PDA

View Full Version : 91+ fuel pump on 89 down hanger?

shackwrrr
10-17-2010, 11:23 PM
I am getting a high flow fuel pump and I want to try the TRE brand that is so much cheaper than the walbro that many have had luck with. The only problem, they do not have a direct fitment pump availble. The pump they have is similar to the 91+ pumps. It doesn't look that hard except for the sock since the stock one is angled to sit level with the bottom of the tank. I have seen threads where people talked about putting the 91+ pump in but no pictures and searching is hopeless.

If anyone has some tips that would be great, I would much rather pay 70 instead of 110.

zin
10-18-2010, 12:00 AM
I am getting a high flow fuel pump and I want to try the TRE brand that is so much cheaper than the walbro that many have had luck with. The only problem, they do not have a direct fitment pump availble. The pump they have is similar to the 91+ pumps. It doesn't look that hard except for the sock since the stock one is angled to sit level with the bottom of the tank. I have seen threads where people talked about putting the 91+ pump in but no pictures and searching is hopeless.

If anyone has some tips that would be great, I would much rather pay 70 instead of 110.

How about swapping the whole hanger/pump assembly? The opening in the tank should be the same, so you should be able to swap in the newer pump/hanger and not sweat adapting anything... Easy!(says the man who hasn't done it himself...:p)

Mike

shackwrrr
10-18-2010, 12:08 AM
How about swapping the whole hanger/pump assembly? The opening in the tank should be the same, so you should be able to swap in the newer pump/hanger and not sweat adapting anything... Easy!(says the man who hasn't done it himself...:p)

Mike

I thought that might be possible but I dont think it is, I looked up the part numbers of both tanks and they are different. I am really kicking myself on this one because I parted out a spirit with the newer pump/tank thinking mine had the same, then I looked :mad:

csomni
10-18-2010, 12:37 AM
let me no on how that pump works . im thinking about getting the tre 200 which is a inline

1966 dart wagon
10-18-2010, 09:42 AM
I had a thread on this and not really alot of help, persoinally If I had to do it again, I wouldnt.

TRE makes a pump just like the GSS340 which is the walbro pump number that the vendors sell, If I had to do it again I would have just ordered a TRE 340 (I believe was the PN) for even cheaper at 70 bucks. This is a direct replacement if you already have a walbro installed,(looks exactly the same and claims to be the same but hard to tell from there pics) which I did, this would have been plug and play.

Besides that, Ive found out so far that I should just swap a 91+ up tank and sending unit, the wires are different so a little splicing is involved, but hell for about 100 bucks(for the walbro) or 70 for the tre 340 and not hacking up my car I'll spend the money.

Read some of my other threads on this and you'll see the problems I was having with this pump in my 89 daytona. at least the pump clains to be able to be used in my dakota

shackwrrr
10-18-2010, 11:11 AM
I had a thread on this and not really alot of help, persoinally If I had to do it again, I wouldnt.

TRE makes a pump just like the GSS340 which is the walbro pump number that the vendors sell, If I had to do it again I would have just ordered a TRE 340 (I believe was the PN) for even cheaper at 70 bucks. This is a direct replacement if you already have a walbro installed,(looks exactly the same and claims to be the same but hard to tell from there pics) which I did, this would have been plug and play.

Besides that, Ive found out so far that I should just swap a 91+ up tank and sending unit, the wires are different so a little splicing is involved, but hell for about 100 bucks(for the walbro) or 70 for the tre 340 and not hacking up my car I'll spend the money.

Read some of my other threads on this and you'll see the problems I was having with this pump in my 89 daytona. at least the pump clains to be able to be used in my dakota

Thanks for the advice, I guess I will go with the right one then. I was just trying to save some money since my TM addiction is getting worse because I am buying a car just for the performance parts it comes with.

turbovanmanČ
10-18-2010, 04:00 PM

Mike

I would say no, the 91+ pump unit is larger than the older setup so IIRC, the hole is bigger on the 91+ unit.

1966 dart wagon
10-18-2010, 07:50 PM
Thanks for the advice, I guess I will go with the right one then. I was just trying to save some money since my TM addiction is getting worse because I am buying a car just for the performance parts it comes with.

Yeah I know the feeling.

The reason I went with tre is it was suggested by other uses as a replacement fp that wasnt a walbro. It is nice and quiet I will say but I didnt mind the wine of the walbro. I've killed 2 walbros in the last 2 years, thankfully changing the pump isnt that big of a deal, its just the down time.

1966 dart wagon
10-25-2010, 07:44 PM
More updates for ya, It APPEARS the 91+ hanger will fit in the 89 tank, I got a couple at the pick n pull yard this weekend, I'll be swapping it in and update with how it goes on here and/or my own thread.

shackwrrr
10-26-2010, 09:25 AM
sweet, thanks. I will be looking foward to the update.