PDA

View Full Version : lean and mean, wanna be rich and fat

trannybuster
10-11-2010, 04:48 PM
To no avail my egts rocket at wot, Ive tried all kinds of stuff over a month span. Right now IM running the BB60, and it idles and cruises fantastic((1200f 55-60mph)), but I can do a wot run and egts take off, right to 1500 then I let off cause there isnt any stopping it at 20psi. My a/f says Im running just a hair rich.List of mods
Custom plenum and 70mm tb
TU header
T3/T4 Stg 1 wheel .68 a/r
NPR intercooler large
+40s
255walboro
Forged internals
Ported head
afpr set at 55psi
Ostrich (obviously)
3bar
New fuel filter
Checked timing its good. Was getting some knock, dropped timing back a smidge, looks like 2and 3 cydlinders are rujnning the leanest as those plugs had broken insulators from detonation..ouch..My vacuum is 18 and 1000rpm Ive checked tps sensors voltage and it is good. Also have checked fuel psi multiple times(pinched line it went to 100psi). The warm weather is fast fading and so are my hopes of doing any 1/4 runs...I wanna but a quaife but right now it seems a waste of time until this is fixed....Any help appreciated.

turbovanmanČ
10-11-2010, 05:58 PM
What's wrong with 1500 egt's?

As for detonation, do you have the SES set to flash?

What trim turbo?

What fuel?

What cam and have you checked cam timing?

What's BB60?

What head?

trannybuster
10-11-2010, 06:21 PM
What's wrong with 1500 egt's? As I said I 'stop' wot at 1500, Ive seen 1600 but only brielfy..so 1500egts if I can manage it are okay at wot??
I mean with +40s shouldnt I be able to drown the engine which btw is 2.2

As for detonation, do you have the SES set to flash?

Yes it does flash, the timing isnt the issueits the 1500+ egts, it will run right to 1600 if I keep the foot planted!

What trim turbo?

t3/t4 hmm 50trim stage1 wheel with .68 exhaust

What fuel?

Was running some 115, but right now becasue of all this tuning high octane

What cam and have you checked cam timing?
stocker

What's BB60?
BLUEBERRY60
What head? [/quote]

Ive rescaled the injectors with zchem, no issue there, and besides ugly egt's it runs very well.

turbovanmanČ
10-11-2010, 06:22 PM
1600 is fine with forged pistons.

I used to hit 1700 with my G-head combo, no damage.

I don't run an EGT gauge anymore.

trannybuster
10-11-2010, 06:25 PM
Hmm....well I guess Ill pull the old girl out tmorrow if it doesnt rain and do another bout of last minute tuning one last time...1600 no issues eh? Arent you known for breaking sh$$ though..lol...

turbovanmanČ
10-11-2010, 06:27 PM
Hmm....well I guess Ill pull the old girl out tmorrow if it doesnt rain and do another bout of last minute tuning one last time...1600 no issues eh? Arent you known for breaking sh$$ though..lol...

Ouch, hahahaa, but yeah, I break shitt leaning out, not thru EGT's.

If you have an adjustable cam gear, altering cam timing can alter EGT's.

What's your AF ratio?

trannybuster
10-11-2010, 06:42 PM
Ouch, hahahaa, but yeah, I break shitt leaning out, not thru EGT's.

If you have an adjustable cam gear, altering cam timing can alter EGT's.

What's your AF ratio?

Actually the fact you have broke a few things is why I value your opinon, what better way to learn, painful true, but usually taught once. Im running a narrow band, yes I know, I should have a wide in there. I almost jumped on the mrx sale but I need traction badly becasue the lbody is sooo light. My af lights are always green which is what I dont get, I suppose thats why narrow bands are just 'okay.'

turbovanmanČ
10-11-2010, 06:47 PM
Well honestly, I still use the Dawe's, its way easier to see drag racing than looking at my AF gauge, too much going on.

As for the green, test the ox sensor to make sure its ok, if yeah, then you know for sure you have enough fuel.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/vbarticles.php?do=article&articleid=22

trannybuster
10-11-2010, 06:56 PM
When I say always green I mean at wot, but I will certainly check my sensor as you advise. THanks for tips thus far, appreciated.

turbovanmanČ
10-11-2010, 06:58 PM
When I say always green I mean at wot, but I will certainly check my sensor as you advise. THanks for tips thus far, appreciated.

Of course, they don't work except at WOT.

Are you using a Dawes?

If using the autometer, does it bounce around at cruise and idle?

No problem, glad my carnage can help others, lol.

bakes
10-11-2010, 07:01 PM
If you are detonating your ECU will pull timing witch will push your EGT UP( burning in the exhaust instead of the cylinder) !

trannybuster
10-11-2010, 07:06 PM
Of course, they don't work except at WOT.

Are you using a Dawes?

If using the autometer, does it bounce around at cruise and idle?

No problem, glad my carnage can help others, lol.

Autometer, and it does bounce at idle and cruise with LIGHT pedal. Its possible the knock light will flicker fast enough it wont light up..?...maybe Ill trow some more 115 octane in it and see what happens then. Its pretty reseaonable anyhow, I think 5.25 gallon.

turbovanmanČ
10-11-2010, 09:14 PM
Autometer, and it does bounce at idle and cruise with LIGHT pedal. Its possible the knock light will flicker fast enough it wont light up..?...maybe Ill trow some more 115 octane in it and see what happens then. Its pretty reseaonable anyhow, I think 5.25 gallon.

No, unless you have changed the knock sensor parameter and your knock sensor is good, they are accurate.

If you haven't played with the timing tables and running race fuel, I highly doubt your knocking unless you have the cam timing off.

cordes
10-11-2010, 09:20 PM
If you are detonating your ECU will pull timing witch will push you EGT UP( burning in the exhaust instead of the cylinder) !

We probably have a winner here.

I really need to write down the procedure for dragging the brakes and put it in the KC. Let me search for it and come back to the thread...

cordes
10-11-2010, 09:29 PM
http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26882&highlight=drag+brakes

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30081&highlight=dragging+brakes

As for dragging the brakes, I hold down the brakes at WOT in order to maintain a set RPM. I will run the car at that RPM at WOT for close to 1 minute and then record my EGT, AFR, and boost level. I do that every 500RPMs, adjusting which gear I'm in so that I'm not doing 100+ while testing the upper rpms etc.

If you drop the boost down, go through the RPM range, make your adjustments, raise the boost 1PSI at a time and repeat, you will have a very safe tune with great drivability. This method has been great to me.

turbovanmanČ
10-11-2010, 09:34 PM
To hijack and without reading the whole thread, where do you find one of these-

6. The charge temp sensor is accurate so long as you are using one of the sensors with the exposed wires on it rather than the enclosed ones which apparently came stock. It was suggested by Bucar that a small zip tie was used to keep the wires from fatiguing and breaking off. 5 Digits suggested that a tiny dab of RTV would accomplish the same thing also.

trannybuster
10-11-2010, 09:53 PM

I actually had one of these, but the small wire broke off, wish Id known about the zip tie trick..I think I bought mine through O Reilleys, but it took them two times to get the right sensor, In fact I wnet back year l8r to buy another and there book didnt even list a 87 Charger/turbo..great.

cordes
10-12-2010, 05:46 PM

That's how most of the parts store ones I've seen are set up. IIRC 5 digits said that a Dakota in 98? had a compatible one with the open element from the factory. He was a little hazy on the exact year and motor at the time so my elephant memory can't pick that one up for sure right now.

turbovanmanČ
10-12-2010, 06:26 PM
Ok, I'll have to do some digging.

trannybuster
10-13-2010, 12:01 PM
I tried my FWDstg5 , same thing, gets to 1600f egt by 125mpg...also I cant get above 20psi, wtf...when I first got the car up and running 24psi was easy, not it will not build above 20psi with the pedal glued to floor no matter what cal I try. Ive checked the intercooler and no leaks..

puppet
10-13-2010, 12:22 PM
What's after the turbo (exhaust set-up)?
Where's your EGT probe mounted?

trannybuster
10-13-2010, 12:51 PM
Exhaust is 3.0 inch all the way out, with a borla mufller that you can see stright through it. My egt probe is mounted before the turbo in the manifold.

turbovanmanČ
10-13-2010, 02:08 PM
I tried my FWDstg5 , same thing, gets to 1600f egt by 125mpg...also I cant get above 20psi, wtf...when I first got the car up and running 24psi was easy, not it will not build above 20psi with the pedal glued to floor no matter what cal I try. Ive checked the intercooler and no leaks..

What are you using for boost control?

Unplug the wastegate and see if you can get more boost.

trannybuster
10-13-2010, 05:25 PM
Waste gate is shimmed, obviously I can add more shim but its pretty tight now. There isnt much more to check, my bov is a Type H Blow Off Valve . Maybe its possible Ive got the waste gate arm pulled the wrong way? This thing should make 30psi with full open wastegate shouldnt it? I also pressure checked my pcv and its holding.

turbovanmanČ
10-13-2010, 05:44 PM
Waste gate is shimmed, obviously I can add more shim but its pretty tight now. There isnt much more to check, my bov is a Type H Blow Off Valve . Maybe its possible Ive got the waste gate arm pulled the wrong way? This thing should make 30psi with full open wastegate shouldnt it? I also pressure checked my pcv and its holding.

Ok, but WHAT are you using to control the boost?

What happens when you remove the line off the wastegate?

trannybuster
10-13-2010, 06:35 PM
No line to wastegate, using the spring pressure with the large can.

trannybuster
10-14-2010, 01:28 PM
First guy to supply the answer that gets me my boost back gets lunch..aka paypal 25.00!!

turbovanmanČ
10-14-2010, 01:47 PM
I would pressure test your piping from the turbo to the tb.

If you can and it pass's, then try a spring on the wastegate arm, if you get more boost, your wastegate is done, if you don't, then you have a timing issue, something is plugged, poor flowing IC or bad turbo.

trannybuster
10-14-2010, 05:21 PM
Ha, finally, before I left for work I checked the timing, brake booster valve, pulled the dist cap and checked number one, all were good. Yesterday I read a post about the bov, about the brass ones and they should be polished up, which mine needed as it had some slight scuffing not bad but I thought what the hell, so I did that and applied a thin coat of antisieze AND added back 2 washers, now 20+psi no issues AND my egts are managable....must be all that added fuel was just being dumped right into the manny.
I appreciate all the help thrown my way!!

turbovanmanČ
10-14-2010, 05:23 PM
Awesome, :nod: