PDA

View Full Version : TIII Anyone have roller rocker failures?

Directconnection
10-12-2010, 09:27 PM
I know iturbo has.... but anyone else. His post last week was the 1st I have ever heard of it, and upon inspecting mine.... about half of them have the roller's pin offset to one side a bit vs. centered. They peen over the ends, so it should walk at all.. or maybe just a tad. But I do have ONE that I noticed that the peened end walked inside the pin's bore....

turbovanmanČ
10-12-2010, 09:34 PM
I've had some with the roller hardening coming off.

A few have had rollers die, one even bought a car with the rocker arm missing as the cam lobe was wiped out.

"Top Fuel" Bender
10-12-2010, 10:16 PM
I've seen a few loose the plastic tip on lifter and break the rocker in half
I offered to make solid adjustable rocker/lifters but it didn't go to far
Wallace White was also looking into them bit stopped
I think someone used to offer a shim kit help center the rocker

turbovanmanČ
10-12-2010, 10:33 PM
Don't think it was the plastic retainer that caused it. Me and others have run them successfully without them, :nod:

Directconnection
10-12-2010, 11:04 PM
Maybe iTurbo's failures were due to the roller not lined up properly? ie: not the right shim thicknesses?

I DON'T want my roller's pin to walk out the side of the rocker like his has done....

Directconnection
10-14-2010, 11:54 PM
Looking mine over, it appears that half of mine have the roller's pin not quite centered. And a few of those look offset quite a bit... I am wondering if the previous owner knocked out the pins in order to clean all the needle bearings... and didn't get them back in quite right (which would render the peened ends useless now) Thinking this out.... he really wasn't mechanically inclined to be able to re-install them in the 1st place. hmmm....

Is it normal for you guy's to see the roller wheel's pin not quite centered?

turbovanmanČ
10-15-2010, 02:58 AM
Is it normal for you guy's to see the roller wheel's pin not quite centered?

I'll have a look.

86Shelby
10-15-2010, 11:46 AM
Many of mine weren't centered perfectly either. None were in danger of sliding out or loose at all; just not perfectly centered. Likely just tolerance stack up between machining and the fixture used to put that circular peen in the pins at assembly.

After pressing pins out I don't see any way to get them back in without damaging the rocker. It may be possible after dressing the end of the pin that comes out last. Pressing them out left grooves on the side of the rocker the pin came out since the peened end got deformed going through the rollers. They press out very easily. FWIW many of the pins and rollers had normal wear that would require replacement when I took them apart.