PDA

View Full Version : Axle Leak from Hell....

inmyshadow
06-20-2006, 05:05 PM
Man, am I getting my butt kicked by this oil leak.

last year, shortly after installing my A568 into my convertible the driver's side axle seal started leaking.

So, I replaced the seal. That only held back the oil for a week. I shortly tried another seal, but still no luck.

A month ago, i give it another try. This time I used a different axle and Mopar seal. This axle used was from my previous shadow. It had be used with my A568 with no problems. The original axle had a groove worn into the sealing surface. Friend suggested trying a different axle because of said groove.

That worked for a few weeks. Then while on my back doing a timing belt, I saw the drip of oil hanging down from the bottom of the tranny.

Today, I decided to try realigning my motor and then some. Seems the passenger side motor mount didn't have slotted mounting holes. So I put in a fairly new one from the previous shadow. Those holes were slotted. So I used my prybar, pushed the motor over to driver's side and quickly hit the two bolts with the impact gun.

Then I went underneath to make sure there was no tension on the front mount. I loosened the fasteners, moving the bracket all the way to the driver's side then tighten with impact gun.

Since the solid front motor mount is too soft in my mind, I decided to adjust the preload on my rear semi-solid mount.

Now my motor doesn't bounce around as much, but that damn axle seal is still leaking.

I've pretty much done what I can do get this to stop leaking. I was thinking, perhaps my inner joint was broken again. But the last time it happened, I got a huge vibration in the drivetrain. Plus, the leak was happening with two seperate half shafts.

Anybody have some ideas to throw out?

turbovanmanČ
06-20-2006, 08:08 PM
Have you tried to move the axle at the trans up and down. If the carrier bearing wears, the diff will move around and cause the axle to leak. Can you visually see if the axle is going all the way in?

inmyshadow
06-20-2006, 09:13 PM
I can't move the shaft up and down.

And when under car today, I was able to see the axle all the way in.

Have you tried to move the axle at the trans up and down. If the carrier bearing wears, the diff will move around and cause the axle to leak. Can you visually see if the axle is going all the way in?

Stevien1
06-20-2006, 09:59 PM
Based on what you've already replaced, it's either the carrier bearings or the RTV that seals the steel bearing support to the trans case......

-Chuck James

inmyshadow
06-20-2006, 10:14 PM
The oil is coming out of the seal. As I stated, this morning the half didn't move around. This leak has been going on for a year now. If the carrier bearing was failing, I wouldn't think it would have lasted this long. Nor is my tranny making any funny noises or acting funny.

Plus the tranny was working fine with no leaks in my previous shadow. Before going it to the previous shadow, it was completely rebuilt by Cliff.

After replacing the seal/axle last month, the leak is alot less. Before doing the repair, the undercarriage of my car was soaked with oil. So much oil, I had to replace my swaybar bushings. Now it doesn't nothing gets wet.

I'm think this inner joint maynot be broken, but the spring doesn't have the tension to keep the axle complete in the tranny under certain conditions.

Based on what you've already replaced, it's either the carrier bearings or the RTV that seals the steel bearing support to the trans case......

-Chuck James

Stevien1
06-21-2006, 12:03 AM
For all these times you've replaced the oil seal, did you check to see if the oil baffle is still in place behind the seal? Sounds like you've already made up your mind for what's wrong. :thumb:

-Chuck James

Marcus86GLHS
06-21-2006, 05:37 AM
axle leak from hell you got that right.

two things:
make an appointment with Cliff to have him troubleshoot and do corrective action. you've done all you can at this point.

meanwhile, get a decal made for that car: Warning: Exxon Valdez

.........and stay out of your dad's driveway........ and mine.
:-)

GLHSKEN
06-21-2006, 06:45 AM
I'm with Chuck and Simon... BTW, If it's the drivers side, then it IS the passenger bearing... Had the same issue Cliff diagnosed it for me...

inmyshadow
06-21-2006, 05:34 PM
I'll crawl underneath next week. I'll unbolt the intermediate shaft and check for up/down play.

If this has been going on for over year, what other symptoms could there be?

WVRampage
06-22-2006, 01:38 AM
That makes sence that a bearing could cause it too happen but it should have failed in the last year,im gona tear mine apart soon to find out why mine is leaking so bad.

TurboJerry
06-22-2006, 02:06 AM
You can drive for quite a while with bad diff. bearings. And it may still be quiet....... Strange but true. A friend had the seals replaced 3 or 4 times. When I pulled it apart there was huge gouges in the outer races and a mile of play. I put new ones in, and set preload correct, new seals, and no more leaks. So it's possible to have a problem and there are no symptoms...... Except for that !@#!@#$@#$#%^ leak!

WVRampage
06-23-2006, 12:13 AM
sythetic makes it real bad.

GLHSKEN
06-23-2006, 06:48 AM
LOL... You have to take the output housing off. When I removed mine to look inside.. Everything looked fine. Reached in... didn't feel fine... Just a slight touch caused ALL the bearings to fall out..