PDA

View Full Version : Degreasing engine parts?

jre97
06-24-2006, 05:07 PM
Without having them tanked what would be the best thing to use to clean blocks etc...? I was wondering what i could spray on a block and the take it to a car wash and blast it off.

GLHS592
06-24-2006, 05:20 PM
Simple Green and a brush. Spray it liberally especially in very greasy spots, let it sit a bit, and brush the engine block. Repeat and then pressure wash it.

Stevien1
06-24-2006, 11:12 PM
Oven degreaser works great on blocks, mounts, brackets, etc. Don't use it on aluminum unless you want it turn a funky grey color. It's 99 cent a can at the local hardware store to boot! ;)

GLHS592
06-24-2006, 11:25 PM
If you try any of this, make sure you wear clothes and shoes you aren't worried about ruining. Goggles wouldn't be a bad idea either. The pressure washer will send that stuff flying everywhere.

WVRampage
06-24-2006, 11:55 PM
advance auto had some parts cleaner thats in 5 galon jugs and using it and a scotch brite pad will clean anything and its ready for paint when your done.

5sp. mini
06-25-2006, 08:16 AM
a nice stiff brush helps a lot i use a mix of tide right before i get ready to reassmemble the frist wash then tinner and the outer block before paint. ALAn

Directconnection
06-25-2006, 10:01 AM
Simple Green and a brush. Spray it liberally especially in very greasy spots, let it sit a bit, and brush the engine block. Repeat and then pressure wash it.

"Pink Stuff" works even better.

But a simple pressure washer at the car wash will work even w/out these.

GLHS592
06-25-2006, 01:52 PM
But a simple pressure washer at the car wash will work even w/out these.

Yeah, but your face and clothes will be black. ;) The grease and water will go everywhere.

Holley
06-25-2006, 01:54 PM
I've used some parafin and a paintbrush (toothbrush for the nooks and crannies), works fine, doesn't get crap everywhere ...

shadow88
06-25-2006, 03:25 PM
I rented a steam cleaner from the home depot. Clean, easy,and worked great.

ottawa rogue
06-25-2006, 04:18 PM
castrol super clean. this stuff will clean anything if used at full strength, even the paint off of your toolbox(dont ask)

Directconnection
06-25-2006, 04:30 PM
I have a similar issue. My car is in the garage and the drivetrain is out. The k-frame is full of a severe oil/dirt combo from the oil feed line on the turbo leaking for years. If I use a pressure washer, all that will go down my driveway, etc...making a horrible mess. It looks as though I will have to do this the hard way and use brake cleaner, pink stuff, etc... and little freaking brushes combine with tons of time. Anyone have a faster method? I currently have cardboard under the car which acted like a large maxi-pad and caught all the oil and debris without transferring much to the garage floor. Would love to pressure wash this thing...but no trailer to tow the car with.

86Shelby
06-25-2006, 06:48 PM
It's not too tough to pull the Kframe out when the drivetrain is not there. 4 large bolts where it attaches to the body. 4 bolts for the steering rack; hold this up with a bunjee cord. Seperate the ball joints from the steering knuckles and take the whole shebang to the car wash. May as well remove the swaybar and clean that seperately.

Directconnection
06-25-2006, 07:52 PM
I probably will. Knuckles getting replaced with ones from the big brakes of a T-II GTC and 2-1/4" swaybar. Only problem is getting that nasty K frame along with everything else in my trunk as I don't have a truck.

Whorse
06-26-2006, 08:16 AM
Personally I stand by Aircraft Coating Stripper because it's safe on aluminum and will take anything off, not just grease. Very smelly though, and might take some scrubbing. Make sure to rinse it off very well after.

Directconnection
06-26-2006, 12:09 PM
Pink stuff smells like dish soap, and doesn't chap your hands...yet can be aggressive if used on paint. I have done my interior with it before with no problems whatsoever.

CSX321
06-26-2006, 01:53 PM
I just took my coilover springs, bumpstops, and strut mounts out of the dishwasher. Far from the first time I've had car parts in there; ask my wife. The oven works well for curing painted parts, too. :D

WVRampage
06-26-2006, 11:55 PM
I just took my coilover springs, bumpstops, and strut mounts out of the dishwasher. Far from the first time I've had car parts in there; ask my wife. The oven works well for curing painted parts, too. :D
I bet shes happy with you.

Directconnection
06-27-2006, 07:32 PM
I am taking the k-frame out like suggested. The engine swap was supposed to be the involved part, but I decided to go with 11" brakes, etc. Now the entire frontend is out. I think I am going to bring the k-frame and have it washed in the pressure washer at work (meant for engine blocks, etc..)

CSX321
06-27-2006, 09:10 PM
Long as ya got it off, might as well replace all the bushings. This is how cleaning a part turns into rebuilding the entire car. :D

GLHS592
06-27-2006, 10:43 PM
Long as ya got it off, might as well replace all the bushings. This is how cleaning a part turns into rebuilding the entire car. :D

That sounds familiar...If I fix this and repaint it, that will look bad. So, I might as well repaint it...Oh no! Now that will look bad...

:p

Directconnection
06-28-2006, 06:11 PM
Oh I know. Was supposed to be an engine swap. Then of course, I need a proper intercooler over the stocker. Now the engine bay is trashed with dirt/oil... while I'm at it, might as well convert the brakes over. New MC and proportioning valve, etc... Swaybar...knuckles...everything different. Now you fawkers convinced me to rip out the k-frame.:mad: