PDA

View Full Version : New best for 2010, 14.0@100 mph, whoop de doo, :(

turbovanmanČ
09-11-2010, 03:06 PM
Took Friday off to do the test and tune, got there at 10am, 30 mins later, sky's opened up, waited around until noon, cancelled, sigh. While I was in tech, guy asked me why the helmet, said I plan on running 12's, suddenly I have like 10 people floating around asking if I really said that, lol. Lots of cool, this is awesome banter and what did I do, then the skies really opened, sigh.

Went home, phoned at 3, street legals on, went back, were on hold again due to possible rain, finally let us in, then at 5 pm, on hold again, another black cloud, then finally about 6:00, its on, then on the 2nd set of cars, guy blows a tranny line and oils the ENTIRE track, :banghead: :censored: 45 mins later, we are back on.

So I did some tweaks at home, played with the anti-lag and took some timing out, cams at stock, so we'll call that 0, one gallon C16, 2 gallons toluene and aprox 8 gallons 94 octane Chevron, alky turned on. All runs at 18 psi except where noted. Bakes helped me out and I was the only old school TM, Boost Geek didn't make it out, pansy, :fencing:

First run, advanced the intake cam 4 deg, 5 psi at the line, rip off a 2.3 60ft which I did all night, 14.6@95 mph, 18psi, with the SES light flashing once or twice. Get back, go to adjust my timing and Bakes laptop won't communicate with the Ostrich, he shows up and he can't get it to work, so no tuning, sigh.

We decide to put the intake cam back to get a baseline, almost no boost at the line, 15.1@94 and it felt SLOW, SES light flickered once or twice.

So put the intake to 6, moved the exhaust cam to 4, got about 8-10 psi at the line, 14.3@99.4 mph, woo hoo, but still at bit of SES flickering, so added another 2 gallons C16.

Move the exhaust 2 deg, 10 psi at the line, 14.1@97.6.

Moved the intake another 2 deg, so 8 and 6, best of the night, felt very strong, 10 psi at the line, still SES flickering, 14.0@100.5 mph. Also noticed had the highest vacuum at idle, 16 I believe vs 12ish before.

Moved the exhaust to match, so 8 and 8, felt weird at the line, jumped on me? red lighted, felt weak, 10 psi, 2.9 60ft? and a 15@99mph.

Went right back out, jumped again but held it, 14@98, still SES flickering, felt the tranny cooler, red hot, crap.

Now almost hot lapping, put the exhaust back to 6, so 8 int, 6 exhaust, didn't feel fast, looked at the boost, only 14 psi, 14.5@96, 2.4 60ft foot, at the pits, noticed my son had played with my controller, or so I thought, then the rain sprinkled and game over. :(

On the way home, no matter what I did, no more than 15 psi boost??????????
So need to figure that out and get a higher stall converter, its killing me. I figure this is easily in the 12's with only 18 psi, :amen:

Sorry for the long story.

boost geek
09-11-2010, 04:11 PM
Boost Geek didn't make it out, pansy
lol I had to make a call at 3 at work if I was going or not, as another fellow employee was gonna take over for me, and at 3 it was HOSING! I thought I aint spending more than $60 ($27 for 1 day permit, $35 entry, $5 for Danae), drive the Charger in the rain, just to wait for the track to dry up or get sent home. Next weekend is the next one, if it's dry, I'll be there. I also would like to sign up for the Oct1 t&t if there is space. My waste gate is shimmed and ready to rumble, won't know how much boost I get till I'm there. Also cutting a window in my strut perches, as the slicks were rubbing a bit.
Ever think all this crap your putting in your gas is messing your cal up? I used to put in 2 gallons of c16 in my other charger, would run like a slug. 94 and alky for me.;)

turbovanmanČ
09-11-2010, 04:28 PM
Ever think all this crap your putting in your gas is messing your cal up? I used to put in 2 gallons of c16 in my other charger, would run like a slug. 94 and alky for me.;)

No, I can't get the engine rev's up, simple as that. Max I get is 3000 rpm, I need at least 4000 to get that turbo spooled.

boost geek
09-11-2010, 04:51 PM

Was this only off the line or driving at any speed? I think you should try driving it for a few days with that same fuel mix. Having it run good on the street with 94 and alky kinda sounds to me like your fuel mix may be outta whack.

ShadowBrad
09-11-2010, 08:13 PM
I kinda agree. If you have an alky system on it. Then get it running as fast as possible on just 94octane and the alky system. If no alky system, then just tune for the 94 octane before you go adding other crap into your fuel. I've been reading about your racing outings ever since I became interested in TMs and it always seems that you change to many things at one time. I think what I read this time was the least you've ever changed in one outing. I'm assuming that before you went racing that you've been running the van on just 94 octane on the street. So adding stuff to the fuel, plus messing with the cam timings are still changing more than one thing at a time. I know that in some rare instances more than one tuning change can be made at once, but those are few and far between. I'm not trying to bust your balls or nothing, just trying to give out some advice to help you go faster. Tweaking one thing at a time until each is perfect is going to be your easiest way to make that thing fly down the track.

-brad

PS - Terribly sorry if I sounded like a dickhead, I had a couple beers. :bowl:

turbovanmanČ
09-11-2010, 09:48 PM

Was this only off the line or driving at any speed? I think you should try driving it for a few days with that same fuel mix. Having it run good on the street with 94 and alky kinda sounds to me like your fuel mix may be outta whack.

Its not the fuel mix, still won't go over 15psi and a full tank of fresh gas, did alot of errands today, :(

I'll figure it out on Monday.

Either way, I am happy, didn't damage it and ran fairly fast considering no boost at launch and low boost.

Force Fed Mopar
09-12-2010, 01:26 AM
What tires? Those 60ft's are not much better than mine or 205/60 street tires.

turbovanmanČ
09-12-2010, 01:44 AM
What tires? Those 60ft's are not much better than mine or 205/60 street tires.

Slicks, same as least year cutting 1.9's but when you leave on no boost and it bogs, might as well run street tires, :(

bakes
09-12-2010, 01:49 AM
Can you check the boost controler????

Dave
09-12-2010, 06:06 AM
Frustrating....... You'll get it figured out soon enough. What did you change since the 12.57 run? On that note as well, pops and I we're talking, you do have the fastest "street" driven van dont you? ;)

turbovanmanČ
09-12-2010, 02:08 PM
Can you check the boost controler????

That's next.

Frustrating....... You'll get it figured out soon enough. What did you change since the 12.57 run? On that note as well, pops and I we're talking, you do have the fastest "street" driven van don't you? ;)

I do, plus its the fastest van WITH A/C, :nod:

I changed the cams, has some wild stage 3 cams with a tri-flow grind, did some combustion chamber work to lower the compression-took away the quench pads and changed to a LU converter, but the stall is too low and tight, won't let me rev past 3000 rpm brake torquing it so the turbo won't spool.

BIG PSI
09-12-2010, 02:20 PM
That's next.

It is also the FASTEST MINI VAN in C-A-N-A-D-A as well !!!

:eyebrows:

turbovanmanČ
09-12-2010, 02:21 PM

True, lol. Thanks guys for picking up my spirits, pretty frustrating.

turbovanmanČ
09-14-2010, 12:04 AM
Fixed the low boost, Bakes broke off the upper vac line off my wastegate when he was helping me, :p

Kreel
09-14-2010, 12:11 AM

I'll challenge that title next year :evil:

turbovanmanČ
09-14-2010, 12:12 AM
I'll challenge that title next year :evil:

What you got? :eyebrows:

boost geek
09-14-2010, 12:21 AM
Fixed the low boost, Bakes broke off the upper vac line off my wastegate when he was helping me, :p
So you saying your gonna competitive this time?:clap:

bakes
09-14-2010, 12:33 AM

Well you broke my laptop:mad::p

boost geek
09-14-2010, 12:36 AM

The new Dell?:confused2:

bakes
09-14-2010, 12:41 AM
No the old dell usb port. No hope in hell the new one leaves my side(it's still to pretty:eyebrows:)

boost geek
09-14-2010, 12:47 AM
I thought Simon had your new one at the track...

bakes
09-14-2010, 12:54 AM
I thought Simon had your new one at the track...
NOt at $2000 for my new laptop!!!!!!

boost geek
09-14-2010, 01:00 AM
2 grand? They sent you 2. That's $1000.
Still alot...

Juggy
09-14-2010, 07:45 AM
what did you change from last years 12 second runs??????

Dave
09-14-2010, 08:04 AM
2 grand? They sent you 2. That's $1000.
Still alot...

That's Canadian! Ay?

So there was line to the WG this hole time? Does it build enough boost off the line now?

Kreel
09-14-2010, 09:40 AM
What you got? :eyebrows:

'tis my AWD minivan. 3.0L NA right now with an m90 being added over the winter. With supporting mods I should coast into 13's (if the AWD components survive, lol). What's that you say? That's not enough? Well that's where my super-duper-uber-secret twincharged setup comes into play. I don't know if I'll get to it since technically my van is my DD. It's hard to convince the wife to build 1 500hp vehicle, let alone 2. Just figured I'd start stirring the pot early :evil:

BadAssPerformance
09-14-2010, 01:21 PM
What did you change since the 12.57 run?

Hmmm... maybe....

....one gallon C16, 2 gallons toluene and aprox 8 gallons 94 octane Chevron, alky turned on.

Maybe a different mix of BS in the tank than last year? :confused2:

Damnit Simon, you van weighs enough, just add a fuel cell and only run that at the track on race gas on a track only cal.

Only 18psi? Alky on top of your bathtub race gas was probably slowing it down as well.

I changed the cams, has some wild stage 3 cams with a tri-flow grind, did some combustion chamber work to lower the compression-took away the quench pads and changed to a LU converter, but the stall is too low and tight, won't let me rev past 3000 rpm brake torquing it so the turbo won't spool.

Sounds like you need to change everything back and go run 12's again. :nod:

EDIT: Or put a stick in it ;)

turbovanmanČ
09-14-2010, 01:30 PM
So you saying your gonna competitive this time?:clap:

Nope, need a new torque converter, working on it. Its supposed to rain this Friday so that gives me time.

Tit for tat, biatch, :eyebrows:

(it's still to pretty:eyebrows:)

Unlike you, hehe, :p

what did you change from last years 12 second runs??????

See post 11.

'tis my AWD minivan. 3.0L NA right now with an m90 being added over the winter. With supporting mods I should coast into 13's (if the AWD components survive, lol). What's that you say? That's not enough? Well that's where my super-duper-uber-secret twincharged setup comes into play. I don't know if I'll get to it since technically my van is my DD. It's hard to convince the wife to build 1 500hp vehicle, let alone 2. Just figured I'd start stirring the pot early :evil:

Sweet, should still be a blast but when I get this figured out, 40 psi should easily net me low 11's, :eyebrows: :partywoot:

Hmmm... maybe....

Maybe a different mix of BS in the tank than last year? :confused2:

Nah, you guys gotta read, lol. I CAN'T BUILD BOOST AT THE LINE, MY TC STALLS TOOO LOW! :p

Damnit Simon, you van weighs enough, just add a fuel cell and only run that at the track on race gas on a track only cal.

I have one, just haven't had time to install it, I might get time as this coming friday is supposed to be rained out.

Only 18psi? Alky on top of your bathtub race gas was probably slowing it down as well.

Nah, 100 mph at 18 psi at almost 3700 lbs is flying, and remember, it leaves on NO boost, then bogs, then builds boost hard, so I am hitting boost aprox 50-75 from the starting line.

Sounds like you need to change everything back and go run 12's again. :nod:

EDIT: Or put a stick in it ;)

Need a new TC, working on it and NEVER, blasphemy, lol. :lol:

BadAssPerformance
09-14-2010, 01:36 PM
Nah, you guys gotta read, lol. I CAN'T BUILD BOOST AT THE LINE, MY TC STALLS TOOO LOW! :p

Nah, 100 mph at 18 psi at almost 3700 lbs is flying, and remember, it leaves on NO boost, then bogs, then builds boost hard, so I am hitting boost aprox 50-75 from the starting line.

So its crap for 75 feet but good for the other 1245 feet, your mph should match your 12 second runs then, no?

I have one, just haven't had time to install it, I might get time as this coming friday is supposed to be rained out.

I would have done that before any combustion chamber work :p

Need a new TC, working on it and NEVER, blasphemy, lol. :lol:

What happened to the 12 second TC?

Subliminal
09-14-2010, 01:47 PM
Dang Simon...I haven't been following your van, but you used to run 14s on half the valves at twice the boost! ;)

I miss my van sometimes...good work keeping one on the track!

turbovanmanČ
09-14-2010, 01:56 PM
So its crap for 75 feet but good for the other 1245 feet, your mph should match your 12 second runs then, no?

Seriously? You expect to accelerate that mass at 18 psi with no boost out of the hole? I ran 29 psi last year to run 12's launching WITH boost. L body, sure, van, nope. Also, I am loosing .4-.5 in the 60ft times, :eyebrows:

I would have done that before any combustion chamber work :p

Why, so I have to run C16 on the street? I had to do the chamber work to lower the compression, if I didn't, it would have been 9.5:1, :(

What happened to the 12 second TC?

I went to a LU setup, try to get some MPG on the highway and reduce the engine drone zone. I am at 3800-4000 rpm at 70-75 mph now, without LU. :(

Dang Simon...I haven't been following your van, but you used to run 14s on half the valves at twice the boost! ;)

I did, your right, lol, but this has alot more potential, hehehe.

I miss my van sometimes...good work keeping one on the track!

Its fun, on the street, I can't stop grinning, especially when you pass people on the highway, or bait sports cars, :evil:

BadAssPerformance
09-14-2010, 04:59 PM
- sorry, I'm used to 5-speeds that can pull in the big end

- did you read where I said "track cal" to go with the cell?

- MPG is not in my racing vocabulary... put the 12 sec TC back in if you wnat to go 12's... dont tell e eyou didnt brake torque it on the street once to find out when it launches before going to the track?

turbovanmanČ
09-14-2010, 05:03 PM
- sorry, I'm used to 5-speeds that can pull in the big end

- did you read where I said "track cal" to go with the cell?

I did but how does that affect it on the street, its a DAILY DRIVER, without the combustion chamber mods, i"d be running C16 on the street, don't think so.

- MPG is not in my racing vocabulary... put the 12 sec TC back in if you wnat to go 12's... dont tell e eyou didnt brake torque it on the street once to find out when it launches before going to the track?

Well, if you drove your car everyday, you'd be finding ways to save fuel too.

No, didn't think to check on the street, oh well, I have another one coming soon, I hope, :eyebrows:

BadAssPerformance
09-14-2010, 07:15 PM
I did but how does that affect it on the street, its a DAILY DRIVER, without the combustion chamber mods, i"d be running C16 on the street, don't think so.

Well, if you drove your car everyday, you'd be finding ways to save fuel too.

No, didn't think to check on the street, oh well, I have another one coming soon, I hope, :eyebrows:

Run a "daily driver" cal with lower boost and les timing, no need for race gas if it is tuned safely, even with 9.5:1

I have daily driven my Shadow a ton. Not recently since my commute is 50 miles daily and I decided to get a neon, but before then I got consistant 20+ mpg city driving... with 42pph injectors and race gas... well over 30 mpg on the highway if I kept my foot out of it :o

Oh wait, sorry.. you like automagics... 5-speed, what? :D

turbovanmanČ
09-14-2010, 07:40 PM
Run a "daily driver" cal with lower boost and les timing, no need for race gas if it is tuned safely, even with 9.5:1

I have daily driven my Shadow a ton. Not recently since my commute is 50 miles daily and I decided to get a neon, but before then I got consistant 20+ mpg city driving... with 42pph injectors and race gas... well over 30 mpg on the highway if I kept my foot out of it :o

Oh wait, sorry.. you like automagics... 5-speed, what? :D

I could but I don't want the fine line of tuning 9.5:1 at 40 psi, :eyebrows:

Well if this engine was in an L body or Gaytona, i'd get 30 mpg too, :lol:

Hmmm, who's having the transmission problems, 4 speed skip box didn't you say? :D

BadAssPerformance
09-14-2010, 08:41 PM
I could but I don't want the fine line of tuning 9.5:1 at 40 psi, :eyebrows:

Well if this engine was in an L body or Gaytona, i'd get 30 mpg too, :lol:

Hmmm, who's having the transmission problems, 4 speed skip box didn't you say? :D

40psi... looking for 13's? :D

If your engine was in 2000 lb L-body, it would still probably be slower than my STOCK T2 Shadow ;)

Dave
09-15-2010, 12:41 AM
LMAO this is freakin' great! :D You guys just need to cuddle at the next SDAC.

turbovanmanČ
09-15-2010, 12:49 AM
40psi... looking for 13's? :D

If your engine was in 2000 lb L-body, it would still probably be slower than my STOCK T2 Shadow ;)

Yep, 13's or go home.

Slower than a stock T2 Shadow, doubt it, guess Andy had it all wrong then, :confused: :p

boost geek
09-15-2010, 01:06 AM
Supposed to be dry friday! :number1:

turbovanmanČ
09-15-2010, 01:38 AM
Supposed to be dry friday! :number1:

I won't be racing, but I'll come out to watch if I get done at work, taking those days off put me behind, got really busy all of a sudden plus I can't go any faster with the TC, which I get this week, :eyebrows:

boost geek
09-15-2010, 01:43 AM
Seeing you won't be racing, maybe you'll have time to load my Ostrich.:eyebrows:

turbovanmanČ
09-15-2010, 01:53 AM
Seeing you won't be racing, maybe you'll have time to load my Ostrich.:eyebrows:

Yeah, we could do that. :nod:

Spraynlog
09-15-2010, 01:47 PM
Well, your time may have disappointed you, but at least you got it to the track! That is more than I can say this year....:o

gasketmaster
09-16-2010, 02:15 AM

Well you may have the "Fastest Daily Driven Minivan with A/C" but I have the "Fastest Street Driven Minivan" :D

My shizz is licensed and insured and I do ALL of my testing on the street ;)

Juggy
09-16-2010, 02:22 PM
so u werent gettin any boost off the line?? i read somewhere about 10psi??? thats not enuff boost in a 16valve motor to get you off the line??

still running those 26" slicks?? if so thats part of your problem

bakes
09-16-2010, 02:33 PM
boost is like 15- 20 psi to get it to launch hard out the hole.

bakes
09-16-2010, 02:35 PM
I was thinking about it Simon if i Nocked th vac lin off the boost control ciruit woulldn't it have full out boost ?

turbovanmanČ
09-16-2010, 03:20 PM
Well you may have the "Fastest Daily Driven Minivan with A/C" but I have the "Fastest Street Driven Minivan" :D

My shizz is licensed and insured and I do ALL of my testing on the street ;)

Well la de da, :p :lol:

so u werent gettin any boost off the line?? i read somewhere about 10psi??? thats not enuff boost in a 16valve motor to get you off the line??

still running those 26" slicks?? if so thats part of your problem

10 psi is like 1 psi on a regular stock TII turbo, I need to launch with 15-20 psi like last year, but my converter simply can't stall high enough. Same slicks as last year.

I was thinking about it Simon if i Nocked th vac lin off the boost control ciruit woulldn't it have full out boost ?

Nope, doesn't change the stall.

bakes
09-16-2010, 05:13 PM
Well la de da, :p :lol:

10 psi is like 1 psi on a regular stock TII turbo, I need to launch with 15-20 psi like last year, but my converter simply can't stall high enough. Same slicks as last year.

Nope, doesn't change the stall.

im not talking stall !!!Im talking boost only you said you had none !!!!! after i knock your vac line off.

turbovanmanČ
09-16-2010, 05:20 PM
im not talking stall !!!Im talking boost only you said you had none !!!!! after i knock your vac line off.

Go study stall, if I can't build rpm, I can't build boost, dummy. So it doesn't matter if my turbo can produce 40 psi, it won't UNTIL I can get more rpm brake torquing! Get it? :p

SebringLX
09-16-2010, 05:40 PM
Those 60' are horrible even with the "No boost off the line" excuse. I had no boost off the line with my old TC, and I'd still cut at least 2.2's and run high 13's all day long @ 18psi on a turbo that flows a lot less air than yours. My car weighs just as much if not more than your van IIRC, and don't give me crap about aerodynamic differences, it's not enough of a difference.

So if I'm catching everything correctly... old TC had a higher stall, but no lock-up. Current TC has a lower stall, but has lock-up. TC you're working on has both? My TC has lock-up and a 4000rpm stall and has been great. Launching closer to that stall speed = 1.8 60' now. :D

I thought you had a 41TE in the van for some reason, but I'm guessing it must be a 413 if you're RPMs are that high at highway speed. I don't think lock-up is going to help your MPG that much, you need the extra gear. :P I'm around 2600rpms at those speeds.

Also WTF why only 18psi with race gas AND meth? You should be able to run 30+ with all that nonsense. Van should be in the high 10's with the setup you have. Quit slacking. :p

turbovanmanČ
09-16-2010, 06:09 PM
Those 60' are horrible even with the "No boost off the line" excuse. I had no boost off the line with my old TC, and I'd still cut at least 2.2's and run high 13's all day long @ 18psi on a turbo that flows a lot less air than yours. My car weighs just as much if not more than your van IIRC, and don't give me crap about aerodynamic differences, it's not enough of a difference.

I build 10 psi at the line, then as soon as I drop the brake, it bogs, boost drops to 0, then slowly builds it back up then BOOM, off I go, I could get out and push faster, hence the crap 60 ft's.

18 psi, this turbo isn't awake yet. What MPH did you run?

So if I'm catching everything correctly... old TC had a higher stall, but no lock-up. Current TC has a lower stall, but has lock-up. TC you're working on has both? My TC has lock-up and a 4000rpm stall and has been great. Launching closer to that stall speed = 1.8 60' now. :D

Correct, last year, stock turbo stall, no LU, could get 4500 rpm out of it and build 15-20 psi, cut 1.9 60ft's and one 1.8, :eyebrows: This year, LU and low stall, can get 3000 rpm and only 10 psi, :(

I thought you had a 41TE in the van for some reason, but I'm guessing it must be a 413 if you're RPMs are that high at highway speed. I don't think lock-up is going to help your MPG that much, you need the extra gear. :P I'm around 2600rpms at those speeds.

I want the 4 speed but need a connection in Mexico to get the case. Every little bit helps, the LU should lower it by about 500 rpm.

Also WTF why only 18psi with race gas AND meth? You should be able to run 30+ with all that nonsense. Van should be in the high 10's with the setup you have. Quit slacking. :p

Tuning slowly, I couldn't play with my cal so I left the boost alone, last year, I would have said f*ck it and turned it up, this year, I want my engine to live, so I am taking it SLOWLY.

SebringLX
09-16-2010, 06:39 PM
I build 10 psi at the line, then as soon as I drop the brake, it bogs, boost drops to 0, then slowly builds it back up then BOOM, off I go, I could get out and push faster, hence the crap 60 ft's.

Sounds familiar. Still should be able to get around a 2.2 like that.

18 psi, this turbo isn't awake yet. What MPH did you run?

Mine isn't either, I get 100-101mph at that boost level.

Correct, last year, stock turbo stall, no LU, could get 4500 rpm out of it and build 15-20 psi, cut 1.9 60ft's and one 1.8, :eyebrows: This year, LU and low stall, can get 3000 rpm and only 10 psi, :(

When you get your turbo to it's peak, you will be pushing the limit of LU on a built converter. What RPM do you get full spool at, and what RPM is your shift point? I've looked at the 35r as a possible future turbo upgrade, but I'm afraid it may spool too late. If it doesn't hit full spool until 5000rpm, and you can't shift higher than 6000rpm, that's not much of a powerband. :(

I want the 4 speed but need a connection in Mexico to get the case. Every little bit helps, the LU should lower it by about 500 rpm.

Why do you need a case from Mexico?

Tuning slowly, I couldn't play with my cal so I left the boost alone, last year, I would have said f*ck it and turned it up, this year, I want my engine to live, so I am taking it SLOWLY.
How much timing is in your cal? With all that octane, you should be able to run plenty of boost safely, unless your spark map is overly aggressive.

turbovanmanČ
09-16-2010, 07:13 PM
When you get your turbo to it's peak, you will be pushing the limit of LU on a built converter. What RPM do you get full spool at, and what RPM is your shift point? I've looked at the 35r as a possible future turbo upgrade, but I'm afraid it may spool too late. If it doesn't hit full spool until 5000rpm, and you can't shift higher than 6000rpm, that's not much of a powerband. :(

LU is only for cruise, it won't be used for drag racing, its too small to hold any sort of boost.

Old setup, with a damaged turbine and tired engine, 4200 I hit full boost, with the new engine and cams, I actually have checked, maybe I'll do it on the way home. I shift at 7000 rpm.

Why do you need a case from Mexico?

Only mexican cars got the 2.2/2.5 with a 4 speed auto.

How much timing is in your cal? With all that octane, you should be able to run plenty of boost safely, unless your spark map is overly aggressive.

Not much right now, but I couldn't change it at the track so I didn't want to mess around, plus i was getting the SES coming on, so I am going to hook up some listening ears to make sure its not a phantom light and its either really knock, or it isn't.

Reaper1
09-17-2010, 12:38 AM
Simon, what's the compression ratio now?

turbovanmanČ
09-17-2010, 01:10 AM
Alky wasn't working so scratch that, my pump is shot, crappy build by sureflow.

Simon, what's the compression ratio now?

I figured out when building it, 8.2:1, I did a compression test a few days after I built it, 150 psi, haven't rechecked it since I did the cam timing.

SebringLX
09-17-2010, 09:25 AM
LU is only for cruise, it won't be used for drag racing, its too small to hold any sort of boost.

With a properly built TC it can hold enough for at least 550whp.

Old setup, with a damaged turbine and tired engine, 4200 I hit full boost, with the new engine and cams, I actually have checked, maybe I'll do it on the way home. I shift at 7000 rpm.

Must be nice to be able to shift that high.

Only mexican cars got the 2.2/2.5 with a 4 speed auto.

I'm sure a 41TE from another engine or vehicle could be made to work. Or you could always just put a 2.4L in the next time you blow up your engine. :D

Not much right now, but I couldn't change it at the track so I didn't want to mess around, plus i was getting the SES coming on, so I am going to hook up some listening ears to make sure its not a phantom light and its either really knock, or it isn't.
How much is "not much"? Unless your idea of "not much" is something crazy like over 30 degrees... there's no way you were getting knock with that low of a boost level. Even with your meth not working, that mix of race gas and 94 should be more than enough for a lot more boost without knock.

I ran 26psi on an E85/93 octane mix, even with leaning out to 12.5:1 :eek: on the top end, I still got 0 knock, and I was running 28 degrees of timing on the top end.

turbovanmanČ
09-17-2010, 01:23 PM
With a properly built TC it can hold enough for at least 550whp.

Maybe it can but not taking any chances, I have enough issues, don't need to be spending more time and money on a fixing a burnt up LU clutch.

Must be nice to be able to shift that high.

It is, its sweet, just sings, :partywoot: I'll have to take some inside footage one day.

I'm sure a 41TE from another engine or vehicle could be made to work. Or you could always just put a 2.4L in the next time you blow up your engine. :D

Maybe, but not in the mood for that plus the starter will be up front, no room on my setup for it to be there. I'll just wait, I'll get one, one day, :D

How much is "not much"? Unless your idea of "not much" is something crazy like over 30 degrees... there's no way you were getting knock with that low of a boost level. Even with your meth not working, that mix of race gas and 94 should be more than enough for a lot more boost without knock.

I ran 26psi on an E85/93 octane mix, even with leaning out to 12.5:1 :eek: on the top end, I still got 0 knock, and I was running 28 degrees of timing on the top end.

Not sure, seriously, the tables in MP Tuner and Dcal don't tell you exact timing, I am lower than stock but with all the changes and the fact I am running an 8 valve template with knock tables, I am NOT sure if its knock or not, so rather than blow my engine, I'll take it slowly, and borrowing some ears next outing.

Not sure why I am getting bashed per say, for going slow in my tune and ramping up my boost, I finally do it the smart way and now getting bashed for not going all out? :confused::confused::confused: Can't win, :(

bakes
09-17-2010, 01:40 PM
Not sure why I am getting bashed per say, for going slow in my tune and ramping up my boost, I finally do it the smart way and now getting bashed for not going all out? :confused::confused::confused: Can't win, :(

there is baby steps and baby cwaling:evil:

turbovanmanČ
09-17-2010, 01:42 PM
there is baby steps and baby cwaling:evil:

I put the offer out, lol, if you paid for my engine, I'd turn up the boost and unhook the knock sensor, :eyebrows: Of course, you bailed, :o

Austrian Dodge
09-17-2010, 05:25 PM
tuning slowly is definitely the better way, but you need to find out your exact timing curve and start from there.

i'd then start tuning with regular gas, once you max out timing/boost with regular gas start adding race gas OR meth.
too many variables imho

but thats just my 0.02 ;)

turbovanmanČ
09-17-2010, 05:33 PM
tuning slowly is definitely the better way, but you need to find out your exact timing curve and start from there.

I know what my curve is, :thumb: just don't know the numbers, which isn't really important.

SebringLX
09-17-2010, 06:32 PM
I know what my curve is, :thumb: just don't know the numbers, which isn't really important.

If you want to tune properly it is.

turbovanmanČ
09-17-2010, 06:50 PM

Yes if I had megasquirt or similiar, but i just pulll the timing table down until it doesn't knock anymore. Numbers don't really mean anything, :thumb:

Force Fed Mopar
09-17-2010, 08:41 PM

Yes if I had megasquirt or similiar, but i just pulll the timing table down until it doesn't knock anymore. Numbers don't really mean anything, :thumb:

Simon you make me LOL:lol::lol::lol:

turbovanmanČ
09-17-2010, 09:03 PM
Simon you make me LOL:lol::lol::lol:

Why? The stock setup, the numbers really mean nothing as there are some other factors that affect timing, so you see 0 degs at the WOT spark table, but you don't really have 0 deg's, so again, no big deal, I just move the line down until it stops knocking, pretty simple, :D

Austrian Dodge
09-18-2010, 07:08 AM
simon we're not talking about the numbers in the stock cal, but total timing which really affects your engines output a lot.

you wanna know how many degrees of total timing you have at e.g. 6000rpm and 18PSI.

turbovanmanČ
09-18-2010, 02:11 PM
simon we're not talking about the numbers in the stock cal, but total timing which really affects your engines output a lot.

you wanna know how many degrees of total timing you have at e.g. 6000rpm and 18PSI.

Again, its too hard to figure out, in Dcal, its not important, I don't care what the numbers are, I just simply move the spark line down until it stops knocking, simple and its worked for us for many years, :thumb:

We also have the stock spark curve to compare too so we can see how much we've taken out, per say.

Aries_Turbo
09-18-2010, 11:00 PM
its not too hard, its just a little bit of a pain.

simon sounds silly but he is right.

if he bumps the timing up till it knocks and then tunes till the engine doesnt knock anymore, it should be pretty close to ideal regardless of the numbers. now if you want to give your timing values to someone else, then you need to know the numbers but no one is going to have the same combo as simon, i can guarantee that.

dont get all coccky now that i said that simon.

i dont know how much total timing i am running in my kcar without doing calculations. i do know that i cant run anymore timing on pump gas or it knocks.

Brian

turbovanmanČ
09-19-2010, 01:34 AM
its not too hard, its just a little bit of a pain.

simon sounds silly but he is right.

if he bumps the timing up till it knocks and then tunes till the engine doesnt knock anymore, it should be pretty close to ideal regardless of the numbers. now if you want to give your timing values to someone else, then you need to know the numbers but no one is going to have the same combo as simon, i can guarantee that.

dont get all ----y now that i said that simon.

i dont know how much total timing i am running in my kcar without doing calculations. i do know that i cant run anymore timing on pump gas or it knocks.

Brian

Hehehehe, my new quote, :evil:

Ondonti
09-23-2010, 02:44 AM
I know you hate this word but since you need a new TC, just spray a 20 shot on the 2nd yellow n go.

Do that until you get the TC you need. You know you won't be setting any records the way you have things setup (18psi etc) so who cares? Terry sprays so lighten up on giving him some crap and do it until you get the right TC, so you can actually have some fun racing.

I didn't move off the line this year in 2 track visits. My year was a bit more frustrating ;)
Plus when I planned to go back for a 3rd visit, I ended up moving to Seattle 4 days before raceday. Fuh. My 60' was infinity you big baby!
60' - INFINITY

turbovanmanČ
09-23-2010, 09:23 PM
I have no problem using :nx:, just don't want to buy a kit and install it, it will cost more than a converter. I actually have one, I just need time to install it, :(

boost geek
09-23-2010, 09:30 PM
Oct 1st, be there! :)

turbovanmanČ
09-23-2010, 09:33 PM
If its dry, I will. I WILL have the new converter in, and maybe my auxillary fuel tank full of C16, :evil:

I won't get there until 11:30 though, have to look after my kids until 11 am, so pit at our usual spot please.

Ondonti
09-24-2010, 12:54 AM
I was thinking you might have a kit sitting around the shop or a buddies to borrow :P

turbovanmanČ
09-24-2010, 01:43 AM
I was thinking you might have a kit sitting around the shop or a buddies to borrow :P

No, but if I did, hmmmmmmmm, :eyebrows:

bakes
09-24-2010, 12:23 PM
I got a cheater setup with a 20lb bottle filled

Vigo
10-01-2010, 01:06 AM
my auxillary fuel tank

Gwhaaaa?
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRkz9dLBoKGGMO3uqeiRRo_3Ica5MhZM 26OCZ2hZ7SUHrSWNG8&t=1&usg=__vqq1mO6UoV6gC_nA-rCGM11Zs9I=

do tell about this aux fuel tank..

turbovanmanČ
10-01-2010, 01:08 AM
Gwhaaaa?
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRkz9dLBoKGGMO3uqeiRRo_3Ica5MhZM 26OCZ2hZ7SUHrSWNG8&t=1&usg=__vqq1mO6UoV6gC_nA-rCGM11Zs9I=

do tell about this aux fuel tank..

I bought a 5 gallon fuel cell just so I can run C16 at the track, still haven't installed it yet. Just finished putting the new TC in, changing the cam timing, fixing some oil leaks, installing the new alky pump and then go for a drive.

Vigo
10-01-2010, 01:22 AM
Sweet... Glad you bit the bullet and swapped that thing in in time to get some track time still..:thumb:

Ok, i was thinking you had some kind of 2nd tank installed under the van that was all permanent and such. Thanks for the explanation!

turbovanmanČ
10-01-2010, 12:42 PM
Sweet... Glad you bit the bullet and swapped that thing in in time to get some track time still..:thumb:

Ok, i was thinking you had some kind of 2nd tank installed under the van that was all permanent and such. Thanks for the explanation!

Yes, the tank will be permanent under the van, :thumb:

New converter rocks, hits at 4500, like a friggin freight train, :clap:

Heading out in an hour to the track, so fingers crossed. :o

SebringLX
10-01-2010, 02:34 PM
Got everything ready to go BEFORE you go to the track this time?

i.e. made sure you can tune/make adjustments as needed?

Reaper1
10-01-2010, 04:26 PM
Good luck! :thumb: Hope to hear some good results later tonight! :D

turbovanmanČ
10-02-2010, 01:56 AM
Nothing to report, f*cking horrible day, what a waste of time, :mad:
go here-

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showpost.php?p=720068&postcount=672

Reaper1
10-02-2010, 05:41 PM
D@mn it, man....that sucks! I wonder if it is actually pinging? Did you pull the plugs to confirm? Maybe it's an overactive knock sensor?

turbovanmanČ
10-02-2010, 06:56 PM
D@mn it, man....that sucks! I wonder if it is actually pinging? Did you pull the plugs to confirm? Maybe it's an overactive knock sensor?

When I turn it up to 20, you can hear it.

Reaper1
10-03-2010, 12:44 PM
Hmm..ok. Well, that sucks then!