PDA

View Full Version : Looking to buy a PT Cruiser

tryingbe
09-23-2010, 01:23 AM
Girlfriend is looking to buy a PT Cruiser.

What are some good forums? Other than autotrader, craigslist, ebay, what are some other good site to find them?

What are the common problems? I'm looking for an n/a, don't think she'll want a turbo.

Thanks.

rich tideswell
09-23-2010, 09:52 AM
the verticle from control arm bushings are common failure points. if you drive one and it has torque steer, check there first.

Turbodave
09-23-2010, 11:15 AM
We've got a 2003 with about 80k miles. 2.4 na with a 5speed.

My wife likes it, and it's never left us stranded or anything but has had more than it's share of problems for a car of that age/mileage.

30K misfire issues - replaced plugs and wires
35k rear brake pad fell apart - replaced rear pads
40k more misfire issues - did plugs again
50k still having random misfires -finally found TSB that had change to a hotter plug, that resolved that issue.
50k A/C not working and engine stalling at stoplights - one speed of the two speed rad fan failed, replaced fan (stalling was due to A/C compressor load because of no airflow across condensor)
55k water pump leaking - replaced pump and timing belt.
60k Left front wheel bearing noisy
65k clunk from the rear suspension - replaced the Watts linkage
75k font end getting really noisy (clunks and rattles) - replaced control arms, struts, tie rod ends and sway bar links. Had to cut hole in floors under carpet to get control arm bolts out. Also replaced worn passenger wheel bearing.
85k still has a clunk in the front end, but not too bad.

From what I've found online it's seems most of the problems we've seen with ours are fairly common.

DC Turismo
09-28-2010, 12:17 AM
ptcrew.com is the best PT-Specific website out there. Decent amount of PT's get sold through there as well. I found mine on Motortrend.com's ads.

Oughtta just get a Turbo, not that big of a MPG difference, N/A's and Turbos are both not good for that lol... before my mods I was getting 24 with my turbo, and the N/A's are estimated to be right around that as well. At least get one to have fun with in other words haha

tryingbe
09-28-2010, 01:21 AM
Thanks for the tips.

Going to check these two out possibly tomorrow.
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/cto/1968039084.html
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/ctd/1975275598.html

Big_P
09-28-2010, 07:46 AM
PTCrew is good. I haven't been there in a while but the guys there are pretty knowledgable.

Check to make sure the t-belt / water pump has been replaced if it's got 90k or more! That's a $1000+ job at a shop!