PDA

View Full Version : Shelby Steering Wheel Into 91' Daytona

91DSX
06-20-2006, 11:50 PM
Okay guys,

I'm pondering putting a Shelby steering wheel into my 91' Daytona that is equiped with an airbag. Has anyone ever done this swap and how dangerous is it to remove the stock airbag steering wheel even with the battery disconnected? Will the airbag light come on once the wheel is removed? I just need the hub adapter and Shelby wheel?

Thanks Guys!

DC Turismo
06-21-2006, 11:48 PM
The biggest issue with the airbag, I would think, is that the steering column may/may not be built to collapse as a result of a wreck. With this Shelby steering wheel, and no steering column collapsing, it would be far more serious compared to airbag deployment with no steering column collapsing.

I am not sure if the HUB adapter will fit over the steering column spline in a Daytona either. If it does, then I would assume that you should purchase the spacer that FWD-P offers for around $40, which provides another inch or so between your knuckles and the top of the dash (at least on an L-body, it'd be for your benefit on a Daytona as well though I'd say). In turn, her spacer includes longer allen-head bolts that appear to be identical to the stock ones if anyone is looking at it.

Finally, I would assume the airbag light would stay on continuously since it would be unplugged and the wire would be left there.

When I go home this weekend I can take a picture of the setup I have which I informed you about above. Let me know if you'd like to see it.

cordes
06-21-2006, 11:56 PM
Based on my reading I believe that the L body is the only TM which does not have the colapsable column hence the shape of the salad bowl steering wheel.