PDA

View Full Version : Tuning Issues

moparman76_69
10-14-2010, 02:35 AM
So I finally got my van together over this past weekend and have been working on getting a cal for it, but I've had various issues and I'm not sure what it could be.

My setup is 2.5 stock engine, TBI cam, stock T2 garret turbo, 5 speed, 180 degree thermostat, +40s, 3 bar, no computer controlled boost.

The first cals I tried doing were on a older version of MPtuner and the v16 TSMEC files.

First using the T-SMEC_25_MTX_A131_MP.v16 file as my base, scaled to +40s and 3 bar, adjusted fan tables, disabled wastegate power loss light mask.

I saved it complied it with the T_SMEC.asm file. It ran like absolute crap. I was still trying to get my dist. timing set so at I'm not sure if that was an issue or not.

I rebuilt it from base and burned it to a new chip and it was the same thing.

I was getting a code 22 and the O2 didn't switch at idle.

I put in a stock 2.5 auto cal and it ran great and I was able to get the base timing set finally.

My 2nd attempt was using T-SMEC_25_MTX_B151_Stock.v16. Ran great but I still had no O2 switching at idle. It also seems that either my boost gauge is off or I have no overboost because the first time I got in it to see where the manual boost controller was set it went over to 30 psi which is max on the gauge.

Tried to rebuild from base and burn to another chip and same thing.

Then I tried the cal Rob had made for the setup that was intended for my Lebaron. It was based on TMEC .v15. It runs ok, but I got multiple CELs mainly because it was setup for computer boost.

I checked on here and found that both MPtuner and the TSMEC files had been updated since I fooled with this last so I downloaded the updated files.

Using T-SMEC_25_MTX_B151_Stock.v16 out of the V16.7 folder and the TSMEC_v167.asm file. Tried to burn twice on two different chips and it won't even crank over. I'm pretty sure if I started from scratch again and redid the file it might be ok, but I didn't have time to try that yet.

Right now I have a modified version of the cal Rob did for me in there, I still seem to have boost control issues but I'm wondering if it's the gauge since it still seems I have no overboost. I'm not getting any CELs. The O2 switches at idle, BUT it has that issue where it hiccups while you're cruising. I know that's related to the version of TSMEC so until I figure this other stuff out I'll have to live with it.

I just noticed I seem to have some .err files from where I tried compiling some of those cals to get my .bin files. How can I look at those to see what errors I had? Maybe my issues are in there.

Juggy
10-14-2010, 03:34 AM
when u tried to burn the files that wouldnt even crank over, did u burn the ring offset for hex?? im new to this stuff and that has messed with me countless times

the error files are prolly because the cal was originally created in D cal and u want to use it in MPTuner.

turbovanmanČ
10-14-2010, 03:39 AM
Compiling is the toughest part, next is figuring out what ASM file to use.

Did you change the injector and map scaling?

You say your not using computer control for boost but then complain the computer can't control it??? :confused:

moparman76_69
10-14-2010, 05:53 AM
when u tried to burn the files that wouldnt even crank over, did u burn the ring offset for hex?? im new to this stuff and that has messed with me countless times

the error files are prolly because the cal was originally created in D cal and u want to use it in MPTuner.

Yes I'm using 27sf512 chips and used 8000 offset on all burns. I'm using the correct .v16 files for MPtuner, they open, allow me to make changes, save and compile correctly but I still have .err files after I go to that folder.

Compiling is the toughest part, next is figuring out what ASM file to use.

Did you change the injector and map scaling?

You say your not using computer control for boost but then complain the computer can't control it??? :confused:

You should try reading more often. I used the correct .asm and all files complied correctly. I scaled it for the 40s and 3 bar, and I'm reffering to overboost not computer controlled boost. I should still hit overboost even with the manual boost controller before I hit 30 psi.

ShelGame
10-14-2010, 08:42 AM
Yes I'm using 27sf512 chips and used 8000 offset on all burns. I'm using the correct .v16 files for MPtuner, they open, allow me to make changes, save and compile correctly but I still have .err files after I go to that folder.

You should try reading more often. I used the correct .asm and all files complied correctly. I scaled it for the 40s and 3 bar, and I'm reffering to overboost not computer controlled boost. I should still hit overboost even with the manual boost controller before I hit 30 psi.

Are you sure you have the latest MP Tuner and T-SMEC?

I use the B151 template in my van, and it compiles with no problems. I've been driving on it for several months.

I would DL'd the latest .zip with the v16.7 files and make sure you keep them together. Even though your files may be .v16, they won't be correct for the latest version of T-SMEC. I added some calibration data to the templates for the Dwell control. Sounds like that might be the problem. No dwell = no start...

moparman76_69
10-14-2010, 12:53 PM
Are you sure you have the latest MP Tuner and T-SMEC?

I use the B151 template in my van, and it compiles with no problems. I've been driving on it for several months.

I would DL'd the latest .zip with the v16.7 files and make sure you keep them together. Even though your files may be .v16, they won't be correct for the latest version of T-SMEC. I added some calibration data to the templates for the Dwell control. Sounds like that might be the problem. No dwell = no start...

That may be the case, I dl'd the 16.7 and unzipped it to a new folder to keep them seperate. I didn't think it would compile using the wrong asm though. Any clue what may cause the O2 not to switch? Could it be related to the coolant temp sensor code?

I uninstalled MPtuner so I could do a fresh install just in case the update messed something up and when I tried to reinstall it gave me an error about some file that was missing and asked me to reboot, when I rebooted and tried again it gave me the same error. I'll probably make a post in the MPtuner thread about that though.

ShelGame
10-14-2010, 01:29 PM
That may be the case, I dl'd the 16.7 and unzipped it to a new folder to keep them seperate. I didn't think it would compile using the wrong asm though.

It might, MP tuner only checks for the major release (v16), not the minor. I had intended to keep template changes to major releases. Broke my own rule here, I guess. You should get an error, though, that certain constants are 'undefined'. I don't think the assembler would continue and create a .bin.

Any clue what may cause the O2 not to switch? Could it be related to the coolant temp sensor code?

Could be, but that's fixed in 16.7.

What all do you modify in the template when you tune it?

turbovanmanČ
10-14-2010, 01:33 PM

Sorry for asking, its hard for the first timers to get it all right, I missed it a few times. I shouldn't have asked, my bad, I am out.

moparman76_69
10-14-2010, 02:14 PM
It might, MP tuner only checks for the major release (v16), not the minor. I had intended to keep template changes to major releases. Broke my own rule here, I guess. You should get an error, though, that certain constants are 'undefined'. I don't think the assembler would continue and create a .bin.

Could be, but that's fixed in 16.7.

What all do you modify in the template when you tune it?

map and injector scaling and fan turn on/off temps. I won't start messing with fuel until I get the wideband in this weekend.

ShelGame
10-14-2010, 03:42 PM
Try this and see if you still have issues. I did what you posted above: Scaled for 3-bar MAP, 52pph injectors, adjusted fan temps. It compiled with no errors.

moparman76_69
10-14-2010, 03:51 PM
Try this and see if you still have issues. I did what you posted above: Scaled for 3-bar MAP, 52pph injectors, adjusted fan temps. It compiled with no errors.

Thanks I'll try it when I get home and see what happens.

moparman76_69
10-14-2010, 08:14 PM
No dice. It does the same thing the one's I did do. I hear a relay click on/off repetitively and the CEL and fuel pacer light flash and I get no start.

ShelGame
10-14-2010, 08:53 PM
Hmm, OK. Let me double check it in my van. I'm pretty sure I have this same version in it now. But, mines not scaled for injectors or MAP.

ShelGame
10-15-2010, 08:01 AM
OK, my 'fix' for the charge temp sensor must not be right. I'll try to figure it out today...

ShelGame
10-15-2010, 08:14 AM
OK, try this - new v16.8 .asm with the templates I sent before. I recompiled for you. Hopefully, this fixes it...

1BADVAN
10-15-2010, 11:49 AM
if you only hear the fuel pump click and not run to pressurize the line you have something wrong. Either the chip orientation or the cal was corrupted when burned. It happens to me all the time i have to erase, then do a blank test on the chip and then burn the cal and do a verify when that happens sometimes the chips crap out too. But the instant i know the fuel pump is not running i don't try cranking just go back to the burner or double check the chip orientation and that it making contact with all the pins

moparman76_69
10-15-2010, 12:53 PM
I think its the .bin file, I've burned many chips and the only problem I have had with no-start are the new 16.7 files.

Juggy
10-15-2010, 12:57 PM
I think its the .bin file, I've burned many chips and the only problem I have had with no-start are the new 16.7 files.

i just made a copy of this cal and modified it some for my car. I will let you know sometime this afternoon if I have issues trying to get the car to key on!

that scaling option is SAWEEET!!!!! took my D-cal curves and moved them over for most of the main stuff.

im kind of lost on the coolant enrichment tables as they are named differently, and the ones i could find look different then the curves i had so now i dont know whats what or what ones 2 use....lol. guess we will find out.

EDIT
ok i ran the compiler, got the bin, wrote it to the emulator and im getting a very dim check engine light, theres a click from a solenoid and i got no prime from the pump.

moparman76_69
10-15-2010, 05:42 PM
i just made a copy of this cal and modified it some for my car. I will let you know sometime this afternoon if I have issues trying to get the car to key on!

that scaling option is SAWEEET!!!!! took my D-cal curves and moved them over for most of the main stuff.

im kind of lost on the coolant enrichment tables as they are named differently, and the ones i could find look different then the curves i had so now i dont know whats what or what ones 2 use....lol. guess we will find out.

EDIT
ok i ran the compiler, got the bin, wrote it to the emulator and im getting a very dim check engine light, theres a click from a solenoid and i got no prime from the pump.

what files were you using? the v16.7 or the second one he posted?

Juggy
10-15-2010, 05:46 PM
what files were you using? the v16.7 or the second one he posted?

2nd file

ShelGame
10-15-2010, 08:19 PM
Hmm, OK, try this one. This the the v16.6 asm. It will compile the older templates. So, see if this one starts or not. I know for sure this one runs in my van as-is.

ShelGame
10-17-2010, 12:01 PM
OK, it looks like the WOTBAT addition was causing the mayhem. Not sure why, it's exactly the same as what I hacked into a stock bin many years ago. There's a check of the EEPROM control register in the code, so that must have soemthing to do with it. Anyway, here's an updated v16.8 with the WOTBAT target removed. This one starts and runs my van fine. I'm going to drive on this one all week to make sure there's no more issues and then post it up.

ShelGame
10-17-2010, 03:27 PM
Not sure what the deal is with the WOTBAT code. I changed some things around today and got it to work. But, it gives a code 46 (whcih I also incidentally got with my modified stock code). So, I need to do some more research on the voltage regulator system in the SMEC and SBEC before I can include that tweak.

moparman76_69
10-17-2010, 04:03 PM
Ok I haven't gotten a chance to mess with it anymore this weekend.

moparman76_69
10-19-2010, 11:25 PM
Hmm, OK, try this one. This the the v16.6 asm. It will compile the older templates. So, see if this one starts or not. I know for sure this one runs in my van as-is.

What templates will this compile? I tried using it with the .v16 files the original ones and it gave me a few errors on the compiler. I think some of the issue might be I never got the updated cals as they came out, I wasn't dealing with tuning much so I didn't keep up on those threads.

ShelGame
10-20-2010, 06:58 AM
Yeah, you'll need the updated templates from the latest v16 release. I added a few constants. If you like, you can just copy those constants over from the new tempalte to your template. You just do it in a text editor.

moparman76_69
10-20-2010, 09:30 AM
Ok so the 16.7 or 16.8 cals?

ShelGame
10-20-2010, 10:10 AM
Right.

moparman76_69
10-20-2010, 10:11 PM
Ok so the new 16.8 files seem to work ok. I get the O2 switching at idle, it just doesn't sweep as much as it does on the v15 cal. I have noticed that I'm lean pretty much everywhere which is odd as I would think that at stock boost levels I'd be ok, and I'd be lean at higher levels.