PDA

View Full Version : 71 chevy 3/4 ton power steering swap

W.P._Turbocars
10-13-2010, 11:09 AM
Looking to add power steering to our old 71 Chevy for my dad. Any ideas as to what all years will interchange between what years? I'd think as long as the P/S pump was a v belt that any 350, etc. would work as long as I get the brackets and hoses?

GLHS60
10-13-2010, 01:04 PM
I added P/S years ago on a similar truck for my dad. Steering boxes from 1973 to about 1986 seem plentiful and are a direct fit. You must get the pitman arm from the donor and in my case I had to notch a bumper bracket for steering box clearance. Also try to get the hoses with your donor pump as there were a couple of design pump fittings. GM cars used a short style water pump on cars until 1968 and long style from 1969 on but trucks used the short style until 1972 so you need a P/S pump brackets for the short style. Often older engines used a smaller front balancer so the P/S bracket might have to be clearanced to fit your 1971 engine. Also Corvettes used the short style water pump until 1982 so those brackets will often work. If you have trouble finding brackets from a short water pump you can switch the 1971 over to the long style water pump complete with all pulleys, belts and brackets but this will relocate your alternator so you might have to extend your wires. The long style water pump used shorter belts and is normally much easier to locate. eg 1973-1986 pickup donor vehicle for complete setup.

Thanks
Randy

black86glhs
10-13-2010, 03:58 PM
Gary, Check out this link. Even if you don't want t oget stuff from them, it should give you answers t osome of your questions.
http://www.lmctruck.com/
You'll need the right crank pulley and assuming it is all original, it should have a short WP on it, so later brackets won't work. Corvettes used the short WP until 82, so a pump and brackets from one of them my work.

54inches
10-13-2010, 04:53 PM
1967-1972 are all the same.

1973-1987 is the new bodystyle, but may work as well.

The BEST website is probably CK5.com. It is mainly for Blazers, but caters to ALL body styles from 1967-1991. Basically, the C,K,V Bodies. Think Square. :)
Def get you one of those LMC catalogs for year specific parts. They are free too. You will probably need a new gear box.

I am the same screenname over there.