PDA

View Full Version : 1985 Dodge 600 Turbo I

csmrol
09-13-2010, 06:56 AM
Any minor performance mods I can do without converting to Turbo II? Exhaust? Thermostat? K & N filter? Anyone ever try converting the hood scoops to get cold air into the intake? Will another computer make any difference? If so, which one? Thanks.

blk86trbo
09-13-2010, 10:15 AM
If everything is stock and the computer is still controlling the wastegate, adding an MP comp is a good upgrade. An intercooler and a better flowing exhaust are good choices too.

cordes
09-13-2010, 10:27 AM
I agree. MP computer would be the first step. I'm not a fan of intercooling the log personally, but some guys do it. I would do the exhaust before I did an IC with a log car.

csmrol
09-13-2010, 10:41 AM
MP computer? I'm not as far along as you guys,help me out here Who makes it? how much $. Is it a big deal to install? Exhaust ? any reccommendations? Thanks

cordes
09-13-2010, 11:35 AM
MP computer? I'm not as far along as you guys,help me out here Who makes it? how much $. Is it a big deal to install? Exhaust ? any reccommendations? Thanks

Mopar Performance computer. Sometimes you can find them really cheap when someone is selling one they don't want. Other times guys want real money for them since the TI log stuff isn't really out there anymore. It is super easy to install. Probably 15-20 min if it is your first time doing one. It will probably keep you happy for a while.

I'm not sure that anyone makes an exhaust specifically for the 600s. I plan on making my own for my 600.

csmrol
09-13-2010, 12:03 PM
Thanks cordes, You ever give any thought to a cold air setup with the 600 Hood? I just have the stock intake and filter. On the exhaust, I think I read somewhere you could run the TI without a muffler,it's not that loud.I'm thinking like a flow master with the two outlets. It's been a while since I got excited about the car. I just got a new top put on and a new paint job. This past weekend I stripped the wheels and buffed them out, so I can at least take the bad boy out without being embarassed. I am truly amazed at all the knowledge on here, I appreciate everyone's help.

cordes
09-13-2010, 12:05 PM
I've only seen the CAI on a couple of hoods that looked like it worked well on. It's hard to get anything over the VC without a ton of fab work.

I would cut out the cat before I got rid of the muffler.

TopDollar69
09-15-2010, 04:04 PM
On my 85 Lebaron I have the mopar computer, K&N filter, 2.5 inch exhaust with a magnaflow muffler no cat, and the cam is advanced a couple of degrees with one of those old offset mopar performance cam keys.

It pulls pretty decent in the upper RPMs but is a bit doggy down low. Since most of this was already done when I bought the car I can't really compare to stock, but I figure that's just how a log automatic car is with lots of turbo lag. I was surprised how little the exhaust did. On my TII Laser 2.5 inch exhaust made a huge difference but this T1 car can't make use of it I guess.

ShadowFromHell
09-16-2010, 02:33 AM
I put a 88 T1 roller cam in my NY when it was a log car, and it woke it up down low quite a bit. I don't know if the old was shot or not thou. Cheap and easy upgrade. Personally, I would skip the MP computer and go this route, in this order...

Good tune up
Boost gauge, and a a/f gauge (recommend OTC scanner or the one Dawes's makes)
2.5" or 3" exhaust
MBC set to 12psi on premium fuel
*Roller cam-do this at any point

Down the road water injection, more fuel, G-head and more boost! I remember reading a page I found years ago written by a guy who put a 86 4 door lebaron into the 13's and kept it a log car! No IC!

TopDollar69
09-16-2010, 08:07 AM
Since it's an 85 it should already have a G head. I also installed a 89 2.2L TBI cam in my 85 Lebaron, and noticed no difference. It might be the advanced cam key has too much advance with the round tooth cam. One of these days I'm going to swap it out for stock to see if it makes any difference.

ShadowFromHell
09-16-2010, 02:06 PM
Since it's an 85 it should already have a G head. I also installed a 89 2.2L TBI cam in my 85 Lebaron, and noticed no difference. It might be the advanced cam key has too much advance with the round tooth cam. One of these days I'm going to swap it out for stock to see if it makes any difference.

The slider I pulled may have been shot, and thats why I had a gain. I really do not know. It did make quite a diffrence down low. If he already has the g-head... Perfect!

The other option for cheap speed on this car would be nitrous. You have a decently beefy bottom end. IF you do a little poking around here there is some guys that ran really quick with a log motor and some nitrous.

Vigo
09-16-2010, 02:12 PM
What 3digit number is on your round tooth cam gear? If it is a 690 the keyway is moved so that it's 4 degrees retarded from a square tooth cam gear.. so putting an advance key on it would only bring it back to stock! A 557 cam gear is timed the same as the older gears iirc.

On a log/auto car, in order of what i do:
180* thermo. Just so easy to install, cheap, and ive noticed a difference on every car ive ever used one on.

Exhaust. I cut the exhaust off at the downpipe of a log/auto new yorker i had and was AMAZED by how much difference it made. The mandrel kits sold by the two main vendors for the other cars will easily fit the 600 with minor mods.

CAI. I put this because its so easy to do on a log car and since its not intercooled it needs all the help with air temps that it can get.

Stg2 chip for it. FWD Performance still sells these, or you can find them used, or you can get someone who burns chips and sockets boards to make one for you. figure $50-150 depending on if its new or used. This changes the timing map and ups the boost.

Once you get to that point and want to go further you really need to consider the diminishing returns on the log setup VS converting to the WAY better intake manifold (t2) setup.