PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: Looking for a NICE Turbo Mopar. Will pay top dollar.

Turbo224
09-18-2010, 02:21 PM
I am looking for a nice unmolsted Turbo Mopar. I dont want a project car. Must be in running condition, have decent paint, and no rust. I would prefer a totally stock L body, but would consider something slightly modified. Low miles and working a/c a huge bonus. Ideal cars listed below.

86 or 87 GLHS
85-86 GLH-t Omni
85-87 Shelby Charger

Might consider:
84-86 Turdo-Z
89 CSX
Nice turbo swapped rampage

I am not really interested in anything else not listed. I am in no hurry to buy, just looking for the right car.

sy2206
09-19-2010, 03:22 PM
What do you consider "top dollar"? Not trying to be a dick, just saying. To some people top dollar for a Shelby/Dodge car is $8k, to others top dollar is $20k. I understand what you're looking to spend will depend on the car, but even a ballpark range would be beneficial. I might know of some options for ya. :thumb:

Turbo224
09-19-2010, 06:37 PM
Under 10k is probably a little more accurate. Im not looking for a trailer queen, just a clean car that hasn't been screwed with too much. I plan to drive it every day.

contraption22
09-21-2010, 01:03 PM
Vegas, man!

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52889&highlight=barrett

sy2206
09-21-2010, 01:15 PM
Vegas, man!

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52889&highlight=barrett

LOL, he said he's NOT looking for a garage/trailer queen, looking for a daily driver. This car is not daily driver material. And in BJ, I'm sure it'll bring more then $8k.

Turbo224
09-21-2010, 01:48 PM
There are a number of REALLY nice low mile S cars for sale right now, I just don't think I would dare drive one daily. I think I am lowering my expectations for the time being. I'm going to hold out for a GLH that hasn't been modified and see if one pops up.

Juggy
09-21-2010, 02:51 PM
theres a really nice daytona in alberta close to the border. its on ebay. red 86 c/s the car is PIMP. id be scared to drive it DD.....5,800 starting bid no reserve (altho obviously he wants (5800! lol)

edit: its 5600 here the linky

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dodge-DAYTONA-TURBO-Z-CS-TURBO-Z-CS-1986-DODGE-DAYTONA-TURBO-Z-CS-SHELBY-LOW-MILES-MINT-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3f03402940QQitemZ27063 7476160QQptZUSQ5fCarsQ5fTrucks#ht_52198wt_1165

4 l-bodies
09-21-2010, 04:38 PM
There are a number of REALLY nice low mile S cars for sale right now, I just don't think I would dare drive one daily. I think I am lowering my expectations for the time being. I'm going to hold out for a GLH that hasn't been modified and see if one pops up.
Guy in Duluth, MN was selling a 45K black with silver 85 GLHT. Maybe original owner car? Do a search on this forum and you will find it. He never posted any pics, even when asked for them.
Todd

Turbo224
09-21-2010, 05:32 PM
theres a really nice daytona in alberta close to the border. its on ebay. red 86 c/s the car is PIMP. id be scared to drive it DD.....5,800 starting bid no reserve (altho obviously he wants (5800! lol)

edit: its 5600 here the linky

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dodge-DAYTONA-TURBO-Z-CS-TURBO-Z-CS-1986-DODGE-DAYTONA-TURBO-Z-CS-SHELBY-LOW-MILES-MINT-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3f03402940QQitemZ27063 7476160QQptZUSQ5fCarsQ5fTrucks#ht_52198wt_1165

Dang that's nice. Too bad its an automatic. Im not sure I would dare drive that car.

Guy in Duluth, MN was selling a 45K black with silver 85 GLHT. Maybe original owner car? Do a search on this forum and you will find it. He never posted any pics, even when asked for them.
Todd

Thanks, I'll check it out

ShadowFromHell
09-22-2010, 01:15 AM
I have a really nice 89 CSX... Mechanicaly and interior wise. NO RUST. Outside, It needs bumpers, some body work and paint. Im asking 2500, and if you dropped it off at a body shop for a couple weeks, you would have a nice car.

Turbo224
09-22-2010, 10:11 AM
I have a really nice 89 CSX... Mechanicaly and interior wise. NO RUST. Outside, It needs bumpers, some body work and paint. Im asking 2500, and if you dropped it off at a body shop for a couple weeks, you would have a nice car.

Sounds like more work than I am looking for. Thanks

contraption22
09-22-2010, 10:22 AM
LOL, he said he's NOT looking for a garage/trailer queen, looking for a daily driver. This car is not daily driver material. And in BJ, I'm sure it'll bring more then $8k.

I don't see why it wouldn't be good daily driver material. It's low milage and unmolested, it should make a great DD. Of course the downside is that it probably has old original hoses and belts, but once you go through all that and replace it with fresh new stuff, it should be fine.

Pat
09-22-2010, 11:26 AM
How about a Spirit R/T?

rampant150
09-22-2010, 11:53 AM
come to alberta

http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-classic-cars-1982-Dodge-Rampage-Turbo-Shelby-clone-W0QQAdIdZ211793144

Turbo224
09-22-2010, 12:48 PM
I don't see why it wouldn't be good daily driver material. It's low milage and unmolested, it should make a great DD. Of course the downside is that it probably has old original hoses and belts, but once you go through all that and replace it with fresh new stuff, it should be fine.

I think I just don't like the idea of racking up miles on such a low mile numbered car.

How about a Spirit R/T?

I think I want to stick with an 8v, plus I think my Daytona R/T would be jealous.

come to alberta

http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-classic-cars-1982-Dodge-Rampage-Turbo-Shelby-clone-W0QQAdIdZ211793144

Very nice car, I would love to have it, but that's quite the drive to bring it home...

contraption22
09-22-2010, 12:53 PM
I think I just don't like the idea of racking up miles on such a low mile numbered car.

I dont understand that at all.

sy2206
09-22-2010, 01:20 PM
Todd

I saw this car in person a few weeks ago. Again, not daily driver material.

Turbo224
09-22-2010, 01:24 PM

Just my personal feelings, that's all. :o

sy2206
09-22-2010, 01:29 PM

Really? Wow. I would never daily drive a low mileage car like that. When you daily drive something, it gets beat up, thats just the way it is. Dents, rock chips, door dings, rust, scratches, accidents, all that stuff is just part daily driving a car. 99.9% of people don't give 2 shits about their car or yours, "its just a method of transportation" to them. So if they hit you or scratch it, they don't see that being a problem. I dont see why anyone would want to do that with a nice Shelby car. On top of that, when you daily drive something, it's not longer "fun" to drive. It just becomes part of your everyday routine. If you keep something around as a weekend toy, the enjoyment factor goes way up. It's like a treat being able to drive it.

To be completely honest, I'm not sure why anyone would daily drive even a GLHT. In my opinion, drive something that isn't special for a daily driver, so when ---- happens, it's not big deal. Keep the rare cars alive and in nice shape...

Turbo224
09-22-2010, 01:48 PM
Really? Wow. I would never daily drive a low mileage car like that. When you daily drive something, it gets beat up, thats just the way it is. Dents, rock chips, door dings, rust, scratches, accidents, all that stuff is just part daily driving a car. 99.9% of people don't give 2 shits about their car or yours, "its just a method of transportation" to them. So if they hit you or scratch it, they don't see that being a problem. I dont see why anyone would want to do that with a nice Shelby car. On top of that, when you daily drive something, it's not longer "fun" to drive. It just becomes part of your everyday routine. If you keep something around as a weekend toy, the enjoyment factor goes way up. It's like a treat being able to drive it.

To be completely honest, I'm not sure why anyone would daily drive even a GLHT. In my opinion, drive something that isn't special for a daily driver, so when ---- happens, it's not big deal. Keep the rare cars alive and in nice shape...

Well said. I totally understand both points of view. A car isn't much fun if you don't dare drive it. Commuting in a rare, difficult to replace numbered car may not be the best idea for everyone. Lets not forget about winter driving either. To each their own I guess.

contraption22
09-22-2010, 02:05 PM
I dunno,

I think owning a car that you don't drive is a waste of money.

trannybuster
09-23-2010, 12:30 PM
I dunno,

I think owning a car that you don't drive is a waste of money.

Agreed, if your like me I spend 1.5 driving to/from work so If I gotta do it I wanna have fun doing it, thats why I dont feel bad about spending money on the car, I get to enjoy it everyday. It sits during winter months and this is when I do main. to it. THis doesnt address his 'wanted' ad, food for thought while ur lookin.

sy2206
09-23-2010, 01:13 PM
I dunno, I think owning a car that you don't drive is a waste of money.

Then why do you own 4 cars? You can only drive one at a time? I'm not trying to be a dick, don't take that the wrong way. Just sayin... You're totally contradicting yourself.:D

If owning a car you don't drive is a waste of money, then you should sell 3. Drive the contraption to work every day. Drive it to get groceries, and to a movie. Commute in it every day, summer, winter, rain, hail, sunny, etc...

Buy 1 car, and drive it everyday, no matter what...

You can't do it. Why? Because you're a car guy, just like every one of us!:thumb: We all "waste money on cars we don't drive", but thats our hobby, thats what we do. If you bought a canoe and didn't paddle that b!tch to work everyday, it wouldn't be a waste of money, it would be investing in something thats fun, something to keep you busy when you're not at work. Thats what we do, except with cars. We play with them on the weekends when we're not at work.

Again, don't take that the wrong way, I'm not trying to be an a-hole, I know it sounds like it. I'm just saying, there are endless reasons why someone SHOULDN'T daily drive a hobby vehicle.

I actually saw one happen, in person, like 40 mins ago. I was at Fleet Farm(those of us MN/WI/IA guys know Fleet Farm). Theres an employee, a kid, out in the parking lot with the motorized cart pusher, rounding up all the shopping carts. It's about 53deg and raining, so it's not a great day, I'm sure this guy is NOT loving his job right now. Instead of going around the end of the row of cars, he tries to squeeze INBETWEEN two parked cars, and guess what....WHAM!! Right into the RF corner of a Ford Escape SUV. And of course the motor shroud on his cart pusher is a big boxy diamond plate thing. He hit it at WOT(LOL, maybe 1mph, but still), hit it hard enough where the whole Escape was rocking. And of course, what does he do.... Stops, backs up a little, and continues on his way, again going right inbetween cars, and doesn't even take 1 second to inspect for any damage. He just goes about his business like it never happened. It's not his car, he doesn't give two shits.

Now imagine if that was a 2900 mile GLHS? That wouldn't bother you?

LOL, I will argue this to the death, when cars get daily driven, SH!T HAPPENS!!! Buy a daily driver, and keep the nice cars nice!! Even if it's just a cheap 1st gen Neon. You could pick up one of those for cheaper then the insurance deductable and some touch up paint.

J&H Ryan
09-23-2010, 02:41 PM
Selling my Daytona. Paint isn't perfect, but its DD status.

Marcus86GLHS
09-23-2010, 06:06 PM
"......Buy a daily driver, and keep the nice cars nice!! ........."

excellent post Mark.

many of us, myself included (an di bet Mark C. as well), find a lot of joy in just owning a nice clean car that is pampered and sits in a garage, taken outside only on special occasions........it actually makes ownership more enjoyable.

i do not consider that a waste of money.

Turbo3Iroc
09-23-2010, 08:51 PM
A bit far from SLC but you might want to look at this car:

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42929

RattFink
09-23-2010, 10:25 PM
Not on your list, but it looks like a very clean 89 Shelby Daytona 2.2 5 spd.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/sat/cto/1967803060.html

contraption22
09-23-2010, 11:18 PM
Then why do you own 4 cars? You can only drive one at a time? I'm not trying to be a dick, don't take that the wrong way. Just sayin... You're totally contradicting yourself.:D

If owning a car you don't drive is a waste of money, then you should sell 3. Drive the contraption to work every day. Drive it to get groceries, and to a movie. Commute in it every day, summer, winter, rain, hail, sunny, etc...

Buy 1 car, and drive it everyday, no matter what...

You can't do it. Why? Because you're a car guy, just like every one of us!:thumb: We all "waste money on cars we don't drive", but thats our hobby, thats what we do. If you bought a canoe and didn't paddle that b!tch to work everyday, it wouldn't be a waste of money, it would be investing in something thats fun, something to keep you busy when you're not at work. Thats what we do, except with cars. We play with them on the weekends when we're not at work.

Again, don't take that the wrong way, I'm not trying to be an a-hole, I know it sounds like it. I'm just saying, there are endless reasons why someone SHOULDN'T daily drive a hobby vehicle.

I actually saw one happen, in person, like 40 mins ago. I was at Fleet Farm(those of us MN/WI/IA guys know Fleet Farm). Theres an employee, a kid, out in the parking lot with the motorized cart pusher, rounding up all the shopping carts. It's about 53deg and raining, so it's not a great day, I'm sure this guy is NOT loving his job right now. Instead of going around the end of the row of cars, he tries to squeeze INBETWEEN two parked cars, and guess what....WHAM!! Right into the RF corner of a Ford Escape SUV. And of course the motor shroud on his cart pusher is a big boxy diamond plate thing. He hit it at WOT(LOL, maybe 1mph, but still), hit it hard enough where the whole Escape was rocking. And of course, what does he do.... Stops, backs up a little, and continues on his way, again going right inbetween cars, and doesn't even take 1 second to inspect for any damage. He just goes about his business like it never happened. It's not his car, he doesn't give two shits.

Now imagine if that was a 2900 mile GLHS? That wouldn't bother you?

LOL, I will argue this to the death, when cars get daily driven, SH!T HAPPENS!!! Buy a daily driver, and keep the nice cars nice!! Even if it's just a cheap 1st gen Neon. You could pick up one of those for cheaper then the insurance deductable and some touch up paint.

My point is that cars are meant to be driven. Having a car you don't drive is just as dumb as a TV you don't watch, a chair you don't sit on or shoes you don't wear. Its just stupid.

Certainly I would be upset if something happened to it, but not enough to keep me from enjoying it in the first place.

When the worry of what could happen to your car overpowers the desire to enjoy it, it's time to sell it.

Cody
11-16-2010, 12:46 AM
Still looking?...I have a 91 spirit r/t with a fresh Holset HE351cw that was rebuilt by TU. Downpipe made by Jackson, has less than 100 miles on the holset setup. No rust. I repainted and detailed the underbody, all new fuel lines,tank,255lph pump etc. etc. much more done to it. I have receipts. Let me know if your interested.

Vigo
11-16-2010, 01:54 AM
Im of the opinion that the best thing to do with 20-30 year old cars that are in super-nice original condition is to put them in a garage and sit on them. Seriously. Sure, take it out every once in a while on the weekend, whatever.

But realistically, the ONLY thing special about a perfect condition 142hp 3spd automatic outdated 1985 ANYTHING, is condition. Thats IT. Ruin that, and you end up with just another $300 heap of ----.

Plenty of $300 (or even $3000) heaps of ---- out there to sacrifice. Leave the clean ones to the people who are willing to just sit on them. They are out there.. they already own the darn things, and thats just what they've been doing! They're a special bunch and i am glad they exist.

contraption22
11-16-2010, 09:48 AM
Im of the opinion that the best thing to do with 20-30 year old cars that are in super-nice original condition is to put them in a garage and sit on them. Seriously. Sure, take it out every once in a while on the weekend, whatever.

But realistically, the ONLY thing special about a perfect condition 142hp 3spd automatic outdated 1985 ANYTHING, is condition. Thats IT. Ruin that, and you end up with just another $300 heap of ----.

Plenty of $300 (or even $3000) heaps of ---- out there to sacrifice. Leave the clean ones to the people who are willing to just sit on them. They are out there.. they already own the darn things, and thats just what they've been doing! They're a special bunch and i am glad they exist.

In my basement, I have a JVC 4-head Stereo VCR. Brand new, in the box, never used. Probably sold for around $100 new. I keep it in the hopes that someday people will wonder what an unmolested VHS VCR looks like. What do you think it's worth?

Subliminal
11-16-2010, 09:53 AM
I wouldn't pay a dime for it. ;)

I'd drive a 2900 mile GLH to work every day and not even squint at it...and I'd love every minute of it.

I agree with the cars are meant to be driven. Would I drive a $60k Yenko Camaro to work every day? Nope! But I wouldn't drive a $60k 2011 Escalade, either...I just couldn't afford it. ;)

RoadWarrior222
11-16-2010, 10:45 AM
In my basement, I have a JVC 4-head Stereo VCR. Brand new, in the box, never used. Probably sold for around $100 new. I keep it in the hopes that someday people will wonder what an unmolested VHS VCR looks like. What do you think it's worth?

Nothing unless you have a set of belts vacuum sealed kept in a dark place. :p

Vigo
11-16-2010, 09:32 PM
I'd drive a 2900 mile GLH to work every day and not even squint at it...and I'd love every minute of it.

Hey, you guys can do whatever you want if you got the cash. You just have to acknowledge that you and everyone like you (me too, of course) are the reason why the nice ones are so rare. I dont think anyone INTENDS to buy an expensive new car and then not use it, but really we should be glad that it happens, because that's the only way these low-miles, perfect condition cars still exist.

And sure, k-cars will never be that rare or desirable, but the concept im talking about isnt just for k-cars. Every time someone crashes a ferrari, i wish the human was the crumple zone and not the car. Fact is that bad drivers are more replaceable and less special than the vehicles themselves. Nobody is going to give a ---- about a 90 year old Mike or Damon in perfect condition, but someday 1000s of people are going to walk by a 1985 something or other in perfect condition in a museum and be glad that it made it that far for them to learn about and think about how different things are then from 1985 or 2010. One thing that wont be different, though, is there will still be 99.7% of people NOT preserving anything. It aint evil, but it sure aint special either.

thedon809
11-16-2010, 10:37 PM
Having a car and not driving it, is like not banging your girlfriend because you are saving her for the next guy.

Vigo
11-17-2010, 04:20 AM
Sure, and your car has the last guy's jizz dripping out of it's vagina. Hopefully not your girlfriend, though.