PDA

View Full Version : 86 glh diagnostic port.. where's it at??

mo' parts
12-30-2005, 12:36 PM
sorry if this seems a little, well, obvious, but we couldnt find it last night. steve(CUDDA_TUGGER) has had some issues with his glh lately, and i was going over and re-doing some vaccume lines to try and fix a code 13 and a high idle and stumbling. oh also has a code 15 for the spd/distance sensor. i think he has one for the o2 as well.
anyway, we reset the comp. by unplugging the battery and power loss light went off, but its still running rich and kind of chugging upon accel. im pretty sure it has to do with the o2 sensor.
thing is we looked everywhere for the diagnostics port to hook up my otc... can some one point us in the direction as to where it is? i couldnt find it under the dash or by the power module?? ive only dealt with my 89 tona which was right by the smec. he needs this up and running soon.
thanks in advance for any suggestions.

R/T
12-30-2005, 01:43 PM
It's a "L" shaped connector, under the hood, near the coil, by the selinoids.

ALSO:

Make sure you use BIG enough vac lines when replacing them, too small and there's not a strong enough signal to the MAP sensor, causing the "limp in" mode.

Had this happen several times.

mo' parts
12-30-2005, 04:38 PM
thanks, i didnt even think to look on that side..... plus it was dark out.

on the vaccume lines, i got it covered, but thanks for lookin out.
i see too many people have that same problem. they might still have a large line, but they have been told to keep it as short as possible, thats good and all, but if its one of the first items to come off the main line, it will not get as much of a pull as the one at the very end.(unless its a very small line at the end.)
most of the time i try to pull the map off the end of all my lines and keep it large with all the others fairly small. the path with least resistance will get the best source. ive never had a prob. doing it this way. this was also the cause of his code 13, that and some loose lines.

cordes
12-31-2005, 11:00 AM
Make sure you have vac hooked up to the map line, and not a mystery line that the previous owner had in there.:thumb: That will get you every time.