PDA

View Full Version : Noisey A555

Reaper1
09-28-2010, 10:16 PM
My transmission was rebuilt a few years ago by Cliff Ramsdell as an A555/520 hybrid with an OBX diff. I've always used Red Line MTF in it and kept it fresh, although every time I've drained it the fluid has been metallic looking, however after reading other's experiences with the OBX, that's what I attributed it to.

Right now I haven't been driving the car much because my motorcycle gets much better fuel milage, so I don't know if what I'm hearing is "normal" or if it is something to be worried about. I know the 555 by nature is "noisey" due to the agressive pitch on the gears.

The noise I'm hearing ONLY happens when I put a load on it from the engine. It doesn't happen when I'm coasting out of gear, or if the clutch is in. It doesn't happen if there is no load from the engine and it is in gear and the clutch is engaged. It doesn't seem to be gear dependant, speed dependant, or rpm dependant. I don't have any issues shifting, or any odd vibrations. The best way to describe the noise I'm hearing is a "whirring".

Since the car has kind of become a secondary vehicle I suppose I'm more jumpy at odd noises that I don't remember. I just want to know what people think it might be and if I should be worried. I can't afford to grenade the tranny, so I'm praying and crossing fingers that it's the natural music of the A555.

Thanks for the input! :thumb:

turbovanmanČ
09-28-2010, 10:32 PM
If I had to guess, I'd say the main shaft bearing surface is going out, I had a customers 555 do the same thing, took it apart, found this-

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46305

Not sure I'd say its an OBX thing, my auto doesn't fill the fluid with metal.

Reaper1
09-29-2010, 09:28 AM
CRAP! :( I don't have the money or time for this right now! I don't even know if I have a spare shaft because it has to be an '89 shaft.

Why....it all comes crashing down at once....

BadAssPerformance
09-29-2010, 09:56 AM
If I had to guess, I'd say the main shaft bearing surface is going out, I had a customers 555 do the same thing, took it apart, found this-

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46305

Not sure I'd say its an OBX thing, my auto doesn't fill the fluid with metal.

Your auto also has a filter...

Both of my OBX's have put metalic grit in the fluid... probably good to change the fluid after OBX break in?

A whirring noide in all gears is possibly the main shaft or diff bearings. Maybe just not clean fluid? If its not too bad yet, maybe a fluid change will help?

tryingbe
09-29-2010, 10:31 AM
My 89 Daytona Shelby had a noisy A555 once...

http://www.thelostartof.net/trans/DDtrans_0074.JPG
http://www.thelostartof.net/trans/ddtrans_0237.JPG
http://www.thelostartof.net/trans/ddtrans_0238.JPG

turbovanmanČ
09-29-2010, 01:54 PM
Your auto also has a filter...

Both of my OBX's have put metalic grit in the fluid... probably good to change the fluid after OBX break in?

Yes and no, grit doesn't get filtered out, its too fine and the pan is clean, meaning the OBX isn't shedding.

I would do like you suggest, run a new OBX for a few miles then change the fluid, one of my CV shafts has a nice worn off area right at the end.

Reaper1
09-29-2010, 01:58 PM
Yeah, I've changed the fluid 3 times since the build and every time it's had the metallic look to it. :(

turbovanmanČ
09-29-2010, 02:26 PM
It has been mentioned that maybe Cliff's repair of the main shaft doesn't hold up as he gets them welded.

BadAssPerformance
09-29-2010, 09:10 PM
Yeah, I've changed the fluid 3 times since the build and every time it's had the metallic look to it. :(

same here... pretty sure its all from the OBX in mine.

Reaper1
09-29-2010, 11:24 PM
Will a small spline A543 shaft work as a replacement for an '89 A520? It's still a 3.50 FD. If it'll work, then I do have a spare shaft! :thumb:

135sohc
09-29-2010, 11:49 PM
I believe it should. Several threads mentioned that the only difference between the 89 520/555 I-shaft and the 523/543/568 shaft is the addition of the pressed on bearing race for the later transmissions.

Reaper1
09-30-2010, 09:20 AM
Nice! The only thing I'd have to worry about is the same thing JT went through with his race and oil slinger. Oh yeah...and finding the friggin bearing. :(

turbovanmanČ
09-30-2010, 01:04 PM
You should use both shafts as they mesh and they can have a different tooth profile.

Reaper1
09-30-2010, 07:15 PM
You mean the pinion and ring gear? The rest of the gears come off the main shaft from what I remember and understand. I agree. If I go through the effort of pulling everything out of the case, then I might as well pull the diff out as well and do it all right! Of course that requires money (I have none), time (I have none), and tools (I can probably get the major pieces apart, but I don't have presses and such).

So...that leaves me just limping the tranny along until I can do all that, or replace it. :(

Anybody got the winning Power Ball numbers for the next drawing?