PDA

View Full Version : 70's Volares and Aspens

Bozo
09-27-2010, 11:46 AM
I did a quick search for anyone on here that has restored (or have the fantastic luck to have an unrestored one) of the Plymouth Volares or Dodge Aspens. I have been searching for a new project and wanted to do a V8 and just can't bring myself to do a chebby or ferd.

So, has anyone ever rodded, restored or both any of these? I would like to have a streetable rod. How hard is it to swap a Leaning Tower of Power to an 8? I also wouldn't mind to restore a S/C or RR, but need to know more about them. I found a pretty rough S/C on CL, but don't know anything about them. Any help provided would be appreciated.

Thanks!

cordes
09-27-2010, 12:18 PM
Why not do a turbo slant 6? There are guys doing fantastic things with those.

54inches
09-27-2010, 01:52 PM
I have very fond memories of my Grandmother's 76 Volare. Orange with Brown Vinyl top and I believe orange and brown interior.

Why not do an early 70s duster or something like that? Much better looking.

Good Luck finding one!

Bozo
09-27-2010, 02:29 PM
Thanks guys. I hadn't thought of turbocharging the 6. I have found a couple of Volares and an Aspen and all of them are pretty inexpensive, hence the reason I thought I would go with one of those. BTW, MY Grandmother (Good Lord rest her soul) drove a '74 Duster with said Slant 6.

supercrackerbox
09-28-2010, 01:48 AM
Get ahold of Spoolinhard on here. He and is dad are currently restoring an Aspen R/T.

Mr overkill
09-28-2010, 02:06 PM
yea i HAD a 77 volare rr spitfire orange

getting married and buying a house i ended getting rid of the shell

looking at getting one again

spoolinhard
09-28-2010, 03:47 PM
Yup, my dad is building an 80 aspen r/t. He is bulding a 496 stroker for it. Sheetmetal is definately tough to come by, its best to get a solid one as there really isnt any replacement parts for them.

Also, they came with /6's in them, dont know why you would want to put one in them tho. My dad has an 80 volare parts car with a /6 in it.

Bozo
09-28-2010, 04:50 PM
Thanks and I received your PM also. I'm not lookng to put a six in, I was inquiring how difficult changing from the 6 over to a V8 would be.

Thanks again!!

Tony

spyder
09-28-2010, 08:24 PM
I've had my share , '78 Kit car , '79 Sport Wagon , '80 Aspen /6 & still have the Super Coupe .

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showpost.php?p=695536&postcount=73

Great cars , priced like Turbo Mopars . My advice , buy the best one you can find , these cars are SUPER rust prone , don't waste your time on rusted junk , too many nice , cheap examples out there .....

If it's /6 , I wouldn't waste the money on a V8 , Slants LOVE boost . Tommy (Shaker223) managed an 11.77 @ 117 with a STOCK longblock /6 (tired) , 2.76 gears & 3,500 lb race weight , still hauling down 20+ mpg !! His new (very mild) motor will easily get in the 10's once sorted out ( already gone 11.02 ) .

Bozo
09-28-2010, 08:30 PM
OK, thanks! As I posted earlier, I never gave a thought to boosting the 6. I assume there's info on the manifold, etc?

Thanks again and I welcome any additional info also!!

OK, did a search and found Shaker223's post on his car. I would really like to learn what you guys are doing for improvements with the replacement motor.

Thanks again!!!!!

spyder
09-28-2010, 11:13 PM
OK, thanks! As I posted earlier, I never gave a thought to boosting the 6. I assume there's info on the manifold, etc?

Thanks again and I welcome any additional info also!!

OK, did a search and found Shaker223's post on his car. I would really like to learn what you guys are doing for improvements with the replacement motor.

Thanks again!!!!!

This should give you the info you need , build is pretty mellow . We were stunned how much power the stock motor made , Slants just Love boost !!

http://www.theturboforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139995.0

Boltthrower
09-28-2010, 11:55 PM
i have 2 76 aspen r/t's rotting away if you need anything off them.

Bozo
09-29-2010, 06:21 AM
i have 2 76 aspen r/t's rotting away if you need anything off them.

OK, I just might. I will PM you for more info once I get to that point. Thanks!

Boltthrower
09-29-2010, 09:21 PM
OK, I just might. I will PM you for more info once I get to that point. Thanks!

not a problem. i just want them gone. kills me to see them rotting away. cheap, cheap, cheap!

shaker223
09-29-2010, 09:52 PM
What Spyder said!!...we were shocked at what the stock motor took before I melted a piston.

3 summers worth of beating and A LOT of detonation in the first month or so before we sorted it out. A lesser motor would have expired. Spyder and I just laughed...you should have heard how loud one of them was.....Take a 3 pound hammer and hit the side of the block as hard as you can...that is what it sounded like...no joke....that was spring 2007.

fast forward to Fall 2009.....3000+ beat street miles and over 20 full throttle track passes along with many-many aborted ones at 20+ psi of boost. The last 7 passes at the track and month or so were at or near 30psi. The rings were all lined up on the melted piston. Almost all of the damage was below the rings. Almost not detectable from the top.

http://i52.tinypic.com/zwhjjk.jpg

fleckster
09-30-2010, 12:20 PM
As far as Slant 6 to V8 conversion, the easiest way is to use the Schumacher conversion engine mounts. Then it's a bolt in deal. Need the correct trans to go with which ever engine you decide. (Slant 6 use a different bellhousing pattern and therefore transmission case than the small block V8s and the Blig Blocks are different from the Slant 6 and small block as well.)