PDA

View Full Version : Question on a socketed LM and it's applications

86Shelby
10-13-2010, 07:55 PM
I came across a socketed LM this weekend. PN 5227535 which is for an '86 TI, the red connector also has 535 written on it so I am positive the board itself is for the same app. It was briefly installed in an 86 SC that had been coverted to GLHS electronics. The cal burned to it was to be the GLHS stage II cal. Both chips were socketed, which make sense since the GLHS cals are on two chips. The car never ran with this LM; all the relays went crazy whenever the ignition was turned on.

Thinking about this; the LM itself wasn't suitable for a GLHS application was it?
A: It likely wouldn't have the hardware needed to run the 4 wire AIS
and/or
B: Since the GLHS cals(and maybe the boards) are unique being on the 2 chips, this could really interfere with how an early TI LM works, right?

I know just enough about this stuff to get myself in trouble and look like an --- doing it.

If this is totally wrong to use in a GLHS app, it would still be useable on an 86 log TI setup, or maybe even a TII setup for a Daytona or something???

sdac guy
10-14-2010, 11:50 AM
I'm pretty sure you've got it nailed, as far as incompatibilities go.

I'm not sure if I've ever heard of a GLHS cal running right (or at all) when installed on a stock 86 LM board. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

I would like to know for sure as I am still using a stock 86 LM board on my GLHT. Once it is running again, I was going to upgrade to 87 wiring & LM for flexibility in programming.

Barry

86seeS
10-14-2010, 12:08 PM
i swapped my GLHS to 87 CSX electronics and it worked great took about hour an a half to do just a few pin swaps. got a cindy cal and at worked fine for me

Juggy
10-14-2010, 03:55 PM
i have a computer socketed 87 T1 5227536 is part #

so whats it good for???

cordes
10-14-2010, 06:13 PM
i have a computer socketed 87 T1 5227536 is part #

so whats it good for???

If it's an 87 TI non L-body LM you can for sure use it to make a TII LM

If Wes was able to successfully use a GLHS LM to make an 87' CSX cal work then you should be able to use that same GLHS LM to run 87' TII LM stuff and 87' TI stuff.

I'm not sure about backwards compatibility though.

Juggy
10-14-2010, 06:34 PM
If it's an 87 TI non L-body LM you can for sure use it to make a TII LM

If Wes was able to successfully use a GLHS LM to make an 87' CSX cal work then you should be able to use that same GLHS LM to run 87' TII LM stuff and 87' TI stuff.

I'm not sure about backwards compatibility though.

the part # goes to 86 T1 auto computer....dated 04/04/86
so i am assuming this computer i have was a waste of a socket?

cordes
10-14-2010, 07:17 PM
the part # goes to 86 T1 auto computer....dated 04/04/86
so i am assuming this computer i have was a waste of a socket?

Not necessarily. Some of the 86 boards came with the components to run the TII stuff. I don't know exactly what to look for there, nor do I know of anyone who has modified an 86' TI board to work that way. It is a possibility from what I've read though.