PDA

View Full Version : Leaky 413 Axle Seal

stage3
09-12-2010, 01:13 AM
Pass side axle seal started to leak bad out of the blue. Replaced it and in about 50 miles same thing again. Axle end and inside of extension housing looked ok. Didn't see any score marks. Lost at what might be causing it.

turbovanmanČ
09-12-2010, 01:21 AM
Is the axle loose in the housing, IE the housing is worn causing alot of up and down movement? Is the axle seal surface scored? If using the equal length setup, is the u-joint ok?

stage3
09-12-2010, 01:37 AM
Is the axle loose in the housing, IE the housing is worn causing alot of up and down movement? Is the axle seal surface scored? If using the equal length setup, is the u-joint ok?

Didnt have alot of play in it. Didn't see any scoring on the axle or in the housing. This housing doesn't have the bushing in it, according to a friend some didn't have them the housing is just machined instead. Not equal length axles, they are aftermarket. Let the flames begin :confused:, its a DCR setup. I will take some pics of the parts once I get a chance to pull it apart.

stage3
09-12-2010, 02:13 PM
Is there any chance it could be a bad differential bearing.

turbovanmanČ
09-12-2010, 02:17 PM
Didnt have alot of play in it. Didn't see any scoring on the axle or in the housing. This housing doesn't have the bushing in it, according to a friend some didn't have them the housing is just machined instead. Not equal length axles, they are aftermarket. Let the flames begin :confused:, its a DCR setup. I will take some pics of the parts once I get a chance to pull it apart.

Yeah, the later ones, IE somewhere around 86 ish I think, don't have a bushing anymore, Dodge eliminated it. As for play, there really shouldn't be any. Its possible you have a joint going out causing it to damage the seal?
Some have a deflector behind the seal but mine doesn't have any and doesn't leak.

Is there any chance it could be a bad differential bearing.

No, the other side goes first.

BTW, sorry about the piston, I found it the other day, my kids had played with it, still interested?

stage3
09-13-2010, 10:19 PM
Yeah, the later ones, IE somewhere around 86 ish I think, don't have a bushing anymore, Dodge eliminated it. As for play, there really shouldn't be any. Its possible you have a joint going out causing it to damage the seal?
Some have a deflector behind the seal but mine doesn't have any and doesn't leak.

No, the other side goes first.

BTW, sorry about the piston, I found it the other day, my kids had played with it, still interested?

Not a big deal, send a pic when you get a chance. The stupid thing went out just before Chryslers at Carlisle and I was so disappointed I couldn't take the car after waiting so long for the show. Then it went again before the Mopar Nats which is when the piston came up. I didn't want to miss that show also. Now the the seal went and Chrysler classic is this weekend :faint:
I am getting alittle up and down play on the inner cv joint.

turbovanmanČ
09-14-2010, 12:11 AM
Not a big deal, send a pic when you get a chance. The stupid thing went out just before Chryslers at Carlisle and I was so disappointed I couldn't take the car after waiting so long for the show. Then it went again before the Mopar Nats which is when the piston came up. I didn't want to miss that show also. Now the the seal went and Chrysler classic is this weekend :faint:
I am getting alittle up and down play on the inner cv joint.

Sorry about your bad luck. :(

Is there any play of the shaft in the extension housing, there really shouldn't be any. Your allowed a bit of play in the inner cv joint. Any wobbling or vibrations you've noticed? What brand of seal and how did you install it?

RoadWarrior222
09-15-2010, 10:25 PM
Chinee axle wrong sizee?

stage3
09-15-2010, 11:19 PM
Sorry about your bad luck. :(

Is there any play of the shaft in the extension housing, there really shouldn't be any. Your allowed a bit of play in the inner cv joint. Any wobbling or vibrations you've noticed? What brand of seal and how did you install it?

Was some play in the housing. Friend had an extra one laying around. Slid the axle into it and it felt tighter. Going to give that one a shot. Was a Mopar seal we put in.

Chinee axle wrong sizee?

No, DSS level 5 axles.

turbovanmanČ
09-16-2010, 12:41 AM
Was some play in the housing. Friend had an extra one laying around. Slid the axle into it and it felt tighter. Going to give that one a shot. Was a Mopar seal we put in.

Try an aftermarket seal, most move the lip knowing wear is a sure thing so they seal on older stuff.

RattFink
09-16-2010, 05:29 PM
The passenger side axle seal in my 41TE went out, I replaced it with one from advanced auto parts. I drove it to work and back once, and it started leaking again. Bought another seal from RockAuto, installed it, and no problems so far. It's been a few thousand miles. I think seals are really hit or miss when it comes to brands. I always pack the back of the seal with vaseline to keep the spring in, and put a thin layer of RTV around the outside.

stage3
09-26-2010, 03:12 PM
Replaced the extension housing and went with an aftermarket seal. Put about 50 miles on it and no leaks. Last night I look at the speedometer and it's reading 0 mph. Figured the speed sensor gear broke, got under the car and the axle was 1/2" or more out of the housing. Pushed it back in and speedometer works.
What should keep it from moving out like that. Are there supposed to be springs in the cv joint or should the boot do that. Wonder if that's what is causing the seals to go if it keeps walking in and out.

turbovanmanČ
10-04-2010, 02:00 AM
Replaced the extension housing and went with an aftermarket seal. Put about 50 miles on it and no leaks. Last night I look at the speedometer and it's reading 0 mph. Figured the speed sensor gear broke, got under the car and the axle was 1/2" or more out of the housing. Pushed it back in and speedometer works.
What should keep it from moving out like that. Are there supposed to be springs in the cv joint or should the boot do that. Wonder if that's what is causing the seals to go if it keeps walking in and out.

The inner cv joint is spring loaded, it should have some resistance when you install it and when you remove it, it should get longer.