PDA

View Full Version : HID headlights

vcrpro3
10-18-2010, 02:54 AM
Who all here is using them?....questions to follow...

turbovanmanČ
10-18-2010, 03:27 AM
Love them. :love:

GLHNSLHT2
10-18-2010, 03:27 AM
Hella E-codes and relays throw more light than the factory HID cars I run across on the freeway late at night so to me they're not even a consideration. Just remember if you upgrade to HID's you need a proper housing so you're not blinding on-coming drivers. It's dangerous for you and them.

vcrpro3
10-18-2010, 07:55 AM
Hella E-codes and relays throw more light than the factory HID cars I run across on the freeway late at night so to me they're not even a consideration. Just remember if you upgrade to HID's you need a proper housing so you're not blinding on-coming drivers. It's dangerous for you and them.
Have what i think are good housings; have some H4 Cibie and Hella housings and maybe even a set of Marchal's. Is it necessary to run the the electrics through a set of relays from the battery like when using high wattage halogens or can the HID transformers get enough power through the stock wiring?

contraption22
10-18-2010, 09:53 AM
I can't stand HID's. When done incorrectly, they are blinding to oncomming drivers. When done "correctly", they have such a low cutoff to keep from blinding oncomming drivers that they are pointless.

GLHNSLHT2
10-18-2010, 10:04 AM
Have what i think are good housings; have some H4 Cibie and Hella housings and maybe even a set of Marchal's. Is it necessary to run the the electrics through a set of relays from the battery like when using high wattage halogens or can the HID transformers get enough power through the stock wiring?

Look for an "E1" cast into the lens of the housing. That's the German E-code spec. E4 is also ok from the Netherlands.

I assume (maybe simon can verify) that the transformers will need direct battery power as they are the relays themselves?

turbovanmanČ
10-18-2010, 02:08 PM

Stock wiring can easily power up the transformers as they are that, they take the low factory current and ramp it up.

I can't stand HID's. When done incorrectly, they are blinding to oncomming drivers. When done "correctly", they have such a low cutoff to keep from blinding oncomming drivers that they are pointless.

Disagree 1000% on the fact they are pointless but agreed on the incorrectly part.

Twizter68
10-18-2010, 03:26 PM
Simon which kit did you use when you did your conversion?

turbovanmanČ
10-18-2010, 03:41 PM
I used to sell them but I got out, my supplier was too expensive as others dropped their prices.

Get them for this member-

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42096

trannybuster
10-18-2010, 04:22 PM
One of the better upgrades. They dont blind drivers if they are adjusted correctly. I can see the deer coming long before its an issue. I have been pulled over twice cause I rolled into town and forgot I had my brights on, oops but i never get brighted running my dims becasue they are adjusted correctly Iike mentioned. Its great when you get the punk sob that likes to leave his brights on and you can give him retina burn..

vcrpro3
10-19-2010, 05:08 PM
Next question; Does/or can the Hella e-code H4 housing that has the metal shield inside the housing affect the light output vs. a non shield unit,eg Cibie.

vcrpro3
10-19-2010, 05:10 PM
Next question; Does/or can the Hella e-code H4 housing that has the metal shield inside the housing affect the light output vs. a non shield unit,eg Cibie.

Also, anyone know the difference between E1 and E2 code?

OmniLuvr
10-21-2010, 06:01 AM
so glhnslht, would you say the e codes AND the hid's would be a good combo? or do you need a special e code for the hid's? or no hid's at all?

trannybuster
10-21-2010, 11:48 AM
I used to sell them but I got out, my supplier was too expensive as others dropped their prices.

Get them for this member-

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42096

I bought mine here^^no issues!

turbovanmanČ
10-21-2010, 01:03 PM
so glhnslht, would you say the e codes AND the hid's would be a good combo? or do you need a special e code for the hid's? or no hid's at all?

He doesn't like HID's, but yes, run the E codes and HID's. My full size Chev van runs that setup, its awesome, :nod:

vcrpro3
10-22-2010, 04:36 AM
Also, anyone know the difference between E1 and E2 code?

I probably have answered my own question; The E1 code is a German standard(Bosch) and the E2 on the Cibie housing is the French lighting standard per what i have read.

audiomaninc
10-22-2010, 07:26 AM
Can't live without HID's. They pretty much highlight everything on the road. We sell them at my store on a daily basis with no problems or returns. Some of the cheap Chinese knockoffs flicker or don't turn on the first time you turn on the switch, so be cautious about which ones you buy. There's nothing dangerous about them, and they're not going to "blind" anybody. Some other drivers on the road are just a little over dramatic. If anything they're safer because you'll be able to see much better, and others will be able to see you much better. Keep in mind, however, that HID lights are illegal, no matter what color they are (even bright white), if they didn't come from the factory, so don't try to argue with a police officer about it. Factory HID cars have headlight aimers to keep the beam low when approaching oncoming cars, and washers to keep the housings clean so the beam wont scatter.

turbodaytona87
10-22-2010, 04:09 PM
ddmtuning.com has good deals on HID kits and is a reputable dealer. I prefer a projector retrofit myself, but I've seen people get away with E codes.

I disagree with the guy above me. HIDs in a reflector housing are obnoxious and do hinder oncoming drivers' abilities to see.

GLHNSLHT2
10-23-2010, 08:25 PM

Either run E-code and HID's or just the E-codes with relays. In my experience (I have e-codes on all my TD's) is that just the Hella's with E-codes and relays throw more light that any factory HID car I've come across so far. So it's jus an opinion of light color.

I probably have answered my own question; The E1 code is a German standard(Bosch) and the E2 on the Cibie housing is the French lighting standard per what i have read.

Sounds right, I don't know what the E2 beam pattern looks like but it should have a nice sharp cut off with a slope up and too the right.

Can't live without HID's. They pretty much highlight everything on the road. We sell them at my store on a daily basis with no problems or returns. Some of the cheap Chinese knockoffs flicker or don't turn on the first time you turn on the switch, so be cautious about which ones you buy. There's nothing dangerous about them, and they're not going to "blind" anybody. Some other drivers on the road are just a little over dramatic. If anything they're safer because you'll be able to see much better, and others will be able to see you much better. Keep in mind, however, that HID lights are illegal, no matter what color they are (even bright white), if they didn't come from the factory, so don't try to argue with a police officer about it. Factory HID cars have headlight aimers to keep the beam low when approaching oncoming cars, and washers to keep the housings clean so the beam wont scatter.

I'm sorry but I totally disagree with just about all your statements. No no one is going to bring them back because they don't care if they're blinding people. They are dangerous when put in a housing that cast's the light in a big "O" pattern. I've stated my experience with almost t-boning the toyota truck because I couldn't see where he was just all purplish light. I hate that guy, my g/f hates him as well. You might not go permanently blind but if I can't see exactly where you are on a 2 lane road then I might as well be blind because all I can see is light.

Factory HID cars also come with strict beam patterns that cut the light at the middle of the bulb so no light goes above it. Just go look at an Acura shining it's lights against a wall. Very easy to see.

vcrpro3
10-25-2010, 02:38 AM
Question-have you seen this, It appears that the plug on the HID kit is wired differently than the headlight wiring on my car. Looking at the wiring and wiring diagram on a 88 'J' body, the high/low on the vehicle plug (1988 'J' body) is arranged that looking at the plug from the wire end: |= lo beam +, _ = hi beam + and | = ground . The connector on the HID harness seems off from this:it is |=black, _ =white |= blue I have to assume that the black on the HID harness is ground. Something is not right.....

vcrpro3
10-27-2010, 09:55 PM
Got the bi-xenon hid lights working correctly finally....The 100w H1 high beams look yellow and dim in comparison- going to have to add a relay setup to those to get direct battery voltage feed to them....................

vcrpro3
10-27-2010, 10:12 PM
Got he bi-xenon hids working correctly finally- Holee $**t, they light the road nice!!!... The 100w h1 halogen high beams look yellow and dim in comparison. Going to need those wired with a relay to get better voltage and current to them

vcrpro3
10-27-2010, 10:13 PM
oops! double post.............................................. .................................................. .................................................. .