PDA

View Full Version : Barrett Jackson Las Vegas 2010

unluckyty
09-20-2010, 10:16 PM
#701 Glhs 1987 http://www.barrett-jackson.com/application/onlinesubmission/lotdetails.aspx?aid=383&ln=314&pop=0&it=1

Nice low mileage car.

Greg

contraption22
09-20-2010, 10:40 PM
Oh Goody.

Let's see if this one goes for $30k!

Barrett-Jackson: Artificially inflating the value of used cars for almost 40 years.

GLHNSLHT2
09-20-2010, 11:23 PM
There was a CSX-T listed on their site for I think the one in Florida starting at 23k.

unluckyty
09-20-2010, 11:39 PM
[QUOTE=contraption22;715559 Barrett-Jackson: Artificially inflating the value of used cars for almost 40 years.[/QUOTE]

Except if I tried to sell a car there, I would lose my a$$.

Greg

168glhs1986
09-21-2010, 05:01 PM
Except if I tried to sell a car there, I would lose my a$$.

Greg

Now I know where you got your screen name:thumb:

cordes
09-21-2010, 05:30 PM
This will be an interesting one to follow.

G-man
09-21-2010, 07:50 PM
Regarding GLH-S #701......

I wanted to see how this original car with 2900 miles would stack up against my '87 GLH-S (#995) that I bought new and now has 5210 miles on it. Was even going to look at it since it was only 2 hours away.

I also talked to the first owner who had it. For some reason, the original rims were corroded and now replaced with polished ones that have the black insets (these black insets were '87 Shadow CSX only, were they not?). Also the original Gatorbacks must be long gone due to dry rotting or?

Either way, I'm as curious as you guys as to what this car goes for. By the way, my rims never got pitted and they still sit on the original Gatorbacks. I made sure to protect both tires and rims from day one. But, if you are looking for an all original car, and want this one to be that way, start looking for those rims and tires NOW!

Thanks, Gerry

Original owner of '87 Shadow CSX (8300 miles), '87 Charger GLH-S (5210 miles), '89 CSX-VNT (773 miles), the last G-Body Dodge Daytona IROC/RT (9 miles), plus a '90 Daytona Shelby VNT and a '92 Daytona Shelby IROC 2.5 Turbo ...plus 4 Mustang SVO's, three Saleen Mustangs, A Cobra R , A Mach 1, and two Porsches

cordes
09-21-2010, 08:03 PM

I wanted to see how this original car with 2900 miles would stack up against my '87 GLH-S (#995) that I bought new and now has 5210 miles on it. Was even going to look at it since it was only 2 hours away.

I also talked to the first owner who had it. For some reason, the original rims were corroded and now replaced with polished ones that have the black insets (these black insets were '87 Shadow CSX only, were they not?). Also the original Gatorbacks must be long gone due to dry rotting or?

Either way, I'm as curious as you guys as to what this car goes for. By the way, my rims never got pitted and they still sit on the original Gatorbacks. I made sure to protect both tires and rims from day one. But, if you are looking for an all original car, and want this one to be that way, start looking for those rims and tires NOW!

Thanks, Gerry

Original owner of '87 Shadow CSX (8300 miles), '87 Charger GLH-S (5210 miles), '89 CSX-VNT (773 miles), the last G-Body Dodge Daytona IROC/RT (9 miles), plus a '90 Daytona Shelby VNT and a '92 Daytona Shelby IROC 2.5 Turbo ...plus 4 Mustang SVO's, three Saleen Mustangs, A Cobra R , A Mach 1, and two Porsches

Glad to see you are still on the site.

2.216VTurbo
09-21-2010, 08:59 PM
"I made sure to protect both tires and rims from day one. But, if you are looking for an all original car, and want this one to be that way, start looking for those rims and tires NOW!"

If you were going to completely protect the rims and tires from day one, you'd have to park the car inside the house or something:D

BTW is that dealer added cruise control on the BJ GLHS? Kinda a wicked long cable:confused2:

Chad T
09-21-2010, 09:10 PM

The rims and gatorbacks on that car looked pretty good last year when the car had 1000 less miles on it. I have a feeling they took them off to not have to drive it to FL on old tires.

I think it would help the sale to have the original rims and tires. Here they are on the car almost exactly one year ago.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopost/data/500/87glhswheel1.JPG

Marcus86GLHS
09-22-2010, 04:47 AM
i agree w/ Chad. look at that wheel and tire, near perfect save for a little clear coat prob here and there, tires look driveable. i bet the original wheels are stashed away and go with the car.

yes, it does have cruise control added to it. which is ironic given the fact this car was barely driven for all these years.

there are a lot of really nice, original , low mileage 87S's out there, i dont see how this one could fetch a new record except for the fact it might be the 1st 87 GLHS on the BJ block, that alone tends to inflate the price as we have seen over and over again.

contraption22
09-22-2010, 08:42 AM
Somebody willing to pay Barrett Jackson prices for one of these cars probably isn't in the SD community and might not know the differece that the wheels are polished.

If the original Gatorbacks rotted away, it could thing the best thing that ever happened to that car :)

Shadow
09-22-2010, 12:16 PM
Seeing wheel weights on the outside of an al rim like that makes me cringe!

cordes
09-22-2010, 12:21 PM
Seeing wheel weights on the outside of an al rim like that makes me cringe!

Same here. I don't have them on if I've done anything to the tires at all.

GLHS144
09-24-2010, 05:06 PM
$11,000 after commision BOOOOO!!!!

superbleu
09-24-2010, 06:55 PM
So we are to believe that a car with a $25,000 dollar reserve on ebay, was sold for $11,000 at BJ? HHMMM!!!!

contraption22
09-24-2010, 07:18 PM
What are 1987 dollars worth today?

cordes
09-24-2010, 09:38 PM
What are 1987 dollars worth today?

Factored in for inflation, a lot.

Chad T
09-25-2010, 12:53 AM
So we are to believe that a car with a $25,000 dollar reserve on ebay, was sold for $11,000 at BJ? HHMMM!!!!

That car never sold on ebay and that seller never realized his dream of making a fortune flipping a turbo dodge..:p

I think the highest it got bid up to on there was around 15k?

contraption22
09-25-2010, 01:04 AM
That car never sold on ebay and that seller never realized his dream of making a fortune flipping a turbo dodge..:p

I think the highest it got bid up to on there was around 15k?

I found an online inflation caluclator.

Basically, selling for $11,000 means that it's only worth $5630 dollars in 1987 terms. So it's still down at about half it's original value.

If you paid $12000 for a new GLHS and kept it preserved till now, you would have to sell it for $23,450 just to break even.

Marcus86GLHS
09-25-2010, 05:48 AM
good analysis Mike, i often encounter people who believe their car has "appreciated" just because its current price is higher than its original price but they refuse to acknowledge the time-value of money.

11 grand for that 87S sounds like a pretty fair price when you consider what the recent sales of 87S's have gone for.

this particular car seems to be locked in endless flipping, there's just no love for it, not sure why.

contraption22
09-25-2010, 07:42 AM
good analysis Mike, i often encounter people who believe their car has "appreciated" just because its current price is higher than its original price but they refuse to acknowledge the time-value of money.

11 grand for that 87S sounds like a pretty fair price when you consider what the recent sales of 87S's have gone for.

this particular car seems to be locked in endless flipping, there's just no love for it, not sure why.

Now is just not a good time to be flipping cars. EVERYTHING collectible is way down in value because of the economy. People use their play money to buy that stuff, and people have much less play money these days.

I learned that by watching PAWN STARS. :)

Juggy
09-25-2010, 11:47 AM
I learned that by watching PAWN STARS. :)

great show!!! i had no idea of the stuff people pawned until now! def dont see any cool stuff around here in the pawn shops like they get on the show....

G-man
09-25-2010, 02:49 PM
Well, here's my take. NADA lists the '87 GLH-S worth at over $16,000 in excellent shape. This one, even minus the original tires/rims was worth more than $11,000! How did that '88 CSX-T Shadow sell for over $23,000 a few months ago?

Go figure! Makes no sense to me.....

Anyway, I'm NOT a fan of these dog and pony show auctions. They tend to inflate prices ( they have been known to put false bidders in the crowd), plus the buyers/sellers fees eliminate many of the common collectors with backpacks not suitcases full of cash! I've never bought a car at an auction -- would rather deal with an individual or dealership on a one on one basis so I can get the car's full details. Like to do my homework over a few days, not get caught up in a bidding frenzy that last 20 minutes.

It's a shame about car #701. The original owner kept a log book, as I have done on all my cars. But, I think the seller(s) should have used other venues to sell it. BJ wasn't the place to use for this car. Somebody stole it! Perhaps Hemming Motor News, or Autotrader or a few more ads on this site. The gentleman I talked to in Pennsylvania wanted to keep it. He had a house fire and needed cash to help rebuild things.

My last word on auctions: if the car in question goes high (like the '88 CSX-T) everyone thinks their car, including rat traps are worth a kings ransom. If the car goes low, as in this case, it demoralizes many of us who think cars are like gold bars over time. Shelby Dodge fans fret not: these cars WILL have their day in the sun. Just a matter of time. Until then, we enjoy a well kept secret!

I never bought mine to make a killing or be killed. I only bought them to enjoy them. So far, mission accomplished....lol Most of you can say the same thing.......

unluckyty
09-25-2010, 02:54 PM
I think the CSX-T was helped by the presencce of some of the Shelby collection being auctioned at that event. Several unique Shelby vehicles were actioned.

Greg

johnl
09-25-2010, 04:55 PM
The way I see it, it's an as new condition but old car, so I choose to compare the car to present day but comparable cars. So, set that low mileage creampuff unmolested '87 GLHS beside a clean stock two year old Mitsu or Subaru - same condition. Stock turbo sports sedan beside stock turbo sports sedan. Yes, there's 20 to 25 years between them but the condition of the cars is similar. What would you pay for a two year old Subie? or Mitsu? Yeah, they're faster so you might pay 15K or 20K, depending, but they're gonna depreciate like rocks falling off a cliff, while you'll pay half that for a GLHS; it will not depreciate, it has more conversation value; and maybe it will go up in value. And, you can go to the ShelbyBash in Vegas and rub and bump fenders and other parts with millionaires. LOL

ScottD
09-25-2010, 05:42 PM
$11k seemed to me like a reasonable price for the GLHS.

A lot of nice cars in this auction going for more reasonable prices, especially the cars that are not rare, good to see prices coming down out of the stratosphere.