PDA

View Full Version : 10mm to 11mm - In car possible? **CANCELED**

85_600
06-21-2006, 08:35 PM
I'm just wondering what all it takes to make a 10mm 2.2 a 11mm 2.2 Like, what needs tapped (block AND head) and what exactly is tapped to become 11mm. Is it the depth of the head bolt holes, the width or both.

And, the biggy question: Can this be done with the engine in car and, if anyone knows, roughly about how much I would spend to have a shop do this, UNLESS I can do it myself.

Thanks,
Paul

mpgmike
06-21-2006, 09:57 PM
Go grab a head gasket set, an 11 mm tap, and some petroleum jelly. Load up the tap with the PJ and tap in about 1/4", then remove the tap and clean. Repeat until you have the holes tapped the whole way down. The petroleum jelly grabs the little chips as the tap carves them off. Of course, the head must be off to do this.

Mike

85_600
06-21-2006, 10:01 PM
Go grab a head gasket set, an 11 mm tap, and some petroleum jelly. Load up the tap with the PJ and tap in about 1/4", then remove the tap and clean. Repeat until you have the holes tapped the whole way down. The petroleum jelly grabs the little chips as the tap carves them off. Of course, the head must be off to do this.

Mike

That's it? Just the block and no head tapping? If it's that easy I may just try this just to help keep the HG from blowing. Not that I plan cranking up the boost real high, just some security....

Thanks!
Paul

Oh, about how long does this process take? It's been QUITE a while since I tapped something...like, at least 20 years:o

GLHS592
06-21-2006, 10:02 PM
Of course, the head must be off to do this.

That made me laugh. :p

cordes
06-21-2006, 10:16 PM
That's it? Just the block and no head tapping? If it's that easy I may just try this just to help keep the HG from blowing. Not that I plan cranking up the boost real high, just some security....

Thanks!
Paul

Oh, about how long does this process take? It's been QUITE a while since I tapped something...like, at least 20 years:o

Well it will be 10 holes that have to go down several inches about 1/4" at a time. I would make a day of it, and anything less I would chalk up in the bonus category.

85_600
06-21-2006, 10:19 PM
Well it will be 10 holes that have to go down several inches about 1/4" at a time. I would make a day of it, and anything less I would chalk up in the bonus category.

Sounds like I might need more than 5 days to do the tear down and put back together then...that is IF I can find ONE 11mm head bolt..I'm short one..just ask Yogurtslinger...he's the one who lost one of them :p :p

cordes
06-21-2006, 10:22 PM
Sounds like I might need more than 5 days to do the tear down and put back together then...that is IF I can find ONE 11mm head bolt..I'm short one..just ask Yogurtslinger...he's the one who lost one of them :p :p

Lord knows the dealership charges about $5-6 bucks each last I checked. Hopefully you can come up with one free or at a reasonable price.

85_600
06-21-2006, 10:52 PM
Would one tap be enough or will I need more? I just priced some single taps and kits out and single ones are available at Advanced Auto, BUT, I don't recognize any of the brand names. Sears has Craftsman small kits for $30.

Thanks,
Paul

cordes
06-21-2006, 10:54 PM
I would just buy the tap you need. I have got to believe that any decent tap would last through the process. Especially since you will have such good lube on it the whole time.

85_600
06-21-2006, 11:03 PM
I would just buy the tap you need. I have got to believe that any decent tap would last through the process. Especially since you will have such good lube on it the whole time.

:thumb:

tryingbe
06-22-2006, 12:37 AM
Get that head bolt from dealership, it isn't that expensive.

Holley
06-22-2006, 04:45 AM
If you're pulling the head to do this, you could take care of the EGR easily too ;)

JDAWG
06-22-2006, 10:44 AM
Get that head bolt from dealership, it isn't that expensive.
pn 6504060 $3.45 list