolling around in sand. :D

I'm picking up an lc-1 to use on my srt, goint to start making upgrades this year and I want to make sure that my baby is safe.

If you don't want the lm-1 in the car, you could just use the lc-1. It's tiny by comparison and the gauge you link was designed for it. I think the pair is only about $400.

VB Bryan
01-01-2006, 02:17 PM
that new Innovate gauge is soo sweet. expensive for just a gauge though. down the line I wouldn't mind picking it up for my LM-1 set up. it seems simular to the AEM UEGO gauge, but I haven't really took a good look at the aem unit in a while

Marcus86GLHS
01-01-2006, 03:53 PM
here's the AEM unit:

http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?Ntt=avm-30-4111&searchinresults=false&Ntk=KeywordSearch&DDS=1&N=115&target=egnsearch.asp&x=40&y=15

the two gauges look very similiar, both have a 3-digital LED display. i agree both are expensive for gauges (compared to the narrowband a/f gauges) but the cool-factor, ease of use, and the utility make it worth the money imo.

MiniMopar
01-04-2006, 01:52 AM
I got the Tech-Edge kit (DIY). They have a 2-1/4" display now. If you are into electronics, this is the one to get. The hardware and protocols are well-documented and easy to interface with.

Marcus86GLHS
01-04-2006, 07:02 AM
thanx! electronics and i get along like o.j. and nichole did.

psi chick
01-04-2006, 10:53 AM
i run the lc-1/xd-1 innovative combo. very nice set up. it's pretty easy to install, comes with everything you need, just get the bung welded in. it datalogs which is great, fully customizable (even to the point of being able to make a custom gauge face), and is very compact. they can be had all over the place for $350 shipped, well worth the money.

Marcus86GLHS
01-04-2006, 12:21 PM
PSI CHICK do you have a pix of the installed unit you can share?

i've got the bung already welded into the downpipe.

TurboGLH
01-04-2006, 01:56 PM
i run the lc-1/xd-1 innovative combo. very nice set up. it's pretty easy to install, comes with everything you need, just get the bung welded in. it datalogs which is great, fully customizable (even to the point of being able to make a custom gauge face), and is very compact. they can be had all over the place for $350 shipped, well worth the money.

Oh good, I wanted to ask someone who has a lc-1 about it. I'm picking one up in the next few weeks, but I wonder how it holds up to long term use. The fact that all the electronics are in the cable end, and it has to live it's life 12" away from the exhaust, under the car in the snow, salt and dirt makes me nervous. How long have you had it and how well is it holding up? Thanks.

Chris Faulk
01-04-2006, 09:41 PM
http://www.zeitronix.com/Products/zt2/zt2.htm

Here's another option.

GLHS592
01-04-2006, 11:18 PM
http://www.zeitronix.com/Products/zt2/zt2.htm

Here's another option.

Does anybody have one of those? I'm really considering one.

Marcus86GLHS
01-05-2006, 11:53 AM
CHRIS that unit looks super slick, thanx for the tip...i'd consider it, but mounting of the display is the problem, i am trying to keep the interior of this car as bone stock as possible, i didnt even want to put an a-pillar pod in but it was the least intrusive on the interior as far as installing extra gauges.

Chris Faulk
01-05-2006, 09:10 PM
CHRIS that unit looks super slick, thanx for the tip...i'd consider it, but mounting of the display is the problem, i am trying to keep the interior of this car as bone stock as possible, i didnt even want to put an a-pillar pod in but it was the least intrusive on the interior as far as installing extra gauges.

For me the mounting of the display is the draw and what I like most. You can sticky a piece of velcro to your car and have it off quickly and zero side-effects that it was there. ZERO collateral damage I'd say. :thumb: :eyebrows:

Marcus86GLHS
01-06-2006, 10:37 AM
"....and have it off quickly and zero side-effects ...."

good idea, but i was wanting the wideband visible at all times. now that i am looking more at this piece i remember seeing this unit installed on a friends lancer evo (that runs 12.20's on street tires) and he really relies on it for his tuning.

johnl
01-06-2006, 03:16 PM
At last night's SoCal TD meeting, there was discussion about how CA law enforcement is now being trained to look for PILLAR PODS and that the presence of a pillar pod can be probable cause for a pullover and for a demand for an underhood inspection for emissions violations. Once underhood, plain view blow off valves, cone filters, etcetera may result in citation, or even flat bed/impound.

Another "tell" for suspicion of emissions violations is the presence of a large diameter exhaust tip/fart can.

Chris Faulk
01-06-2006, 07:04 PM
"....and have it off quickly and zero side-effects ...."

good idea, but i was wanting the wideband visible at all times. now that i am looking more at this piece i remember seeing this unit installed on a friends lancer evo (that runs 12.20's on street tires) and he really relies on it for his tuning.

Exactly. :thumb:

GLHS592
01-06-2006, 07:09 PM
At last night's SoCal TD meeting, there was discussion about how CA law enforcement is now being trained to look for PILLAR PODS and that the presence of a pillar pod can be probable cause for a pullover and for a demand for an underhood inspection for emissions violations. Once underhood, plain view blow off valves, cone filters, etcetera may result in citation, or even flat bed/impound.

Another "tell" for suspicion of emissions violations is the presence of a large diameter exhaust tip/fart can.

Reason #1,560,481 not to live in California. :p

cams1021
01-08-2006, 08:21 PM
Does anybody have one of those? I'm really considering one.

Mine is the mail.. Ill let you know how it goes once it is installed/logging

GLHS592
01-08-2006, 09:45 PM
Mine is the mail.. Ill let you know how it goes once it is installed/logging

What all did you order? Did you get the boost sensor, display, etc.? I'll probably buy one in the spring.

johnl
01-17-2006, 01:23 AM

Marcus -

BTW, I like how we use our names here at Turbo-Mopar.com.

To the point; Innovatemotorsports is in SoCal, so I lean to them b/c maybe the support would be better for me, being in SoCal. That said, correct me if I am wrong in understanding it but, it looks like you need three things - the LC-1 O2/cable for A/F but not EGT, the LMA-3 to be able to log EGT and A/F and 3 other possible inputs, and the XD-1 to have a dash/pillar pod read out. $200 + $230 + $250 = $680 Kinda steep.

With the Zeitronix, you get about the same capability for about half that price? Or, am I wrong? Also, I take Cliff's point about risk of malfunction due to the design's location of critical components near the sensor. Also, I like the ability to "Post It" a flat panel display (somewhere??) in view in my GLHS and not giving law enforcement a pillar pod "tell."

John Laing

Aries_Turbo
01-17-2006, 01:57 AM
I got the Tech-Edge kit (DIY). They have a 2-1/4" display now. If you are into electronics, this is the one to get. The hardware and protocols are well-documented and easy to interface with.

I have this one as well. easy to build and great features. my setup cost me less than 200$. i use a palm os pda for the display. :)

Brian

Marcus86GLHS
01-17-2006, 07:23 AM
JOHNL i do like the functions and price on the Zeitronix and for my future 10 second Omni i hope to be building soon this unit might be the choice, but, for this glhs i got now i already have an a-pillar for the boost gauge, so the least intrusive way of mounting the wideband would be to occupy the other pillar pod opening where my current narrow band gauge is, plus using the a-pillar pod allows me to hide all the wires w/o any drilling something i dont think i'd be able to do with the rectangular display velcroed to say the dash....and lastly i dont need any datalogging capability for this particular car its just a weekend cruiser for summer that i take down the track a few times each year just for fun.

ideally all i want to do is make once glance at one spot in the car and quickly know the exact boost and air-fuel ratio. The AEM unit looks best for my use, although i did see a commercial for a new Dynojet-brand wideband i am searching for.

John what car are you running?

johnl
01-17-2006, 02:13 PM
Daily driving GLHS and 1985 GLHT should make 300HP+ with T2 cnvrsn etcetera and it should be rolling within a month.

Marcus86GLHS
01-17-2006, 05:10 PM
"...Daily driving GLHS and 1985 GLHT should make 300HP+ with T2 cnvrsn etcetera ......"

sweet.
pix?

8valves
01-17-2006, 06:05 PM
I use a PLX M300 unit and absolutely love it. We use the AEM wideband in my brother's Talon and in my friend Chad's integra. Chad is switching to the PLX because he wants the large box digital readout display which is far easier to read than the AEM unit under WOT.

I mounted mine right on top of the IP cluster and can see it in all conditions, and out of my peripheral vision can constantly monitor it under WOT.

Aaron Miller

cams1021
01-22-2006, 01:43 PM
What all did you order? Did you get the boost sensor, display, etc.? I'll probably buy one in the spring.

I ordered everything since they had a bundle sale. Display, boost sensor, egt probe and everything you need

Marcus86GLHS
01-25-2006, 03:43 PM
just rec'd my AEM UEGO (universal exhaust gas oxygen) sensor gauge package, part number AVM-30-4100 (Summit, $377) thought i'd share the pix:

here's what you get, the Bosch UEGO sensor, 8' of lead to go from sensor to gauge, 6' of lead to supply power to gauge and provide data output, and the gauge itself. you also get the exhaust bung (female adaptor) for the sensor to thread into.
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/8/web/632000-632999/632619_211_full.jpg

here's the gauge, 52mm diameter to fit into most a-pillar pods, you also get a white-faceplate which can be easily swapped for the black one shown. the gauge will show the actual a/f ratio in a digital display in center along with an indicator lite on the periphery corresponding to the a/f ratio (so there's two ways to read the gauge at once).
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/8/web/632000-632999/632619_212_full.jpg

pin connectors on the back for sensor input, power supply, and data logging output, super easy to wire up even i can do this job.
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/8/web/632000-632999/632619_213_full.jpg

say good riddens to the narrow band disco lite:
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/8/web/632000-632999/632619_41_full.jpg

89DaytonaTII
01-25-2006, 04:14 PM
Jegs is selling the same AEM unit for $280

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?lang=-1&catalogId=10002&storeId=10001&categoryId=28921

Marcus86GLHS
01-25-2006, 04:18 PM
well sonamagun....thanks. i'm calling summit.

Marcus86GLHS
01-25-2006, 04:41 PM
and the #1 reason to use this website: the help and advise you get from fellow TDers.........thank you 89DAYTONATII, you just got me a credit card refund of $98.96 from Summit.

i owe you a beer. or two.

89DaytonaTII
01-25-2006, 05:02 PM
LOL don't mention it. I just remember seeing that a few days ago and thinking that 280 is a really good price. Spend the extra $100 on some other TD part and I'll be happy :D

10G OMNI
01-25-2006, 08:35 PM
I too like the AEM,glade to see you got some of your money back.
I bought my on e-bay for $250 which is cheap,before you buy any parts check e-bay for a price reference that way you never get taken.

Marcus86GLHS
01-26-2006, 06:57 AM
will do.

can you post a pix of your installed gauge?

TurboGLH
01-28-2006, 12:10 AM
That price from jegs is in line with the new pricing from AEM. I just picked a new one up for $255 shipped (vendor on the srtforums, I took a chance). I was all about the lc-1, but with the price of even a basic gauge at $50+ the aem was too good of a deal to pass up.

GLHS377
02-08-2006, 08:29 PM
the aem is a good deal, even though i personally went with the zeitronix. didn't get the display though, as it's currently hooked up to a megasquirt (yeah, that stupid 500sel). and in the omlet it'll be logging EGT and a bunch of other things on a laptop. which i thought was completely worth it. if the AEM had been this price when i got the zeitronix, i'd prolly still have gotten the ZT. AEM is a really cool company, but i really like to support other small businesses. it was tough, but i'm skewed. :P

oh yah, on topic, i have to say that the quality of the ZT unit is very impresive! software is pretty cool too. cost me 290 shipped. got it in two days. though it's purpose is decidedly different than a standalone gauge.

-jason

10G OMNI
02-09-2006, 01:35 AM
will do.

can you post a pix of your installed gauge?

I havent installed it yet,but sure will lite things up with the new AVCR

Mirage
02-09-2006, 07:31 PM
AEM is a really cool company, but i really like to support other small businesses. it was tough, but i'm skewed. :P

Hey, I work for AEM, personally designed the UEGO electronics used in the UEGO gauge. We are a small company and also based in Los Angeles! The entire electronics group is only 9 people and I own an 89 turbo caravan as well!

I'm hurt! How can I finish my hybrid swap if you guys don't buy the AEM UEGO gauge??? I busted my butt getting the retail price under $300 for the gauge, controller & sensor!

GLHS377
02-09-2006, 08:14 PM
hah! don't be hurt! 1<9 right? the one man bizzes have to stick together!
but that is a small world! so there's only 9 of you doing all the development on the ems and the datastreams (which are really cool) etc etc? do you 9 also produce it in house there or do you just design?

though i should've made it more clear that they're designed for totally different things. i don't need a gauge, don't even want one. i just need to interface with the compy on a few cars, and datalog on a few others. and when logging, log more than just a/f.

i'm sure your hybrid is safe. with the new pricing, there's no way most people will want the zt over the aem. i mean, you even get a cool gauge with it!

-jason

Mirage
02-09-2006, 10:31 PM
hah! don't be hurt! 1<9 right? the one man bizzes have to stick together!
but that is a small world! so there's only 9 of you doing all the development on the ems and the datastreams (which are really cool) etc etc? do you 9 also produce it in house there or do you just design?

though i should've made it more clear that they're designed for totally different things. i don't need a gauge, don't even want one. i just need to interface with the compy on a few cars, and datalog on a few others. and when logging, log more than just a/f.

i'm sure your hybrid is safe. with the new pricing, there's no way most people will want the zt over the aem. i mean, you even get a cool gauge with it!

-jason

The 9 of us are responsible for 100% of the ideas, schematic design, PC software, warranty repair, tech support, EMS PnP development, Gauge development, CDI development, warranty repair, tech support and everything else. The only thing we don't do is populate the pcb's. We have a board house do that since it uses pretty advanced equipment. In addition to all that, we support all kinds of AEM backed race cars. We are busier than a 1 legged man at an --- kicking contest!

8valves
02-09-2006, 10:54 PM
The 9 of us are responsible for 100% of the ideas, schematic design, PC software, warranty repair, tech support, EMS PnP development, Gauge development, CDI development, warranty repair, tech support and everything else. The only thing we don't do is populate the pcb's. We have a board house do that since it uses pretty advanced equipment. In addition to all that, we support all kinds of AEM backed race cars. We are busier than a 1 legged man at an --- kicking contest!

Would you happen to know Devon Pierce then? He lives by us and tunes my brother's Talon out this way. Great guy to sit and BS with. He's trying to get me to wire in a 1060 box and run my car with it, just mix/match the civic harness to the s60 harness I run now.

Aaron Miller

Mirage
02-09-2006, 11:20 PM
Would you happen to know Devon Pierce then? He lives by us and tunes my brother's Talon out this way. Great guy to sit and BS with. He's trying to get me to wire in a 1060 box and run my car with it, just mix/match the civic harness to the s60 harness I run now.

Aaron Miller

Sure, Devin & Jason are our eyes and ears in the field. They actually visit and qualify all of our tuner network. Devin does the east coast, Jason out west. Devin has sure been around and is great to pick for information!

8valves
02-10-2006, 02:24 PM
Sure, Devin & Jason are our eyes and ears in the field. They actually visit and qualify all of our tuner network. Devin does the east coast, Jason out west. Devin has sure been around and is great to pick for information!

Oh yeah, and to watch him on the EMS in the car is amazing. The car runs and drives like stock at a solid 14.2-15.0 A/F under part throttle until you lay into the loud pedal and she gets pissed! I was very proud when I got my brother's car to idle before he met up with us one night for some street tuning, and he applauded me as he couldn't get it to idle any better than I had already setup... shameless gloating! :p

Yeah, he's an extremely knowledgable guy, and a lot of fun to sit around and discuss theries with. We were talking about making an all E85 car, for it's 85% meth combo... like a meth street car, espescially since we have two of those pumps very close by.

Aaron Miller