PDA

View Full Version : Chugging and a bonus sound

dwh4784
06-22-2006, 04:11 PM
Another problem with my 84 Daytona. The first time I start it up every day it runs quiet and nice. But if I go somewhere for lunch, leave work, or any other time during the day it makes a really annoying chugging sound for a few minutes. It's only on acceleration, sounds like an old Ford pickup! My first thought was an exhaust leak, I replaced the donut and bolts with no change. As soon as it warms up a little it goes away.

Now I don't know if it's related but this isn't the only weird sound this car makes. Over 2500 RPM's it has a really loud metallic rattle, sounds like two cookie sheets being slapped together. I think this is a heat/dust shield, but I haven't been able to find it and make it stop. It started after installing front and passenger side poly mounts. Two other TM buddies have listened to it and can't place it, other than it's from the back of the motor somewhere.

magtec
06-22-2006, 04:40 PM
for the chugging: any codes? one of my lebarons does the same thing, runs fine on cold starts, but on warm starts it chugs and feels like it's down at least once cylinder for a minute or so - then magically it's fine. haven't really had a chance to mess with it, but it throws egr and air charge temp codes.

for the rattle: use a mechanic's stethoscope or a long screwdriver to try to pinpoint the noise. i had a similar problem with the same lebaron, turned out to be a bent heat shield.

dwh4784
06-22-2006, 04:44 PM
No codes at the moment, see my other thread "Can't Clear Codes" about that hassle. Which shield did your's turn out to be? Right now I'm guessing it's the dust shield between the block and tranny....hopefully the lower one.

magtec
06-23-2006, 06:22 PM
saw that thread after replying to this one. so driveability isn't affected when it's chugging?

it was the lower transmission dust shield, and it made quite a racket - a very loud grinding/buzzing sound that happened at certain RPMs and mostly went away once things warmed up.