PDA

View Full Version : Alternative to molded carpet?

altered7151
12-30-2005, 04:31 PM
I've stripped the carpet in my SC for two reasons, first of all it was absolutely disgusting, and secondly its heavy:) . I was thinking of using some thin marine grade carpet to put back down, just to cover up the bare floor. Has anybody done this with a fair amount of success? I'm just worried about getting it to conform to the floor.

GLHS592
12-30-2005, 05:58 PM
I wouldn't mess with that stuff. Try an ACC carpet. It weighs a fraction of what the stock carpet weighs and it looks better too. You can always pull all the sound deadener out like I did.

altered7151
12-30-2005, 11:30 PM
I wouldn't mess with that stuff. Try an ACC carpet. It weighs a fraction of what the stock carpet weighs and it looks better too. You can always pull all the sound deadener out like I did.

ACC? Is that the pre-molded carpet you get through summit, jc whitney etc? It would have to weight less than the stock carpet I pulled out, considering it was completely soaked in oil. Looked like the previous owner spilled a case of oil behind the seats and just left it there. Made for an interesting removal.

GLHSKEN
12-31-2005, 10:46 AM
ACC is goood stuff. You can buy it with the backing or without..

http://www.accmats.com/

BadAssPerformance
12-31-2005, 10:56 AM
True... w/o the backing it is waaaay lighter than the stock stuff too :thumb: I bought an ACC rug to put in my Z after I put the cage in it, and I think the color is probably correct too, hard to tell as the factory stuff is well faded.

I forget if I got it from ACC or another vendor online that sells ACC stuff for less.. shop around!

Turbodave
12-31-2005, 12:56 PM
The aftermarket carpets are a lot lighter like they said. The ACC one that is in my shadow looks factory and probably saved about 30lb over the old heavy rubber backed carpet.

altered7151
12-31-2005, 12:57 PM
Thanks for the tip guys!