PDA

View Full Version : Setting base timing

The S is Silent
12-30-2005, 01:05 PM
I have a few questions about setting the base timing on my caravan.

Which one is the number 1 plug wire? Is it the one closest to the driver side. I should know this...but I want to make sure I'm doing this correctly. So...which wire is it?

Which mark on the bellhousing am I aiming for? Right now, the timing mark on the flywheel is at the bellhousing mark closest to the firewall. Which one should it be at?

I know the basic procedure. Warm up the car...unplug coolant sensor...loosen distributor...turn until it gets where you want it...it's just the specifics that I need.

Thanks,

Matt

The S is Silent
12-30-2005, 01:17 PM
Edit...scratch that...I have number 1 as the cylinder closest to the passenger side, or at least that is what my distrubutor says. Now, which mark am I aiming for?

altered7151
12-30-2005, 01:37 PM
There should be a "0" mark on the bellhousing, but if I remember correctly the 0 is furthest from the firewall. Do you have an adjustable timing light or a set one?

The S is Silent
12-30-2005, 01:39 PM
Ok...from what I have read on TC.com and here, there is a zero mark...I can't seem to find it on my 568...THINK one of the marks is shorter...and I assume that is zero, and if it is, I have a 2* retard mark, zero, and then incriments of 2* with 12* being the mark closest to the firewall.

Oh, and is it normal to have a lot of smoke while timing the car? It's not black smoke, it's the thin white smoke...I think it's gas, but I'm not sure.

The S is Silent
12-30-2005, 01:40 PM
There should be a "0" mark on the bellhousing, but if I remember correctly the 0 is furthest from the firewall. Do you have an adjustable timing light or a set one?

I have a set one. Right now, I have the timing set so it is alligned with the last timing mark in the window. I think I might take it for a spin now.

turbovanmanČ
12-30-2005, 02:27 PM
There should be a bunch of numbers on the bellhousing starting at 0 and towards the bellhousing, ending at 16 or 18 deg. You use the biggest mark to line up with the numbers.

The S is Silent
12-30-2005, 02:35 PM
I don't have numbers on my bellhousing. So I just went with the last one. Which would either be 12* or 14* advance depending on which one I you assume is zero. Either way, it's running A LOT better now, and it doesn't have too much advance because I'm not hearing any detonation.

It feels really good to not be retarded anymore :thumb:

turbovanmanČ
12-30-2005, 02:36 PM
I don't have numbers on my bellhousing. So I just went with the last one. Which would either be 12* or 14* advance depending on which one I you assume is zero. Either way, it's running A LOT better now, and it doesn't have too much advance because I'm not hearing any detonation.

It feels really good to not be retarded anymore :thumb:

Glad you feel that way, :eyebrows:

BIG PSI
12-30-2005, 02:36 PM
The smoke is normal, youre just injecting a lot of fuel b/c of unplugging coolant TEMP sensor, the engine thinks it's cold, hence the higher RPM's.

Anyways, 0 mark is farthest from the fire wall, it should then go in intervals of 4, until it hits 16. I'd go around the bell housing and the timing marks and paint them flat black so theyre easier to read, that's what I did to mine and it made it a ton easier to read!

turbovanmanČ
12-30-2005, 02:38 PM
The smoke is normal, youre just injecting a lot of fuel b/c of unplugging coolant TEMP sensor, the engine thinks it's cold, hence the higher RPM's.

Anyways, 0 mark is farthest from the fire wall, it should then go in intervals of 4, until it hits 16. I'd go around the bell housing and the timing marks and paint them flat black so theyre easier to read, that's what I did to mine and it made it a ton easier to read!

Heh, I use yellow paint marker, way easier, :eyebrows:

BIG PSI
12-30-2005, 02:41 PM
Heh, I use yellow paint marker, way easier, :eyebrows:

yah that's the color I used on my Spirit, remember my yellow and silver paint scheme? Man was it sexy! I just used model paint though. haha:cheer2:

turbovanmanČ
12-30-2005, 02:43 PM
yah that's the color I used on my Spirit, remember my yellow and silver paint scheme? Man was it sexy! I just used model paint though. haha:cheer2:

Hahahaaa, DAD, :drum:

BIG PSI
12-30-2005, 02:51 PM
Hahahaaa, DAD, :drum:

This is the Chuck as a cheerleader: :cheer2: :clap2: :peace: Wow, go Dad, go! What a cheer...

Okay yah this had no relevance to the thread. haha

The S is Silent
12-30-2005, 02:55 PM
oh crap...increments of 4 with the closest one being zero? Are you sure? That means I'm running (calculates in his head) 28* advance on my timing without detonation. That is insane. I just want to verify.

BIG PSI
12-30-2005, 02:58 PM
oh crap...increments of 4 with the closest one being zero? Are you sure? That means I'm running (calculates in his head) 28* advance on my timing without detonation. That is insane. I just want to verify.

Positive, I just checked on my 413. Dude that's disgusting, I dont think you are running that much, I think if you ran that much it would be so advanced that prior to the intake valve opening that it would hardly spark anything?

BadAssPerformance
12-30-2005, 03:00 PM
I beleive on a 5-speed the right (firewall side) edge is 14

The S is Silent
12-30-2005, 03:06 PM
ok...nevermind. The numbers increase in increments of 4, the marks are in increments of 2. I didn't think to check on the a525 I have in the garage until just now. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction guys.

I'm running 14 degrees advance. I'm good.

Oh yeah....thanks for the laughs too.

The S is Silent
12-30-2005, 03:08 PM
Positive, I just checked on my 413. Dude that's disgusting, I dont think you are running that much, I think if you ran that much it would be so advanced that prior to the intake valve opening that it would hardly spark anything?

No, you were right. The numbers are in increments of 4. For some reason...I don't have numbers of my 568. I double checked on my 525...we're all good.

Thanks though.

BadAssPerformance
12-30-2005, 03:10 PM
Cool, my cars have always run good at 14* :thumb:

Dave
12-30-2005, 03:59 PM
14* is always good unless running non-intercooled or 14psi without upgraded fuel.

I've succesfully ran 16.5psi on stock fuel and stock intercooler - front mounted but I had the timing down to 11*, I was too afraid to jack it up to 14* - it would rattle if I got on it with that much timing...

Lee'sdaytona
12-31-2005, 08:07 PM
as I remember, my 520 was 0*-12* ---> 14* is out of the window if I remember correctly....
-Lee

cordes
12-31-2005, 08:13 PM
A lot of misinformation on this thread unless I am way off base, and running about 25* of timing.

on my 555, 523, and 568 the farthest hash toward the rad is 0*. It then increases 2* with each hash going toward the firewall.

I always double check my 555 case when setting the timing on my shadow to make sure that the first mark is indeed 0 as my mind gets blurry some times. However there is absolutly no doubt in my mind that it increases in 2* increments.

turbovanmanČ
12-31-2005, 08:44 PM
Correct, each has mark is 2 deg, starting at 0 and ending in 16 if memory is correct.

PTT
08-08-2006, 11:01 PM
My A523 only has marks....no numbers. Is that common?

cordes
08-08-2006, 11:02 PM
My A523 only has marks....no numbers. Is that common?

Yes, some of my trannies don't have the numbers either, just the hashes. As Simon stated two posts up, it starts at 0 and goes up in two degree increments.