PDA

View Full Version : 1985 GLHT Rookie needs tuning set up

PunKid
09-10-2010, 09:42 AM
Ok here the deal, still super new to Turbo Mopars, and no matter how much I read on the forum and the knowledge center I cant seam to figure out exactly what I need.

So here is what I want to do.

I have 1985 GLHT bone stock. I would love to be able to monitor the sensors and do simple tests similar to your everyday scan tool. Once I have the car together I would like to get into some basic tuning and data logging. Finally at some point I would like to intercool it and maybe convert to a T2 set up.

I have no problem tuning, I ran a lot of cars on the dyno in the early 2000s and have a few friends with mega squirt. I am just really having trouble with the lingo and abbreviations on the forum and it makes me feel lost ha. I feel like I just need to get into it so everything I read on this forum makes a little more sense.

So lets start with the basic. what do I need to do just to hook up to the computer similar to a basic scan tool.

ShelGame
09-10-2010, 10:37 AM
The '85 computer is a unique animal. Not sure if can be done. Your best bet is to upgrade to '87 T2 electronics (using a non l-body logic module - LM). I think that's your best bet if you want to be datalogging and tuning your own cals. Should be pretty easy, I think you might have to get a later model distributor...

PunKid
09-10-2010, 10:47 AM
Yea the more I read the more I keep seeing that the L-body stuff is pretty unique and then the 85 was real unique.

So basically if I upgrade to T2 electronics, will I still be able to run my T1 drivetrain until I can get the rest of the physical components.

Also is the later model distributor the same for turbo and TBI cars? mine has that dual HEP sensor thing

ShelGame
09-10-2010, 11:38 AM
No, all the turbo distributors had the dual HEP's.

Actually, doing a log cal on '87 T1 electronics might be difficult. Maybe wait until you're ready to convert to T2 status to upgrade the electronics. I don't know of anyone datalogging and tuning a log T1 like that.

PunKid
09-10-2010, 12:33 PM
Ok here is another question. do all T1 cars have the log intake manifold style "suck through", or were some blow through?

*Edit*

Ok I did some more reading the KC and answered my own question

ShelGame
09-10-2010, 01:24 PM
Yeah, the '88 +T1 was a blow thru. '88 was a 2.2+mitsu turbo, 89 and up were 2.5+mitsu turbo...

cordes
09-10-2010, 01:24 PM
I would just mess with the boost until you are ready to go TII. If you don't want to go with a TII setup I would switch to 86-87' TI because there is more support for those cals.

turbovanmanČ
09-10-2010, 04:49 PM
Yeah, the '88 +T1 was a blow thru. '88 was a 2.2+mitsu turbo, 89 and up were 2.5+mitsu turbo...

Don't forget 87 TII were blow thru, :p

PunKid
09-13-2010, 08:31 AM
Lets say I still wanted to do some diagnostics and maybe some real basic tuning with my current T1 suck through set up, what is the stuff I need to get, and how much. I don't know how quick this project will progress, but I think my weakest point is under standing the calibrations. My thinking is to get into the tuning with the current set up and once I get sick of the T1, upgrade everything. Even if that means getting the LM computer.

I am a big fan of slow progression. I haven't even driven one of these cars, let alone a T1. So give me a break down of the parts I need to crack into this computer.

1FastCSX289
09-13-2010, 09:50 AM
You could always get yourself a wide band set up and an EGT gauge to keep an eye on things as you crank up the boost on the factory set up. I run the logworks software with my innovate LM-1 wideband and I can data log anything I want independently from the factory computer. Its just a matter of setting up the paramaters within logworks. Get yourself an adjustable fuel pressure regulator and you could do minor fuel tweaks by manually adjusting fuel pressure. Like others have said there isnt really a way to tune with dcal or mptuner on the older stuff, but you can still make some basic (small) fuel and timing adjustments the old school way.

Also, there are a few that are spraying methanol at their log set up which allows them to run more boost. The wideband and EGT would come in handy if you chose to go this route until its time to intercool.

ShelGame
09-13-2010, 10:03 AM
Lets say I still wanted to do some diagnostics and maybe some real basic tuning with my current T1 suck through set up, what is the stuff I need to get, and how much. I don't know how quick this project will progress, but I think my weakest point is under standing the calibrations. My thinking is to get into the tuning with the current set up and once I get sick of the T1, upgrade everything. Even if that means getting the LM computer.

I am a big fan of slow progression. I haven't even driven one of these cars, let alone a T1. So give me a break down of the parts I need to crack into this computer.

The problem is, not a whole lot of work has been done with the T1 blow-thru setup as far as calibrations go. There are files posted here with decently defined table files. So, you should be able to do some basic tweaking to it. I don't know if anyone has ever done a 3-bar big injector type of cal for them, though.

PunKid
09-13-2010, 11:24 AM
Like others have said there isnt really a way to tune with dcal or mptuner on the older stuff

do these programs not work with the older T1 suck through computer because of a difference in software? or just not many people do it, so not much is known?

I still dont know enough to ask the right questions. Thats why I would like to just get the hooked up to the computer and start tinkering.

cordes
09-13-2010, 11:40 AM
do these programs not work with the older T1 suck through computer because of a difference in software? or just not many people do it, so not much is known?

I still dont know enough to ask the right questions. Thats why I would like to just get the hooked up to the computer and start tinkering.

They work with the cal, but the cal doesn't have much support since nobody uses them. Therefore, the table definitions etc. aren't the best. You can still get by with them if you do a lot of reading though.

PunKid
09-14-2010, 08:18 AM
When you say Calibration your talking about the stock calibration on the T1 suck through?

So I have been reading and I think in order to data log I need to follow this set up.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/vbarticles.php?do=article&articleid=95

And in order to make my own Calibrations I need to follow this set up.

http://www.omniglht.com/board.html

cordes
09-14-2010, 10:14 AM
When you say Calibration your talking about the stock calibration on the T1 suck through?

So I have been reading and I think in order to data log I need to follow this set up.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/vbarticles.php?do=article&articleid=95

And in order to make my own Calibrations I need to follow this set up.

http://www.omniglht.com/board.html

That should get you going. However, on the board socketing side you will need to remove the chip I show on the site and also the one below it. The 85 stuff has info on the two chips and both will need to be adjusted unlike the 87' which has it on one.

moparman76_69
09-21-2010, 06:47 PM
If your going to go 87 electronics your only an intake and intercooler away from fully converting the car over, so I wouldn't worry about anything until converting it over if that's your eventual goal anyway.

roachjuice
09-21-2010, 08:27 PM
i would never tune or intercool a log setup. just a waste imo. convert to t2 and 87 lm. works great.