PDA

View Full Version : wheel bearings going bad... even though i just replaced em...

zshadow
06-20-2006, 11:11 PM
heres the story

went to get the car inspected, along with an alignment, they said all four wheelbearing were shot.

way back when i had the shadow, that had a lift kit on it, the only way for the axels to clear the suspension arms, was to swap the axels with a shorty intermediate shaft and shorty, instead of the shorty/long set up. since i had a nice turbo car in the garage at the time, it was a perfect place to gank the axels from.

the axels were swapped, a 91 shadow got 87 shorty/intermediate/shorty daytona setup, and the tuna got the 91 shorty/long axel setup from the shadow.

now the thought i have is... since the 91 axels may be different, are they a little bit longer? from what i can remember i think they are, and could the length and the pressure from the axels be pushing on the bearings to make them go bad?

i know the rear bearings come loose, and you can just tighten them and it'll be fine... but could the axels pushing on the hub assemby be causing the bearings to go bad?

turbovanmanČ
06-21-2006, 12:46 AM
All car axles except L bodies are the same length. Vans are one inch longer. The front hub nut has to be tight, around 200 fl/lbs more or less. If you don't tighten it properly, the bearing comes apart and well, you know what happens. Also, if you happen to have the axles out, don't push the car around on the front wheels unless you have axles in or a nut and bolt to simulate the axles, or do what I do, use old axle shafts but only use the outer joint.

MiniMopar
06-21-2006, 12:50 AM
So this is the 87 we are talking about? How did you install the bearings? If they were not installed in a press or similar and were tapped in with a hammer, they were likely ruined. The "mechanic" that worked on my Daytona before I got replaced the driver's side bearing. It went out a couple of thousand later. I put a new one in properly and it's been fine ever since. It was even the same brand.

zshadow
06-21-2006, 11:22 AM
well i havent rolled the car around without the axels... the hub nut might not have been tightened, and yes the hammer method was the one to use... i didnt have a press, and using a block of wood and a hammer to tap the hub assembly in worked fairly well... except for the fact its broken now.

thanks guys

`Kevin

MiniMopar
06-21-2006, 01:06 PM
Yep...I ruined one that way. I pressed the new one in with two large C-clamps. Worked well.

cordes
06-21-2006, 10:49 PM
IIRC 180lbs. was the torque for the axle nuts.